odbc connection

I am after a way in PB to automatically create a ODBC datasource connection
??  Can someone point me in the right direction.

John Pallister
Network Logic
ph: 9687-8800, <mailto:johnp@netlogic.com.au>

John

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:22:43 +1100, "John Pallister"
<johnp@networklogic.com.au> wrote:

>I am after a way in PB to automatically create a ODBC datasource connection
>??  Can someone point me in the right direction.

You will need to have the database specific driver installed, but once
that's there you can modify the registry

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\your_dsn_name]

Here is a sample

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\ASA 7.0 Sample]
"Driver"="C:\\Program Files\\Sybase\\SQL Anywhere
7\\win32\\dbodbc7.dll"
"Description"="Adaptive Server Anywhere Sample Database"
"UID"="dba"
"PWD"="sql"
"DatabaseFile"="C:\\Program Files\\Sybase\\SQL Anywhere 7\\asademo.db"
"Start"="C:\\Program Files\\Sybase\\SQL Anywhere 7\\win32\\dbeng7.exe
-c 8m"
"AutoStop"="yes"

  Boris Gasin [TeamSybase]
  mailto:bgasin@dynamictechgroup.com
    ___
  ____   _
 _____    _
  ____   _
    ___

  Dynamic Technology Group, Inc.
  http://www.dynamictechgroup.com/
0
Boris
1/24/2002 4:48:29 AM
You can use a DSN-less connection, so you don't need a DSN definition,
just the drivers installed.  Check google.com and search on "dsnless"
and you should find a few articles on how to do this.

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:22:43 +1100, "John Pallister"
<johnp@networklogic.com.au> wrote:

>I am after a way in PB to automatically create a ODBC datasource connection
>??  Can someone point me in the right direction.

>John Pallister
>Network Logic
>ph: 9687-8800, <mailto:johnp@netlogic.com.au>

joneil

ODBC Connections with PowerBuilder
This is actually a follow up to my previous "PB5.0 Connection to Watcom DB." We upgraded the PB libraries to 5.0.04 and were able to solve the "The allocation of the connection handle failed" problem. However, the "The command extension block could not be allocated" still happens when: 1) Start a PB application with an ODBC connection and leave it running. 2) Start and end a second PB application with an ODBC connection. 3) Repeat step 2 24 times. 4) When the second app is started the 25th time we get the "The command extension block could not ...

Powerbuilder
Can any one help with creating a connection to providex(Mas 90) database from Powerbuilder. I set up the profile using the Mas 90 data source , I am able to connect but get powerbuilder message saying it cannot create Catalog tables. I can only then see one table. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

OpenIngres-ODBC-Powerbuilder Connectivity
Hi, Can somebody help me with using Powerbuilder5/6 on win95 with OpenIngres 1.1 on VAX/VMS. The relevant details are as follows : I. Hardware & Software involved: --------------------------------- 1. VAX 4105 as the database server with VMS 5.5-2 2. Intel Pentium MMX 200 based PC (Digital 3100) with Microsoft Windows 95 ver 4.00.1111 3. Network protocol - TCP/IP on client as well as the server 4. OpenIngres 1.1 5. Powerbuilder 6.0/5.x 6. Intersolv ODBC drive for OpenIngres ver 3.00 7. OpenIngres/Net ver 1.2 on Windows 95 (includes Visual DBA) II. Activities carried...

Powerbuilder ODBC Connection Details
One of our customers has asked me to supply a detailed description of how our application connects with their database. Powerbuilder provides such easy database connectivity that, well, I've never really thought about the nuts and bolts of connecting. When "SQLCA.DBMS= ODBC" and an ODBC DSN is specified, what files, etc., does the pb runtime expect to read? Any other details are appreciated. Thanks, Doug 1) The ODBC system files. This is so deeped rooted into the the Windows OS that I cannot list the specific files. The ODBC system files are included in ...

SQL Server and PowerBuilder ODBC connectivity
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub4b2b552c Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi I am connecting to a remote SQL Server Database thru PB and when the connection to the application fails to connect, it throws the following error (see attached file). Can we prevent this message from comming and simply trap it thru the SQLCA object? TIA Sam ---=_forums-1-dub4b2b552c Content-Type: image/pjpeg; name="SQLServer.JPG" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; ...

Connecting to Access from Powerbuilder via ODBC
I am unable to connect to my Access 97 database from Powerbuilder 6.5 build 444. The error I'm getting is: SQLSTATE = S1003 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manger] Program type out of range Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Vincent Vu vuv@gte.net I have the same problem to connect MS Access 2000 by using PowerBuilder 6.5. Do you have any solution to help me? if you have any solution please send e-mail to me. Thanks, E-mail: thomas_chow@wkk.com.hk ...

ODBC for PowerBuilder connecting to Oracle 8
I've got a legacy PB4 application on Win 95 and 3x clients that I haven't been able to get to connect to an Oracle 8.0.5 database on Windows NT. PB4 isn't working properly with SQL*Net 2.3.3, the client that comes on the Oracle 8 CD. Would it be easier to use ODBC to connect than SQL*Net? Please advise. Most PB4 apps are 16 bit, and I'm guessing that the SQL*NET you have installed on that machine is 32 bit. You either need to (a) use a 32 bit version of SQL*NET or (b) install the 16 bit version of SQL*NET. (I would recommend the former of the two). Also, you need t...

Connect to Access with Powerbuilder via ODBC
I'm unable to connect to my Access 97 database using Powerbuilder 6.5 build 444. The error I'm getting is: SQLSTATE: S1003 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manger]Program type out of range. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Vincent vuv@gte.net ...

Powerbuilder and ODBC connection to Progress database
We are trying to connect an application to a Progress database. Our application is written in PB 5.04. We have version 8.3E of Progress and would like to establish an ODBC connection to our application. We are able to connect to Progress but not in Powerbuilder or through our application. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Carol Burrows DBC SMARTSoftware, Inc carol_burrows@dbcsmartsoftware.com When you cannot connect, what error do you get? Can you connect outside of PowerBuilder via ODBC using MS Query or some other tool. The newer versions of ODBC Administrat...

Client Connections and PowerBuilder connections
What do I need to do to my NT box to be able to run a browser from a client machine to run the demo database/tutorial? I am able to run the demo from the NT server itself, but would like to test client connectivity. My client has browser capability. Furthermore, I am anticipating on using Jaguar as a middle tier for accepting communications from PowerBuilder. Jaguar would then take the SQL and pass the information onto a SYBASE SQL Server. I am not even concerned with any of the business logic that may be involved but am more interested in getting Jaguar to be a middle tier while...

How PowerBuilder to connect to Microsoft Excel via ODBC?
Hi all I'm a newbie for PowerBuilder. I have some question. How PowerBuilder to connect to Microsoft Excel via ODBC? How can I use sql command (select, insert, etc) to Excel sheet? TIA >I'm a newbie for PowerBuilder. I have some question. >How PowerBuilder to connect to Microsoft Excel via ODBC? >How can I use sql command (select, insert, etc) to Excel sheet? >TIA It's been a while, but you need to install the odbc excel driver and then configure a datasource just like any other odbc datasource. You might check the faxback documents on the sybase web s...

Connection from PowerBuilder connects to Internet
We have a client who has experienced a problem I've seen posted on this forum but can't find now. When they connect with our application to SQLAnywhere, they're getting their connect to AOL dialog. They can cancel out and everything works. I remember that it's a problem with their version of the winsock.dll, but I don't remember the recommended solution. Thanks for you help, James Clanton >When they connect with our application to SQLAnywhere, they're getting their >connect to AOL dialog. They can cancel out and everything works. I >rem...

ORACLE procedures, PowerBuilder and connection via ODBC
Hi! My problem is: I have a procedure on ORACLE database: create procedure (as_name IN VARCHAR2, al_id IN OUT INTEGER); begin .... end; and I am connecting to ORACLE via ODBC. How can I execute such a procedure from Powerbuilder. I have tried to do this in all possible manners described in the documentation (RPCFUN, Declare, PBDBMS), but I have failed. There is always an error from database. I have succeded to execute this procedure when I was connecting via Native Driver, but I cannot use Nat...

Hung Up connecting to ASA7 ODBC from PowerBuilder 6.5
I am still having a peculiar problem on one particular machine (that was working) where a PowerBuilder 6.5 application hangs when attempting to connect to an ODBC ASA7 local database. It is hung on the Connect statement and no Error Log is generated. This application was working fine previously on this machine (all that happened is the user moved from one WG to another and Back) all other TCP services seem to work. I can connect to the database from the Test in the ODBC administration. The application can be found in the Tasks list as not responding. Help!!! Glenn ...

Powerbuilder connection to MS Access using ODBC on XP
My Powerbuilder app currently connects correctly to an MS Access db to import data using ODBC on an NT platform. We are upgrading to XP and the connection fails. I get this error message : "DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current installation" I think that it may need a .dll for XP in order to connect. Any help would be great. Thanks ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp It sounds like your ODBC drivers aren't registered with XP. Try doing the PB runtime installation again and make sure you setup th...

Web resources about - odbc connection - sybase.powerbuilder.general

The Direct Connection

Is There A Connection Between Patrick Murphy's Over-The-Top Corruption And His Campaign Emails?
The DCCC may be stupid or even very stupid (as well as utterly incompetent) but their e-mail strategy is very well-planned out. Their overarching ...

Cross-cultural Connections and Exchange: international study is more important than ever
... And, as a minority of ill-intentioned individuals and groups do their best to create divides, we need citizens equipped to create connections ...

Mali arrests 2 in connection with deadly hotel attack
Mali arrests 2 in connection with deadly hotel attack