PB 6.0 timer and clicked event of dw causes crash

I have an application at work (PB 6.0, PFC 6.0, NT 3.51)
that extensively uses the PB 6.0 timer in the
home screen. We call the timer every 1 second to check a loop to see if
socket service is available (every 30 seconds) and if not resort back to

polling our database instead. As a result there is a lot of overhead
associated with the timer event.
When we do sucessive clicks the clicked event gets called
over and over again but then gets pre-empted by the timer event calls.
Intermittantly this causes a stack fault in the PB60.exe module and
always
in the same address.

Our application by my own admission is pretty complex so we decided to
try a
test case. We used the pfc Quick start application and simply put a for
I =1 to 30 next loop in the timer event. Then by repeatedly clicking in
an editable
datawindow we were able to cause the application to crash eventually.
This never occured in PB 5.0 with  PFC 5.0.

Here is a very easy way to recreate the problem (takes 2-3 minutes).

I am able to replicate this issue using the  QCKSTART.PBL that comes
with the PB 6.0 as a sample
application. If you would like to relicate as well, go the PBL and make
the following changes to w_qcksheet:

1) Declare instance var w_frame iw_frame
2) Add this the open event at the end of the script
    iw_frame = parentwindow()
    timer(1, This)
3) Add this code to the timer event
    integer i

   For i = 1 to 30
      iw_frame.SetMicroHelp(String(i))
   Next

As long as the timer is doing something, the application is likely to
blow up. The more the timer event tries to
do the more likely it is that the application will blow up sooner. Let
me know if you validate this as a PB 6.0
error. From my angle this is a pretty substantial bug.

- Kurt Gardiner
Jefferies Group, Inc.

0
Kurt

We have an even easier example of this. Open the w_fish example and
place a datawindow on it (we used d_items). Run the window and double
click in the datawindow. It will fail almost immediately. CHange the
window type from 'child (i think it is now) to a response and you can;t
get it to fail. This problem was discovered in 3 apps we have which use
timer events. PB has been called but the "don't have a clue". Great tch
support.
Appears to be timer and datawindow and window type specific...

--
EMail: jeb@fayettevillenc.com
Alternate: jbringolf@grci.com

Re: Pb 6.0 crashes when clicking in dw with no visible cols like PB 4.0 used to
I am using PB 6.0 with patch 6038532(1).zip. The patch still GPF's with the pbl library (testit.pbl) that was sent to Powersoft. This was to be fixed in patch 6038132.zip (build 381) but unfortunately, the problem still exists. I hope the problem is still evident on Powersoft's side? Thanks Marc marcwhitney@compuserve.com ...

PB 6.0 Crash when clicking in DW w/no visible cols like PB 4.0 used to.
I am using PB 6.0 Enterprise on WIN NT 4.0 SP3 INTEL. A Datawindow that is in query/sort mode where we turn the visibility on for a column and then off again and then click in the datawindow with no other columns visible closes PB Enterprise and closes our app, once deployed. This reminds me of crashes in PB4.0 datawindows with no rows! Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated TIA Marc marcwhitney@compuserve.com Marc Whitney wrote: > > I am using PB 6.0 Enterprise on WIN NT 4.0 SP3 INTEL. A Datawindow that is in > query/sort mode where we turn ...

Re: PB 6.0 Crash when clicking in DW w/no visible cols like PB 4.0 used to
In article <350A1EA6.55C8@powersoft.com>, sdupre@powersoft.com says... > >Marc Whitney wrote: >> >> I am using PB 6.0 Enterprise on WIN NT 4.0 SP3 INTEL. A Datawindow that is in >> query/sort mode where we turn the visibility on for a column and then off again >> and then click in the datawindow with no other columns visible closes PB >> Enterprise and closes our app, once deployed. This reminds me of crashes in >> PB4.0 datawindows with no rows! >> >> Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated >> ...

Return charater causes DW update error and PB crash (re-post from the pb.general group)
Hi All PB 10.0.1, MSSQLServer 2000 We've got a field (defined as Char) that takes standard input... included in this is the odd carriage return (though we've got triggers preventing saving of said bad character).. When this was running with PB 8, the save went through without issue... As soon as app was migrated to PB 10 (no change in back end with migration to 10), the save started blowing up (cannot insert NULL error, even though we can see the value in the insert/update statement... only weird part is that in both the error msg and a DB Trace, the return key...

PB 7.0 or PB 6.5 or PB 6.0 or PB5.04

ActiveX Control causes PB 6.0 to crash
I'm using a simple ActiveX Control to encrypt data (spDES from www.sp-soft.com). In VB 5.0 I have no problem and the control works great, but PB 6.0 seems to have problems. I place the control on a form, save the form, and then close it; no problem. However, when I try to run my app or re-open the form, PB give me the following error: The exception Integer division by zero. (0xc0000094) occured in the application at location 0x02b030b1 I havn't talked with the makers of the control yet, but we have no problem with it in VB or C++. Other controls that I'm using in PB...

DW Items in Debug PB 6.0.0
How does one view the attributes of the result table after doing a dw_1.Retrieve() when running Debug. I have tried to find the column values in local, global, instance, and so variables but am unable to find them in the variables list. I would like to be able to view the contents of each column_name in the result table sitting in dw_1. Can anyone please help? It seems that it should be very easy to find, but I must be sleepy or something. Thanks. --- I do not list an e-mail address because I do not want to receive spam. Thank you for posting your reply here so all may r...

DW Items in Debug PB 6.0.0
How does one view the attributes of the result table after doing a dw_1.Retrieve() when running Debug. I have tried to find the column values in local, global, instance, and so variables but am unable to find them in the variables list. I would like to be able to view the contents of each column_name in the result table sitting in dw_1. Can anyone please help? It seems that it should be very easy to find, but I must be sleepy or something. Thanks. --- I do not list an e-mail address because I do not want to receive spam. Thank you for posting your reply here so all may r...

Bugfixes for PB 6.0? Back from 6.0 to 5.0?
Hi there, since there are so many troubles with PB 6.0, does anyone know if there are any bugfixes for PB 6.0 out yet or even planned for the NEAR future? Is there a way to migrate back from PB 6.0 to PB 5.0.0x? Regards, * gerald * You sound pretty upset - if you don't mind me asking what are these troubles you are having? Gerald Znidaric wrote in message <34C86F5A.778A0197@mgm-edv.de>... >Hi there, > >since there are so many troubles with PB 6.0, does anyone know if there >are any bugfixes for PB 6.0 out yet or even planned for the NEAR future? ...

PB 4.0.03 & PB 6.0.0 issues
I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS READING PB PRODUCTS: 1. WE HAVE USED PB 4.0.03 ENTERPRISE FOR YEARS NOW, ARE THERE PATCHES FOR Y2K CONCERNS THAT WE CAN DOWNLOAD? 2. WE HAVE ALSO PB 6.0.0 PROFESSIONAL, AND ENCOUNTERED SOME ODBC 4.0 GLITCHES RELATING TO MS-ACCESS 97 ("... Program type out of range ..."), ARE THERE PATCHES ALSO FOR THESE CONCERNS AND Y2K ISSUES. I read a response pointing where to find the different patches. I did not see though any patches specific to PB 4.0.03 and PB 6.0.0. I would great...

PB crashes while migrating pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0
Hi, I am trying migrate a pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0. It crashes while rebuilding for migration. Is there anything needs to be taken care before the migrating it to pb 9.0 ? Thanks, Mohan Same as any other version: - backup - optimize all PBLs - run Migration Assistant in destination version; try to deal with as much as possible in original version - full build, with information and warning messages turned on, so you know which messages after migration aren't new - backup, backup, backup - migrate - if it crashes, try again and watch messages to see if you ca...

Web resources about - PB 6.0 timer and clicked event of dw causes crash - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Facebook turns off notifications users haven’t clicked in a while
Facebook has begun turning off notifications for groups and close friends that users were not interacting with, a company spokesperson tells ...

Dorkbot malware Skype link was clicked 1 million times
The shortened URL that was coupled with the Skype message “LOL, is this your new profile pic[?]” to spread malware was clicked over 480,000 times ...

Which Kickstarter projects have clicked with backers?
... projects have lived up to the hype. We hope to publish more articles like this one in the coming months. Which Kickstarter projects have clicked ...

"Where are the great tags that if clicked on would produce a store of raw material that would enable ...
I say, when asked "And how does Mrs Secord qualify as 'women in the military'?" Women in the military is a long-standing tag on this blog, and, ...

It Turns Out Facebook's Mobile Ads Are Clicked On Much More Than Its Web Ads
According to Tech Crunch , new numbers show Facebook mobile ads are even more effective than its web ads. This data was not available in the ...

We Clicked, We Spent: Cyber Monday Sizzled
We Clicked, We Spent: Cyber Monday Sizzled

I clicked fail on this one because Obama did not...
I clicked fail on this one because Obama did not deploy some dude in a costume to a Romney rally. I'm getting really over Buzzfeed's political ...

Photos Clicked In Texas Draw Target Into Gun Rights Fight
Swift reaction after some customers recently shopped at a Texas grocery store while carrying guns. Target is the latest business in the cross-hairs ...

Supercomputer clicked together from Legos and Raspberry Pi's
The $35 Raspberry Pi Linux mini system and a whole bunch of Legos get together to make a low-cost supercomputer.

Twitter plans to record all links clicked
In a move that could raise privacy concerns, the microblogging site said Wednesday evening that it will record and analyze every link users click ...