Performance and Tuning

I have a pb application running on sybase db.
It is very slow.
We used PFC for developing the application.
I would like to know what is the best to way to tune the performance of the
application.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated .
Thanks in advance..
Leo

0
Leo

Leo,
From my experience, performance problem mostly due to inefficient SQL
statement.  Check which SQL statement caused the problem and then tune that
SQL.

Hope this can help.

Leo <Spamoff_Leo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a pb application running on sybase db.
> It is very slow.
> We used PFC for developing the application.
> I would like to know what is the best to way to tune the performance of
the
> application.
> Any ideas are greatly appreciated .
> Thanks in advance..
> Leo

0
Michael
10/9/2000 8:21:57 AM
In particular, look at the fields joining tables in your "WHERE" clause.  If
any of the fields are not indexes (either permanent or temporary) you
performance will be effected.

--
Regards,
Nick Anzano
"Leo" <Spamoff_Leo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a pb application running on sybase db.
> It is very slow.
> We used PFC for developing the application.
> I would like to know what is the best to way to tune the performance of
the
> application.
> Any ideas are greatly appreciated .
> Thanks in advance..
> Leo

0
Nick
10/9/2000 2:53:09 PM
Running slow in what aspect?
Development/IDE
EXE running okay?
Running over a network?
On a slow network connection?
Is the Server Side slow too?
Have you run the SQL on directly on the SERVER side?

More info. required....

HTH
Ken

Leo <Spamoff_Leo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a pb application running on sybase db.
> It is very slow.
> We used PFC for developing the application.
> I would like to know what is the best to way to tune the performance of
the
> application.
> Any ideas are greatly appreciated .
> Thanks in advance..
> Leo

0
Ken
10/9/2000 8:51:29 PM
There are enough individual tips on performance tuning that there was
once a two day course on the topic. (I don't think that course exists
anymore, though.) To get at where your problem is, you're best off
using the Performance Profiling in PB Enterprise. This can help you
focus in on the scripts and / or statements that are causing you
problems, so you can focus your time on what will provide you with the
most impact.

If you've got a DBA to unload onto, I'd pass him all my SQL in hopes
he'd spot something or be able to identify problems with utilities
like EXPLAIN PLAN. PBL Peeper (see below) can run off all your
datawindow SQL and embedded SQL into RTFs you can send off.

Good luck,

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 18:37:30 -0400, "Leo" <Spamoff_Leo@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have a pb application running on sybase db.
>It is very slow.
>We used PFC for developing the application.
>I would like to know what is the best to way to tune the performance of the
>application.
>Any ideas are greatly appreciated .

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit,
winner of PowerTimes 1999 "Little Helper of the Year"
0
Terry

General performance
Name: Rodolfo Wetzel Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: General performance Comments: It works fine, specially with zooming sites like chess.com that are difficult with IE (chess pieces are not properly shown). What I really miss, are some add on like cooliris' blue botton to search faster. So I still use the Firefox 2.1 with working compatibilities. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008032620 Firefox/3.0b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Performance tuning
Is there a way to create and analyze some kind of trace files with SQL Anywhere 5.5? I have a program that issues "generated" SQL statements. I'd like to quickly look for those that create full table scans in any of the used tables to see if I can optimize data access. TIA Peter Peter Hiemenz Hilden, near Duesseldorf Germany I wrote something like this a couple months back. It interrogates the trace file that PowerBuilder produces. It's rather proprietary since it's one of the tools that I use when I do Performance & Tuning cons...

Tuning / performance
Hi all, Ok I have now released Bugzilla as our system bugtracking tool, and all is going well. I am running on Win XP virtual server Bugzilla v 2.22 My SQL 5.0.24a-community-nt Apache 2.2.3 But I seem to be hitting some issues. Sometimes users enter requests and they take a long time to respond. (30 secs plus) and their browser (IE and Firefox) returns a page cannot be displayed. I am currently running the default configuration for MySQL and Apache on windows. The bug change/addition is actually stored ok, but the system does not seem to be responding efficiently. ...

Performance Tuning
 (If this is the wrong forum, please advise and I'll repost).I have developed a web site, www.nzgdb.co.nz, using Visual Web Designer 2005 (Express).  It has a large genealogy database (SQL Server 2005), and runs on a new dual-core processor server with 2GB of memory, using SBS 2003 (SP 2).   There are no other applications or web sites running on this server.My design is supposed to be optimized for the two critical activities, page GDB1 which searches the GDB (genealogy database) according to various criteria to return a list of records, and page GDB2 which is invoke...

Performance tuning
Hi, We are using Jconnect 6.0.5 (latest EBF). We found that 'select db_name' was getting called before each and every sql update/insert. We are not sure why it is doing this. We need to prevent this unnecessary db call. Does any one have any idea Thanks Lachu Hi Lachu, This sounds like some JDBC Call might be happening in your application - offheand I don't know exactly what, but something like Connection.getCatalog() I don't think jConnect caches this sort of thing - so it might be the application code makes the call for each command execution. If yo...

What generals generally do

performance tuning
Hi, All, I run select * statement from a view on both ASE11.5 and ASE12. The speeds for returning the value are very different. On ASE11.5, it only takes 1min while on ASE12, it takes 30min. ASE12 has bigger data caches for the database and tempdb than what the ASE11.5 has. Both of them have the same indexes. After I run sp_sysmon on ASE12, in the report of data cache management, ASE12 has high cache hit ratio (that is good) and high pool turnover (no good). Does that mean I need to increase the data cache for ASE12? I also noticed that in OS, ASE12 has very tight free mem...

performance tuning
Hi, All, I run select * statement from a view on both ASE11.5 and ASE12. The speeds for returning the value are very different. On ASE11.5, it only takes 1min while on ASE12, it takes 30min. ASE12 has bigger data caches for the database and tempdb than what the ASE11.5 has. Both of them have the same indexes. After I run sp_sysmon on ASE12, in the report of data cache management, ASE12 has high cache hit ratio (that is good) and high pool turnover (no good). Does that mean I need to increase the data cache for ASE12? I also noticed that in OS, ASE12 has very tight free mem...

Tuning Performance
We intalled a Sybase IQ 12.5 on a HP-UX, we have a IQ database of 255 GB, some of the querys are very slow, please, what are the main aspects that we have to look for to get a better performance ??. Thanks. Jorge main things (imho): indexes, optimization of memory usage, iqtc 60% of memory. The rest need to see more info about your tables, indexes, query plan, type of querys, HW etc <Jorge del Mar> wrote in message news:416ae5e2.6071.1681692777@sybase.com... > We intalled a Sybase IQ 12.5 on a HP-UX, we have a IQ > database of 255 GB, some of the querys are very ...

Performance Tuning
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080804050908060708060306 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit 32-bit ASE 12.5 Solaris 8 1) I am running a number of stored procedures ... and have a few problems with the performance. It uses a few temporary tables. The stored procedure calls other stored procedures in a loop. By calling getdate() before and after each stored procedure call ... there was really nothing much that the sps ... do ..... almost everything completes execution in less than second. ...

Powerbuilder Performance
I have an application that runs faster in development mode than it does when I create an executable. When the executable is run on the network...performance slows down considerably. I'm using sybase open client. Any suggestions? Thanks! In article <01bf934c$6f37f900$7f2e8e92@hill-brdrck-psb>, hill_broderick@bls.gov says... > I have an application that runs faster in development mode than it does > when I create an executable. When the executable is run on the > network...performance slows down considerably. > > Hi, tell me a little bit about how...

Performance problem in general
Hi, Our main file server is on nw 6.5 (sp3-cpr). It's a dl360 g4 (dual 3.6 - HT disabled) with 4G ram and aroung 2 TB of data on a HP EVA5000. We're experiencing performance problem with most of our interactions with the server. Some days are better than others but it still slow. We mostly get our feedback from MSOffice users but we found out that even copying files or listening to mpg's are slow. I included a config.txt. Any ideas? Thanks Dave ---------- Start of Config.txt ---------------- Novell File Server Configuration Report For Server: Server1 Nov...

NT Performance Tuning
Need you expert to help. Hardware IBM X235, CPU 2.4 XEON, 2 G RAM RAID 5 SCSI HARD DISK (application software seperatedly installed on other machine) when compare to general computer : CPU 1.8 1G RAM SCSI HARD DISK ( (application software installed in same machine) the performance in running Sybase rather slow in IBM Group: Memory Use Parameter Name Default Memory Used Config Value Run Value Unit Type ------------------------------ ----------- ----------- ------------ ----------- -------------------- ---------- additional netwo...

Powerbuilder performance on the Network
Saving and opening windows or objects from the source code located on the network is very slow. It takes any where between 60 seconds for the programmer to save changes to a window. when accessing the object from network .the same operation takes to 10 seconds when accessing the object from the local hard disk. { one of the programmers timed this) . Now even navigating like opening the library list from library painter takes more than a minute. Any ideas/tools on how to ruleout Powerbuilder as the problem ? Our current production/support/development environment is V 9.0.1 Build...

Web resources about - Performance and Tuning - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Sapphire Readies Nitro R9 Fury: Custom Design and Enhanced Performance
... its own custom printed circuit board. Sapphire claims that the new Nitro R9 Fury will feature enhanced durability and slightly higher performance. ...

New DaaS platform aims to boost B2B marketing performance
Marketers are always keen to understand customer purchase intentions. But whilst there are many tools aimed at building consumer intelligence ...

China wearable device market continues to grow, with varied performance between segments, says IDC
According to the International Data Corporation (IDC ), wearable device shipments in China reached 7.37 million units in the third quarter of ...

Aleksandar Mitrovic - Anger fueled performance against Spurs - ESPN FC
Newcastle striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has revealed anger at not being selected in the team's starting XI fueled his decisive performance vs. ...

Justin Bieber Steals the Show With Flawless Performance of 'Sorry' on 'The Voice' Finale
In a finale filled with huge stars and massive hit songs, it was the 21-year-old singer who stole the spotlight.

Businesses Struggling with Application Performance Issues
Many IT teams still don't have a monitoring solution in place or don't have a solution equipped to detect certain types of performance issues. ...

Crytek’s stunning The Climb showcases VR performance on the Oculus Rift
Crytek has announced that its new VR title "The Climb" will showcase what the Oculus Rift can do. We step through the new game, and discuss just ...

Can Call of Duty: Black Ops III Outpace The Performance Of Previous Black Ops Titles?
It has been more than 5 weeks since the release of Activision Blizzard's Call of Duty: Black Ops III, and the sales trend for this title has ...

You Can Now Customize the Performance of Milwaukee Power Tools Through an App
Milwaukee isn’t the first power tool maker to connect its hardware to a smartphone app for automatic inventory tracking. But the company’s One-Key ...