Need help configuring IIS for PB11 .NET application deployment

What do we need to put in the "Publish Location" of the "Publish"
tab for the project ?

Also, what do we need to put in the "How application will be
installed/launched" section of the "Install/Update" tab ?

What's the difference between these two ?  Can we use a UNC path
in one and a URL in the other, etc. ?

Is there any place that clearly describes how to setup IIS 6 for
PB11 .NET deployment ?

We opened a case with Sybase (Case# 1137-3448)..  We were told
that the PB11 workstation needed to be be in the same Active Directory
domain as the server.  We were also told we need "WEBDAV".
We tried both of these things (and much more) without success.

Any help or information will be greatly appreciated.

0
Anonymous

See my answers below.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase

On 22 Oct 2007 09:13:51 -0700, Anonymous <wapenn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>What do we need to put in the "Publish Location" of the "Publish"
>tab for the project ?

A URL to the location on the IIS server you want to publish to.
Something like this:

http://localhost/c02_cs

(Note that is an underscore between the co2 and the cs)

>Also, what do we need to put in the "How application will be
>installed/launched" section of the "Install/Update" tab ?

The same URL, unless you create your own publish page:

http://localhost/c02_cs

>What's the difference between these two ?  Can we use a UNC path
>in one and a URL in the other, etc. ?

The publish location, specified on the Publish page in the Project
painter, determines where the application files are generated or
copied to when you publish the application. It can be an HTTP address,
an FTP site, or a UNC address.

The install location, specified on the Install/Update page, determines
where the end user obtains the initial version of the application. It
can be an HTTP address or UNC address, by default the same address as
the publish location specified in the wizard, or a CD or DVD. The
install location does not need to be the same as the publish location.
For example, you can publish the application to an FTP site, but
specify that users get the application and updates from a Web site.

>Is there any place that clearly describes how to setup IIS 6 for
>PB11 .NET deployment ?

I would review the Deploying Applications and components to .NET
manual in the compiled HTML Help File, particularly the first chapter.
Even though it is primarily for web forms deployment, if you follow
those steps you will have .NET configured for smart client publishing
as well.

>We opened a case with Sybase (Case# 1137-3448)..  We were told
>that the PB11 workstation needed to be be in the same Active Directory
>domain as the server.  We were also told we need "WEBDAV".
>We tried both of these things (and much more) without success.

Not sure about any of that. You could try publishing it using FTP.
0
Dave
10/22/2007 8:52:02 PM
Thanks you for your help and clarification. We have set up our
server, and we have the publish location set to \\servername\wwwroot$
and we have set the install location to http://x.domain.com/

When we try to publish we get an error "Error copying files" even
though the files do get copied to the share.  If we change the install
location to \\servername\wwwroot$ we do not get an error, but this
causes other problems - people need to be able to download this through
the web not a server share.

Dave Fish [TeamSybase] wrote:
> See my answers below.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase
>
> On 22 Oct 2007 09:13:51 -0700, Anonymous <wapenn@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What do we need to put in the "Publish Location" of the "Publish"
>> tab for the project ?
>>
> A URL to the location on the IIS server you want to publish to.
> Something like this:
>
> http://localhost/c02_cs
>
> (Note that is an underscore between the co2 and the cs)
>
>> Also, what do we need to put in the "How application will be
>> installed/launched" section of the "Install/Update" tab ?
>
> The same URL, unless you create your own publish page:
>
> http://localhost/c02_cs
>
>> What's the difference between these two ?  Can we use a UNC path
>> in one and a URL in the other, etc. ?
>
> The publish location, specified on the Publish page in the Project
> painter, determines where the application files are generated or
> copied to when you publish the application. It can be an HTTP address,
> an FTP site, or a UNC address.
>
> The install location, specified on the Install/Update page, determines
> where the end user obtains the initial version of the application. It
> can be an HTTP address or UNC address, by default the same address as
> the publish location specified in the wizard, or a CD or DVD. The
> install location does not need to be the same as the publish location.
> For example, you can publish the application to an FTP site, but
> specify that users get the application and updates from a Web site.
>
>> Is there any place that clearly describes how to setup IIS 6 for
>> PB11 .NET deployment ?
>
> I would review the Deploying Applications and components to .NET
> manual in the compiled HTML Help File, particularly the first chapter.
> Even though it is primarily for web forms deployment, if you follow
> those steps you will have .NET configured for smart client publishing
> as well.
>
>> We opened a case with Sybase (Case# 1137-3448)..  We were told
>> that the PB11 workstation needed to be be in the same Active Directory
>> domain as the server.  We were also told we need "WEBDAV".
>> We tried both of these things (and much more) without success.
>
> Not sure about any of that. You could try publishing it using FTP.
0
Anonymous

Need Help---Deploying VB.NET Application ???
Hi y'all. I need your help in my vb.net application.I have a VB.NET application, that is ready to deployed on a target pc. The thing is the target pc doesn't have a .NET framework installed, so I try to include a file called "dotnetfxredist_x86.msm" file from the detected dependencies. But when I build the project it causing errors, saying that :F:\Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Get User IP Address\Get User IP Address.vdproj dotNETFXRedist_x86_enu.msm must not be used to redistribute the .NET Framework.  Please exclude this merge module.The error saying that I have t...

Need some help with Deploying my ASP.NET Web Application
I have built a nice little Web App using ASP.NET and VB.NET, and I would like to set it up such that it can be installed by an end user. I've managed to get this far, now what I would like to do is during the install, have a desktop icon with a link to the Page installled as well (ideally to the desktop) Is this possible?? You would create a deployment project that would create an MSI file, which the user would run like any other Setup.exe. The key to installing successfully would be that the user must be an admin on a machine with IIS installed. Here's an article about deploying W...

Need help with asp.net 3.5 application deployment
Hello friends, I have have a web application which need to server for 50 or more than 50 customer with diffrent URL. Now my point is what should i prefer whether i put single virtual directory for 50 customer and make settings in Database ? Or make 50 diffrent virtual directory Which one will be better  please suggest? Thanks. sam Making 50 virtual directories will mean that you dont have to do the extra overhead logic for database. But i would also like to suggest a third alternative that is url rewriting. By using url rewriting you can achieve both single virtual directory as...

Very confused on how to deploy ASP.NET application to web server
I have been looking through different threads on here in regards to deploying a simple one-page asp.net application on to my web server, however, I am still very confused.  I have a few questions: a) On my Windows 2003 Server, IIS 6, under my web site properties, I don't see where I can change the version of the .NET framework to use.  I recall seeing a tab, but I don't.  I don't see it on my virtual directory properties either.  Where is it?b) I want to deploy my project to, say, c:\somefolder\testproject.  I still don't have a good grasp on whe...

Deploying powerbuilder application as .NET web application
Hi when I deploy Client/Server PowerBuilder application as .NET Web application I get below output. Not even getting any bug messages. Checking IIS Server... Generating .NET assembly file... Deploy failed. Have deployed provided Tutorial application as Web application. It has successfully created and deployed. Any information is appreciated. If this question has to do with PB 11 WebForm deploys, you want to post it in the sybase.public.powerbuilder.net.webform section. This section is for DataWindow.Net, a different product. On 29 Jul 2008 05:32:55 -0700, Raju Gol...

Differnet access time of MySQL Connector.Net in Desktop and IIS Application -- Need help
Hi I am using MySQL Connector.Net in my web application (.Net 3.5). I found that each query takes ~250 ms in my application. When I tried to run the same query from a Desktop application I found that the time ~80ms. Is there any way for tuning the IIS or what I am missing here? If I could get the same speed as desktop application in my web application, my app would be 2X faster than current. Thanks in advance for your help....

Need Help! Just moved our application into production and tried to configure for .NET 2.0
Hi, I hope someone can help. We just moved our application that has been upgraded from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0 into production. We installed .NET 2.0 Framework and the AJAX extensions. When I first went to test the site I received an error that referenced the web.config. It was hanging on the System.WebExtensions SectionGroup. I googled this problem and I was reminded that I needed to configure the site to run under the new .NET 2.0 framework in IIS. I went into IIS 6.0 and navigated to the ASP.net tab of the properties of our website. The ASP.Net Version drop down was blank. I c...

Cannot Deploy VS 2008 ASP.NET application into IIS (localhost): Server Application Unavailable.
Dear All, I am a complete newbie to ASP.NET. I made a website with a few pages using Visual Studio 2008 (C#). I just wanted to deploy the website on my local machine (localhost), but it does not work. I have complete NO clue as to what to do. Please help. The website works fine from Visual Studio 2008 ==> "View in browser". I have even done "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i" I can view HTML files, but not ASPX files. I receive the following error page, whenever I click on an ASPX file: Server UnavailableServer Application U...

Need help with application configuration
I have installed the Framework and sdk onto my system... though, it hasnt actually changed the application configuration to allow me to run aspx applications using InetPub... I was just wondering whether anyone could give me the location of the dll's, the file extensions and the verbs needed to manually add them to IIS... Try running %SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\{Version}\aspnet_regiis.exe -i This will take care of all the scriptmaps for you....

Need help on configurating IIS
This is complicating.. I understand that sending email using asp.net can be done using smtp server install in our local computer or using mail service like gmail or yahoo.. I dont have smtp server install in my pc. right now, i am figuring how to comfigure the smtp service component installed in my machine.. Below are the some instruction found in MSDN.. HOWEVER, the problem is i cant find the Application Server  in the component list. Can someone enlightenment me?   On the Start menu, click Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows C...

i need help configuring application
How do i configure my site not to shutdown, the problem i am having is when i and anyone haven't access the web application, it shutdown. When i got to use it any page, it takes for ever to load. Then after loading the pages are loaded at a pretty decent speed. It take on avarage for my site to load initially around 40 -60 sec. When i have user that visit the site, they aren't going to sit around waiting on the page to load. How do i fixed this problem. here is how i have my web.config setup: Notes: Also the application uses Ajax.<compilation debug="false"> ...

Help needed to deploy application
can anybody gimme an idea abt how to create an automatic setup for my ASP.Net website (Including creating SQL server databases, copying files, creating user accounts etc..) i am looking for something in the lines of the ASP.Net Sample Portal Application setup. It is quite urgent. You may check here for Deploying Applications and Components.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Hi - I'm also looking for advice on creating MSIs. I have been reading the info on MSDN. But I was wondering if there was a handy step-by-step article somewhere. I...

Application Error Need Help need help bad!!!!!!!!!
Hi I seem to have a huge problem on my hands.  I launched my website MyDesignerResource.com and used visual web developer to create dynamic pages.  I tried to put those on my webpage but everytime you login etc it gives me an application error.  I cannot figure out how setup the asp.net and sql server express 2005.  I tried everything i converted it to a .sql but i do not know what to put in the strings etc.  Could someone walk me through the steps in doing this.  By the way im using godaddy.com for my webhosting and i have a database setup there i just cant tak...

Need help getting started
I can't for the life of me get this thing working. I have installed VS.NET 2003 I have run the "aspnet_regiis /i" and still I get the error that the specified web server is not running ASP.NET 1.1. I have looked in IIS and I see it listed under ISAPI filters when I (R) click on web sites and choose properties. The thing I'm trying to do is run the sample from the ASP.NET resource kit called "ASP.NET Time Tracker Starter Kit (VBVS).sln". I've never worked with IIS before or ASP.NET so I could me missing the simple things. I am however familiar with .NET and have ...

Web resources about - Need help configuring IIS for PB11 .NET application deployment - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Configuring Push Notifications
Describes the common workflows to develop, test, and distribute your app.

Installing and configuring Graphite
Here are some notes I jotted down while installing and configuring Graphite, which isn't a trivial task, although the official documentation ...

Configuring Android Data Binding Just Got Easier
The [Android Data Binding Guide](https://developer.android.com/tools/data-binding/guide.html) was recently updated with a new way to configure ...

Configuring your Mac's network settings
At one time, a typical Mac user would no more have connected a couple of computers to the Internet via a local network than they would have extracted ...

Configuring a secure Ubuntu Linux Virtual Private Server
... acid which is a web based application to be able to view snort alerts $ sudo apt-get install acidbase Select No when it prompts you for configuring ...

Custom Configuring Java Apps: Extending log4j
Creating an extended, server-side version of a log4j Logger that automatically configures itself and adds printf -like logging methods to the ...

T-Mobile networks start configuring themselves, thanks to Eden Rock
T-Mobile US has tapped Eden Rock Communications , a Seattle-area wireless networking startup, to add some self-awareness to its networks. Eden ...

Configuring Eclipse · WhisperSystems/TextSecure Wiki · GitHub
TextSecure - A private messenger for Android.

Why NASA Is Re-Configuring Part of the International Space Station
NASA robotics flight controllers are preparing for moving day at the International Space Station.

Configuring two wireless routers with one SSID (network name) at home for free roaming
When we moved into the new house and setup the new home office a few years back, I posted about wiring the house for wired Cat-6 ethernet. I've ...