PB 5.0.4 Application can't migrate to PB 6.5

Hi,

I try to migrate the application from PB5.0.4 to PB6.5.  After migration,
some errors occurs.

Problem 1:
A window ( say w_abc)  which is inherited from another window (w_inherit).
After migration, it has following errors
    Object: w_abc
        Instance Variables
        (0002) Error      C0001: Illegal data type: istru_result

     istru_result - is a window structure in w_inherit window and it is used
in w_abc instance variables
    In w_abc window,
        Instance variables:
        istru_result istru_result1

Problem 2:
If a function which used string array (say abc[]) as pass by reference,
after migration, the following errors occurr
    C0052 Bad argument list for function: wf_insert()

Could you help me to solve the above problem?

--
Simon Chan
saiman@email.tech-trans.com

0
Simon
7/3/1999 2:55:15 AM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 16 followers. Follow

Here's what I have occasionally done that works: IN PB 5, comment out the
variable declarations and scripts that refer to them. Migrate to PB 6, and
in that version, un-comment the scripts and declarations, save your changes.
I suspect part of the problem is that during migration, classes that are
referenced yet not already migrated are not being recognized.

Simon Chan <saiman@email.tech-trans.com> wrote in message
[...]

Lu
7/3/1999 4:26:50 AM
Simon,
You've found two of the three main conversion issues from 5.x to a higher
release.
1. Local structures are now implicitly Private.  Meaning that you can't
define a local structure in an ancestor, and then declare a variable of that
structure type in the descendent.  The solution is either to redefine the
structure at the descendent level too, or make it a global structure
definition and use that instead.

2. Bounded vs. Unbounded arrays.  It's now illegal to pass a bounded array
as a reference argument to a function that is expecting an unbounded array.
PB 6.x and above see these as incompatible datatypes.
The solution is to always use unbounded arrays on both sides of the call.

The third one is passing an ancestor type as an argument to a function that
is expecting the descendent type.  This was allowed in 5.x, and doesn't make
the trip to 7.0.

Paul Horan
VCI
Springfield, MA

Simon Chan <saiman@email.tech-trans.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I try to migrate the application from PB5.0.4 to PB6.5.  After migration,
> some errors occurs.
>
> Problem 1:
> A window ( say w_abc)  which is inherited from another window (w_inherit).
> After migration, it has following errors
>     Object: w_abc
>         Instance Variables
>         (0002) Error      C0001: Illegal data type: istru_result
>

>      istru_result - is a window structure in w_inherit window and it is
used
> in w_abc instance variables
>     In w_abc window,
>         Instance variables:
>         istru_result istru_result1
>

> Problem 2:
> If a function which used string array (say abc[]) as pass by reference,
> after migration, the following errors occurr
>     C0052 Bad argument list for function: wf_insert()
>

> Could you help me to solve the above problem?
>
> --
> Simon Chan
> saiman@email.tech-trans.com

0
Paul

PB 6.5 Migrated from PB 5.0 Application deployment
I recently migrated a PFC/PFE application from PB 5.04 to 6.5. I have compiled it down to p-code and am able to run the application from both the developement environment & from the EXE on the machine that has PB 5.04 installed on it. When I move the application and the PB 6.5 deployment DLL's to a machine without PB 5.04 on it, it starts asking me for the whole set of PB 5.04 deplymnt DLL's. It's like there is some sort of dependance on PB 5.04 that I didn't break during the migration process. My OS is NT 4.0 SP4 and the application path includes the app/pbd'...

Why PB-9.0 can't be updated from PB 6.5?
Hi, Just wondering, PB-9.0 update require license CD of 7.X/8.X? This is b_coz we ordered pb-9.0 update and we have 6.5 installed in our company. Simply refuse to install from 6.5 Big height is Sybase sales person didn?t know this!!! MDesai The Upgrade normally applies to only the previous version or two. Where are you located? Sybase has just announced a special offer for people who have versions of PB prior to PB 7.x. I'm not sure if this offer is good world wide, but let me know where you are located and I'll see what we can do for you. Regards, Dave ...

Can the PB 6.5 or 6.5.1 maintenance release be ran on PB 6.0
Yes. ...

PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5 Migration
This sounds like a goofy question but I am migrating some PFC dependant applications from PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5 and was going to reset the library list to the new PB 6.5 PFC libraries, but I can't find them in 6.5. Where are they? Check to make sure you installed them. By default, unless you do a custom install, they aren't. (Don't ask me why, I think they should be deployed by default so everyone can start using them). If they were, then look under: C:\Program Files\Sybase\PB6\ADK\PFC On Thu, 6 May 1999 09:32:37 -0500, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder....

Migrating from PB 5.0.02 to PB 6.5...
Hello, The migration went pretty well, but I have an error and don't know where to look. Here it is: Object: ue_cie_ie Instance Variables (0031): Error C0176: Badly ordered TYPE and VARIABLE declarations. Is this modified exported source? Any ideas?? Thanks in Advance, Fred. (fred.goldbach@fiserv.com) What's on line 31 of the instance variables? Terry [TeamPS] and Sequel the techno-kitten On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:06:08 -0400, Fred Goldbach <fred.goldbach@fiserv.com> wrote: > The migration went pretty well, but I have an error and...

Can PB 5.0, 6.0, and 6.5 Coexist
I currently support a couple of PB5.0 applications and I am looking to upgrade them to PB 6 or 6.5. I read the 6.5 documentation that said you need to remove all previous versions of PB before installing. I would like to have 5.0 and 6.0 or 6.5 coexist so that I can still support the old application while I work the 6.5 to learn and study the upgrade. So, can they co-exist and what problems might I run into? Thanks , Doug I have PB5 16-bit, (5.03), PB5 32-bit (PB5.04), PB6.5 and PB7 on the same machine - They live in different worlds. Make sure you keep backups of code and main...

where I can find patch for PB 5.0 or PB 6.5
To enable me to work with PB 5.0 or 6.5 and Access 2000 I need to down load the patch. Kindly advice NNM softwarexpress.sybase.com. Only for 6.5 though (the 6.5.1 maintenance release). There's nothing that can be done for PB 5.x. On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 12:57:23 +0530, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.connectivity N N Mathur <uspl@mantraonline.com> wrote: >To enable me to work with PB 5.0 or 6.5 and Access 2000 I need to down load >the patch. >Kindly advice > >NNM > > --- Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@teamsybase.c...

Migration from PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5.1
Hi, Anybody have experience in migrating PB application from 5.0.04 to 6.5.1? Is it a easy stuff, or we need to modify a lot for the migration? For the installation of PB 6.5.1, do I need to install 6.0, then 6.5, and then 6.5.1, and then 6.5.1 EBF, or I can start in the mid-way? Is there any performance gain (or loss) for 6.5.1 vs 5.0? Thanks in advance ...Andrew 11Jan2000 The migration should be straightforward. Back up your PB 5.0.04 source, run the migration once and note the errors, warnings, etc... that are generated from the migration. Fix those in your backed ...

Problems migrating from PB 5.0.03 to PB 6.5
I am having problems running the my application after migrating it to PB 6.5. The application was migrated successfully. Then, I added all the new PFC objects and PBLs as per the guidelines provided by Sybase. The full rebuild was also successful except for a few warnings about instance variables of local structure type being implicit in the next release. However, when I start up the application and try to open any screen having datawindows, it crashes with Dr. Watson's error. Did anybody have a similar experience? Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. T...

Building exe after migration from PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5
I have copied all my librarries ans so on to a new folder. Then, after the migration have completed, I try to build an exe from my project. I get a list of info. and obsolete messages and accepts this. The build-proces continues but after writing all the objects I get an error: 'Error writing object information'. My question is: What is the meaning with this message?? jal@kmd.dk J�rn Aabel Luckow. ...

MS Word 97 embedded in PB 5.0 and PB 6.5 application
I am exploring the possibility of embedding the word interface in a Powerbuilder MDI application (versions 5.0 and 6.5) Users will use Word to edit and to view documents. Can this be done or can I only use Word by opening it external of a powerbuilder application? Yes, you can .in the window painter, controls box choose OLE ,then insert new tab, then word document. change its properties for the behaviour you like (linked,embedded) try it, and also read about ole embedding and linking (I think PB have it in the online books) to get more understanding. Amit Caryn Organic wrote:...

Migrating from PB 4.0 to PB 5.0
I am hving a hard time trying to convert from Powerbuilder v4.0 to v5.0. After I have migrated the entire application, i then try to open up a Window and keep getting the message "Open of Window failed. Application has been converted to newest version; window must be re-migrated". I then try to re-migrate the Window and re-open it and again the same message. Any ideas?? Does it definitely say 'remigrated' and not 'regenerated'? If the latter, then regenerating all objects should sort it. Mark Sanford wrote in message <01bd8e64$08e151e0$a4012682@s...

Migration From PB 5 to PB 6.5
Hello I am developing applicatons in PB from last three years, I am using PB 5.0.4 now I am planning to migrate on PB 6.5 or PB 7.00. Can anybody tell me what additional advantages I will get after switching from PB 5 to PB 6.5 or PB 7. I preffer I used PB 6.5 or PB 6.5.1 instead of PB 7 because I listen some users that PB 7 having some problems, Is it right? Thanks Haroon (Senior Programmer) Highnoon Laboratories Limited http://www.highnoon-labs.com You're in the wrong newsgroup. This one deals with Infomaker only. Use powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general. PB6...

Web resources about - PB 5.0.4 Application can't migrate to PB 6.5 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Would you give up chocolate for better application performance?
Application performance is critical to business performance according to 98 percent of businesses, yet 89 percent of executives say the poor ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 29% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 1.2 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

Digitimes Research: China touch panel makers increasing investments in niche products and large-size ...
The China International Touchscreen Exhibition (C-Touch) was recently held in Shenzhen, China, featuring a number of local and international ...