Powerbuilder 7 (NT) to Powerbuilder 8 (win2000) has migration issues

I work for a company called Stanley Associates, and we have independent
applications that were created under powerbuilder.  Up until recently we had
been using PB7 without any problems or compilation errors.  Upon creating a
new workspace, adding a target, and doing the initial rebuild, we ran into
several information statements and even some errors in our
migration/compilation.  Silly statements like window name is invalid due to
global variable of same type, or incomatible types in assignment.
several erorrs and information that make no sense, yet never came up in
version 7.  What are the exact steps to make sure a problem-free migration
takes place?

John Owens
j.owens@stanleyassociates.com

0
John

That's definitely an atypical experience. It's hard to say from here, but it
almost sounds like not all PBLs in the application path were included in the
migration. You might want to check that.

Good luck,

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:01:11 -0400,
John Owens <j.owens@stanleyassociates.com> wrote:
>I work for a company called Stanley Associates, and we have independent
>applications that were created under powerbuilder.  Up until recently we had
>been using PB7 without any problems or compilation errors.  Upon creating a
>new workspace, adding a target, and doing the initial rebuild, we ran into
>several information statements and even some errors in our
>migration/compilation.  Silly statements like window name is invalid due to
>global variable of same type, or incomatible types in assignment.
>several erorrs and information that make no sense, yet never came up in
>version 7.  What are the exact steps to make sure a problem-free migration
>takes place?
>
>John Owens
>j.owens@stanleyassociates.com

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
9/14/2001 6:46:13 PM
Terry,

   They were included.  I included every library that was listed in my
library list on my other machine.  This is one instance where having a
side-by-side comparison is rather nice.  All libraries were included and
migration began.  An example error message I get is:

logbase.pbl(m_base_ancestor).1: Information C0146: The identifier
'm_base_ancestor' conflicts with an existing global variable with this name.
The new definition of 'm_base_ancestor' will take precedence and the prior
value will be ignored until this version of 'm_base_ancestor' goes out of
scope.

It gives the identical information message for every object that exists in
logbase.pbl... windows and menus.  Never had any messages like this on my
NT4 machine running PB7.

John

0
John
9/14/2001 6:49:50 PM
Well, first off, this is informational only. It's nothing that should stop you,
just something to give you pause and reflect. If you're getting this for *every*
object in logbase.pbl, then you've got that PBL listed in your library path
twice. That's why PB thinks there are two of each object. (FYI, if you did the
same in PB7, and had options checked to show Informational messages, you'd get
the same errors.)

You mentioned other, more serious sounding errors. Clean up this problem and
let's see what happens with the others (I doubt they'd change, based on what you
described...). Get back to us.

Good luck,

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:49:50 -0400,
John Owens <j.owens@stanleyassociates.com> wrote:
>Terry,
>
>   They were included.  I included every library that was listed in my
>library list on my other machine.  This is one instance where having a
>side-by-side comparison is rather nice.  All libraries were included and
>migration began.  An example error message I get is:
>
>logbase.pbl(m_base_ancestor).1: Information C0146: The identifier
>'m_base_ancestor' conflicts with an existing global variable with this name.
>The new definition of 'm_base_ancestor' will take precedence and the prior
>value will be ignored until this version of 'm_base_ancestor' goes out of
>scope.
>
>It gives the identical information message for every object that exists in
>logbase.pbl... windows and menus.  Never had any messages like this on my
>NT4 machine running PB7.
>
>John

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
9/14/2001 7:37:39 PM
Hi John,

It sounds like you have 2 logbase.pbl in the application path
or you have the same objects in the different PBL.
HTH Alex
0
Alex

Migrating from PowerBuilder 6.5 to PowerBuilder 8.0
We are doing a feasibility study of migrating a PFC based PowerBuilder Application from v6.5 to v8.0. This application is heavily PFC depended and also includes many custom based core layers. If anybody has done (PFC based) powerbuilder migration prior kindly suggest the best approach on the following. 1) How to successfully migrate from PowerBuilder 6.5/PFC - PowerBuilder 8.0/PFC. 2) How to fix/resolve post migration errors etc... . Any help or suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks and Regards Vamsi ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide....

Problem registering dll created in Powerbuilder 8 and migrated to Powerbuilder 11
Hi, We have created a dll in Powerbuilder 8 as a com/mts application. This dll was then migrated to powerbuilder 11.1 build 8204. I am able to build the dll on my development machine and properly register the dll on my development machine on windows 7. When i deploy my dll and test application to a clean windows xp box, i am unable to register my dll using regsvr32. No error is displayed and the message box identifing that the registration was successful is never displayed. I have deployed all Powerbuilder 11 runtime using the powerbuilder runtime packager. I also deployed...

Powerbuilder 9.0 Migration from powerbuilder 7.0.3 problem
Hi all, i was trying an migrate an powerbuilder 7.0.3 application to powerbuilder 9.0(PFC BASED APPLICATION (PFC objects version PB 6.5) ) during migration i am getting this error. tcmborrower.pbl(w_cursor_check).w_cursor_check.open.2: Error C0163: The definition of referenced global variable sqlca was improperly compiled in object trcomps Did anybody faced this kind of error? Thx Ashok JPMORGAN ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp First error message which i got during the migration is : tcmappl.pb...

PowerBuilder 8
Hello All, My company is planning on migrating a large application from 6.5.1 to PB 8.x. I have a few questions in regards to this... (1) Has Sybase published a list of PB 8 migration issues, do's and don'ts...? (2) Has Sybase published a list of current bug issues in PB v8.0...? (3) Has anyone migrated to PB 8, particularly from 6.x...? Thanks You... Jacob L. jacob_ll@yahoo.com Jacob, To this point Sybase has not published a list of bugs or migration do's and don'ts. We probably won't see a publicly published bug list for quite some time, maybe...

Powerbuilder Migration From 7 to 10 issue
Hi ... We have migrated the application from Powerbuilder 7 to 10 and found successul in some cases. But, in some cases, we have problem in ansi/Unicode formats in Saveas(). When we try to save as in HTML using "PSReport!" and open, we get Message "Datawindow syntax has incorrect release number". Please help regarding this. Also do we need to change the code like ( len, fill, right, replace etc..) manually while migrating ? Thanks in advance Pawan For those datawindows that this is occurring on, you will need to edit the source directly and update the f...

PowerBuilder 7.0 Migration Issues
Hi! We are having problems in migrating our current application from Version 6.0 to 7.0. We are getting all sorts of problems with respect to inheritance / compilation errors. Some times the message reads : 'The identifier 'w_.....' conflicts with an existing global variable with this name. The new definition of 'w_....' will take precedence and the prior value will be ignored until this version of 'w_....' goes out of scope. ( Actually, there is no global variable with window name as such. ) Also, some of the windows we are unable to open...

PowerBuilder migration issues from 5 to 8
Hi, We are migrating our application from PowerBuilder 5.0.4 to PowerBuilder 8.0.3. In PowerBuilder 5, ItemFocusChanged event was getting triggered whenever a Filter() is applied on a datawindow control. Based on this sequence of events, our application has some logic. Where as in PowerBuilder 8, this itemfocuschanged event is not getting triggered when the filter() is applied. Is there any way to make this sequence of events occur in PB8 also? Any programming tips will be appreciated. Thanks, Nagi Overload the filter function in your ancestor dw object to do a Filter ...

Powerbuilder 9.0 vs. Powerbuilder 8.0
What is the difference in Powerbilder 9.0 and 8.0? I would like to point out that the Appeon newsgroup is monitored by Sybase and Appeon engineering staff who are very knowledgeable about Appeon issues. Question that are purely PowerBuilder-related are best answered by the staff and users of the PowerBuilder newsgroup: sybase.public.powerbuilder.XXXX. Please post to the appropriate newsgroup so you receive the help you desire. Thanks, Julie Jiang Appeon Corporation <dburris@onesolution.com> wrote in message news:40589011.2717.846930886@sybase.com... > What is the diffe...

Conflict
I have PowerBuilder 8 enterprise in my system for my existing packages. I would like to test my packages in PowerBuilder 11 Beta version. Is there any problem if I download and install the Beta version of PowerBuilder 11, to the system which contain the PowerBuilder 8? Thanks... The beta is over, but the evaluation version is available at http://response.sybase.com/forms/WW_PB11_Eval There shouldn't be any problem with multiple versions of PB on the same machine - different folder and dll names. Many of us have run 3 or 4 different versions concurrently! <Jemson Kuriak...

Dropping Distributed PowerBuilder Support in PowerBuilder 8.0
I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer. Is that true? When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out. Target for PB8 is Q1 2001. DPB is not being enhanced but the capabilities will still be there. On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:03 -0400, Chuck_Kiefriter wrote: >I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to >be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer. Is that true? >When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out. Chuck, I apologize, but I gave you inac...

Migration to PowerBuilder 6.5 from Powerbuilder 4.0
Hi all, I'm going to migrate from Powerbuilder 4.0 to Powerbuilder 6.5 soon. I would like to know if I have to migrate previously to Powerbuilder 5.0, or if it is possible to migrate directly from Powerbuilder 4.0 to 6.5. In the last case I would like to know if I can have any problems during the upgrade process. Thanks in advance... On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:46:07 +0100, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general "Jorge Salamanca" <jsalamanca@fintec.es> wrote: >Hi all, > >I'm going to migrate from Powerbuilder 4.0 to Powerbuilder 6.5 soo...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

Web resources about - Powerbuilder 7 (NT) to Powerbuilder 8 (win2000) has migration issues - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles