PowerBuilder 8 Native Source Control

Hi, we are using PB 8.0.2 Build 9506 with native source control and it
doesn't work very well when we need to delete objects or to move objects
from a pbl to another.
Delete problem : if I delete an object, the other users will still have it
even after a "Get Latest Version" operation
Move problem : if I move an object, the other users will have two version of
this object, one in the old pbl and another in the new pbl... if in the list
of pbls of our target the old pbl cames before the new one, the other users
won't see the changes I made. Even worse... if we do a "Check out" on the
object on the first pbl and we do a "Check in" on the same object in the
second pbl after modifying the first one... the changes are lost.

Does anyone know how to handle that ?

Robert

Robert,

What did you do before?  I haven't used PB Native, it's a stripped down
version of source control, right?  I use PVCS with PB and as far as
deleting, it's always been that way (in PB8 anyway).  There's a green plus
sign so the others have to remove it...Same thing with making a new object,
no one else sees it until they do a get latest in that PBL...

M moving the object - did you move it from where it was while it was still
in source control?  I would've thought you'd remove it from source control,
put it in what PBL you want them re-register it back in the new location,
otherwise I think PBNative would get confused.

If I'm wrong, someone using PBNative please tell me...

--
Evita R. Chapa
Senior Systems Analyst

"Robert Trifu" <rtrifu@worldonline.fr> wrote in message
> Hi, we are using PB 8.0.2 Build 9506 with native source control and it
> doesn't work very well when we need to delete objects or to move objects
> from a pbl to another.
> Delete problem : if I delete an object, the other users will still have it
> even after a "Get Latest Version" operation
> Move problem : if I move an object, the other users will have two version
of
> this object, one in the old pbl and another in the new pbl... if in the
list
> of pbls of our target the old pbl cames before the new one, the other
users
> won't see the changes I made. Even worse... if we do a "Check out" on the
> object on the first pbl and we do a "Check in" on the same object in the
> second pbl after modifying the first one... the changes are lost.
>
> Does anyone know how to handle that ?
>
> Thanks

Unfortunately when you have an object under source control you cannot move
it from a pbl to another, so you are forced to remove it from source control
first.

"E Chapa" <echapa@commtechinc.com> a �crit dans le message news:
mG#yMXzMCHA.317@forums.sybase.com...
> Robert,
>
> What did you do before?  I haven't used PB Native, it's a stripped down
> version of source control, right?  I use PVCS with PB and as far as
> deleting, it's always been that way (in PB8 anyway).  There's a green plus
> sign so the others have to remove it...Same thing with making a new
object,
> no one else sees it until they do a get latest in that PBL...
>
> M moving the object - did you move it from where it was while it was still
> in source control?  I would've thought you'd remove it from source
control,
> put it in what PBL you want them re-register it back in the new location,
> otherwise I think PBNative would get confused.
>
> If I'm wrong, someone using PBNative please tell me...
>

> --
> Evita R. Chapa
> Senior Systems Analyst
> Command Technlogies, Inc
>
> "Robert Trifu" <rtrifu@worldonline.fr> wrote in message
> > Hi, we are using PB 8.0.2 Build 9506 with native source control and it
> > doesn't work very well when we need to delete objects or to move objects
> > from a pbl to another.
> > Delete problem : if I delete an object, the other users will still have
it
> > even after a "Get Latest Version" operation
> > Move problem : if I move an object, the other users will have two
version
> of
> > this object, one in the old pbl and another in the new pbl... if in the
> list
> > of pbls of our target the old pbl cames before the new one, the other
> users
> > won't see the changes I made. Even worse... if we do a "Check out" on
the
> > object on the first pbl and we do a "Check in" on the same object in the
> > second pbl after modifying the first one... the changes are lost.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to handle that ?
> >
> > Thanks

0
Robert
7/24/2002 5:49:10 PM
Robert,
You're right - delete and move are not handled very well with ANY source
control provider, not just PBNative.  Here's my advice:

To Delete
One developer (you) selects the object to be removed, and selects "Remove
from Source Control".  That unregisters it from PBNative - the .PRP file is
deleted from the project directory.  When other developers do a Refresh
Status (not a GLV), they'll see the plus-sign icon again, indicating that
the object is no longer under source control.  At that point, they can
safely delete the object from their own PBLs.

To Move
Combine a DELETE (from above), and an ADD.  Unregister the object from its
old PBL first.  Then move it to the new PBL and register it there.  When
other developers refresh status, they'll see the plus sign icon next to the
object in the OLD pbl (so they can delete it).  Then a GLV will get the
object into it's new PBL.

--
Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
VCI   Springfield, MA

TechWave2002   www.sybase.com/techwave2002
Session E177 - Best Practices in Source Code Control with PowerBuilder

"Robert Trifu" <rtrifu@worldonline.fr> wrote in message
> Hi, we are using PB 8.0.2 Build 9506 with native source control and it
> doesn't work very well when we need to delete objects or to move objects
> from a pbl to another.
> Delete problem : if I delete an object, the other users will still have it
> even after a "Get Latest Version" operation
> Move problem : if I move an object, the other users will have two version
of
> this object, one in the old pbl and another in the new pbl... if in the
list
> of pbls of our target the old pbl cames before the new one, the other
users
> won't see the changes I made. Even worse... if we do a "Check out" on the
> object on the first pbl and we do a "Check in" on the same object in the
> second pbl after modifying the first one... the changes are lost.
>
> Does anyone know how to handle that ?
>
> Thanks

0
Paul
7/24/2002 6:32:18 PM
Broadcast your actions to other developers, that's about only thing you can
do.
0
Philip_Salgannik
7/24/2002 6:44:06 PM
One trick we use is, after doing target-wide GLV, we do an "Add to Source
Control..." operation on the target.  That brings up a list of every object
in any library that's not in source control.  Unfortunately, you can't save
or print the list that comes up, and it takes a bit of a while (tho not
nearly as long as the GLV), but if you don't trust your fellow developers to
alert you to this sort of thing, at least you don't have to go hunting
through 30 pbls looking for little plus signs.

Ken

<Philip_Salgannik> wrote in message
> Broadcast your actions to other developers, that's about only thing you
can
> do.

0
Ken
7/24/2002 9:27:19 PM
"Ken Balakrishnan" <kNOSPAMbalakri@continuumperformance.com> wrote in
message news:yJUXPq1MCHA.317@forums.sybase.com...
> One trick we use is, after doing target-wide GLV, we do an "Add to Source
> Control..." operation on the target.  That brings up a list of every
object
> in any library that's not in source control.  Unfortunately, you can't
save
> or print the list that comes up, and it takes a bit of a while (tho not
> nearly as long as the GLV), but if you don't trust your fellow developers
> alert you to this sort of thing, at least you don't have to go hunting
> through 30 pbls looking for little plus signs.
>
> Ken
>
> <Philip_Salgannik> wrote in message
> > Broadcast your actions to other developers, that's about only thing you
> can
> > do.

Yeah, I forgot the part about "sending an e-mail or shouting at the top of
your lungs that object X is now obsolete, or has been moved into PBL Y"...
<G>

--
Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
VCI   Springfield, MA
www.vcisolutions.com

TechWave2002   www.sybase.com/techwave2002
Session E177 - Best Practices in Source Code Control with PowerBuilder

0
Paul
7/24/2002 10:29:06 PM
Special suggestion from one with a PhD in the school of hard
knocks.  Copy everything into one PBL, or one for your app
stuff and another for the PFC.  IMHO, any basis for segregating
objects in their own multiple PBLs turns out to be arbitrary,
and leads to artificial complications such as moving objects
and creating duplicate objects.

As Hans and Franz used to say, listen to me now and believe me
later.  The time you save in searching for things, cataloguing
things, and deploying things will be worth it.  Though this
flies in the face of the usual tangled skein of development
methodologies, I admit.
0
woz
7/25/2002 5:22:58 PM
Well, in fact it doesn' work this way for moving objects.
After registration under source control, all the other users wil see a green
bullet for both objects, and if they do a "Check Out" on one of this two
objects, they will see a green check mark for both of them, too.
So they cannot delete the old object without unregister it again.

"Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> a �crit dans le message
news: N6vhAJ0MCHA.317@forums.sybase.com...
> Robert,
> You're right - delete and move are not handled very well with ANY source
> control provider, not just PBNative.  Here's my advice:
>
> To Delete
> One developer (you) selects the object to be removed, and selects "Remove
> from Source Control".  That unregisters it from PBNative - the .PRP file
is
> deleted from the project directory.  When other developers do a Refresh
> Status (not a GLV), they'll see the plus-sign icon again, indicating that
> the object is no longer under source control.  At that point, they can
> safely delete the object from their own PBLs.
>
> To Move
> Combine a DELETE (from above), and an ADD.  Unregister the object from its
> old PBL first.  Then move it to the new PBL and register it there.  When
> other developers refresh status, they'll see the plus sign icon next to
the
> object in the OLD pbl (so they can delete it).  Then a GLV will get the
> object into it's new PBL.
>
> --
> Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
> VCI   Springfield, MA
> www.vcisolutions.com
>
> TechWave2002   www.sybase.com/techwave2002
> Session E177 - Best Practices in Source Code Control with PowerBuilder
>
> "Robert Trifu" <rtrifu@worldonline.fr> wrote in message
> > Hi, we are using PB 8.0.2 Build 9506 with native source control and it
> > doesn't work very well when we need to delete objects or to move objects
> > from a pbl to another.
> > Delete problem : if I delete an object, the other users will still have
it
> > even after a "Get Latest Version" operation
> > Move problem : if I move an object, the other users will have two
version
> of
> > this object, one in the old pbl and another in the new pbl... if in the
> list
> > of pbls of our target the old pbl cames before the new one, the other
> users
> > won't see the changes I made. Even worse... if we do a "Check out" on
the
> > object on the first pbl and we do a "Check in" on the same object in the
> > second pbl after modifying the first one... the changes are lost.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to handle that ?
> >
> > Thanks

0
Robert

Powerbuilder 8, native source control
i try to set up pb8 native source control, but it does'nt work. is this the right way ? (the new doc is'nt very good) 1) Storage location : this is where the server files reside 2) Local path : copy of server files, and this is the checkout files 3) username - just any username... when i view objects in library painter, the objects is marked with a dot and a question mark. check out seems to work, and i can now modify the object. but after checking in, the dot and question mark shows up again. when i open the modified object on server, i can't see the changes i&...

Powerbuilder 8.03, PVCS 6.8.10 and Powergen adding to source control.
We are moving from PB 6.5 to PB 8.03 and going to PVCS VM for version control. I've created a script to export Powerbuilder .sr* and create ..pbg files in PBL subdirectories. The script runs sucessfully and creates all of the .sr* and .pbg files in their respective pbl subdirectories. I then run a PCLI command line addfiles command script to add the files to PVCS VM. This completes successfully and creates the archives correctly. I then open Powerbuilder and open the respective workspace. PB does not show the code as being added to source control. Is there some sort of magic I...

source control with PB Native in powerbuilder 11
I am trying to do source control with pb native. I click on added to source control and point it to a local directory. It adds all the source control fine. But when i try to refresh it i get this error: Compile/Import failure in phase 3? When i try to run my program i get this error: Object file is out of date error? All source control system have been unable to export and re import back in each of our objects. the best way for us to be able to export out all the objects at once and be able to import them all back into the project. is there any way to do this? FYI: there i...

PVCS Source Control - Multiple Developers
Can anyone point me to some comprehensive documentation regarding setting up PVCS source control for a PowerBuilder 8 project. We recently migrated from PB 6.5 to PB 8 and, I've been able to set up the project but, I'm missing a few "pieces of the puzzle". For example... in PVCS we check out our pbls to a common network drive. We then copy those onto each developers workstation. The network pbls have a workspace and, each developer has a workspace and all workspaces point to the same pvcs project. How do we keep the common pbls on the network in synch wit...

powerbuilder source control
We would like to use Team foundation server as source control for Powerbuilder. Is there some documentation how to use this. Thanks Eric There is an SCC interface available for TFS. After that, from the PowerBuilder perspective, it is no different than working with any other SCC provider. Mike "ontsnapt" <ontsnapt@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:462f2ae7$1@forums-1-dub... > We would like to use Team foundation server as source control for > Powerbuilder. > > Is there some documentation how to use this. > > Thanks > >...

Powerbuilder 9.0 vs. Powerbuilder 8.0
What is the difference in Powerbilder 9.0 and 8.0? I would like to point out that the Appeon newsgroup is monitored by Sybase and Appeon engineering staff who are very knowledgeable about Appeon issues. Question that are purely PowerBuilder-related are best answered by the staff and users of the PowerBuilder newsgroup: sybase.public.powerbuilder.XXXX. Please post to the appropriate newsgroup so you receive the help you desire. Thanks, Julie Jiang Appeon Corporation <dburris@onesolution.com> wrote in message news:40589011.2717.846930886@sybase.com... > What is the diffe...

Powerbuilder 8 and ActiveX controls
Is it possible to use ActiveX controls with PB8? regards, Jan Rune Yes, throught the OLECustomControl. - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com) www.planetdx.com Yes, possible to use, but two limitations: 1. PB uses something called "late binding" which means the attrs and methods of the control are unknown until execution time. So you get runtime errors and not compile errors. 2. PB uses something called "license caching". This means that if you download a trial version of some objects, they will expire after the trial period EV...

Conflict
I have PowerBuilder 8 enterprise in my system for my existing packages. I would like to test my packages in PowerBuilder 11 Beta version. Is there any problem if I download and install the Beta version of PowerBuilder 11, to the system which contain the PowerBuilder 8? Thanks... The beta is over, but the evaluation version is available at http://response.sybase.com/forms/WW_PB11_Eval There shouldn't be any problem with multiple versions of PB on the same machine - different folder and dll names. Many of us have run 3 or 4 different versions concurrently! <Jemson Kuriak...

Native drivers and PowerBuilder 8
In PowerBuilder 8, is it necessary to have the enterprise edition to use native database drivers, or are they available in the professional edition? You need to have enterprise to use native drivers. Desktop only allows you to use a limited set of ODBC drivers, Professional allows you to use an ODBC drivers, and Enterprise allows you to use the native drivers. On 2 Mar 2004 13:58:53 -0800, Thomas wrote: >In PowerBuilder 8, is it necessary to have the enterprise >edition to use native database drivers, or are they >available in the professional edition? Bruce Armstro...

Powerbuilder 8 Native Drivers
When will the native drivers for Oracle 9i be available in Powerbuilder 8? For PB7 it is in build 10128. I think PB801 supports 9i, but I'm not 100% sure. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. MySybase http://my.sybase.com/mysybase Search Deja: http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/search.asp <Jacky_Davis> wrote in message news:27BBE87FCD021C110011A76185256B0B.0011A77085256B0B@webforums... > When will the native drivers for Oracle 9i be available in Powerbuilder 8? ...

Migrating from PowerBuilder 6.5 to PowerBuilder 8.0
We are doing a feasibility study of migrating a PFC based PowerBuilder Application from v6.5 to v8.0. This application is heavily PFC depended and also includes many custom based core layers. If anybody has done (PFC based) powerbuilder migration prior kindly suggest the best approach on the following. 1) How to successfully migrate from PowerBuilder 6.5/PFC - PowerBuilder 8.0/PFC. 2) How to fix/resolve post migration errors etc... . Any help or suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks and Regards Vamsi ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide....

Powerbuilder Source Control Setup
Hello all, we are using Powerbuilder in a team development environment using VisualSource Safe. The setup is the same as in PB6 anf before - one central set of libraries on the server and working libraries locally. This is the same as the recommended setup for PB7 <= 5031. In the document "Powerbuilder Source Control Recommended Setup" I found on the Sybase site a new kind of setup supported by pb7 7017 and above. Can someone explain me this setup, esp. by using VisualSourceSafe, more in detail? Which kind set of object I have to register? How to deal with the ...

Dropping Distributed PowerBuilder Support in PowerBuilder 8.0
I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer. Is that true? When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out. Target for PB8 is Q1 2001. DPB is not being enhanced but the capabilities will still be there. On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:03 -0400, Chuck_Kiefriter wrote: >I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to >be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer. Is that true? >When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out. Chuck, I apologize, but I gave you inac...

Web resources about - PowerBuilder 8 Native Source Control - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles