PB from Java? or Java from PB?

Hi PB Experts,

It's been many a year since I dabbled with PB, and now I am working for a
Java component vendor.  We have a prospect that is using PB (and VB) and
doesn't know anything about Java.  I have some vague ideas about how the two
can talk to each other, but am interested in what your experience might be
in this regard.

Thanks in advance for any advice/perspective.

- Jordan.

Jordan Olin
Sr. Technical Account Manager
ILOG, Inc.
jolin@ilog.com
(781) 365-4003

0
Jordan

At this point, you're gold if the Java component is residing on
EAServer. There have been some other discussions on how to do this
otherwise (I think one suggestion has been a Sun-published Java-to-COM
bridge), so you might want to look at old messages on places like
Google Groups to glean some already recorded wisdom.

PB9 is going to change options significantly. Accessing other app
servers and being able to wrap a Java component in JNI, then in PBNI
to make it look like a PB component. The beta is still open
(http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1020577,00.html), if you want to
have a look for yourself.

Good luck,

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:27:42 -0500, "Jordan Olin" <jolin@ilog.com>
wrote:

>It's been many a year since I dabbled with PB, and now I am working for a
>Java component vendor.  We have a prospect that is using PB (and VB) and
>doesn't know anything about Java.  I have some vague ideas about how the two
>can talk to each other, but am interested in what your experience might be
>in this regard.
>
>Thanks in advance for any advice/perspective.

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
11/25/2002 7:09:06 PM
Two Options:

1.     Java-to-com bridge
        Pretty easy, we are currently using this technique without any
hitch.
2.     Oracle Stored Procedure written in Java.

Raman Chawla

"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
> At this point, you're gold if the Java component is residing on
> EAServer. There have been some other discussions on how to do this
> otherwise (I think one suggestion has been a Sun-published Java-to-COM
> bridge), so you might want to look at old messages on places like
> Google Groups to glean some already recorded wisdom.
>
> PB9 is going to change options significantly. Accessing other app
> servers and being able to wrap a Java component in JNI, then in PBNI
> to make it look like a PB component. The beta is still open
> (http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1020577,00.html), if you want to
> have a look for yourself.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:27:42 -0500, "Jordan Olin" <jolin@ilog.com>
> wrote:
>
> >It's been many a year since I dabbled with PB, and now I am working for a
> >Java component vendor.  We have a prospect that is using PB (and VB) and
> >doesn't know anything about Java.  I have some vague ideas about how the
two
> >can talk to each other, but am interested in what your experience might
be
> >in this regard.
> >
> >Thanks in advance for any advice/perspective.
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 2.2.00 now available at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
Raman
11/26/2002 5:02:08 AM
Could anyone help me with this?

Is the Java-to-com bridge available from Sun or is it a product that has
been developed by a third party that you are using?

Many thanks,
David Hickman

"Raman Chawla" <Raman.Chawla@amsa.gov.au> wrote in message
> Two Options:
>
> 1.     Java-to-com bridge
>         Pretty easy, we are currently using this technique without any
> hitch.
> 2.     Oracle Stored Procedure written in Java.
>
> Raman Chawla
>
> "Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
> > At this point, you're gold if the Java component is residing on
> > EAServer. There have been some other discussions on how to do this
> > otherwise (I think one suggestion has been a Sun-published Java-to-COM
> > bridge), so you might want to look at old messages on places like
> > Google Groups to glean some already recorded wisdom.
> >
> > PB9 is going to change options significantly. Accessing other app
> > servers and being able to wrap a Java component in JNI, then in PBNI
> > to make it look like a PB component. The beta is still open
> > (http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1020577,00.html), if you want to
> > have a look for yourself.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
> >
> > On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:27:42 -0500, "Jordan Olin" <jolin@ilog.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >It's been many a year since I dabbled with PB, and now I am working for
> > >Java component vendor.  We have a prospect that is using PB (and VB)
and
> > >doesn't know anything about Java.  I have some vague ideas about how
the
> two
> > >can talk to each other, but am interested in what your experience might
> be
> > >in this regard.
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance for any advice/perspective.
> >
> > Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> > Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> > Version 2.2.00 now available at the Sandbox
> > ^ ^
> > o o
> > =*=

0
David
11/26/2002 8:56:37 AM
Sun. Check out their web site.

Good luck,

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 08:56:37 -0000, "David Hickman"
<dh@databank.co.uk> wrote:

>Could anyone help me with this?
>
>Is the Java-to-com bridge available from Sun or is it a product that has
>been developed by a third party that you are using?
>
>Many thanks,
>David Hickman
>
>"Raman Chawla" <Raman.Chawla@amsa.gov.au> wrote in message
>> Two Options:
>>
>> 1.     Java-to-com bridge
>>         Pretty easy, we are currently using this technique without any
>> hitch.
>> 2.     Oracle Stored Procedure written in Java.
>>
>> Raman Chawla
>>
>> "Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
>> > At this point, you're gold if the Java component is residing on
>> > EAServer. There have been some other discussions on how to do this
>> > otherwise (I think one suggestion has been a Sun-published Java-to-COM
>> > bridge), so you might want to look at old messages on places like
>> > Google Groups to glean some already recorded wisdom.
>> >
>> > PB9 is going to change options significantly. Accessing other app
>> > servers and being able to wrap a Java component in JNI, then in PBNI
>> > to make it look like a PB component. The beta is still open
>> > (http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1020577,00.html), if you want to
>> > have a look for yourself.
>> >
>> > Good luck,
>> >
>> > Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten

>and
>the
>> two
>> be

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
See the new PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry

PB to Java Conversion, Calling PB Functions from Java
Sorry for the cross-post, but I was not sure which group to post to for these kinds of questions. I was wondering if there is a way to call PB functions from Java on a Windows platform. Especially the datawindow/datawindow control related functions and events (like modify and describe). I would also like to know if there are any Java libraries available that provide PB equivalent functionality that can be used to convert PB to Java. Thanks in advance. ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Tim Sybase has a produc...

Calling PB Functions From Java, PB to Java Conversion
I was wondering if there is a way to call PB functions from Java on a Windows platform. Especially the datawindow/datawindow control related functions and events (like modify and describe). I would also like to know if there are any Java libraries available that provide PB equivalent functionality that can be used to convert PB to Java. Thanks in advance. ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Interesting. I'll think about that. J -- Jonathan Baker eBusiness Division Sybase, Inc. "Tim O...

PB / Java
I need to re-write a DLL that is written in C - I don't really know the C language so I thought I would use Java. Basically I need to create a couple of methods that interact with a serial device and make the functions available for use in Powerbuilder - can I create a DLL using Java? Is a DLL the best way to do this? Should I use the JNI? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. Hi, please use the PB newsgroups, like: powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Thank you. Regards Stefan jcloken wrote: > I need to re-write a DLL that is written in ...

PB-Java
Is there a way to call a powerbuilder (6 or 7) function in a user object from a Java client (without converting the user object to Java)? We are not using EA Server and the Java program is a stand-alone application. Our Java app gets notifications of market price movements and we want to automatically refresh our PB screen with the new prices somehow... <Mark_Pugel> wrote in message news:098135AAFA8DBEC0005C916F85256AF7.005C919285256AF7@webforums... > Is there a way to call a powerbuilder (6 or 7) function in a user object > from a Java client (without converting the...

Java to Pb
I have a Pb 7.02 non-visual object that resides on a Jaguar Server. I am calling the Pb object from a Power J 3.5 session. I am getting the following error message. javax.naming lookup failed for component: p_jagpkg_bjf.n_cst_shared_object_bjf Exception: [Root exception is java.lang.ClassNotFound p_jagpkg_bjf.n_cst_shared_object_bjfHomeStub]javax.naming.NamingException I linked the jaguar proxy to the inital contect object. This process worked EAS 3.0. Any ideas. Brian Frankle --------------E10014EDC9D5B48021B90A96 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-T...

From PB to JAVA
Hi, What is the best way to learn JAVA for a PB expert? Is there a tool which can transform PB to JAVA?... Shay A tool to transform PB to Java? Now that would not be learning, would it? Seriously, though, there is no such tool. My advice to you is to do the same thing you did when you were first introduced to PowerBuilder -- start with the notorious "Hello World" class, and work your way up to the area that is of interest to you (GUI programming/AWT/Swing, server-side programming/J2EE, etc.) A good book on Java is always nice to have -- I found the O'Reil...

Java And PB
Hello all, I have noticed that there are several Java classes in PB similar to those of PowerScript, and I would like to ask whether it is possible to use these classes to develop PB applications, and if yes, if any special configuration is needed to do so. Thank you -- Marios Andreas Tofarides Synthesis Software Development Team Email: development@synthesis.com.cy What exactly are you referring to? -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Developer Network (SDN) -- http://sdn.sybase.com "Marios Andreas Tofarides" <development@synthesis...

PB to Java
I want my PB apps to be able to talk to my Java apps. Is a framework like SOAP the best way to go about doing this? Josh It's definitely fashionable -- what exactly do you mean by "talk"? What kind of information is to be exchanged? Is it bi-directional (i.e., request/response)? Do your Java apps "talk" to other applications already? If not, do you anticipate other apps to have to do that in the future? -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] SDN CoeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com "Joshua Ruppert" <jruppertATroch...

PB and Java
I'm trying to accomplish getting PowerBuilder to communicate (invoke functions) with a set of Java classes. So far I've been using JET to compile to a DLL, but there seem to be some issues with the data types. Can anybody tell me of a method of calling Java methods from PB? I'm using PB 6.5. I'm a bit desperate...so any help would be appreciated. -Michael ...

PB Client calling JAVA bean component passing PB resultset
I am calling a JAVA Bean component in Jaaguar from PB Client. I want to pass the component Powerbuilder Resultset to the component. I will use the PB CreatFrom and GenerateResultSet to manage the data in PB. Can anyone help me with how JAVA works with these as passed arguments? Thanks Alan B. Lehman I have a project that has a PB component and a Java client. The following Java code calls a method on the PB component (f_show_results) which returns a resultset using GenerateResultSet. Perhaps this will help steer you in the right direction. import com.sybase.CORBA.jdbc11...

Java -> EAS35 PB comp -> java.lang.ClassCastException
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01BF7716.048FEBF0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable A call to a PB component in EAS35 from Java client results in the = java.lang.ClassCastException. CORBA22 stubs for PB comp. TIA. -------------------------------------------------------------------------= --- OUTPUT: starting TestClient ---->Session created. java.lang.ClassCastException: com.sybase.CORBA.ObjectRef java.lang.ClassCastException: com.sybase.CORBA.ObjectRef ...

java powerbuilder to java functions
We are currently on PowerBuilder 8.0, backend Sybase, and are looking into web development using pure Java, no EAS. Are there any class libraries out there that have been written for java/powerbuilder, for instance the equivelent of Rowcount() or Find, or other datawindow functions, but now instead of using datawindows we will be using arrays. I hate to reinvent the wheel and it seems like somebody must have done this already. Larry Horowitz Larry, I'm lost. No EAS, no DataWindows. Where does PowerBuilder fit into the solution here? -- Bruce Armstrong [TeamSy...

PB 8.0.2 Build 9506
Here's another one - when I open PB 8, I get a messagebox that states: "Could not instantiate the Web Target Applet Info Java class. This is most likely caused by not having the Microsoft Java VM installed. After this VM is installed through the 'Custom' install in IE, this message will not be displayed again." The other developers on my team do not get this message when they open PB 8. I assume the reference to "IE" is Internet Explorer. I was running version 6, and the others on my team were running version 5. I could not find a '...

Integration PB
Hi, I have an application developed in Java that consists of many frames. I have an application done in PowerBuilder 6,5, from which I think to call some objects that I have in the Java application. I that I can do it using a Link and sending the parameters, but have the problem of the security since I must send confidential information. thanks LuisJaimeG. ...

Web resources about - PB from Java? or Java from PB? - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Java - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the Indonesian island. For the programming language, see Java (programming language) . For other uses, see Java (disambiguation) ...

Judge William Alsup: Master of the court and Java
Mastery of the courtroom wasn't all that Alsup brought to the Oracle v. Google trial. He also showed mastery of the subject matter, more than ...

Java 101 primer: Composition and inheritance
In " Java 101: Inheritance in Java, Part 1 ," you learned how to leverage inheritance for code reuse, by establishing is-a relationships between ...

IBM Focused on 3 Major Languages: Java, Node.js and Swift
As Swift has come on strong for mobile app dev, IBM has committed to three primary programming platforms: Java, Node.js and Swift.

OracleVoice: Java Community Keeps 20-Year-Old Computer Language Young
In its 20 years, Java is used for building everything from mobile phone apps to video games to enterprise IT applications. The language is designed ...

Oracle v. Google : Judge Alsup, who reportedly taught himself Java, gets the law wrong again
Many people were impressed by Judge William H. Alsup's claim ( according to media reports ) that he had taught himself Java to better be able ...

3 Billion Devices And A Sega Genesis Run Java
... play homebrew games on a real Genesis console, everyone has a CD burner somewhere. [Mike] began writing his demo and then realized adding Java ...

Java shines brightest in language popularity
... enterprise platform again tops both the Tiobe and PyPL indexes thanks to changes that close the gap with functional programming languages Java's ...

Coffee Drinker Study Reveals Alarming Personality Characteristics Of Java Lovers
If you are a coffee drinker, you may not like what you are about to read. A new study has shown that people with a preference for the bitter ...

Flash, Java Patches Fix Critical Holes
... zero-day vulnerability in its Flash Player software. Separately, Oracle today released an update to plug more than two-dozen flaws in its Java ...