Powerbuilder Cursor & Stored Procedure

Hi,

I am new to Powerbuilder 9.0, I have some queries
Can anyone tell what maximum number of rows a curosor can hold? Is
there a way to specify maximum limit a cursor can hold in powerbuilder
9.0?
will it better to use the query from which cursor is built, to create
a stored procedure.
also what maximum number of rows a stored procedure can hold?

Please give me advise on use of stored proc Vs. Cursor

0
hahihu007
2/4/2007 3:53:26 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 18 followers. Follow

3 Replies
480 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 28

The size of a cursor is driven by the number of rows that the underlying 
query returns.

Cursors are "server-side" implementations - PowerBuilder runs on the client, 
so you wouldn't use PB to control cursor "size".

Stored procedures don't "hold" rows.  I don't typically use stored 
procedures, unless the business logic of the question I'm answering is too 
complex to solve in a single query.

And then, I use datawindows - not cursors.  Cursors are hard.  Datawindows 
are easy.

Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

<hahihu007@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:1170604406.010271.207650@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Powerbuilder 9.0, I have some queries
> Can anyone tell what maximum number of rows a curosor can hold? Is
> there a way to specify maximum limit a cursor can hold in powerbuilder
> 9.0?
> will it better to use the query from which cursor is built, to create
> a stored procedure.
> also what maximum number of rows a stored procedure can hold?
>
> Please give me advise on use of stored proc Vs. Cursor
> 


0
Paul
2/4/2007 5:45:32 PM
to add to that:
cursors are also expensive in terms of database locks and memory etc.
cursors are (imo) a work-around for people who don't have powerbuilder.
They are also often overused by developers who can't/won't code in sql to 
process full sets and try to do everything a row at a time.
Avoid cursors.....



"Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <phoran AT sybase DOT com> wrote in message 
news:45c629cc$1@forums-1-dub...
> The size of a cursor is driven by the number of rows that the underlying query 
> returns.
>
> Cursors are "server-side" implementations - PowerBuilder runs on the client, 
> so you wouldn't use PB to control cursor "size".
>
> Stored procedures don't "hold" rows.  I don't typically use stored procedures, 
> unless the business logic of the question I'm answering is too complex to 
> solve in a single query.
>
> And then, I use datawindows - not cursors.  Cursors are hard.  Datawindows are 
> easy.
>
> Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
>
> <hahihu007@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
> news:1170604406.010271.207650@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new to Powerbuilder 9.0, I have some queries
>> Can anyone tell what maximum number of rows a curosor can hold? Is
>> there a way to specify maximum limit a cursor can hold in powerbuilder
>> 9.0?
>> will it better to use the query from which cursor is built, to create
>> a stored procedure.
>> also what maximum number of rows a stored procedure can hold?
>>
>> Please give me advise on use of stored proc Vs. Cursor
>>
>
> 


0
M
2/5/2007 5:29:28 PM
IIRC, PB is actually using a cursor on the server side to populate a 
DataWindow or DataStore.  They will be much more efficient than explicitly 
coding the cursor because a lot of work is handled internally without as 
many messages back and forth to the server.
I can think of some very limited cases in which I might choose to use a 
cursor, and even then I would probably prefer to use a stored procedure if 
the DBMS supports what I need to do.
What are you trying to accomplish and what problems are you running into?

"M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
news:45c77788$1@forums-1-dub...
> to add to that:
> cursors are also expensive in terms of database locks and memory etc.
> cursors are (imo) a work-around for people who don't have powerbuilder.
> They are also often overused by developers who can't/won't code in sql to 
> process full sets and try to do everything a row at a time.
> Avoid cursors.....
>
>
>
> "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <phoran AT sybase DOT com> wrote in message 
> news:45c629cc$1@forums-1-dub...
>> The size of a cursor is driven by the number of rows that the underlying 
>> query returns.
>>
>> Cursors are "server-side" implementations - PowerBuilder runs on the 
>> client, so you wouldn't use PB to control cursor "size".
>>
>> Stored procedures don't "hold" rows.  I don't typically use stored 
>> procedures, unless the business logic of the question I'm answering is 
>> too complex to solve in a single query.
>>
>> And then, I use datawindows - not cursors.  Cursors are hard. 
>> Datawindows are easy.
>>
>> Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
>>
>> <hahihu007@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
>> news:1170604406.010271.207650@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am new to Powerbuilder 9.0, I have some queries
>>> Can anyone tell what maximum number of rows a curosor can hold? Is
>>> there a way to specify maximum limit a cursor can hold in powerbuilder
>>> 9.0?
>>> will it better to use the query from which cursor is built, to create
>>> a stored procedure.
>>> also what maximum number of rows a stored procedure can hold?
>>>
>>> Please give me advise on use of stored proc Vs. Cursor
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
Jerry
2/5/2007 5:50:33 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Impact Analysis Powerbuilder & Tables & Stored Procedures
I have 2 datamodels: One with tables & stored procedures One with datawindows & nvos I want to do an impact analysis against a table and list all the datawindows and stored procedures that call it. Is this possible? Thank you Worst case is you can create your own relationships using the Extended Dependency. Those can be created between any objects ( i think ). So at a minimum you can build them. Is there some way to do this automatically, I don't know. There's always VBScript if nothing else. To do IA you need to link the objects. Here is how you can do it. ...

PowerBuilder 10.5 & Oracle stored procedure
Dear All, Previously I did posted two problems regarding stored procedure with powerbuilder 10.5. During that time people gave different suggestions. But no one agreed that same issue simulated. But here is my observation: PowerBuilder 10.5 Build 4500 Oracle database Server: 9.2.0.1.0 Oracle Client installed 9.2.0.1.0 Driver used: "O90" or "O84" When I try to declare a procedure variable for a stored procedure in PB or If I select a stored procedure as data source for DW, the application getting killed. But the same works fine in the following environme...

DB2 V4 STORED STORED PROCEDURE AND POWERBUILDER
I have finally been able to call a stored procedure written in cobol from powerbuilder 6. But I still got some problem . The call will work only if I initialize the output parameter to space (80) because the output parameter of the stored procedure is char(80) . Here is a sample that works. string ls_literal_OUTMSGF string ls_literal_RQT Ls_literal_RQT = 'I' ls_literal_OUTMSGF = space(80) SQLCA.TESTPROC (ls_literal_RQT, ls_literal_OUTMSGF ) If I initialize the output variable like the following statements. It bombs.(communication error) setnull ( ls_literal_OUTMSGF...

Stored procedure in powerbuilder
I'm having trouble using a stored procedure in Powerbuilder. I'm trying to create a datawindow based on the stored procedure sa_conn_info, but when I select the stored procedure initially in the design of the DW the database-server crashes. Any ideas? -- I'm using Powerbuilder 5.0.02 32bit Database: Sql Anywhere 5.5 OS: Windows 95 Jan Erik Hermansen Norway -- ------ I'm using Powerbuilder 5.0.02 32bit Database: Sql Anywhere 5.5 OS: Windows 95 Jan Erik Hermansen Norway Jan Erik Hermansen wrote: > I'm having trouble using a stored proc...

Stored procedure in powerbuilder
hi there could anyone help me on how to define a transaction userobject to hold all my SP on sybase system12 to be controled and managed in easy way thanks in advance Barents/KPMG Waleed Seada Create a new object inherited from a standard transaction object. You can define local external RPC functions on this object and use the stored procedures there. Use this object instead of the standard transaction object for SQLCA. Then, you can call your stored procedures like: SQLCA.proc_stored_procedure (ll_argument1, ll_argument2, ...) HTH "Waleed Seada" <w...

Stored procedure from PowerBuilder...
Cheers all! I'm developing a small aplication using SQL Anywhere. I have a huge stored procedure with a lot of INSERT statements. How can I check from PowerBuilder if they all succeeded? I assume that DECLARE statement must have an information of the return parameter , but I don't know how to handle it. Anyone knows the answer? Please don't cross post your questions. -- David Fishburn Sybase Please only post to the newsgroup TechWave 2000 July 30 - August 3 /2000 http://www.sybase.com/techwave2000 Sybase Developers Network http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/m...

Stored procedure in powerbuilder
hi there could anyone help me on how to define a transaction userobject to hold all my SP on sybase system12 to be controled and managed in easy way thanks in advance Barents/KPMG Waleed Seada Create a new object inherited from a standard transaction object. You can define local external RPC functions on this object and use the stored procedures there. Use this object instead of the standard transaction object for SQLCA. Then, you can call your stored procedures like: SQLCA.proc_stored_procedure (ll_argument1, ll_argument2, ...) HTH "Waleed Seada" <w...

Powerbuilder datawindow + stored procedure
database ASA 7 When we build a datawindow in powerbuilder we choose the table and the columns to build it. There is also the possibility to build a datawindow from a stored procedure. Is a stored procedure running faster because the database remembers the execution plan? Thanks Eric "ontsnapt" <ontsnapt@hotmail.com> wrote: > database ASA 7 > > When we build a datawindow in powerbuilder we choose the table and the > columns to build it. There is also the possibility to build a datawindow > from a stored procedure. > > Is a stored...

Running Stored procedures from PowerBuilder
powerBuilder 9 and Sybase 9.0.2.3534 When we execute a stored procedure from a data window PowerBuilder is using Exec instead of Call which is causing an error during runtime. I know both Exec and Call can be used in SQL Anywhere 9.0.2.3534, however Exec needs to execute without parenthesis and Call with Parenthesis to be successful. Is there a setting or something in Powerbuilder to ensure the execute statements are being built correctly? Thanks You may need to repost to the Powerbuilder newsgroups to get at the accurate specifics of how to fix this ... but .... I suspect th...

No ANSI Stored Procedures from Powerbuilder
Like I could perform in Powerbuilder Stored Procedures not writings in Standard ANSI ! msenatore@softpi.it PLEASE do not crossspost. -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com ** Please only post to the newsgroup ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm ** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com <SPI> wrote in message news:991F4797258FDFF90038439C85256C47.003843AC85256C47@webfo...

ORACLE Stored Procedures in PowerBuilder
I am trying to pass a dynamic procedure name and dynamic number of arguments to a DECLARE and EXECUTE (procedurename) statement within Powerbuilder 6.5. The name and number of arguments are stored on a table and they are syntactically extracted into variables. Any suggestions? ...

Calling stored procedure from powerbuilder
I have a work flow type stored procedure that dynamically executes other stored procedures. When it run from the back end (SQL Server 2000) it completes with out errors. When it runs from powerbuilder using a datastore it behaves differently =96 it does not complete all the procedures but returns with out any error. Aside of using a debugger that can steps through store procedures which are called from a client are there some things that can be checked first? Can anyone recommend such tool? Thanks, Alon Thanks, Alon. If you have Visual C++, it will allow you to ...

Calling a DB2 Stored Procedure From PowerBuilder
Is this possible? We have a stored procedure declared in DB2 on the mainframe and, I have no idea how I would go about calling this procedure. Any ideas/insight is appreciated. Thanks! >>Is this possible? We have a stored procedure declared in DB2 on the mainframe and, I have no idea how I would go about calling this procedure. Any ideas/insight is appreciated<< You can use the Sybase Direct Connect driver to connect to DB2. Once that is done, I would assume that you should be able to see and invoke the stored procs in the same way as with stored procs in any...

Using Oracle Stored Procedures in Powerbuilder
I need to populate a datawindow using an Oracle stored procedure. I went through various faxline documents and found that the PBDBMS.put_line option was not useful in my case, as I was going to return multiple result sets based on cursor processing. I took the suggested option of creating a package which had a stored procedure which was returning various output variables of type table. The output variables correspond to each column of the datawindow. I will have to define the procedure as an RPC in the transaction object. I am having a problem with this. When I go into Local external f...

Web resources about - Powerbuilder Cursor & Stored Procedure - sybase.powerbuilder.general

PowerBuilder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PowerBuilder is an integrated development environment owned by Sybase , a division of SAP . It has been in use since 1991, peaking around 1998 ...

Sybase PowerBuilder tool readied for Microsoft's .Net
... Win32 or newer style .Net development After several years of work, Sybase is ready to deliver on the final step in its plan to move PowerBuilder ...

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

Open Directory - Computers: Programming: Languages
about dmoz - dmoz blog - report abuse/spam - help the entire directory only in Programming/Languages Description Top : Computers : Programming ...

The HP Booth Staff (Goons) Owe Me an Apology
... when you might need to use it. For instance, when I was in the WinRunner world there were plugins for driving terminal emulators and powerbuilder ...

Contact Us - Sybase Inc
Thanks for visiting the 主页 section of Sybase.com. Here you will find information about Contact Us. For more information about Business Intelligence, ...

热门搜索 - 我的异常网
... 我的异常网 » 热门搜索 sdpnet2 移动【A111】其它用户原因鉴权失败,是什么意思啊 http:// 192.168.1.102:22578 本网站服务器位于美国,受美国法律保护 MiniUI js 破解 http://192.168.1.103:8080/ powerbuilder ...

Mobile app security: Always keep the back door locked
The best way to keep mobile apps safe is to secure the services they connect to.

10 Tech Skills That Will Instantly Net You A $100,000+ Salary
... that let's developers run Java applications. Java is highly popular language for writing web apps and custom enterprise apps. No. 8: PowerBuilder ...

Top Ranked Articles
Top Ranked Articles - Free source code and tutorials for Software developers and Architects.; Updated: 23 Feb 2013

Resources last updated: 11/23/2015 11:02:30 PM