Powerbuilder and Crystal Reports

Has anyone had any success using Powerbuilder and Crystal Reports version
8.5 or 9.0. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I am using Powerbuilder 7.0.3 build 10009.

Thanks in advance
Rob

0
Rob

We are using PB 7.0.3 Build 10009 and Crystal 8.5.  We call crystal from
the app to preview reports on the screen and to print and export reports to
various file formats.  Is there anything specific I could help you with?
0
rani
10/4/2002 7:47:57 PM
When calling Crystal, are you using PEWrap.dll or some other method? From
what I can gather, PEWrap.dll is discontinued with Crystal 9.0 and I am
trying to find a new solution.

thx

0
Rob
10/4/2002 8:06:09 PM
We call it using their RDC feature.  This involves accessing their
application object, report object, subreport object, etc....  It's a little
confusing at first and I had to work through a lot of things because
Crystal doesn't actively support Powerbuilder interfacing with Crystal but
it's working pretty slick now that I've worked through all the problems.

We chose to use the RDC because Crystal indicated that they would not be
providing support/enhancements for OCX and PE in the future. We were using
OCX but they had pretty much quit enhancing it.  They said the RDC was the
better option for future enhancements.

We use CRViewer to display the reports on the screen.  This has been a bit
buggy and it has some issues but we've got it working pretty good.
0
rani
10/4/2002 9:11:07 PM
<Off-Topic>,

Rani,

Ddo you have a solution for that annoying blanking-out of the vieuwer when
you click on the window?
Maybe 9.0 version (we dont have it yet)

Grtz

<rani> schreef in bericht
> We call it using their RDC feature.  This involves accessing their
> application object, report object, subreport object, etc....  It's a
little
> confusing at first and I had to work through a lot of things because
> Crystal doesn't actively support Powerbuilder interfacing with Crystal but
> it's working pretty slick now that I've worked through all the problems.
>
> We chose to use the RDC because Crystal indicated that they would not be
> providing support/enhancements for OCX and PE in the future. We were using
> OCX but they had pretty much quit enhancing it.  They said the RDC was the
> better option for future enhancements.
>
> We use CRViewer to display the reports on the screen.  This has been a bit
> buggy and it has some issues but we've got it working pretty good.

0
Harry
10/7/2002 8:52:22 AM
Are you using the RDC directly in Powerbuilder or are you calling an
external app?
Have you had any issues changing the database login / connection or with
passing parameters?

Rob

<rani> wrote in message
> We call it using their RDC feature.  This involves accessing their
> application object, report object, subreport object, etc....  It's a
little
> confusing at first and I had to work through a lot of things because
> Crystal doesn't actively support Powerbuilder interfacing with Crystal but
> it's working pretty slick now that I've worked through all the problems.
>
> We chose to use the RDC because Crystal indicated that they would not be
> providing support/enhancements for OCX and PE in the future. We were using
> OCX but they had pretty much quit enhancing it.  They said the RDC was the
> better option for future enhancements.
>
> We use CRViewer to display the reports on the screen.  This has been a bit
> buggy and it has some issues but we've got it working pretty good.

0
Rob
10/7/2002 2:48:46 PM
I did find a way around that although the viewer still has issues that we
have 'masked'.  I can't remember exactly how it all fell out but the end
result is that I had to set up a window with crviewer ole object on the PB
window with the properties set to displayasactivexdocument!. I believe this
fixed the blank screen problem which happened when you clicked on different
areas of the screen. I can't quite recall the chain of events because I had
to do a lot of trial and error til I got something that worked.  But
changing this setting created a new problem in that you could not resize
the window and get the ole object to move with the resize.  So this is
where I sized the window and the ole object in the window rather large so
they would not need to resize.

The other problem we had was the loss of the scroll bar and some other
strange things like that. This was resolved by changing the screen display
settings on the PC to 1024x768 which is now a requirement of our app.  I
did contact crystal about this and they did not realize that they were
reliant on this resolution but did test outside PB and found that it was a
problem however I don't expect a fix in the near future.

Hope that helps!  Let me know if you need more info.
0
rani
10/7/2002 3:25:42 PM
I created a PB user object so I can call it from multiple places within the
main application.  I have to connect the application object from the main
app rather than the user object or it uses my Crystal licenses up and the
reports start failing with little indication as to why.

I use an ini file to control dynamic connection to the main database used
in our reports.  I have had very good success with this.  We have a few
reports that access multiple databases which causes some complexity.  You
have to connect for each table used in the report so this is a loop in the
user object.  If the table connects to a different database, I have to know
which table is affected and to which database to connect. So I control
these using the database table.  If your reports only connect to one
database, the process is much simpler.  I can give you more detail if you
need it.  But overall, we have been successful connecting and have not
experienced a lot of problems.

I have not had any great difficulty passing the parameters either.  It's
better than it was using the ocx because we used to have problems where the
datatype might not match the crystal report datatype.  Now, I loop through
the parameter object and pull the datatype from the crystal report.  Then I
do a convert on the pb data to get it to match what crystal expects.  I
also have some reports that I have to pass subreport parameters.  This
requires a little additional processing but I have been successful in
getting it to work.

Let me know if you need more help.
0
rani
10/7/2002 6:24:09 PM
Rani,

I tried it and it indeed solved the issue, it works like a charm!
THANKS!!!!!!

Grtz
harry

<rani> schreef in bericht
> I did find a way around that although the viewer still has issues that we
> have 'masked'.  I can't remember exactly how it all fell out but the end
> result is that I had to set up a window with crviewer ole object on the PB
> window with the properties set to displayasactivexdocument!. I believe
this
> fixed the blank screen problem which happened when you clicked on
different
> areas of the screen. I can't quite recall the chain of events because I
had
> to do a lot of trial and error til I got something that worked.  But
> changing this setting created a new problem in that you could not resize
> the window and get the ole object to move with the resize.  So this is
> where I sized the window and the ole object in the window rather large so
> they would not need to resize.
>
> The other problem we had was the loss of the scroll bar and some other
> strange things like that. This was resolved by changing the screen display
> settings on the PC to 1024x768 which is now a requirement of our app.  I
> did contact crystal about this and they did not realize that they were
> reliant on this resolution but did test outside PB and found that it was a
> problem however I don't expect a fix in the near future.
>
> Hope that helps!  Let me know if you need more info.

0
Harry
10/8/2002 7:11:05 AM
Great! Glad I could help.  I'm not going to be able follow this link
anymore so if you need more assistance and you put something out to the
board, email me as well at primmerrs@wellmark.com.

Thanks!
0
rani
10/8/2002 3:58:37 PM
I'm not going to be able follow this link anymore so if you need more
assistance and you put something out to the board, email me as well at
primmerrs@wellmark.com.
0
rani

Integrate reports from Crystal Reports to PowerBuilder application
Is it possible to integrate reports from Crystal Reports to PowerBuilder application ? see the site http://www.seagatesoftware.com/ Yuri Denshchik a �crit : > Is it possible to integrate reports from Crystal Reports to PowerBuilder > application ? ...

Crystal Reports with Powerbuilder
I am trying to use Crystal Reports 5.0 in my PM 6.0 application. Has anyone done that successfully?If so I would appreciate any help. Thanx.. Intall the patch the crystal and after execute this code: Long ll_even_id Long ll_visit_id Long il_ConnectionId Long ll_event_id Pointer oldpointer String ls_Title OldPointer = SetPointer ( hourglass! ) //......Avant impression........ // Connecte imm�diatement Crystal Report au serveur il_ConnectionId = oc_CrystalReport.object.LogonServer ( "pdssql.dll", SQLCA.ServerName, SQLCA.Database, SQLCA.LogId, SQLCA.LogPass...

Crystal Reports with Powerbuilder
I want to create reports from a Powerbuilder database with the database file being used on a pc (not hooked to a network). What do I need to do? Yes, I am relative new to CR 6 and very new to Powerbuilder Learn DataWindows and forget about Crystal Reports. Yakov Fain www.excaliber.net/yfain/ ewj wrote: > I want to create reports from a Powerbuilder database with the database > file being used on a pc (not hooked to a network). What do I need to do? > > Yes, I am relative new to CR 6 and very new to Powerbuilder Learn DataWindow is better than use ...

hi i have the problem while configure the powerbuilder to allow the user change the field for runtime crystal report. Are you trying to change the contents of a field (column) or the name? -- Regards, Millard [TeamSybase] "kenbeyond" <ken_beyond04@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1157684803.490232.128890@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > hi > > i have the problem while configure the powerbuilder to allow the user > change the field for runtime crystal report. > ...

Are there anyone in this news group, who uses **Crystal Reports** to develop reports to use with PowerBuilder ? Please, write me ! Thanks, Alan Koerbel alan@logocenter.com.br www.logocenter.com.br Brazil ...

Crystal Reports with PowerBuilder
Are there anyone in this news group, who uses **Crystal Reports** to develop reports to use with PowerBuilder ? Please, write me ! Thanks, Alan Koerbel alan@logocenter.com.br www.logocenter.com.br Brazil ...

Crystal Reports with PowerBuilder
Are there anyone in this news group, who uses **Crystal Reports** to develop reports to use with PowerBuilder ? Please, write me ! Thanks, Alan Koerbel alan@logocenter.com.br www.logocenter.com.br Brazil We wrote an interface from PB to Crystal reports for a current client application. We used our standard Criteria datawindows to build the SQL that is then passed to the Crystal report for processing. Our Criteria datawindows are external DWs that have tag values set for the table and columns they are associated with. This was relatively easy for us because we had ...

Crystal REPORT Powerbuilder
Hi, where i can find any example of the crystal report with powerbuilder ? Thanks -- Michele ...

crystal report with PowerBuilder
Hello, i would like to use Crystal Report with powerBuilder. How link the report to a window ? thank you ...

Powerbuilder and Crystal Reports #3
Hi, How can we use crystal reports in Powerbuilder effectively.. thanks in advance.... Danny <Hannah> wrote in message news:417d5050.5971.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi, > How can we use crystal reports in Powerbuilder > effectively.. > > thanks in advance.... > Danny Crystal Reports has an OCX that you can invoke from PB objects. -- Paul Horan[TeamSybase] Check the OLE-OCX NG for more related posts... -- PB9.01.7236 Thank you, R.Chauvin <Hannah> wrote in message news:417d5050.5971.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi, > H...

Powerbuilder & Crystal Reports
Hello all, I am trying to use Crystal Reports 8.5 with Powerbuilder 8 but I am experiencing some problems. If I try to insert the Crystal Report Designer Control onto a Powerbuilder form then the form will crash. Does anyone know if the OCX controls of Crystal Reports work properly under Powerbuilder? Am I missing sth? I'm telling that because I used the same controls under Visual Basic and everything worked properly. Thanks in advance for your help. John Kolitsopoulos Hey John, Started looking at that but had to go onto something else..The docs on RDC say you n...

Powerbuilder pdf crystal reports
using pb 10.2 and crystal 10, any code that works that I can use to send a crystal report to a pdf through powerbuilder? I think the command is PEExportTo, but would love to have a working code sample. Any help is appreciated. Thanks ...

Using Crystal Reports in PowerBuilder
I'm trying to use Crystal Reports in PowerBuilder. Has anyone tried this before? I believe Crystal reports can be generated as Active X components and it would seem you could then use it in PowerBuilder. The other thing would be if I could use Crystal reports in the PowerBuilder Development environment like you can in Visual Basic or in PowerBuilder like you can with InfoMaker. The requirement to use Crystal reports is a management requirement so PB or InfoMaker are not viable options at this point - unless there is no other way to do it I suppose. Thanks, Phil You n...

how build crystal reports in powerbuilder
Hi, Please tail me how Build crystal reports in powerbuild regards pravin sali -- Pravin sali Fem Care Pharma Ltd 0253-6604440 Do you mean how to integrate it or how to create a report? To integrate it you would most likely need to put an Crystal Reports OCX control on your window then call the appropriate function to load the report. Crystal Reports should have this information documented somewhere. To create a report you would use the tools that come with Crystal Report. Brad pravin wrote: > Hi, > > Please tail me how Build crystal reports ...

Web resources about - Powerbuilder and Crystal Reports - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles

resources last updated: 11/20/2015 12:27:14 PM