Powerbuilder based 'trial' and 'copy protection' for a PB app.

Hello all,

Has anyone written a Powerbuilder based control or library
for copy protecting and licensing a Powerbuilder application
?

I would like to offer customers a 30 day free trial and then
be able to provide them an unlock license key to license the
software on a particular computer.

I have found the commercial solutions to be complicated and
cumbersome and expensive expensive.
0
Dave
6/23/2010 2:54:03 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 11 followers. Follow

you should post this question over in the commercial-isv.general newsgroup

"Dave P" wrote in message news:4c22200b.7a89.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hello all,
>
> Has anyone written a Powerbuilder based control or library
> for copy protecting and licensing a Powerbuilder application
> ?
>
> I would like to offer customers a 30 day free trial and then
> be able to provide them an unlock license key to license the
> software on a particular computer.
>
> I have found the commercial solutions to be complicated and
> cumbersome and expensive expensive.
Hi Dave;

  That would be a nice Value Added Feature in PB IMHO. I
wonder how hard it would be to bundle Sysam into the PB IDE?
Then have a project deployment option so that you could
install SySam into your application. SySam could then
control your EXE like is does already in the PB IDE. You
would only have to generate a LIC file for 30 days and Sysam
would nw control your application's EXE for that period.

  I should run PB development!  :-)

Regards ... Chris

> Hello all,
>
> Has anyone written a Powerbuilder based control or library
> for copy protecting and licensing a Powerbuilder
> application ?
>
> I would like to offer customers a 30 day free trial and
> then be able to provide them an unlock license key to
> license the software on a particular computer.
>
> I have found the commercial solutions to be complicated
> and cumbersome and expensive expensive.
0
Chris
6/23/2010 4:10:41 PM
Hello and thanks for responding.

Is this a sybase newsgroup ? I cant seem to find it.

> you should post this question over in the
> commercial-isv.general newsgroup
>
> "Dave P" wrote in message
> > news:4c22200b.7a89.1681692777@sybase.com... Hello all,
> >
> > Has anyone written a Powerbuilder based control or
> > library for copy protecting and licensing a Powerbuilder
> > application ?
> >
> > I would like to offer customers a 30 day free trial and
> > then be able to provide them an unlock license key to
> > license the software on a particular computer.
> >
> > I have found the commercial solutions to be complicated
> > and cumbersome and expensive expensive.
0
Dave
6/23/2010 6:41:20 PM
sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
You should be able to find it on the forums.sybase.com server - which
you are connected to because you were able to post here ;-)

Report Bugs to Sybase:  http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
Product Enhancement Requests:

On 6/23/2010 2:41 PM, Dave P wrote:
> Hello and thanks for responding.
>
> Is this a sybase newsgroup ? I cant seem to find it.
>
>> you should post this question over in the
>> commercial-isv.general newsgroup
>>
>> "Dave P" wrote in message
>>> news:4c22200b.7a89.1681692777@sybase.com... Hello all,
>>>
>>> Has anyone written a Powerbuilder based control or
>>> library for copy protecting and licensing a Powerbuilder
>>> application ?
>>>
>>> I would like to offer customers a 30 day free trial and
>>> then be able to provide them an unlock license key to
>>> license the software on a particular computer.
>>>
>>> I have found the commercial solutions to be complicated
>>> and cumbersome and expensive expensive.
0
Jerry
6/23/2010 6:56:44 PM
Sybase licensed it from another company and changed the name to SySam so
they wouldn't be able to support it's use within deployed applications.
Developers would need to license it directly from the vendor.

<Chris Pollach> wrote in message news:4c223201.7d0a.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi Dave;
>
>  That would be a nice Value Added Feature in PB IMHO. I
> wonder how hard it would be to bundle Sysam into the PB IDE?
> Then have a project deployment option so that you could
> install SySam into your application. SySam could then
> control your EXE like is does already in the PB IDE. You
> would only have to generate a LIC file for 30 days and Sysam
> would nw control your application's EXE for that period.
>
>  I should run PB development!  :-)
>
> Regards ... Chris
>

>> Hello all,
>>
>> Has anyone written a Powerbuilder based control or library
>> for copy protecting and licensing a Powerbuilder
>> application ?
>>
>> I would like to offer customers a 30 day free trial and
>> then be able to provide them an unlock license key to
>> license the software on a particular computer.
>>
>> I have found the commercial solutions to be complicated
>> and cumbersome and expensive expensive.

0
Roland
6/23/2010 7:53:42 PM
Hi Roland;

  Thanks ... Oh well, a good idea while it lasted.     :-(

Regards ... Chris
President: OSUG / STD Inc.
Blog: http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com

"Roland Smith [TeamSybase]" <rsmith_at_trusthss_dot_com> wrote in message
> Sybase licensed it from another company and changed the name to SySam so
> they wouldn't be able to support it's use within deployed applications.
> Developers would need to license it directly from the vendor.
>
> <Chris Pollach> wrote in message
>> Hi Dave;
>>
>>  That would be a nice Value Added Feature in PB IMHO. I
>> wonder how hard it would be to bundle Sysam into the PB IDE?
>> Then have a project deployment option so that you could
>> install SySam into your application. SySam could then
>> control your EXE like is does already in the PB IDE. You
>> would only have to generate a LIC file for 30 days and Sysam
>> would nw control your application's EXE for that period.
>>
>>  I should run PB development!  :-)
>>
>> Regards ... Chris
>>

>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Has anyone written a Powerbuilder based control or library
>>> for copy protecting and licensing a Powerbuilder
>>> application ?
>>>
>>> I would like to offer customers a 30 day free trial and
>>> then be able to provide them an unlock license key to
>>> license the software on a particular computer.
>>>
>>> I have found the commercial solutions to be complicated
>>> and cumbersome and expensive expensive.

0
Chris
6/24/2010 2:02:31 AM
Do honestly think SySam is a good idea? If anything kills PB it will be
SySam. imho

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote in message
> Hi Roland;
>
>  Thanks ... Oh well, a good idea while it lasted.     :-(
>

> Regards ... Chris
> President: OSUG / STD Inc.
> Blog: http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
>

> "Roland Smith [TeamSybase]" <rsmith_at_trusthss_dot_com> wrote in message
>> Sybase licensed it from another company and changed the name to SySam so
>> they wouldn't be able to support it's use within deployed applications.
>> Developers would need to license it directly from the vendor.
>>
>> <Chris Pollach> wrote in message
>>> Hi Dave;
>>>
>>>  That would be a nice Value Added Feature in PB IMHO. I
>>> wonder how hard it would be to bundle Sysam into the PB IDE?
>>> Then have a project deployment option so that you could
>>> install SySam into your application. SySam could then
>>> control your EXE like is does already in the PB IDE. You
>>> would only have to generate a LIC file for 30 days and Sysam
>>> would nw control your application's EXE for that period.
>>>
>>>  I should run PB development!  :-)
>>>
>>> Regards ... Chris

0
Mark
6/24/2010 12:31:51 PM
ROFL ... yep, that started another downward curve in the PB usage in Ottawa.
My Government clients really hate it. It seems to have really thrown a curve
in the initial GA release as Sybase had to patch it twice to get the Evals
to work right.

I do understand why Sybase wanted to use something like that though to curb
illegal copies. I guess its a part of software cracking life in the fast
lane.

However, integrated something like Sysam into the applications right from PB
would be a kool feature IMHO. Not to mention building an MSI file that can
actually install your entire application and not just the PB runtime. Now
wouldn't that be attractive to the user base.  :-)