PowerBuilder 9, 11.5 - save as PDF: format of generated PDF document

our configuration:

EAServer 5.5
PowerBuilder 9, 11.5
Windows XP, 2003

what we do:

generate PDF documents using the distill method (Sybase Postscript
Printer Driver, Ghostscript) with PowerBuilder in EAServer using
datastore.SaveAs(ls_fileName, PDF!, TRUE). This works fine, no problem
there.

what is it about:

the generated PDF document seems to be somewhat 'protected' - what I
mean is: if I open the PDF document, select some text therein and copy
this text to a notepad document then the resulting text is non readable

anybody has an idea why ?
anybody knows if this behaviour can be controlled or changed ?

Thx for any answer
Andi

0
Andi

Hi Andi;

1) What version of GhostScript are you using?
2) Did you install the "Sybase DataWindow PS" print driver from the GS
installation and *not* from PB?

Regards ... Chris
President: OSUG / STD Inc.
Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com

"Andi"  wrote in message news:4cd7f503$1@forums-1-dub...

[...]

Chris
11/8/2010 2:51:21 PM
Hi Chris

1) we use:
  - GhostScript 7.05 with PowerBuilder 9
  - GhostScript 8.60 with PowerBuilder 11.5

2) EAServer/PowerBuilder installs the PrinterDriver automatically, we
dont have to do anything there...

Thx for ur anwer
Andi

Am 08.11.2010 15:51, schrieb Chris Pollach:

> Hi Andi;
>
> 1) What version of GhostScript are you using?
> 2) Did you install the "Sybase DataWindow PS" print driver from the GS
> installation and *not* from PB?
>
> Regards ... Chris
> President: OSUG / STD Inc.
> Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
> PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com
> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
>
> "Andi" wrote in message news:4cd7f503$1@forums-1-dub...
>
> our configuration:
>
> EAServer 5.5
> PowerBuilder 9, 11.5
> Windows XP, 2003
>
> what we do:
>
> generate PDF documents using the distill method (Sybase Postscript
> Printer Driver, Ghostscript) with PowerBuilder in EAServer using
> datastore.SaveAs(ls_fileName, PDF!, TRUE). This works fine, no problem
> there.
>
> what is it about:
>
> the generated PDF document seems to be somewhat 'protected' - what I
> mean is: if I open the PDF document, select some text therein and copy
> this text to a notepad document then the resulting text is non readable
>
> anybody has an idea why ?
> anybody knows if this behaviour can be controlled or changed ?
>
> Thx for any answer
> Andi
0
Andi
11/10/2010 11:13:11 AM
Hi Andi;

  FWIW: I am using GS version 9.0

    I would install the Print Driver manually in your EAS environment. I
believe that the automatic install uses the INF file provided by Sybase
(which is very old) and not the one that is supplied by GS. I would also
recommend that you think about upgrading your GS version. Not that this will
address your problem - but, at least you can then eliminate the older
software and obsolete print driver as a potential cause.

"Andi"  wrote in message news:4cda7e47@forums-1-dub...

Hi Chris

1) we use:
  - GhostScript 7.05 with PowerBuilder 9
  - GhostScript 8.60 with PowerBuilder 11.5

2) EAServer/PowerBuilder installs the PrinterDriver automatically, we
dont have to do anything there...

Thx for ur anwer
Andi

Am 08.11.2010 15:51, schrieb Chris Pollach:

> Hi Andi;
>
> 1) What version of GhostScript are you using?
> 2) Did you install the "Sybase DataWindow PS" print driver from the GS
> installation and *not* from PB?
>
> Regards ... Chris
> President: OSUG / STD Inc.
> Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
> PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com
> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
>
> "Andi" wrote in message news:4cd7f503$1@forums-1-dub...
>
> our configuration:
>
> EAServer 5.5
> PowerBuilder 9, 11.5
> Windows XP, 2003
>
> what we do:
>
> generate PDF documents using the distill method (Sybase Postscript
> Printer Driver, Ghostscript) with PowerBuilder in EAServer using
> datastore.SaveAs(ls_fileName, PDF!, TRUE). This works fine, no problem
> there.
>
> what is it about:
>
> the generated PDF document seems to be somewhat 'protected' - what I
> mean is: if I open the PDF document, select some text therein and copy
> this text to a notepad document then the resulting text is non readable
>
> anybody has an idea why ?
> anybody knows if this behaviour can be controlled or changed ?
>
> Thx for any answer
> Andi

0
Chris
11/10/2010 2:44:13 PM
We thought about installing a newer GS version when I read something
about potential security issues in the old GS version. This is quite a
long time ago but we never did it...

And the drill :-) you are suggesting I will do only if our customer
needs the readable PDF's. At the moment it is just a question not an
order -> never change a running system just for fun.

BTW I was hoping to find a solution without try an error ROFL

Thanks for your contribution
Andi

0
Andi