One PowerBuilder app triggering an event on another PowerBuilder app's Frame

Running 2 concurrent PowerBuilder apps (both MDI).  Is there a way to
trigger a user event on the frame of one of the apps from the other?  I can
get a handle to the frame window, and I am guessing that a Send() of some
kind would do the trick, but I don't know which parameters to use or where
the parameters for the Send() are documented.

Thanks for the help.

0
Enter

I recently had the same situation.  You can use send or post to send a message
to a window in another application.  First you need the handle of the window
you are sending the message to.  Since it is in another application I had to
use an API call to get the handle.  I used the FindWindow windows API call to
get the handle.  You must use the title on the title bar of the window to get
its handle.

Once you have the handle, you can send a message to it.  It is documented in
help and online books.  The syntax is: Send ( handle, message#, lowword, long
).  The handle is the handle of the window you are sending to.  Message# is the
the message # of an event on the window.  I created an user event on the window
and used pbm_custom01 as its ID.  The message # for this is 1024. pbm_custom02
would be 1025.  If you send a message to this event, it will fire the event.
The other parameters can be used to send some kind of information.  I used the
Long to send a handle of the sending window in order be able to send a message
back.

I hope this helps.

Enter your name here wrote:

> Running 2 concurrent PowerBuilder apps (both MDI).  Is there a way to
> trigger a user event on the frame of one of the apps from the other?  I can
> get a handle to the frame window, and I am guessing that a Send() of some
> kind would do the trick, but I don't know which parameters to use or where
> the parameters for the Send() are documented.
>
> Thanks for the help.

0
Richard
11/1/1998 2:11:08 AM
You can also use DDE which you may find to be simpler to understand.

--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dynamic Data Solutions http://www.dyn-data.com

Enter your name here wrote in message ...
>Running 2 concurrent PowerBuilder apps (both MDI).  Is there a way to
>trigger a user event on the frame of one of the apps from the other?  I can
>get a handle to the frame window, and I am guessing that a Send() of some
>kind would do the trick, but I don't know which parameters to use or where
>the parameters for the Send() are documented.
>
>Thanks for the help.

0
Jim
11/1/1998 2:34:30 AM
On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 22:46:50 -0500,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general <jhusdale@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>Running 2 concurrent PowerBuilder apps (both MDI).  Is there a way to
>trigger a user event on the frame of one of the apps from the other?  I can
>get a handle to the frame window, and I am guessing that a Send() of some
>kind would do the trick, but I don't know which parameters to use or where
>the parameters for the Send() are documented.
>
>Thanks for the help.

Yes. For messages where you want to pass numeric data only, use one of the
pbm_customXX events -- WM_USER (1024) + 0-74. For string data, you need to use
pbm_settext so Windows allows the string data to be allocated across process
boundaries. Send takes 2 parameters: wparam and lparam basically. lparam can be
string data, but then you have to use pbm_settext if you're sending to another
application.

HTH,
-Dan
0
Dan

Using a PowerBuilder app to drive another Windows app
My users need to run a canned Windows application repeatedly with a variety of parameters on a variety of datasets. In order to do this, they have to log in, choose a menu item, key in some parameters, click an OK button and exit. And then do it again and again and . . . We want to set up a database with the appropriate parameters and write an application to drive the process. We've considered Winbatch but would rather not introduce another development tool . . . if it's not too hard to accomplish the task in PowerBuilder. This has to run in a Windows 95 or NT Workstatio...

Powerbuilder based 'trial' and 'copy protection' for a PB app.
Hello all, Has anyone written a Powerbuilder based control or library for copy protecting and licensing a Powerbuilder application ? I would like to offer customers a 30 day free trial and then be able to provide them an unlock license key to license the software on a particular computer. I have found the commercial solutions to be complicated and cumbersome and expensive expensive. you should post this question over in the commercial-isv.general newsgroup "Dave P" wrote in message news:4c22200b.7a89.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hello all, > > Has anyone...

What's Involved in Embedding Ianywhere in PowerBUilder App
I have a PowerBuilder PFC app designed working with ASA Version 9 and would like to find out what it takes to get it to work with an Embedded ASA database. Is this mostly handled in the connect screen? Where can I find the details on this? I assume by embedded you mean you want to use the authenticated version that comes with PowerBuilder. You would deploy the application along with the runtime files required by the authenticate version of ASA that you are using. The authenticated version will only accept connections from certain application, which in this case woud be yo...

Viewing 'documents' in a powerbuilder 11 app.
Hello. I have created a small document management system using Powerbuilder 11. It allows users to select and store any type of file and stores the data in an ASA10 database. I would like to add a preview function so that if a user selects a file from their file system... say a .DOC, .XLS , Visio, .JPG, .TXT etc... or any other type of file that they have an appropriate application for, a small 'preview' window lets them look at the document without actually opening the application that created it. If they dont have the appropriate software on their computer, then a prev...

Multilanguage app using 'Enable' for powerbuilder ?
Hello. I am wondering if anyone out there has experience using Enable for powerbuilder to build multi-language apps ? Thanks. On Nov 13, 4:43 pm, dave wrote: > Hello. > > I am wondering if anyone out there has experience using > Enable for powerbuilder to build multi-language apps ? > > Thanks. Hello, we are using enable for more than one year now and we are very satisfied with the product. Before using enable we used the powerbuilder translation toolkit, but the tool from sybase was very unhandy for us. With enable we have less work translating an ap...

Using a Powerbuilder system event to trigger another event.
Hello, I am using PB 7.0.3 and would like to run an executable outside of PB when a developer performs a rebuild or creates an executable. Is there a system event in PB that I could use to trigger the executable or any other way to do this automatically? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Matt You can't rewrite PB sin ce you don't have the source code. PB8 has command line options to build executables, etc. Here's a clip from online help "What's new in PB8": This example opens the workspace called CDShop, builds and deploys the tar...

Does anyone know how to create the same user interface as IE 4.0 on Powerbuilder's App.
Hi I would like to know is this possible to add an navigation frame within the PB's MDI Frame. (When you open IE4.0, and press the search, history, channel buttons. You will see a navigation frame on the left side or Microsoft OUTLOOK.) Any help would be very appreciated. TY Look at the splitters in PB6 code examples.... ...

Accessing PowerBuilder from another app
I have a windows application (Oracle forms 4) from which I would like to link to a PowerBuilder app, get to a certain screen, and pass certain data through as arguments. The bit which I need help with is the linking to PB and passing data. Could anyone point me in the right direction? How do I call specific windows? Thanks, Tracy Nick, You can use Windows messages for that. You need to map a user event on the target PB window to an event in the range of pbm_custom01 to pbm_custom75. These events have 2 fixed parameters, wparam (ulong) and lparam (long) which you can use...

Any issues with App's deployed with PowerBuilder 9.0.1(Build 6533) in Windows Server 2003.
Since PowerBuilder(9.0.1 Build 6533) provides limited support with Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system, we want to know if there are any known problems before deploying our PB apps in the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system. Any info is really appreciated. Thanks. ...

Deploying PowerBuilder client/server app as .NET Web app
Hi when I deploy Client/Server(stand alone) PowerBuilder application as .NET Web application I get below output. Not even getting any error messages. --Deploy--- Checking IIS Server... Generating .NET assembly file... Deploy failed. Have deployed provided Tutorial application as Web application. It has successfully created and deployed as shown below. ---------- Deploy: Deploy of p_pbtutor_webform2 (1:50:39 PM) Checking IIS server... Generating .NET assembly file... Generating PBD files... Copying to IIS server... Deploy succeeded. ---------- Finished Deploy of p_pbt...

call a second instance ofa powerbuilder app from within first app
Hi , I want to open a second powerbuilder application from within my application (I am in NVO) and get a handle for it so that I can open a window. Then close the first app. Can I simply use a run command.... Thanks, Alon Baadani You won't be able to just execute an Open() against another instance of an app. You might want to look at making your app DDE aware, then sending your second instance a DDE command that will tell it to open the window itself. Good luck, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On 19 Aug 2005 13:31:33 -0700, in sybase.public.powerbui...

Marionette cannot see an app when it's launched via another app.?
Hi all, I'm getting nowhere with this. Using python + marionette, I launch the "Contacts" app on my device -> click a contact -> in the view details screen I then click the 'sms' button. The "Messaging" app starts automatically and lands me in a screen to compose a new message to my contact (as expected). However, Marionette still thinks I'm in the 'view contacts' screen (if I dump the current html at this point, that's the screen I get) so I can't make it type a message etc... How to I make it follow the device to the message s...

Using PowerBuilder's or Infomaker's Query Painter in my applicatoin
I am at the point in my application where I would like to allow my users to create customized queries, and possibly reports. I have figured out how to use syntaxfromsql to convert sql to the special datawindow code, and this works find for me. But some of my users arn't as gifted in the sql department. So now I wish I had a nice GUI query builder. My question is; Is the query painter, and maybe even the datawindow painter accessable from Powerbuilder script kind of like an activeX? Or an object that I can drop into a window. I think I am to the point that I could recreate th...

Using CITRIX with PowerBuilder's Timer event...
I am currently developing an application using PB7 which will be deployed on a Windows 2000/Citrix server and will connect to an Oracle 8 database. In my application, I need to have one or two Timer events that will do a retrieve from the database at certain intervals, for example. The PB documentation includes the following little disclaimer "Microsoft Windows 3.x supports up to 16 concurrent timers in the system". Our Citrix server will be running Windows 2000, and I will have up to 150 or so instances of my application running concurrently. Will I run into problems...

Web resources about - One PowerBuilder app triggering an event on another PowerBuilder app's Frame - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles