PB GPFs while migrating an app from PB 5.0.2 to PB 8.0.1

Hi, I am trying to migrate an application from PB 5.0.02 to PB 8.0.01.
The application runs perfectly under PB 5.0.02.

While migrating the app, I get the following message:

Pb80 has caused an error in PBVM80.DLL.

Then PB crashes.
Any suggestions? Moreover, does anyone know of some white paper
with some advices on migrating apps?

Thx
Luca

0
Luca

Before migrating, you should run the Migration Assistant (File / New /
Tools). Make any suggested changes with PB5 before migrating. Of
course, backup, backup, backup. Then, optimize all the PBLs and do a
Full Rebuild (Library Painter / Design / Full Rebuild) before
migrating.

Check the ReadMe for any additional information on migrating.

Good luck,

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 02:40:13 +0200, "Luca Arena" <amico@lucaarena.it>
wrote:

>Hi, I am trying to migrate an application from PB 5.0.02 to PB 8.0.01.
>The application runs perfectly under PB 5.0.02.
>
>While migrating the app, I get the following message:
>
>Pb80 has caused an error in PBVM80.DLL.
>
>Then PB crashes.
>Any suggestions? Moreover, does anyone know of some white paper
>with some advices on migrating apps?

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
9/16/2002 2:54:22 AM
Hi Terry, I followed your advices and made some corrections,
but I get the same error.
To be exact, when I try to migrate the app, PowerBuilder starts
regenerating objects (Creating type... Regenerating (pass1)... etc.)
and suddenly exits without any message and without causing
any error in Windows (I am using WinME on a Celeron700 with
192MB of RAM).
If I try again to migrate the app, then I get the PBVM80 error:
so I think the PBVM80 error might be caused by the fact that
the first migration process breaks in a strange manner.

I made some other experiments...
Since my company has all PowerBuilder versions, I tried to migrate the
app to PB 6.0 and I succeeded without any problem.
Then, I tried migrating  from PB 6 to PB 7 and I obtained an error in
PBCMP70.DLL.
Instead, if I try to migrate from PB 6 to PB 8 I obtain the same behaviour I
get when migrating from PB 5.0.2.

I'm becoming mad...
Some other advices?

Thx

"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Before migrating, you should run the Migration Assistant (File / New /
> Tools). Make any suggested changes with PB5 before migrating. Of
> course, backup, backup, backup. Then, optimize all the PBLs and do a
> Full Rebuild (Library Painter / Design / Full Rebuild) before
> migrating.
>
> Check the ReadMe for any additional information on migrating.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 02:40:13 +0200, "Luca Arena" <amico@lucaarena.it>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi, I am trying to migrate an application from PB 5.0.02 to PB 8.0.01.
> >The application runs perfectly under PB 5.0.02.
> >
> >While migrating the app, I get the following message:
> >
> >Pb80 has caused an error in PBVM80.DLL.
> >
> >Then PB crashes.
> >Any suggestions? Moreover, does anyone know of some white paper
> >with some advices on migrating apps?
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 2.1.01 now available at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
Luca
9/17/2002 2:09:30 PM
If you watch carefully as the migration progresses, you should be able to
see which object was the one PB was migrating when it crashed.  Focus on
that object and see where that leads you.

steve
[TeamSybase]
0
Steve_Katz_
9/17/2002 3:59:34 PM
You do have one major problem that you may not get away from: WinME
isn't a supported platform for PB8. This may not actually be your
problem, but you'll never know until you do a migration on a supported
platform.

Steve's idea of watching which object blows up is a good one, but IME,
this object may be the problem or it may be that this object is trying
to reference that didn't compile correctly.

You may want to try migrating connected to a different database. (This
is more a shot in the dark than anything else.)

If you had PowerGen (http://www.ecrane.com), I'd export everything
from the PB5 version and bootstrap import everything into new PBLs in
the PB8 version. (If this worked, I'd bet that bootstrapping into new
PBLs in PB5 and migrating would work too.) In theory, PBL Peeper will
do this for you, but I know it will fail with OLE controls, and is
much more memory intensive and much less reliable than PowerGen. You
*may* also have a problem getting it to work on a 5.0.02 system (even
with the run times installed, ORCA still tries to load some IDE DLLs
that aren't distributed with it, and loading 5.0.02 DLLs may make it
blow up).

Beyond that, I'm running out of ideas. Maybe knowing the last object
worked on will help.

Good luck,

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:09:30 +0200, "Luca Arena" <amico@lucaarena.it>
wrote:

>Hi Terry, I followed your advices and made some corrections,
>but I get the same error.
>To be exact, when I try to migrate the app, PowerBuilder starts
>regenerating objects (Creating type... Regenerating (pass1)... etc.)
>and suddenly exits without any message and without causing
>any error in Windows (I am using WinME on a Celeron700 with
>192MB of RAM).
>If I try again to migrate the app, then I get the PBVM80 error:
>so I think the PBVM80 error might be caused by the fact that
>the first migration process breaks in a strange manner.
>
>I made some other experiments...
>Since my company has all PowerBuilder versions, I tried to migrate the
>app to PB 6.0 and I succeeded without any problem.
>Then, I tried migrating  from PB 6 to PB 7 and I obtained an error in
>PBCMP70.DLL.
>Instead, if I try to migrate from PB 6 to PB 8 I obtain the same behaviour I
>get when migrating from PB 5.0.2.
>
>I'm becoming mad...
>Some other advices?
>
>Thx
>

>"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Before migrating, you should run the Migration Assistant (File / New /
>> Tools). Make any suggested changes with PB5 before migrating. Of
>> course, backup, backup, backup. Then, optimize all the PBLs and do a
>> Full Rebuild (Library Painter / Design / Full Rebuild) before
>> migrating.
>>
>> Check the ReadMe for any additional information on migrating.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>>
>> On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 02:40:13 +0200, "Luca Arena" <amico@lucaarena.it>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi, I am trying to migrate an application from PB 5.0.02 to PB 8.0.01.
>> >The application runs perfectly under PB 5.0.02.
>> >
>> >While migrating the app, I get the following message:
>> >
>> >Pb80 has caused an error in PBVM80.DLL.
>> >
>> >Then PB crashes.
>> >Any suggestions? Moreover, does anyone know of some white paper
>> >with some advices on migrating apps?
>>
>> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
>> Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
>> Version 2.1.01 now available at the Sandbox
>> ^ ^
>> o o
>> =*=

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
9/17/2002 7:17:08 PM
Same thing happened to me when i migrated from 6.5 to 8.0.1..but every thing
went smooth when i migrated to 7.0.3.
I was getting GPF in a window where i have declared shared variables so i
removed it and i did the migration without any problem.so pay attention to the
oject which is giving GPF
Good Luck
Ashok
On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:59:34 -0400,
 <Steve_Katz_[TeamSybase]> wrote:
>If you watch carefully as the migration progresses, you should be able to
>see which object was the one PB was migrating when it crashed.  Focus on
>that object and see where that leads you.
>
>steve
>[TeamSybase]
0
Ashok
9/17/2002 8:12:15 PM
Hi to you all!

THANKS!!! I GOT IT!

I followed all of your advices and, finally, I found the problem, that is,
SHARED VARIABLES.
I looked at the migrating process and I saw that the error was given while
migrating my "u_dw" object, which is an "intelligent datawindow" object
derived from the standard datawindow object and used virtually in *every*
data-entry window of my app.
This object had the following SHARED variables to hold some color codes:

STRING  ss_coloreobbl = String(RGB(182, 244, 248))
STRING  ss_colorenorm = '16777215'
STRING  ss_coloredisabil = '12632256'

I simply moved these shared variables to instance variables... and I
succeeded in migrating to PB 8.0.1!
Now, the question is: does PB 8 no longer support Shared Variables? Or is it
just a bug of the migration routine?
Anyway, from now on this isn't a problem of mine, since that was the only
object into which I used shared vars :-)

MANY THX AGAIN TO YOU ALL :-)))
Luca

P.S. Terry, while WinME isn't a supported platform, it seems PB8 runs ok...
I'd prefer to use some NT class operating system (such as NT4, 2000 or XP)
but I had a lot of problems using PB 5.0.2 on NT4 and so I decided to go
back to win9x. Infact, when I installed PB5 on NT4, it ran perfectly but it
built EXEs that caused GPFs under Win9x platforms. Do you know if such a
problem has been solved in the next releases of PB?

Thx in advance,
Luca

> [...]
> >> Before migrating, you should run the Migration Assistant (File / New /
> >> Tools). Make any suggested changes with PB5 before migrating. Of
> >> course, backup, backup, backup. Then, optimize all the PBLs and do a
> >> Full Rebuild (Library Painter / Design / Full Rebuild) before
> >> migrating.
> >>
> >> Check the ReadMe for any additional information on migrating.
> >>
> >> Good luck,
> >>
> >> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten

> >> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> >> Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> >> Version 2.1.01 now available at the Sandbox
> >> ^ ^
> >> o o
> >> =*=
> >

> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 2.1.01 now available at the Sandbox

0
Luca
9/18/2002 2:04:23 PM
PB 8 definitely supports Shared Variables, so it IS a bug in the migration
routine.
Open a case with support.
0
Philip_Salgannik
9/18/2002 3:21:58 PM
As for the platform compilation question, that shouldn't have been a
problem in PB5. There are also plenty of user-initiated reasons for it
to fail on another platform, so I'd be pretty reluctant to suggest
whether or not your problem is solved.

Glad you've gotten past your migration problem. Haven't run into it
myself (I migrate objects with shared variables almost daily with PBL
Peeper), but there's likely something specific and defining in your
case. Definitely worth reporting, especially if you can provide them
with a small case (couple of objects) to reproduce the issue.

Good luck,

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:04:23 +0200, "Luca Arena" <amico@lucaarena.it>
wrote:

> [...]
>> >Since my company has all PowerBuilder versions, I tried to migrate the
>> >app to PB 6.0 and I succeeded without any problem.
>> >Then, I tried migrating  from PB 6 to PB 7 and I obtained an error in
>> >PBCMP70.DLL.
>> >Instead, if I try to migrate from PB 6 to PB 8 I obtain the same
>behaviour I
>> >get when migrating from PB 5.0.2.
>> >
>> >I'm becoming mad...
>> >Some other advices?
>> >
>> >Thx
>> >

>> >"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

>> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
>> Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
>> Version 2.1.01 now available at the Sandbox
>> ^ ^
>> o o
>> =*=

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.

Field size issue migrating DWs from PB 5.0.2 to PB 8.0.1
Hi, I have just migrated an app from PB 5.0.02 to PB 8.0.1.8004 and I had a problem with the size of fields in some dws. The matter is: I use the FixedSys font for my fields, since it is monospaced and easily readable; now, some fields that are completely readable in the PB5 version became partially hidden in the PB8 version. For example, I have some "year" fields with a width of 147 PBUs and edit mask "####"; while they behave perfectly in the PB5 version, in the PB8 one, when the user tabs to such a field the 4th figure is not visible (say, he sees "200" ...

Migrate/Upgrade from PB 5.0.xx to PB 8.0/9.0
Hi, I am having the PB 5.0.xx Applications running on my pc at this moment. I have to Migrate/Upgrade them to PB 8/9. What is the best way to get this? Can any one give me some guidance on this? Thanks for your Help in Advance Regards Migrating: - Backup - Optimize in PB5 - Full Rebuild in PB5, with Information and Warning messages turned on - Backup, send it offside - Run Migration Assistant (File / New / Tools in PB8/9) - Fix the identified issues using PB5 <doublechecking> - Optimize in PB5 - Full Rebuild in PB5, with Information and Warning messages t...

PB crashes while migrating pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0
Hi, I am trying migrate a pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0. It crashes while rebuilding for migration. Is there anything needs to be taken care before the migrating it to pb 9.0 ? Thanks, Mohan Same as any other version: - backup - optimize all PBLs - run Migration Assistant in destination version; try to deal with as much as possible in original version - full build, with information and warning messages turned on, so you know which messages after migration aren't new - backup, backup, backup - migrate - if it crashes, try again and watch messages to see if you ca...

[MIGRATION QUESTION] PB 6.5.1 vs PB 8.0.1
Hi everyone, i have a question : We have developped a startegic application for one of our customer. We've developped it using PB 6.5.1 (on Windows NT 4.0) we plan to migrate this application to PB 8.0.1. Does anyone have heard about particuliar problems about PB 8 ? What is your opinion about this new version ? It seems to be faster... Is it stable enough w/ OCXs, etc ? Thanks in advance for any answer ! best regards, Guillaume MAISON In Sybase.Public.EAServer.PowerBuilder I answered another question regarding PB4 to PB8. See that posting for further detai...

ScrollToRow() problem after migrating from PB 5.0 to PB 8.0
I have migrated an application from PB 5.0 to PB 8.0.Have couple of master/detail screens so use scrolltorow for manipulation.That worked fine in PB 5.0 does not work properly after migration. Is that a PB 8.0 bug ,is there anything that I can do as I need the scrolltorow functionality. Thanks Ann Can you define "does not work properly" a little more precisely? Does it not scroll? Does it not scroll to the right row? Does it blow up? It "works" for me in several apps, so you're probably going to have to be more specific than that. There has been a k...

Migration from PB 5.0.4 to PB 7.0.1
Anyone experience any problems with migrating from 5.0.4 to 7.0.1? I am having some problems with blobs in PB 7.0.1 and SQL Server 7.0 that I didn't have in PB 5.0.4. Thank you Build 7021 for PB 7.0.1 from the Sybase website worked. Thanks for Help! Robert Wren, Jr. <rwren@home.com> wrote in message news:nUQVd1FX$GA.177@forums.sybase.com... > Anyone experience any problems with migrating from 5.0.4 to 7.0.1? I am > having some problems with blobs in PB 7.0.1 and SQL Server 7.0 that I didn't > have in PB 5.0.4. > > Thank you > > ...

pb 6.5, pb 7.0, pb 8.0 and future releases
I have designed an app using PB 6.5.1 and feel quite confortable to write another app using this version of Power Buulder. I am aware that there have been many other releases after this but have heard many developers complain about not being stable and so forth. I can't say how true this is cause I never bothered to update to later releases. I recently got a contract for a new app and quite likely will be using Power Biulder but I am wondering if am cheating myself by not trying to upgrade myself to a later release of Power Biulder. Thanks. Charlie. Charlie You...

PB 5.0.2 to PB 8
I recently found myself in charge of an application built in Powerbuilder 5.0.2 using the PFC. Nobody seems to have the installation disks for PB 5.0.2 available anymore, so I was looking at Powerbuilder 8. I have never used PB 8 nor have I used PFC in any version. My 2 questions are 1) can and go from PB 5.0.2 to PB 8 and 2) how do you migrate using the PFC?? Thanks. Wallace Henry whenry@newcorp.com Wallace, if your PFC has not got 'customized' in any way, you might be able just to replace the old libraries with the new ones from PB 8. Each new version was ac...

Migration from PB 8.0.1 to PB 10.5
Hi Guys, I have another question about the same window. In PB 8.0, I am using dwcontrol.GetBandAtPointer() function and the return value is header 1. But the same script in PB 10.5 returns background 0. Am I missing something. Do I need to apply a EBF Patch. What can cause all these errors? I would appreciate your help. Thanks ...

Oracle Client 8.1.7
Hi all, I have a question about compatibility between PB native driver and oracle sql*net for different versions of Power Builder. We have 3 applications developed in 3 different versions of Power Builder: 5.00.0.0, 6.5.1.620 and 7.0.10047 All of them are using the Oracle Client 8.1.6 and accessing via PB Native Driver to Oracle. Although this is combination is not supported, the person in charge of the PB part tested this combination and decided to upgrade the oracle client from version 7.3.X to 8.1.6. So far it is working properly for us. Now, if it is decided to move to ora...

PB 8.0.2 and Crystal Reports 8.0.1.0 #2
Hi, Are there any details available (examples) on how to call/open a Crystal report within an PB application? Thanks, Mahesh ...

PB 5.0.4 migration to PB 7.0.2 issue
I'm trying to help a colleague solve a problem she is having in a fairly complex application. Of course, the application works fine using PB 5.0.4, but after migrating, a sheet which opens a modal window is not stopping to wait for the modal window's result. If I create a simple modal window and open it from the sheet, it does the same thing. If I create a simple sheet and open the modal window from that sheet it works properly. I've done the regens and optimizations. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, how did you resolve it?! Also if you have any s...

PB 8.0 crashes during migration from PB 6.5.1
I'm attempting to upgrade our application from 6.5.1 to 8.0. I downloaded the evaluation version a couple of months ago and tested whether or not I would have problems and the migration went fine. Now the company has decided to go ahead with the upgrade to 8.0 and I'm getting Illegal Operation - "PB80 caused an invalid page fault in module PBVM80.DLL at 0177:10c74274." when migrating the objects in the library list using the wizard. I then downloaded the latest patches to upgrade our build from 6028 to 8004 and this is still occurring. Any ideas? TIA for yo...

Migration form PB 6.5.1 to PB 8.0
Platform : Windows 2000 5.00.2195 Current Scenario : Database : From SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 Front End : PowerBuilder - 6.5.1 The above configuration which is in production at our 40 locations and working absolutely fine We now migrated to : Database : From SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to ASA - 7.0.3 Front End : PowerBuilder - 6.5.1 to PB 8.0 Now in this combination some DWs are giving error message : PowerBuilder supports only upto 16 decimals. The same DWs are working absolutely fine in old version. Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks in advance -Amar...

Web resources about - PB GPFs while migrating an app from PB 5.0.2 to PB 8.0.1 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Thunderclap Migrating From Twitter to Facebook
Thunderclap, a mass-messaging service that gained popularity on Twitter, has set its sights on Facebook . Twitter recently booted Thunderclap ...

Facebook Migrating Unofficial Page Fans to Official Pages at Brand Owner’s Request
Rupesh Mandal is such an avid fan of the Opera Mini web browser that he set up a Page on Facebook totally devoted to celebrating it, and then ...

Teens Migrating From Facebook To Comments Section Of Slow-Motion Deer Video - YouTube
Subscribe to The Onion on YouTube: http://bit.ly/xzrBUA Trendwatchers say more and more teens are leaving Facebook and Twitter in favor of the ...

UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating professionals, study finds
... with 28 per cent, was the leading source of professionals, according to the LinkedIn study. The UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating ...

Record Numbers of New Zealanders Migrating to Australia
Acting on impulse: why the Kiwis keep coming ... and coming and coming

The krilling season: Whales keep tourists migrating south
Earlybird whale watchers in Eden have been rewarded with astounding acrobatic displays in the bay.

Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great
Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great

Researchers say Irukandji jellyfish migrating further south along Qld coast
Researchers say climate change could be altering the migration patterns of the dangerous Irukandji jellyfish along Qld's east coast.

Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating to more advanced technology
... Company , iPhone , and iPad continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating ...

More eBay Merchants Migrating to Amazon in Search of Sales Growth
EBay's once-loyal merchants are moving more of their business to Amazon, saying they get more for their money by selling merchandise via the ...