Please help, simple questions ?

Hello to you,
I'm newbie in pb8

I'd created datawindow connected to ms-access database.
I connected by database profile, using odbc, the profile name is "ms-access"
When I preview on datawindow, It can display my table in grid format.
I named it as dw_customer

then I drag datawindow object into window, named w_customer.

When I preview the window, Why It can't displayed the table ?
the datawidow control named dw_1

I also reading the online help, but I confusing the concept about retrieving
data.
I tried to put some code on window_open event as below :
connect using sqlca;
dw_1.settransobject(sqlca)
dw_1.retrieve()

but the above code, I tried also didn't work

It drives me mad in a week and finally I found this newsgroup

Please advice and give me some explanation about "database connection".
Is there any tutorial over the internet ? Please give the links
Note: I tried using search engine, it seems the pb goes dead, is it right ?

thanks in advance
steven

0
steven

You have to connect to your database first.

There is a tutorial that comes with PowerBuilder that will teach you the
basics. I would work through that first.

Also, please do not cross-post across newsgroups. It's pretty much the same
people answering questions in the newsgroups, so we're all reading your
message multiple times.

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]
VP - Power3

"steven" <stvhui@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Hello to you,
> I'm newbie in pb8
>

> I'd created datawindow connected to ms-access database.
> I connected by database profile, using odbc, the profile name is
"ms-access"
> When I preview on datawindow, It can display my table in grid format.
> I named it as dw_customer
>
> then I drag datawindow object into window, named w_customer.
>
> When I preview the window, Why It can't displayed the table ?
> the datawidow control named dw_1
>
> I also reading the online help, but I confusing the concept about
retrieving
> data.
> I tried to put some code on window_open event as below :
> connect using sqlca;
> dw_1.settransobject(sqlca)
> dw_1.retrieve()
>
> but the above code, I tried also didn't work
>
> It drives me mad in a week and finally I found this newsgroup
>
> Please advice and give me some explanation about "database connection".
> Is there any tutorial over the internet ? Please give the links
> Note: I tried using search engine, it seems the pb goes dead, is it right
?

> thanks in advance
> steven

0
Bill
5/10/2002 1:22:37 AM
Steven,

Previewing a window shows what the window will basically look like, it will
not execute the code behind it.  You'll need to run your app and open the
window.

Charles Grillo

0
Charlie
5/12/2002 1:17:19 PM
This is true pre-PB7 (not sure about 6 as I never used it), but from 7
onwards the code *is* executed.

--
All views expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of
my employer

"Charlie Grillo" <Charles@NOgrilloSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
> Steven,
>
> Previewing a window shows what the window will basically look like, it
will
> not execute the code behind it.  You'll need to run your app and open the
> window.
>
> Charles Grillo

0
Simon

Please Help, simple questions
Hello to you, I'm a newbie in PB using 7.0 I've a Window named w_cust (have 2 buttons, [INSERT ROW] and [UPDATE] ) and DataWindow named d_cust (the model is freeform) It display like : Name : City : Phone : [INSERT ROW] [UPDATE] I also write the script to the buttons. But when I click the [INSERT ROW] button, I didnt recieve the input state, why ?? and if I click the [UPDATE] button, the msgbox display that the DATAWINDOW didn't have update capabilities, why ?? But if I design the DATAWINDOW in GRID Model, ...

Please help
I'm just getting started with ASP/ASP.NET. I have W2k, installed IIS/.Netv1.1, and using the webmatrix to develop. When I use the web matrix server to test, all is OK. But if I use IIS then I cannot run any of the quickstart samples or even my own simple hello world project. The error occurs at any line that has <SCRIPT runat="server"> . The browser (IE6) gives me an error stating Expected ";" on line 3 <FULL CODE BELOW> ========================================================== <%@ Page Language="VB" %> <script runat=&q...

Please help for my simple question
Hai all I know it is very simple question . But I need ur help pls I want to change the color using expression property of datawindow for example if totalsale >= 80% the back ground colour of the totalsale column should be green , if it is >= 50 the back goround colur should be yello other wise if less that 50 the colur of this column should be red. Please how I can give in expression properties of the column in a datawindow With thanks and regards Polachan ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp H...

Please Help, simple questions
Hello to you, I'm a newbie in PB using 7.0 I've a Window named w_cust (have 2 buttons, [INSERT ROW] and [UPDATE] ) and DataWindow named d_cust (the model is freeform) It display like : Name : City : Phone : [INSERT ROW] [UPDATE] I also write the script to the buttons. But when I click the [INSERT ROW] button, I didnt recieve the input state, why ?? and if I click the [UPDATE] button, the msgbox display that the DATAWINDOW didn't have update capabilities, why ?? But if I design the DATAWINDOW in GRID Model, ...

Simple Question ... Please help!
I have what I am sure is a simple question. I've been searching online for an hour and have $180 worth of VB.NET books in front of me but I can't seem to find this. I have a form where end users create an account/membership that is stored to a SQL DB. The username fields have to be unique and I can't figure out how to query that info from the DB? I would just like to check if there are any users currently using that username and if so, just generate a textbox message asking them to create a different username. Thanks!Building websites for 7 years. Using VB.NET for 2 weeks....'amatuer' ...

Simple Query Question, please help
Table{ id, int (identity)  id2, int  ...}  I need to insert a row in a table and make id2=id it is actually quite easy to do it in 2 seperate queries, however, i wonder if there is a way to do it in one query with system functions. I am quite new to MSSQL, hope somebody can give me a hand. Thanks Hi ksha060 , You can use trigger to update id2.CREATE TRIGGER trgAfterInsert On YourTableName FOR INSERT AS BEGIN DECLARE @id2 int SELECT @id2 = id FROM inserted update YourTableName set id2 = @id2 where id = @id2 END ...

a simple portal question, please help me out.
Dim _portalSettings As PortalSettings = CType(HttpContext.Current.Items("PortalSettings"), PortalSettings) i know HttpContext.Current is to get the HttpContext object for the current HTTP request but I still have trouble to understand HttpContext.Current.Items("PortalSettings") part. Can some1 please explain it to me ? i got stuck on this part. thank you so much. At the start of each request a portalsettings object is created and dumped into the current context collection - making it available across the application for the duration of that request ...

Please help for my simple question #2
Dear All, Please help to get the solution for my simple question For example I have the menu with following Master -----> Unit -----> Department -----> Employee After selecting Employee the employee screen will be opened but after that when I am returned to the menu , The submenu will disappear from there from previous position. I have to select Master again to get Employee submenu . How Can I keep the previous selected status of the menu With thanks Polachan ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsg...

a General database question. Please help urgent!
guys i have a programming question i have table called prerequsiteswhich is like thisprerequisite component                       componenta                                                         bso in...

Please! Please! Please! Please! Help
I am very new to the Linux/Oracle/Perl world coming from a many many years of a Windows environment. I have self learned everything I know about this new environment. So far I have successfully installed Redhat 9 in an Intel box and have gotten Oracle 9I running correctly. I can run scripts via sqlplus, sqlldr etc. Perl (I think ver. 5.8.0) is running on the box and I can create and run scripts that do other processes but I have had no success in getting Perl to connect to the Oracle database to generate some reports. With my experience using MS-SQL there is no major issues w...

Web resources about - Please help, simple questions ? - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Derek Zoolander has hilarious answers for Vogue’s ‘73 Questions’
If there’s a guy who knows his fashion (or at least he thinks he does), that’s Derek Zoolander. In fact, he practically doesn’t know anything ...

41 of the trickiest questions Google will ask you in a job interview
Google has a reputation for asking difficult brain-teaser questions that challenge how you act under pressure. Most of them require you to think ...

Study questions link between teen pot smoking and IQ harm
Smoking marijuana during adolescence may not lead to declines in intelligence, experts say

Derek Zoolander answers Vogue’s ’73 Questions’: funny or forced?
For anyone unfamiliar with Vogue’s 73 Questions series, an “interviewer” off camera follows a celebrity around their home/place of employ, asking ...

5 Big Questions for Bitcoin in 2016
Ryan Selkis of CoinDesk and Digital Currency Group asks 5 big questions of bitcoin for 2016.

Hillary Dodges Question Of Whether Campaign Pressured DNC For Limited Debate Schedule
Hillary Dodges Question Of Whether Campaign Pressured DNC For Limited Debate Schedule

Davos 2016: Questions About Globalization's End And What Comes Next
Something is different on the Mountain this year. The tone of the Davos dialogue has shifted markedly in the nearly two decades I’ve trekked ...

Tennis stars question gambling ads amid match-fixing claims
Tennis stars question gambling ads amid match-fixing claims

Amazon Prime Air’s drone plan still leaves key questions unanswered
How much will it cost to get a 30-minute drone delivery from Amazon Prime Air? A newly published interview with Amazon executive Paul Misener ...