PB 8.0 and WinXPPro and installing PB 8.0 update

To all,

I have two questions:

First:

I have a new PC with WinXPPro.  I need to install PB 8 on it
(as the vendor application that we maintain uses PB 8
objects and from what I understand, you can not save PB 9
objects as PB 8 -- if this is incorrect please let me
know!), but according to the PB user manual, WinXP is not
listed as an operating system.  Has anyone successfully
installed PB 8.0 on a WinXPPro machine?  If so, were there
any gotchas?

Second:

The PB 8.0 disks I have are update disks and not the full
enterprise version.  I have the PB 6.5 full enterprise
version disks as that version was the one originally
installed on my old PC.  I had no problem installing PB 8.0
on the old PC because it was Win2K and I already had PB 6.5
installed and the PB 8.0 install detected it.

The issue here is that I have NO NEED to install the full
enterpise version of PB 6.5 on the new PC as I won't need it
anymore.  I was told that I would be "prompted" to enter the
PB 6.5 enterprise disks upon installation, but instead, it
told me I must *fully* install either PB 6.x or 7.x which I
don't want to do.

Has anyone run across this issue?  What did you end up
doing?

Thanks,
Eric V.
0
Eric
11/13/2003 3:55:54 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 14 followers. Follow

<Eric V.> wrote in message news:3fb3aad6.74da.1681692777@sybase.com...

> I have a new PC with WinXPPro.  I need to install PB 8 on it
> (as the vendor application that we maintain uses PB 8
> objects and from what I understand, you can not save PB 9
> objects as PB 8 -- if this is incorrect please let me

   Correct, AFAIK.

> know!), but according to the PB user manual, WinXP is not
> listed as an operating system.  Has anyone successfully
> installed PB 8.0 on a WinXPPro machine?  If so, were there
> any gotchas?

   PB8 is supported on XP starting from 8.0.03 service pack.

> The issue here is that I have NO NEED to install the full
> enterpise version of PB 6.5 on the new PC as I won't need it
> anymore.  I was told that I would be "prompted" to enter the
> PB 6.5 enterprise disks upon installation, but instead, it
> told me I must *fully* install either PB 6.x or 7.x which I
> don't want to do.
>
> Has anyone run across this issue?  What did you end up
> doing?

   I think the fastest approach is to install 6.5, then 8.0, then de-install
6.5.

Dmitri.

0
Dmitri
11/14/2003 8:22:52 AM
Thanks for your response.  That advice is consistent with
another I have received on a vendor listserv to which I
posted the same question.  I guess I'll to proceed with that
approach.  Thanks for letting me know about the XP support
on 8.0.3.

-Eric

> <Eric V.> wrote in message
>    I think the fastest approach is to install 6.5, then
> 8.0, then de-install 6.5.
>
> Dmitri.

0
Eric

PB 8.0.2 vs. PB 8.0.4
We are currently on PB 8.0.2 and are debating going to PB 8.0.4. Any recommendations? Have you looked at the fixes list associated with 8.0.3 and 8.0.4? Without knowing what your app does on a detailed level, it'd be hard for anyone to make a recommendation. Good luck, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On 19 Nov 2003 11:22:10 -0800, Brian Haake wrote: >We are currently on PB 8.0.2 and are debating going to PB >8.0.4. Any recommendations? Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's T...

Will PB 8.0.2 fix printing problems in 8.0 and 8.0.1?
Will PB 8.0.2 fix printing problems in 8.0 and 8.0.1? You might want to repost this over in the powerbuilder.general section and be a little more specific about the type of printing issues that you are looking for the fix for. On Fri, 24 May 2002 17:55:42 -0400, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.futures_discussion John <John> wrote: >Will PB 8.0.2 fix printing problems in 8.0 and 8.0.1? Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com http://www.needhim.org ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp ...

Updating from PB 8.0.1 to 8.0.2 Problem
After upgrading to PB 8.0.2 (9506) our application crashes in the SQLPREVIEW event. The problem occurs when we set the databoject (This.DataObject = ls_SearchDw) end then return. In PB 8.0.1 (9056) everything works fine. Do not use 8.02 it had many bugs. Download 8.0.3 and try that. regards ... Chris "M. Schr�der" <M._Schr0xL194zder> wrote in message news:4460D68A59111DCE0031CCC085256C5A.0031CCEA85256C5A@webforums... > After upgrading to PB 8.0.2 (9506) our application crashes in the > SQLPREVIEW event. > The problem occurs when we set the d...

PB 8.0.4 Maintenance Release
I am trying to upgrade my instance of PB 8.0.1 Enterprise to 8.0.4 using the maintenace release downloaded from Sybase. When it starts, however, it gives me a 'Severe' error message saying that I don't have PB 8.0 installed on my PC. Any ideas on what might cause this? Thanks, Jeff It seems your 8.0.1 got corrupted. Is PB running fine on 8.0.1? Did you change any run time dlls? are they all of same version? recommends installing a fresh copy of PB and then apply 8.0.4. <jeff.rabinek@cufund.colorado.edu> wrote in message news:3ffd9d88.5cda.846930886@syb...

PB 8.0.2 and Crystal Reports 8.0.1.0
Hi, Are there any examples(details) on how to call/open a Crystal report within an PB application? Thanks, Mahesh ...

PB crashes while migrating pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0
Hi, I am trying migrate a pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0. It crashes while rebuilding for migration. Is there anything needs to be taken care before the migrating it to pb 9.0 ? Thanks, Mohan Same as any other version: - backup - optimize all PBLs - run Migration Assistant in destination version; try to deal with as much as possible in original version - full build, with information and warning messages turned on, so you know which messages after migration aren't new - backup, backup, backup - migrate - if it crashes, try again and watch messages to see if you ca...

Install PB 10 update without needing to install PB 9 update, then PB 8 update....
We have a bunch of updates to PB. Is there a way we can install PB 10 without needing to install all the previous versions of PB? If all you have is an update version, then you'll need to have some previous version of PB installed. On 4 Mar 2005 05:54:11 -0800, "Daniel Coppersmith" <daniel_N.0.S.P.A.M_at_InFrontSoftware_D0T_C0M> wrote: >We have a bunch of updates to PB. Is there a way we can install PB 10 >without needing to install all the previous versions of PB? > > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com Vote for D...

Ghostscript 8.0 and PB 8.0
Hi All I am using Powerbuilder 8.0 with MS SQL Server 2000. I want to save my report in pdf format. So I am using ghostscript 8.0. I cam to know that saveas option is available with only pb 9.0 but I can print the report with postscript printer (with the help of ghostscript). Can abybody help me how I shud start with it. Thanks Purva I recently found a great product which I got to use free as part of a magazine promotion scheme. Visit their site : http://www.jawspdf.com/ Larry "Purva" <purva@suviinfo.com> wrote in message news:3f2f50e6@foru...

pb 6.5, pb 7.0, pb 8.0 and future releases
I have designed an app using PB 6.5.1 and feel quite confortable to write another app using this version of Power Buulder. I am aware that there have been many other releases after this but have heard many developers complain about not being stable and so forth. I can't say how true this is cause I never bothered to update to later releases. I recently got a contract for a new app and quite likely will be using Power Biulder but I am wondering if am cheating myself by not trying to upgrade myself to a later release of Power Biulder. Thanks. Charlie. Charlie You...

Migrate/Upgrade from PB 5.0.xx to PB 8.0/9.0
Hi, I am having the PB 5.0.xx Applications running on my pc at this moment. I have to Migrate/Upgrade them to PB 8/9. What is the best way to get this? Can any one give me some guidance on this? Thanks for your Help in Advance Regards Migrating: - Backup - Optimize in PB5 - Full Rebuild in PB5, with Information and Warning messages turned on - Backup, send it offside - Run Migration Assistant (File / New / Tools in PB8/9) - Fix the identified issues using PB5 <doublechecking> - Optimize in PB5 - Full Rebuild in PB5, with Information and Warning messages t...

PB 8.0.2 and Crystal Reports 8.0.1.0 #2
Hi, Are there any details available (examples) on how to call/open a Crystal report within an PB application? Thanks, Mahesh ...

PB GPFs while migrating an app from PB 5.0.2 to PB 8.0.1
Hi, I am trying to migrate an application from PB 5.0.02 to PB 8.0.01. The application runs perfectly under PB 5.0.02. While migrating the app, I get the following message: Pb80 has caused an error in PBVM80.DLL. Then PB crashes. Any suggestions? Moreover, does anyone know of some white paper with some advices on migrating apps? Thx Luca Before migrating, you should run the Migration Assistant (File / New / Tools). Make any suggested changes with PB5 before migrating. Of course, backup, backup, backup. Then, optimize all the PBLs and do a Full Rebuild (Library Pain...

PB 8.0.1 to 8.0.2
Don't bother. 8.0.2 is buggy, and 8.0.3 is available. M. Schr�der wrote in message ... ...

PB 5.0.04 upgrade to PB 8.0
Has anyone done an upgrade from PB 5 to 8? I'm about to attempt this and I was wondering if there is any information out there to help me with this. The applications that need to be migrated are using the PFC 5.0 and cornerstone 5.0. I don't think the Cornerstone 5.0 can be migrated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike Wallach mwalla@ca.ibm.com I upgraded and app from 5.0.04 to 8. We don't use the pfc though. One issue I found is that some of the editmask start acting weird. For example, if you use a datetime editmask that uses am/pm, once you tab off i...

Web resources about - PB 8.0 and WinXPPro and installing PB 8.0 update - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper