Migration from PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5.1

Hi,

Anybody have experience in migrating PB application from 5.0.04 to
6.5.1?   Is it a easy stuff, or we need to modify a lot for the
migration?

For the installation of PB 6.5.1, do I need to
install 6.0, then 6.5, and then 6.5.1, and then 6.5.1 EBF,
or I can start in the mid-way?

Is there any performance gain (or loss) for 6.5.1 vs 5.0?

Thanks in advance ...Andrew 11Jan2000

0
Andrew

The migration should be straightforward.  Back up your PB 5.0.04 source,
run the migration once and note the errors, warnings, etc... that are
generated from the migration.  Fix those in your backed up source, make
a copy of the updated source, migrate again.  Lather, rinse, repeat as
necessary.

I believe 6.5 comes as a full install and does not require 6.0 to be
installed first, but I'm not 100% sure.  You should check with your
Sybase sales rep.  You will have to download and apply the EBF's
yourself, though.

As for performance, my gut feel is that PB 6.5.1 should be a bit faster
than 5.0.04, but everyone's mileage varies.  Only testing will tell for
sure.  Part of this depends on the machine, amount of RAM, and, of
course, what your application is doing.

There have been a large number of issues with PB7's performance, both in
the development environment and at deployment and Sybase is working on
those issues.

HTH,

steve
[TeamSybase]

Andrew Cheung wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anybody have experience in migrating PB application from 5.0.04 to
> 6.5.1?   Is it a easy stuff, or we need to modify a lot for the
> migration?
>
> For the installation of PB 6.5.1, do I need to
> install 6.0, then 6.5, and then 6.5.1, and then 6.5.1 EBF,
> or I can start in the mid-way?
>
> Is there any performance gain (or loss) for 6.5.1 vs 5.0?
>
> Thanks in advance ...Andrew 11Jan2000

0
Steve

PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5 Migration
This sounds like a goofy question but I am migrating some PFC dependant applications from PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5 and was going to reset the library list to the new PB 6.5 PFC libraries, but I can't find them in 6.5. Where are they? Check to make sure you installed them. By default, unless you do a custom install, they aren't. (Don't ask me why, I think they should be deployed by default so everyone can start using them). If they were, then look under: C:\Program Files\Sybase\PB6\ADK\PFC On Thu, 6 May 1999 09:32:37 -0500, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder....

Building exe after migration from PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5
I have copied all my librarries ans so on to a new folder. Then, after the migration have completed, I try to build an exe from my project. I get a list of info. and obsolete messages and accepts this. The build-proces continues but after writing all the objects I get an error: 'Error writing object information'. My question is: What is the meaning with this message?? jal@kmd.dk J�rn Aabel Luckow. ...

PB 7.0 or PB 6.5 or PB 6.0 or PB5.04

Can the PB 6.5 or 6.5.1 maintenance release be ran on PB 6.0
Yes. ...

Experiences with PB 6.5.1 vs. PB 6.5.0
Any people run into any problems with 6.5.1 (+ EBF 1163) that were not there in vanilla 6.5.0. We have to migrate very late in the game (1 week before going live!) due to problems with 6.5.0 Oracle drivers and I would appreciate any advice on anything that got broken in that release. TIA, -- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Jacek Furmankiewicz STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com --------------------------------------------------------------------- 6.51 introduces a peculiar side effect during update() of datawindow - scrolls the d...

PB 6.5.0 vs PB 6.5.1 with datastores
Hi all, I began developing a large application using PB 6.5.0 several months ago. For various reasons, we had to migrate the code to 6.5.1. After performing some recursion testing, we noticed that many operations involving datastores ( create, insert rows, update, destroy ) began generating random GPF/Page Faults. The code itself hasn't changed and was verified in PB 6.5.0 via extensive testing. This is a hard one to pinpoint since the crashing is somewhat random. I've read some posts that indicate that certain dot notation can be problematic. All objects were fully rebuilt...

Migration from PB 5.04 to PB 6.5
Hi there! I need to make a System conversion. The System had made in Power Builder 5.04. I need to 'translate' it to Power Builder 6.5. Then, I need know what the problens and bugs in this MIGRATION... Thank you... Hi, There are no specific problems. First make a backup of your PB5.0.4 source and then migrate it to 6.5. If you get errors during the migration, repair them in the 5.0.04 sources and migrate again. HTH -- Gegroet - Eric Aling [TeamSybase], Cypres Informatisering, The Netherlands Eric's Home & PB Site @ http://utopia.knoware.nl/u...

Oracle Client 8.1.7
Hi all, I have a question about compatibility between PB native driver and oracle sql*net for different versions of Power Builder. We have 3 applications developed in 3 different versions of Power Builder: 5.00.0.0, 6.5.1.620 and 7.0.10047 All of them are using the Oracle Client 8.1.6 and accessing via PB Native Driver to Oracle. Although this is combination is not supported, the person in charge of the PB part tested this combination and decided to upgrade the oracle client from version 7.3.X to 8.1.6. So far it is working properly for us. Now, if it is decided to move to ora...

Migrating from PB 5.0.02 to PB 6.5...
Hello, The migration went pretty well, but I have an error and don't know where to look. Here it is: Object: ue_cie_ie Instance Variables (0031): Error C0176: Badly ordered TYPE and VARIABLE declarations. Is this modified exported source? Any ideas?? Thanks in Advance, Fred. (fred.goldbach@fiserv.com) What's on line 31 of the instance variables? Terry [TeamPS] and Sequel the techno-kitten On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:06:08 -0400, Fred Goldbach <fred.goldbach@fiserv.com> wrote: > The migration went pretty well, but I have an error and...

[MIGRATION QUESTION] PB 6.5.1 vs PB 8.0.1
Hi everyone, i have a question : We have developped a startegic application for one of our customer. We've developped it using PB 6.5.1 (on Windows NT 4.0) we plan to migrate this application to PB 8.0.1. Does anyone have heard about particuliar problems about PB 8 ? What is your opinion about this new version ? It seems to be faster... Is it stable enough w/ OCXs, etc ? Thanks in advance for any answer ! best regards, Guillaume MAISON In Sybase.Public.EAServer.PowerBuilder I answered another question regarding PB4 to PB8. See that posting for further detai...

Migrate PB 6.5.1, PFC and Cornerstone 6.5 to Powerbuilder 7.
Hello! I am now working with PB 6.5.1, PFC 6.5 and Cornerstone 6.5. What is best way to go: Migrate whole application including PFC*.PBL 6.5 to 7 or replace PFC*.PBL from 6.5 with PFC*.PBL 7.0 or ...? Any documents, links or readings about how to eliminate Cornerstone and only use PFC? Thank you for your help /Gunnar Nyberg Ericsson Sweden ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Why would you want to do that? You do have the source to Cornerstone, right? Or did they distribute their framework only as PBDs? ...

Migration: PowerBuilder 6.5.1 to PB 8.0.1
hi all, I am working on migrating the existing PB6.5.1 application to PB8.0.1 Build 9056 on Win 2000 SP1 system. The migration of the application went fine without any problems. After the migration is successful I tried to full rebuild the application(target as in PB8), it results in application being terminated(GPF). But if i choose Incremental rebuild, it the build works fine. The same happens when I try migration on Win 95 system too. Does anybody out here came across such a problem during migration? Thanks in advance for your help/advice. Mahesh Try optimi...

Migration pb 5.0.04 to 6.5
I I try to migrate an application to pb 6.5 and i have one error. This error is : C0123 - Function dupliquer differs from ancestor only by return type. But i don't have dupliquer function in my windows. And i don't know what's the problem. I need help! The answer you already got from Brian Dick looks like the right answer. Did that not work for you? Let us know, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:28:34 -0400, Robin_Gauthier wrote: > I try to migrate an application to pb 6.5 and i have one error. This &...

Web resources about - Migration from PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5.1 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pope Francis urges review of migration laws to welcome refugees
... and indifferent to the tragedies facing humanity. Vatican City: Pope Francis on Tuesday called on countries to review their laws on migration ...

Paris deal considers climate change role in mass migration
Global warming has already contributed to the the large-scale displacement of people that has been an ominous, politically sensitive undercurrent ...

EU-Turkey summit to center on stemming migration flow
EU-Turkey summit to center on stemming migration flow

Security is a major concern for cloud migrations
... Moreover, 40 percent worry about the loss of physical control over data in the cloud. In particular, 69 percent of companies fear migration ...

Website migration guide: building an SEO checklist for moving your site
... in other countries also which makes it vital that it’s as easy as possible to present users with the correct version. Combining a site migration ...

Christian Charities Combat Resistance to Muslim Migration
The Obama administration intends to bring 10,000 Syrian refugees, almost all Muslim, to the U.S. in FY 2016 unless Congress rejects funding. ...

IBM Nabs Giant Eagle Cloud Migration Deal
IBM can now count Giant Eagle among its growing list of cloud customers, as Big Blue works to overhaul the supermarket chain's IT operations. ...

Is Migration a Basic Human Right?
The latest Freakonomics radio podcast grapples with the question Is Migration a Basic Human Right? ( itunes ) As usual, Stephen Dubner and his ...

Site Redesign & Migration Tips To Avoid SEO & UX Disasters
Planning to overhaul your website? Check out contributor Modestos Siotos' tips to help you minimize the potential negative impact of a site relaunch. ...