PDF file using PB 9...

Is there a way to control the size of the PDF file that is created using PB
9?  In my earlier testing on our test box the sizeof the PDF file was around
20 kb, now that I'm testing on our development server the file size is about
3 times larger.  I'm concerned about this because I'm saving the file in the
database and fear that this will cause the database to grow very quickly.  I
want to get the file size as small as possible.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Troy

0
Troy

You could probably recover the PostScript file with a file recovery
tool to see if there's much difference there, but I'd suspect this
difference is largely controlled by GhostScript, as long as other
things are constant. Of course, there are probably some printer driver
settings you can change that could affect this, but I'm assuming
you're keeping those fixed as the control in your experiment. The only
variable I can think of off-hand that would grow a file size quickly
is if something changed so that it needed to be represented as bitmaps
instead of vectors or internal fonts.

If you're concerned, my suggestion would be to experiment with the two
elements you can control: the printer driver and the distiller. I've
seen Bruce suggest moving from the supplied Microsoft driver to the
publicly available Adobe driver. (I've never had the problem, as the
PB installation seems to have found my Adobe Acrobat Distiller driver
and used that one instead of installing the MS driver.) The other
thing to experiment with would be tossing aside GhostScript, which is
going to involve a change in programming paradigm AFAIK, and use
another distiller like Adobe Acrobat or Amnyui.

Good luck,

On 4 May 2004 14:00:35 -0700, "Troy Coombs" <coombst@quorumis.com>
wrote:

>Is there a way to control the size of the PDF file that is created using PB
>9?  In my earlier testing on our test box the sizeof the PDF file was around
>20 kb, now that I'm testing on our development server the file size is about
>3 times larger.  I'm concerned about this because I'm saving the file in the
>database and fear that this will cause the database to grow very quickly.  I
>want to get the file size as small as possible.

See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry

does pb 9 supports pdf distiller or pdf writer using pbni
I am trying to fix an application in pb8 that uses pdf writer or pdf 995. the program currently pops with the saveas dialog. I would like to suppress that in PB8. OR If I use PB9 can this be suppressed. I don't want to use ghost script because that leads into new issues of licensing and so on. Thanks In advance VSV ...

Using ole Method InsertFile to insert a file using PB 9.03
Hello all, I am using the VB InsertFile method to insert a file into another word document using the OLE statements within PB. I am using: oWord.Selection.InsertFile(ls_perac_logo + "\Perac address with Mass state seal.dot") This inserts the word template at the beginning of my other document. Is there away to insert the file at the third page of my destination document instead of at the beginning?. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!! ...

Using PDF files in PB
I create PDF files from within my pwoerbuilder program using the SAVEAS function. I need to append them from inside of another powerbuilder program. Anybody have any ideas that could help me. Thanks Scott check this out - http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/ Brad Scott Holmberg wrote: > I create PDF files from within my pwoerbuilder program using the SAVEAS > function. > I need to append them from inside of another powerbuilder program. > > Anybody have any ideas that could help me. > > Thanks > Scott > > This is some code somebod...

Using Pdf file in PowerBuilder
Hello, Can anyone tell me that: In PowerBuilder, I have a OLE object or Acrobat Control. And in the pdf file, i have make a field call phone_no. The question is that how can i put the value from powerbuilder to the field in the pdf file. Thank You Very Much!!! ...

Merge pdf files using Powerbuilder
Hi! Is there any way to merge two .pdf files generated by powerbuilder to be merged into one pdf file through powerbuilder. Any body can point me to any web site etc... Thanks, Sandeep The short answer is 'no' -- there is no built-in function in PB that handles PDF files. The long answer depends on how you generated the two PDF fioles in the first place -- if the PDF driver that you use supports the merge functionality, than the answer is 'Yes'. -- <hopethishelps /> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] mySybase - http://my.sybase.com "SM" <...

How to print PDF file using PB
Dear all, does anyone know how to read a PDF file and then send it to printer ? I've read many information from Sybase support and newsgroup. However, all is talking about "how to prepare a PDF file". In my case, PDF files are already exist. I need to read the PDF file and then print to printer. Could anyone give me some advices ? Many thanks! Fanny Using the ShellExecuteA Win32 API with the "print" verb should do, assuming the client has Adobe's Acrobat Reader software installed. Look at the implementation of the of_Print() function in th...

Writing to a PDF file or using PDF in RDLC using VWD 2005 Express
I've looked all over this forum to know how to write to a PDF file without any success. What I want to do is have the user press a button or click a link and a form/application will print out with the fields filled in from the SQL Server Express database. The form/application is a PDF file (some have edit fields some don't). I need a way to fill in this form/application using data from the database already. I've looked at some third party packages without understanding how they work. I've tried to place the PDF file on the rdlc form (or convert it) so it generates like a report witho...

Merge pdf files using Powerbuilde(2)
Thanks for the response Roy. Let me give U some background what I am doing. I have a composite datawindow which has about three pages of data and about four blob space in the database which has word document which is four pages each blob to be printed in different pages. I have to print this datawindow (3 pages) and word document (4 pages for which I use OLE) as one document or one print job so some ones else print job does not get between the two print I fire (one for datawindow and one for ole word). I use Acrobat distiller to save as, but is saves as two different pdf file. I don&#...

PDF files created by PB 9.0 not searchable?
Hello! I am testing upgrading to PB 9.0 (from 7.0). One of the big reasons we want to upgrade is the ability to save datawindows in PDF format. However, using the Ghostscript/distiller method, the PDF file that is created is not searchable. Is there any way to make it so that the text of the PDF can be searched? I am just using the "PDF" selection in the SaveAs dialog box, with the default settings. Thanks in advance! This has to do with the fonts being used. I'm sketchy on the details, and I know it's something being considered for PB9.0.2, but there may be a wo...

HI allI have a urgent requirement i want to convert .tiff image to .pdf file Thanks in advance Regards RaviPlease click "mark as answer" if this post helped you. I dont think its possible without doing a lot of code or using third party tools, but if you  are looking for a free tool you can try a combination of http://blog.codebeach.com/2008/02/convert-multipage-tiff-to-pdf-in-net.htmland  http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/Creating_PDF_documents_in.aspx Thanks and RegardsS.K.Vignesh----------------------Do remember to "Mark as answer" for this pos...

Merge data into a pdf file in a datawindow from SQL 2000 using PB 6.5
How do I display an existing pdf file in a PB 6.5 datawindow and import data from SQL 2000 into it? The user would like to view and print the pdf form. Is this possible? Thanks for your help! ...

Error in Saving Datawindow into PDF file Using Ghostscript
We are getting error while saving Powerbuilder Datawindow into PDF using ghostscript in WIndows 7 OS . Same is working fine in Windows Xp and windows 2000 . Does Windows 7 support the same . If yes Pls give some solution It would help if you told us what version of PowerBuilder you are using. <ARUN> wrote in message news:4ab30cdd.59aa.1681692777@sybase.com... > > We are getting error while saving Powerbuilder Datawindow > into PDF using ghostscript in WIndows 7 OS . Same is working > fine in Windows Xp and windows 2000 . > > Does Windows 7 support ...

PB 8 and PB 9 runtime files
I have the PB 8 and PB 9 runtime files in the same directory. Now when starting the PB 9 application get the following message: "target.exe - ordinal not found, the ordinal 33 could not be located in the dynamic link library libjsybheap.dll=94 How can this be corrected? Thanks AFAIK - Use the DLL from v9. You might also want to consider upgrading to a later v8 release as I believe that the later versions contain the same DLL as v9. Alternatively, you might want to create an apppath for your each version of your app and store the distribution DLLs by version - th...

How do you get a PDF file saved to a directory without clicking a button in PowerBuilder (using some kind of scheduler such as Windows Scheduler)?
Hi, In PowerBuilder 11.5, we can create a PDF file of the datawindow report at the click of a button in a window. However, we would like to know now to create some scheduler where a click of a button is not required. Is there a way to create a PDF file automatically everyday at, let's say, at noon? It has to be some kind of functionality that can go into Powerbuilder and do the PDF process and quit out of it. How do I do that? Busy Beaver Well, if your button does create that PDF file after retrieving the datawindow, what prevents you of creating a small app that retrieves,...

Web resources about - PDF file using PB 9... - sybase.powerbuilder.general

The Force Awakens Is The Biggest Movie Of All Time In North America
Last month we reported that in a span of 12 days, Star Wars: The Force Awakens managed to rake in $1 billion in ticket sales globally . It also ...

“No More Ballparks” — Oculus’ Palmer Luckey Admits Screwing Up Rift Price-Point Messaging
Oculus co-founder admits he screwed up Rift price-point messaging, explaining in a Reddit AMA that when he said “that ballpark” he had been thinking ...

Obama previews his 'nontraditional' State of the Union
Obama plans to take a big-picture approach in the address

Alabama Chief Justice Says Ban On Same-Sex Marriages Still In Effect
Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore's latest move against marriage equality is "sad & pathetic," Montgomery County Probate Judge Steven Reed tweeted ...

Watch Netflix’s new trailers for ‘The Get Down’ and ‘The Crown’
If you thought Netflix had a busy year in 2015, just wait until you see what the streaming company has in store for 2016. Over the next 12 months, ...

Khloe Kardashian Debuts ‘Kocktails With Khloe’ Trailer As She Slams Scott Disick For Playing A ‘Victim’ ...
Khloe Kardashian is set to reveal all in her new series, Kocktails with Khloe . In a promotional video for her new talk show, Khloe offered a ...

Winners and losers from Hall of Fame election night
Ken Griffey Jr. sets a ballot record and is joined by Mike Piazza in the Hall of Fame's Class of 2016, but who were the other winners and losers? ...

ces 2016: Chevy introduces the production Bolt EV
GM took to the stage at CES 2016 to introduce the production 2017 Chevrolet Bolt, which brings 200-miles of all-electric driving to the masses. ...

Iraq offers to mediate between Saudi and Iran, fearing for ISIS campaign
By Maher Chmaytelli BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq dispatched its foreign minister to Tehran on Wednesday with an offer to mediate in an escalating ...

Congress sends health care repeal to Obama, setting up certain veto
CNN Congress sends health care repeal to Obama, setting up certain veto Miami Herald Congressional Republicans made good Wednesday on a central ...