new line character

Is there a way to insert a "new line/carriage control" in a varchar column?
 <Ctrl><Enter> keys work with a text column but just tabs to next control
on a varchar column. Tried ~r~n but that just stores/prints the text ~r~n.

Seems that <ctrl><enter> used to work in the app.

PB 7.02 9028
0
Mike
2/27/2001 12:54:36 AM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 16 followers. Follow

You can use char(10) + char(13) to get the cr/lf

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post.

<Mike> wrote in message
> Is there a way to insert a "new line/carriage control" in a varchar
column?
>  <Ctrl><Enter> keys work with a text column but just tabs to next control
> on a varchar column. Tried ~r~n but that just stores/prints the text ~r~n.
>
> Seems that <ctrl><enter> used to work in the app.
>
> PB 7.02 9028

0
Terry
2/27/2001 4:24:13 PM
Actually, I think char (13) + char (10) will get you CR/LF.

Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the nit-picking techno-kitten

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:24:13 -0700, "Terry Dykstra"
<dontreply_tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca> wrote:

>You can use char(10) + char(13) to get the cr/lf

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit,
winner of PowerTimes 1999 "Little Helper of the Year"
0
Terry
2/27/2001 9:39:15 PM
picky picky <g>

--

"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
> Actually, I think char (13) + char (10) will get you CR/LF.
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the nit-picking techno-kitten
>
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:24:13 -0700, "Terry Dykstra"
> <dontreply_tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> >You can use char(10) + char(13) to get the cr/lf
>

> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit,
> winner of PowerTimes 1999 "Little Helper of the Year"

0
Terry
2/27/2001 9:55:57 PM
Yeah, but how can the user enter that into the control. For example if they
enter "My address is 123 Main Street~r~nCityname"
it prints the ~r~n(or char(10)+char(13) instead of a line feed.
It just stores that as text.

Thanks for your help...
0
Mike_M
2/28/2001 4:55:19 PM
Are you using a dw? Otherwise you could choose a mle.
Why do you want to store street, streetno and city in one varchar()?

Uwe

Mike_M wrote:

> Yeah, but how can the user enter that into the control. For example if they
> enter "My address is 123 Main Street~r~nCityname"
> it prints the ~r~n(or char(10)+char(13) instead of a line feed.
> It just stores that as text.
>
> Thanks for your help...

0
Uwe

How to force a new line to keep one line only have 10 characters?
For example, user may input text as below: AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCC But to make it as: AAAAAAAAAA BBBBBBBBBB CCCCCCCCCC string wholeLine = "AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCC";List<string> lines = new List<string>();while ( wholeline.Length > 0){    if (wholeline.length >= 10)    {        lines.Add( wholeline.Substring(0, 10);        wholeline = wholeline.Substring (10);    }    else    {       &nb...

New Line Character
i using mysql connect to database and found data like "abcde fgh" how to convert this string from two line into one line? and result become "abcdefgh"  hello friend, suppose your string is called myString= "abcde fgh" and then use myString.Replace(System.Enviornment.NewLine,"") hope it helps, Jessica  Jessica CaoSincerely,Microsoft Online Community Support“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other comm...

New line character
I am writing code (VS2008/C#) that reads text file and passes the file data to SQL Server Procedure. I am reading data of file in StreamReader and passing as Input Parameter to procedure. I need to pass the New Line character also to the procedure. 1. The New Line character can be chr(13) & chr(10) or only chr(10). How to check this in C#?2. How to pass New Line character to SQL Procedure? Thanks    Try using Environment.NewLine Hanan Schwartzberg--------------------http://www.lionsden.co.il Environment.NewLine returns the new line defined in the environment. I nee...

how to skip new line character
------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C49666.30D23690 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi All As a beginner in PERL, I wrote a small program which reads data from the = file and stores in an array. In that process i wanted to skip the new = line character... for ex: In my program say "a.txt" contains man pan tan In the program open INPUT,"a.txt" or die $!; my @file =3D <INPUT>; when I print the file, I could see $file[2] and $file[4] has only new = line character... So while...

new line character in the validation
Hi, I have a radiobuttonlist repeatdirection horizontally, and I have a requirefieldvalitor against this field with *. However, when the user miss the field and a red * is outputed, but it goes to the next line. I want them to be on the same line. How can I do that? Thanks. post some code? There may not be enough space on the line for it to go there so it automatically goes to the next line Actually there are still a lot of space on the line. here's the code.  <asp:RadioButtonList ID="GenderSelect" runat="server" RepeatDirection="Horizontal" ...

New Line Character(s)
Greetings. I've got some Perl code that's inserting data into a MySQL, which is later being read & displayed by MS Access. I'm constructing a note, and I'm using: \n for new lines - to break up paragraphs. However, in Access, these \n characters appear as little boxes instead of new lines. What should I use to get Access to display a new line? -- Daniel Kasak IT Developer NUS Consulting Group Level 5, 77 Pacific Highway North Sydney, NSW, Australia 2060 T: (+61) 2 9922-7676 / F: (+61) 2 9922 7989 email: dkasak@nusconsulting.com.au website: http:...

New Line character in a String
I want to create a string which contains a new line character. In Powerbuilder, I would use '~n' but what do I use within a stored procedure in ASE 12.0? I'm trying to create a mulit-line error message that is passed back from the stored procedure to the Powerbuilder front-end. select @message = 'Line1~n Line 2 ~n Line 3" should display like this: Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 Thanks! select @message = "Line 1" + char(10) + "Line 2" + char(10) + "Line 3" select @message RM wrote: > I want to create a string which co...

Crossplatform new line character
I need to split a caption of a TCheckBox in two lines at a specific place. So, I set CheckBox1.WordWrap to True, adjust its height and sofar OK, if the text is long enough, it wraps to a second line. Q1: I can't figure out how to enter a carriage return, line feed or both in the object inspector. Is it possible? A workaround is to define a string const: const CR = #$0D; cbCaption = 'The text that needs to' + CR + 'wrap around'; and then in the forms OnCreate assign it to CheckBox1.Caption I also tested with LF = #$0A and CRLF = CR + LF, and on Windows al...

New line character in XML
HI Friends, I am in a deep trouble. If u help me in this issue, it will be greatful. Requirement is as below. I am having a grid which will be bind to a datatable. i will have to show tooltips on the column headers of this gridview. I have an XML file which contains the content for these tooltips. i have written a method which takes a string as a parameter, which is the column name of the gridview. Based on this string that we have passed, the method will pick the content for the tooltip from the XML file and display. But i have a problem here. Here the content of the tooltip can ...

ASCII import
I am importing ascii text files to tables in an whatcom 4 db. For some big text fields i need to put a "newline" character in order to get a new line in i.e varchar fileds. I have tried � ~n with no success. any postings will be appreciated. Per H. Kleppe Try using \n. Watcom/SQL Anywhere reads the C special print characters, sometimes when you don't want it to. -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dealer Solutions, LLC Houston, TX This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BCD822.8928C750 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso...

add a new line character in label
How do i add a new line character in a label content? I tried system.environment.newline and it doesn't work. "<br/>"LolliDon't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. Hi, try this  lbl1.Text = lbl1.Text+ "<br />" Public Shared Function BrakeRow(ByVal _count As Integer) As LiteralControl Dim tmp As String = "" Dim i As Integer For i = 0 To _count ...

new line is changed in space character
Hallo, when I submit the data of a multiline textarea the new line is changed into a space character. If the user write: A B C The text will be displayed as: A B C I am using a datalist with parameter stored procedure, Access 2003 DB. Do you have a solution? Thanks   before you send in the data you can do something like : txtstmtbdy1.text.replace(environment.newline,"<br>")  to preserve the newline's.***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.***********************...

New line character in email notifications
Quick question...... How do you insert a new line in an email sent by Identity Manager? I am sending an email with user information and would like to have the info on separate lines, instead of separated by comas. I think I have seen this answer before somewhere on the Novell site, but I cant find it now. Anyone know? Thanks for any response, Jordan http://tinyurl.com/s3oey -- Father Ramon jcocke1@dot.state.tx.us wrote: > Quick question...... How do you insert a new line in an email sent by > Identity Manager? I am sending an email with user information and...

C-style new line characters
v10.01 I updated a table in ISQL and in my app along the lines of UPDATE "people" SET "col"='abc\nmo' etc then "select cast(col as binary) etc" gives [97, 98, 99, 10, 109, 111] - i.e. the \n was changed to new line character While UPDATE "people" SET "col"='abc\nmo\t12\r34' ...; gives abc mo\t12\r34 The tab and carriage return are not interprted C-style; just the \n. So why is the \n? When did this happen? Why does this happen? Can I turn this behaviour off ? Yes I can escape it with another \ but t...

Web resources about - new line character - sybase.powerbuilder.general

List of Killzone characters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cpl. Dante Garza is a loyal, optimistic and likable character- an effective team player. A close companion of Sev, the pair have served together ...

Serial takes the stand: How a podcast became a character in its own narrative
The trial of the century is becoming more like a hearing very particular to these times.

Twitter has more than 140 characters worth of woes
Microblogging service's latest results disappoint investors again especially its shrinking active user count

What the names of God tell us about his character
The names of God point to the different facets of his character, and teach us about the One we worship.

Two Classic Deadpool Characters That Were Cut From The Script, And Why
... Miller’s Deadpool is a film that stays very close to the tone and look of its source material, and includes many of the great supporting characters ...

Deceased The Walking Dead Characters Reunite
... Weekly 's special coverage of The Walking Dead 's midseason premiere, which airs this Sunday, they've round up 11 actors that had their characters ...

Film Producer Tweets Actual Descriptions of Female Characters in Movies
... Ross Putman is a star today thanks to the birth of his Twitter account @femscriptintros , where one can find descriptions of female characters ...

Maxwell: How important is character when Danny is looking to add a player?
... Search form Search 10° Main menu Home Celtics Patriots Red Sox Bruins Revolution More WRITERS Watch Shop NECN Maxwell: How important is character ...

Industry Icon Stephen Garrett Launching New Company Character Seven, Teaming With Lionsgate + Hulu On ...
Former Kudos founder and exec chairman Stephen Garrett is launching a new production company, Character Seven. The new company is already making ...

'The Flash' Season 2 Spoilers: DC Comics Character Griffin Grey To Appear On The CW Series
DC Comics character Griffin Grey will make his debut appearance in season 2 of "The Flash" in April.