PowerBuilder Application

Hi,
I've came across with this situation of a friend of mine that some time ago
bought a car dealer application developed with Powerbuilder, and now the
software company went out of business. The software company never provided
him with any installation CD's for the program so if something happens to
the computer he will loose all the information and won't be able to use the
program.
My question is how can i make a backup copy of the program so that it can be
restored later in case something happens to the computer.

I've identified the program files, database files and a "pbdk6" folder, and
made a copy to try to get the program running on another computer. Of course
it is not working, i'm getting error messages when trying to enter the
program. I've noticed also that "Powersoft 6.0 Deployment Kit" is listed on
the "Add/Remove Programs" list on Control Panel.
I would appreciate any tips on this.
Thank you!

0
pbspbs

Hi, pbspbs,

The PB Deployment kit (pbdk6) contains the database drivers necessary to
hook the PB app to its data. You have several issues to deal with, both
regarding the DK and the PB app itself:

DK:
 1) get the appropriate drivers (ODBC) installed and make the system aware
of them
 2) set up the ODBC data sources for the program to use
 3) make sure that the deployment kit folder is in your path

APP
 4) set up an application path that includes all of the program files
 5) set up application icons and such
 6) make sure the database files are installed

1,2,3,and 4 can be manually forced into (and exported from the original
machine) the windows registry if necessary. A better approach for 1,2 and 3
would be to contact Sybase and see if you can get a PB6 deployment kit so
you can perform an installation. I don't know what their policy is for this.
If you can't get a DK, I'll find the appropriate registry keys for you and
we'll see if we can brute-force it through.

You'll need to identify what DBMS is being used so that you can install the
appropriate driver. What (if any) extension do the database files have?

A lot of this will involve working through the registry and finding out
what's set up for your app. Do you have any way to contact anyone from the
dead software company to get some quick answers?

--
Regards,
Millard[TeamSybase]
pbspbs wrote in message ...
>Hi,
>I've came across with this situation of a friend of mine that some time ago
>bought a car dealer application developed with Powerbuilder, and now the
>software company went out of business. The software company never provided
>him with any installation CD's for the program so if something happens to
>the computer he will loose all the information and won't be able to use the
>program.
>My question is how can i make a backup copy of the program so that it can
be
>restored later in case something happens to the computer.
>
>I've identified the program files, database files and a "pbdk6" folder, and
>made a copy to try to get the program running on another computer. Of
course
>it is not working, i'm getting error messages when trying to enter the
>program. I've noticed also that "Powersoft 6.0 Deployment Kit" is listed on
>the "Add/Remove Programs" list on Control Panel.
>I would appreciate any tips on this.
>Thank you!

0
Millard
1/4/2001 3:34:11 PM
The most important issue you have to deal with is to backup your custom
application. You can always recover the PowerBuilder software one way or
another.

To backup your PB custom application:

1) backup all files that end with .pbl (without that you are hosed...)
2) next best thing backup all files that end with .pbd and the .exe file
that is behind the program icon.
3) backup any .ini and/or .reg files
4) depending on your database backup the corresponding data file.
5) backup anything related to the application software. documents
(.txt,.doc) any SQL script files .sql etc.
6) if it was a good software company they may even have a datamodel, look
for .er1 files (if they used ErWin).

If you some or all of this information then another PB programmer could
possibly support your application.

--
Kim Berghall
Sisu Group, Inc.

"pbspbs" <pbs@netcabo.pt> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've came across with this situation of a friend of mine that some time
ago
> bought a car dealer application developed with Powerbuilder, and now the
> software company went out of business. The software company never provided
> him with any installation CD's for the program so if something happens to
> the computer he will loose all the information and won't be able to use
the
> program.
> My question is how can i make a backup copy of the program so that it can
be
> restored later in case something happens to the computer.
>
> I've identified the program files, database files and a "pbdk6" folder,
and
> made a copy to try to get the program running on another computer. Of
course
> it is not working, i'm getting error messages when trying to enter the
> program. I've noticed also that "Powersoft 6.0 Deployment Kit" is listed
on
> the "Add/Remove Programs" list on Control Panel.
> I would appreciate any tips on this.
> Thank you!

0
Kim

Powerbuilder application "crashing" another powerbuilder application
This is a repost of the above subject since there has been some problem for messages posted on the 19th - 22nd July 2002. *************** Hi All, I have an application (App A)built using PB7.0.3 build 10077 and it seems to work fine. However, recently, another application (App B) built using PB 7.0.3 build 10047 as well was installed and it seems to trigger Dr Watson on App A. There is an embedded OCX on a "main" window on App A, which receives triggers from external applications. The OCX will then call another function sitting on another main window. That function w...

PowerBuilder.Application
Hi, I try to use PowerBuilder.Application automation object in C++ with IDispatch interface but where can I find the DISPID of LibraryList, MachineCode, CreateObject members ? Thanks in advance Benoit. It's easiest to use the OLE call "GetIDsOfNames(...)". This remains version independent. Hope this helps, Reed Shilts PowerBuilder / PowerJ Kernel Group ***Nothing I Say Is Official*** Benoit ROUGE-PULLON wrote: > Hi, > > I try to use PowerBuilder.Application automation object in C++ with > IDispatch interface but where can I find the...

application in PowerBuilder
Hi. I'm looking for an application in PowerBuilder for my company. Our database are in Sybase. We need an ERP (inventario, compras, ventas, facturacion, importaciones, etc.). Can someone suggest me one? Thanks in advance! Puedes intentar en Consulting, una empresa peruana que vende el AXIOM, un ERP con todo lo que necesitas. www.consultingasociados.com C�sar. "Cecilia" <cpedraza@subaquatec.com> wrote in message news:YT$F$1jmCHA.329@forums.sybase.com... > Hi. > I'm looking for an application in PowerBuilder for my company. > Our datab...

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

PowerBuilder.Application
Hi, I try to use PowerBuilder.Application automation object in C++ with IDispatch interface but where can I find the DISPID of LibraryList, MachineCode, CreateObject members ? Thanks in advance Benoit. ...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

Deploying powerbuilder application as .NET web application
Hi when I deploy Client/Server PowerBuilder application as .NET Web application I get below output. Not even getting any bug messages. Checking IIS Server... Generating .NET assembly file... Deploy failed. Have deployed provided Tutorial application as Web application. It has successfully created and deployed. Any information is appreciated. If this question has to do with PB 11 WebForm deploys, you want to post it in the sybase.public.powerbuilder.net.webform section. This section is for DataWindow.Net, a different product. On 29 Jul 2008 05:32:55 -0700, Raju Gol...

migrating a powerbuilder application to a VB.Net application
I want to migrate an application built with powerbuilder to a VB.Net application. Someone is supposed to work on that application but the person can only work in the VB.Net environment.So i want to find out if there is a way of migrating my powerbuilder application to VB.Net Wrong newsgroup :-) <bernard>; <ghana> wrote in message news:46c6f6a8.1595.1681692777@sybase.com... >I want to migrate an application built with powerbuilder to > a VB.Net application. Someone is supposed to work on that > application but the person can only work in the VB.Net > envir...

OLE Application icons shown within a PowerBuilder application
Does anyone know how I can show the icon associated to an application that will be launched with a double click on a PB control? We are trying to offer the capability of attaching files in a PowerBuilder application and have been succesful on having the files stored in the database and from within PB launch the application, for example MS Word, Excel, etc. However, we would like to present the icon associated to the application that will be launched and don�t know how to do it. How can we do it? Any help, any idea will be appreciated. Thanks in advance ...

PowerBuilder Application Execution Error (R0094) Application terminated.
Hi all, Do you know what is the problem of EAS server (3.61) , it generate error as below. I try to find out but fail. Regards, Frankie May 21 15:05:48 2002: Frankie *** Refreshing Product Catalog May 21 15:05:48 2002: ACTIVATE for n_product May 21 15:05:48 2002: BEGINNING refresh() May 21 15:05:49 2002: PB exception caught in tryInvoke May 21 15:05:49 2002: DESTRUCTOR for n_product May 21 15:05:49 2002: SystemException: INTERNAL (orderentry/n_product/refresh__L - <system>@0.0.0.0) May 21 15:05:49 2002: PowerBuilder Application Execution Error (R0094) Application t...

Powerbuilder Application Execution Error (R0006) Application terminated
I receive the following message in my Jaguar srv.log file. "Powerbuilder Application Execution Error (R0006). Application terminated." Question 1. Is this a generic error message or does it point to a specific reason. Question 2. First I will include these lines from srv.log leading up to and including the application error message. Item 1. **************************************************************************** **** Dec 05 09:35:02 2001: HTMLDW: Entering SetServerServiceClasses('n_sc_specimen;') Dec 05 09:35:02 2001: Constructor 09:35:02 Dec 05 09:35:02...

SQLCA works when application runs in PB not when application is run with Powerbuilder WDK.
Hi, My applications with out SQLCA run great through Powerbuilder WDK, my applications that contain SQLCA information doesn't. When I run the application in PB I get a splash screen and then the application starts. When I run it through PB WDK the splash screen starts and the I get a login box. No matter what I do it always show's up and when I hit OK I get the following SQLSTATE = 08001 error. How can I stop this from occurring? The SQLCA code and ini file are below. code: startupfile = "pds.ini" /* Populate sqlca from current PB.INI settings */ sqlca.DBMS...

Web resources about - PowerBuilder Application - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles