PB 11.5 application is lower than the same application on PB 9

Hi,

We have recently migrated our full source from PB 9 to PB 11.5. We
found that the program is running extremely slow. We noticed that it
happens mostly when using GUI. There are delays even when tabbing
though controls on the screen.

We run tracing on both environments, and most of the functions show
that the response time is better in PB 11.5, but the experience of
using PB11.5 application is very slow anyway.

Has anyone experienced the same?
0
chaau
8/20/2009 11:13:41 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 14 followers. Follow

On Aug 21, 9:13=A0am, chaau <andrew.chered...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry, typo in the title. Should be PB 11.5 application is slower than
the same application on PB 9
0
chaau
8/20/2009 11:16:02 PM
I've run into performance changes moving between all sorts of PB
versions. One case I ran into (6 or 7 to 9 or 10), I used the profiler
to see what had slowed down, and in my case it turned out to be the
processing of JPGs that had slowed down (I know they introduced bug
fixes to JPG processing in that time frame; maybe that explained it).
Since we had a kiosk-type system that was very graphically oriented,
we had to take a much more conservative approach to when we were
changing the graphics (we were setting *all* the JPGs every time the
screen changed instead of only the ones that needed changing). Other
people never noticed, because most apps aren't trying to refresh 50
JPGs on every action.

That's a long story to say that your performance degradation may not
be the same as someone else's, and it may end up being worth your
while to profile both the 9 and the 11.5 app to see where you're
getting nailed.

Good luck,

Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:13:41 -0700 (PDT), chaau
<andrew.cherednik@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We have recently migrated our full source from PB 9 to PB 11.5. We
>found that the program is running extremely slow. We noticed that it
>happens mostly when using GUI. There are delays even when tabbing
>though controls on the screen.
>
>We run tracing on both environments, and most of the functions show
>that the response time is better in PB 11.5, but the experience of
>using PB11.5 application is very slow anyway.
>
>Has anyone experienced the same?

*********************************
Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
http://www.freerice.com
*********************************
Newsgroup User Manual
=====================
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

PB Futures updated June 25/2008
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
8/21/2009 11:53:36 AM
On Aug 21, 9:53=A0pm, "Terry Voth [TeamSybase]" <seq...@techno-
kitten.com> wrote:
> I've run into performance changes moving between all sorts of PB
> versions. One case I ran into (6 or 7 to 9 or 10), I used the profiler
> to see what had slowed down, and in my case it turned out to be the
> processing of JPGs that had slowed down (I know they introduced bug
> fixes to JPG processing in that time frame; maybe that explained it).
> Since we had a kiosk-type system that was very graphically oriented,
> we had to take a much more conservative approach to when we were
> changing the graphics (we were setting *all* the JPGs every time the
> screen changed instead of only the ones that needed changing). Other
> people never noticed, because most apps aren't trying to refresh 50
> JPGs on every action.
>
> That's a long story to say that your performance degradation may not
> be the same as someone else's, and it may end up being worth your
> while to profile both the 9 and the 11.5 app to see where you're
> getting nailed.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:13:41 -0700 (PDT), chaau
>
> <andrew.chered...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
>
> >We have recently migrated our full source from PB 9 to PB 11.5. We
> >found that the program is running extremely slow. We noticed that it
> >happens mostly when using GUI. There are delays even when tabbing
> >though controls on the screen.
>
> >We run tracing on both environments, and most of the functions show
> >that the response time is better in PB 11.5, but the experience of
> >using PB11.5 application is very slow anyway.
>
> >Has anyone experienced the same?
>
> *********************************
> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungryhttp://www.freerice.com
> *********************************
> Newsgroup User Manual
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
> Forums =3D Peer-to-peer
> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
> Forums.Moderated =3D TRUE, so behave or be deleted
> *********************************
>
> Sequel's Sandbox:http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 4.0.4 now available at the Sandbox
> PB Futures updated June 25/2008
> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =3D*=3D

Thanks for the reply. No, we do not use many jpegs in our application.
The strange thing is that when we analyse trace files from PB9 and
PB11.5 all the functions seem to work faster. It is something PB hides
from us. The main delays are when working with GUI. Drawing
datawindows takes long time.

We have tried to remove XP style controls and contemporary menus, but
anyway no luck. Will try to download BP11.5.1 and test with it.

Regards,
Andrew
0
chaau

migration our applications from PB 5 to PB 9.
We would like to migrate our applications from PB 5 to PB 9. Is it possible to migrate from PB 5 to PB 9 at one time? Or do we have to migrate it through PB7 or 8? Thank for your help. E. J. Choi -- We're in the middle of migrating from PB 5 to PB 8. Tried migrating to PB 9 also. Both worked fine, so I don't think you need to go to PB 6.5 or 7 before to 9. We do need to do workaround in new bugs introduced in PB 8 and I think, still is in PB 9. Example is the use of the enable() and disable() functions. They don't work if the menu item is invisible. ...

PB Application to PB Application communication
I need to have 2 powerbuilder application be able to communicate with one another. A string is all I need to pass between the two applications. I tried creating a com object that I could connect to from both applications. This com object would basically store the information I want to pass between the two applications in an instance variable. One application would populate that instance variable, then notify the other application(through the send command) to go read the information in the com object. I created the com object fine and can call a function on the com object ...

PB crashes while migrating pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0
Hi, I am trying migrate a pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0. It crashes while rebuilding for migration. Is there anything needs to be taken care before the migrating it to pb 9.0 ? Thanks, Mohan Same as any other version: - backup - optimize all PBLs - run Migration Assistant in destination version; try to deal with as much as possible in original version - full build, with information and warning messages turned on, so you know which messages after migration aren't new - backup, backup, backup - migrate - if it crashes, try again and watch messages to see if you ca...

Application running slow after Migrating from PB 6.5 -> PB 9.0.2
Hi, We have migrated our application from PB 6.5 TO pb9.0.2. We have around 80 pbls. In PB 6.5 , application used to be fast. I mean EXE. In PB 9.0.2 , exe is running slow. We are not using PFC DATABASE is : Oracle 8.1.7.4.0 Any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Kavitha.M That's really not enough information to be helpful. You probably need to do some profiling of your application to determine what operations are taking too much time. Once you've narrowed it down somewhat we may be able to help. On 28 Feb 2005 22:54:22 -0800, Kavitha wro...

Pb 9 to Pb 11.5
I am testing the upgrade of my Pb 9 app to Pb 11.5 connecting to Sql Anywhere 11. The problem I am having is any datawindow that has a sql select with double quotes fails on the retrieve when running the app. These datawindows work fine in Pb9, but fail in Pb11.5. I have checked the pbodb files and they are identical for my database settings. When I remove the quotes from the select, the dw works fine. Anyone have any ideas? I do not want to remove quotes from all of my datawindows since there are hundreds of them. Thanks. Check the Quotes setting on the Syntax tab of your databa...

Undefined variable: gnv_app (PB & PFC application from PB 6 to PB 11.)
Hi All, Please tell how i can resolve below problem : I am trying to migrate PB & PFC application from PB 6 to PB 11. I am getting below error message, I tried so many combination to put pbls but still I am getting same error, even the object and all the pbls are present see below list pbl list : \pfeapsrv.pbl; \pfedwsrv.pbl; \pfemain.pbl; \pfeutil.pbl; \pfewnsrv.pbl; \pfcapsrv.pbl; \PFCDWSRV.PBL; \pfcmain.pbl; \pfcutil.pbl; \PFCWNSRV.PBL; \pfcapp.pbl; \pfcold.pbl; \pfebarcode.pbl; \pfertf.pbl; \pfetempl.pbl; ...

PB 6.5 Migrated from PB 5.0 Application deployment
I recently migrated a PFC/PFE application from PB 5.04 to 6.5. I have compiled it down to p-code and am able to run the application from both the developement environment & from the EXE on the machine that has PB 5.04 installed on it. When I move the application and the PB 6.5 deployment DLL's to a machine without PB 5.04 on it, it starts asking me for the whole set of PB 5.04 deplymnt DLL's. It's like there is some sort of dependance on PB 5.04 that I didn't break during the migration process. My OS is NT 4.0 SP4 and the application path includes the app/pbd'...

pb application deployment of application
ver 10.5 is there an easy way of finding which pb runtime files i need to deploy with my application to create an installation for a customer First of all, check out the PB runtime packager, and documentation in HTML books under application techniques, chapter 40. You can also use tools like process explorer (www.sysinternals.com - now Microsoft) that lists the active DLL's used by an application. Including tools like Dependency Walker (www.dependencywalker.com). (That even integrates with Process Explorer.) Regards Andr� P� Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:04:10 +0100, sk...

MS Word 97 embedded in PB 5.0 and PB 6.5 application
I am exploring the possibility of embedding the word interface in a Powerbuilder MDI application (versions 5.0 and 6.5) Users will use Word to edit and to view documents. Can this be done or can I only use Word by opening it external of a powerbuilder application? Yes, you can .in the window painter, controls box choose OLE ,then insert new tab, then word document. change its properties for the behaviour you like (linked,embedded) try it, and also read about ole embedding and linking (I think PB have it in the online books) to get more understanding. Amit Caryn Organic wrote:...

PB 10.5 to PB 11.5 and EAserver 5.5
What are the steps to migrate from PB 10.5 to PB 11.5? I migrated the source code. What do I need to do on the serverside - I assume regenerating the proxies. Anything else? Where is the correct place for the PBVMs? 10.5's are located in the shared folder. TIA, Kevin Deploy to the server and regenerate the proxies. You can do a pbvm-only install of 11.5. Alternatively, copying the pbvm's into the shared folder shoulod work, though. -- Regards, Millard[TeamSybase] "Kevin Berez" <kaberezNOSPAM@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:...

PB 5.0.4 Application can't migrate to PB 6.5
Hi, I try to migrate the application from PB5.0.4 to PB6.5. After migration, some errors occurs. Problem 1: A window ( say w_abc) which is inherited from another window (w_inherit). After migration, it has following errors Object: w_abc Instance Variables (0002) Error C0001: Illegal data type: istru_result istru_result - is a window structure in w_inherit window and it is used in w_abc instance variables In w_abc window, Instance variables: istru_result istru_result1 Problem 2: If a function which used string array ...

Calling internet enabled PB application from Client Server PB Application
Is it possible to call a internet enabled PB application from a Client-Server PB app? (Just like the way using RUN function to run another app from PB app) Thx, Mahesh This newsgroup is for discussing enhancement requests for future versions of PowerBuilder. You will get a much more relevant reponse if you post in one of the other newsgroups, for example: powersoft.public.powerbuilder.distributed or powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general <Mahesh> wrote in message news:E66A29615A1F68F4006837D685256BC8.006837E685256BC8@webforums... > Is it possible to call a internet...

Calling internet enabled PB application from Client Server PB Application
Is it possible to call a internet enabled PB application from a Client-Server PB app? (Just like the way using RUN function to run another app from PB app) Thx, Mahesh If I understand you correctly, you can add teh Microsoft Internet Explorer ole object to a window and have it browse to the site housing the PB appliation just like it would to any other site. See this technote for details on browsing automatically etc. http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=47945 - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com) www.planetdx.com ...

FIND does not work the same in PB 11.5 as in PB 9
My problem: In a datastore lds there are 3 rows. A column name is "sscode" - char(10) One of the rows has sscode = 'LARRY' (5 bytes) I have an input field captured into a string variable called ls_text. The captured value is ' LARRY' which has a leading space. (6 bytes) Run the following FIND scenarios: ll_find = lds.("LEFTTRIM(sscode)='" + ls_text + "'", 1, 3) ll_find = lds.("LEFTTRIM(sscode)='" + RIGHTTRIM(ls_text) + "'", 1, 3) ll_find = lds.("TRIM(sscode)='" + ls_text + "...

Web resources about - PB 11.5 application is lower than the same application on PB 9 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Apple patent application reveals exciting possibilities for twin-camera system rumored for iPhone 7
We heard a report in November that Apple was testing an iPhone 7 model with dual rear cameras , and a patent application published today not ...

Panasonic Develops a Stretchable Resin Film and Its Application Materials for Stretchable Electronics ...
A stretchable film is developed. This film stretches to 2.5 times the original length and then returns to the original form. A conductive paste ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased Over Two Week Period in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications ...
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased Over Two Week Period in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 27 percent from ...

Mortgage applications sink after rush

Toshiba expands ApP Lite processor family for wearable applications
Toshiba has announced the launch of TZ1201XBG, an application processor for wearable devices, as the latest addition to its ApP Lite family for ...