Powerbuilder API call to stop datawindow retrieval

When I used SQLNET v1.x with Powerbuilder v4.x, I was able to stop a
datawindow retrieve in my apps with a key combination of <CTRL>-<C>.  This
was a very nice feature to have, especially, with a datawindow retrieval
lasting several
minutes.

With Powerbuilder v5.0.0.3 and SQLNET v2.0, the <CTRL>-<C> feature does not
work.  Powersoft tech support says that Oracle SQLNET v2.0 does not support
this feature.  But, SQLNET v2.0 documentation says that it does support this
feature.  I tested this successfully via SQLPLUS.

I could use the RetrieveRow datawindow event to check for a user
cancellation of the retrieval, but as most Powerbuilder users know, using
the RetrieveRow event slows the retrieval process down dramatically.

So, I began thinking about other ways to provide this functionality.  My
first thoughts concerned how Powerbuilder uses a stop button (red hand)
during datawindow previewing to stop a retrieval.  This button does not
appear to slow down the retrieval process as with the RetrieveRow event, but
it does provide the developer with a simple means of stopping the retrieval.
Just what I'm looking for!!!

Powerbuilder does not provide any powerscript functions to mimic this stop
button; however, I would think that an API call to a powerbuilder DLL would
be
available to perform the function of the stop button.  Does anyone know of
such an API call?
If so, I would like to know the details of such a call.

Thanks!!!

Bryan McFarland
:)

0
Douglas

Hi Doug, Check out the dw_?.DBCancel function which kills a DW retrieval. In
the retrieverow event you can check a variable to see if the retrieve has
been cancelled. If it set, return a 1 to kill the retrieval.

0
Martin
3/24/1998 4:01:42 PM
The only problem with RetrieveRow is that it slows the retrieval process to
a crawl.

Bryan McFarland
:)