PB 10.5 and MS SQL Server

I'm trying to convert an 8.0 PB app to 10.5. I'm getting
errors because I don't have a MS SQL Server connection. It's
not listed as an installed DB interface like it was in 8.0.
How can I fox this?
0
Roger

> I'm trying to convert an 8.0 PB app to 10.5. I'm getting
> errors because I don't have a MS SQL Server connection.
> It's not listed as an installed DB interface like it was
> in 8.0. How can I fox this?

I do not believe that PB 10.5 supports or has any Microsoft
native drivers.  I think using an odbc connection is going
to be your best bet.

Mike
0
Mike
12/12/2006 9:29:41 PM
I thought the native MSS driver was removed from PB10. I checked
www.techno-kitten.com and, sure enough, it was removed with BP10.0.

Quote:
MSS and OR7 database interfaces
The Microsoft SQL Server database interface (MSS) is not provided with
PowerBuilder 10. The driver is based on DB-LIB functionality that is no
longer supported by Microsoft and is not Unicode enabled.The Oracle 7.3
database interface (O73) is not provided with PowerBuilder 10. The
driver is no longer supported by Oracle.

Have you tried OLE DB?

Roger wrote:
> I'm trying to convert an 8.0 PB app to 10.5. I'm getting
> errors because I don't have a MS SQL Server connection. It's
> not listed as an installed DB interface like it was in 8.0.
> How can I fox this?

0
Jason
12/12/2006 10:17:07 PM
If I use OLE DB, who is the provider?

> I thought the native MSS driver was removed from PB10. I
> checked www.techno-kitten.com and, sure enough, it was
> removed with BP10.0.
>
> Quote:
> MSS and OR7 database interfaces
> The Microsoft SQL Server database interface (MSS) is not
> provided with PowerBuilder 10. The driver is based on
> DB-LIB functionality that is no longer supported by
> Microsoft and is not Unicode enabled.The Oracle 7.3
> database interface (O73) is not provided with PowerBuilder
> 10. The driver is no longer supported by Oracle.
>

> Have you tried OLE DB?
>

> Roger wrote:
> > I'm trying to convert an 8.0 PB app to 10.5. I'm getting
> > errors because I don't have a MS SQL Server connection.
> > It's not listed as an installed DB interface like it was
> > in 8.0. How can I fox this?

0
Roger
12/12/2006 10:23:04 PM
Roger;

    MS Dropped the native driver in SS v7. When MS updated SS to the Unicode
v2000, they kept the old NTDBLib.dll (native) driver but never converted it
from ANSI. They still continued to ship the native driver though. For
SS2005, MS no longer ships the DLL and has been warning users that the old
ANSI native driver does not support any new SS functionality (since v 6.5).

    Sybase decided that they would drop PB's interface to the SS native
driver (PBMSSnn.dll) as PB 10.0 and higher was fully Unicode and MS was
planning to no longer ship their native driver anyway. So Sybase's decision
to drop the "MSS" driver interface was driven by MS's direction. MS's
information disseminated to their SS user base recommended that they move
towards OLE-DB or ADO.net (of course ODBC would still be supported).

    Upon dropping their native driver MS has since received allot of flack.
Especially for performance oriented applications. Even Dell's 2006 benchmark
on SS2005 failed the TPC benchmark - so Dell was given the old native driver
(NTDBLib.dll) and they converted it to Unicode. They re-ran the TPC
benchmark based on that driver. This was the only way SS2005 passed the
test!

    Because of SS2005's poor performance in large DB scenarios, MS has
re-released the native DB driver as a new variation called SNC (SQLServer
Native Client). This is basically a "fast path" mechanism through OLE-DB -
but ALLOT faster (in my tests) than any of the other current connectivity
options for the new SS. SNC was delivered in  SP1 for SS2005. Sybase has SNC
driver support in PB version 11 (currently in Beta). I have not seen this
option in PB 10.5.x yet - but hopefully, Sybase will release a supported SNC
driver in this series soon (fingers crossed *g*).

HTH

Regards ... Chris

<Roger> wrote in message news:457f16ab.7ed5.1681692777@sybase.com...
> I'm trying to convert an 8.0 PB app to 10.5. I'm getting
> errors because I don't have a MS SQL Server connection. It's
> not listed as an installed DB interface like it was in 8.0.
> How can I fox this?

0
Chris
12/13/2006 1:56:19 PM
It appears that most of the function (in one case more function) can be used
in the PB 10.5.1 release.  Namely, install SNCLI.MSI or SNCLI64.MSI on your
cleient machine.  Then choose SNCLI as the OLEDB provider.  You can then
turn on the new options (like MARS support) for both SQL2000 and SQL2005
databases using .udl or connection string options. You will still need to
add the "serverside cursor = NO" line to your pbodb105.ini file as described
in the 10.5.1 release letter.

My experience is that performance is good and stability is also improved
over the older MDAC base ole db provider.  I am not making any comment about
the quality or performance of the PB 11 client.  I would suggest that you
join the PB 11 beta group to perform your own evaluation.

0
Tyler