Migrating Powerbuilder 5.0 App to 7.0

Hi!

I'm about to migrate the application our company is developing/supporting
from Powerbuilder 5.0 (.04) to Powerbuilder 7.0.

So I'm hoping someone can help out with some tips, experiences and advices.
I started searching sybase.com (which can be a cumbersome task), and found
some articles and former newsgroup posts, but not enough.

Some questions are: Would it be wise to migrate via 6.5 first, and then 7.0.
And since 8.0 is just around the corner, are there anyone with experience on
migrating to 8.0 (from 6.5/5.0)?

Further details:
* The applications transaction object connects to an Oracle 7.34 server (but
we'll be migrating to 8i soon).
* We haven't implemented PFC
* The application is quite large (35 librarys and about 500 objects).
* Most of the compilation errors are related to usage of SetActionCode /
Return - whats the best practice regarding this?

Sincerely

Andr�

0
Andr

ANdre,
We went directly from 5.0.04 to 7.x, and other than the relative instability
of those early 7.x releases, it went pretty smoothly.  I would not recommend
going to 6.x first.  The approach we took was to attempt the migration
first, take note of everything that fails, make the required changes in the
5.x code, and re-migrate until it's successful.  Take a complete backup of
the PBLs, obviously...

Paul Horan [TeamSybase]
Buffalo, NY

"Andr� Tobiassen" <andre@bbl.no> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I'm about to migrate the application our company is developing/supporting
> from Powerbuilder 5.0 (.04) to Powerbuilder 7.0.
>
> So I'm hoping someone can help out with some tips, experiences and
advices.
> I started searching sybase.com (which can be a cumbersome task), and found
> some articles and former newsgroup posts, but not enough.
>
> Some questions are: Would it be wise to migrate via 6.5 first, and then
7.0.
> And since 8.0 is just around the corner, are there anyone with experience
on
> migrating to 8.0 (from 6.5/5.0)?
>
> Further details:
> * The applications transaction object connects to an Oracle 7.34 server
(but
> we'll be migrating to 8i soon).
> * We haven't implemented PFC
> * The application is quite large (35 librarys and about 500 objects).
> * Most of the compilation errors are related to usage of SetActionCode /
> Return - whats the best practice regarding this?
>
> Sincerely
>
> Andr�

0
Paul
11/23/2000 2:33:35 PM
What Paul said, plus you probably want to look at the Migration
Assistant under the Tools tab of the New dialog in PB7. There's also a
migration aid tool written by Bruce Armstrong up on the Sybase web
site (the search engine should help you find it, if digging through
the Downloads section doesn't turn it up).

Good luck,

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:12:55 +0100, "Andr� Tobiassen" <andre@bbl.no>
wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I'm about to migrate the application our company is developing/supporting
>from Powerbuilder 5.0 (.04) to Powerbuilder 7.0.
>
>So I'm hoping someone can help out with some tips, experiences and advices.
>I started searching sybase.com (which can be a cumbersome task), and found
>some articles and former newsgroup posts, but not enough.
>
>Some questions are: Would it be wise to migrate via 6.5 first, and then 7.0.
>And since 8.0 is just around the corner, are there anyone with experience on
>migrating to 8.0 (from 6.5/5.0)?
>
>Further details:
>* The applications transaction object connects to an Oracle 7.34 server (but
>we'll be migrating to 8i soon).
>* We haven't implemented PFC
>* The application is quite large (35 librarys and about 500 objects).
>* Most of the compilation errors are related to usage of SetActionCode /
>Return - whats the best practice regarding this?
>
>Sincerely
>
>Andr�

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit,
winner of PowerTimes 1999 "Little Helper of the Year"
0
Terry

Powerbuilder 9.0 Migration from powerbuilder 7.0.3 problem
Hi all, i was trying an migrate an powerbuilder 7.0.3 application to powerbuilder 9.0(PFC BASED APPLICATION (PFC objects version PB 6.5) ) during migration i am getting this error. tcmborrower.pbl(w_cursor_check).w_cursor_check.open.2: Error C0163: The definition of referenced global variable sqlca was improperly compiled in object trcomps Did anybody faced this kind of error? Thx Ashok JPMORGAN ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp First error message which i got during the migration is : tcmappl.pb...

Powerbuilder 5.0/7.0 and MS SQL 7.0 Performance issues
We recently converted our app from Powerbuilder 5.0 to PB 7.0 -- the app in PB 7.0 definitely runs slower on the client PC's than it did in PB 5.0. Now we are migrating the database from MS SQL 6.5 to 7.0 SP2. We successfully converted the databases in a testing environment, but now the app runs terribly slow! I don't think it's a hardware issue -- the test box is a Compaq 8500 quad Xeon 500 w/1GB Ram. We experimented running the app as a PB 5.0 app against MS SQL 7.0 and the problem is the same. When we execute SQL directly against the DB outside of PB, we see no perf...

Powerbuilder 5.0.4 and migrating to SQL 7.0
We will be migrating from SQL 6.5 to 7.0. Does this require a recompile of Powerbuilder applications, or just pointing to the new (7.0) database in the .ini file? Any other suggestion and/or hints would be greatly appreciated. PB5 will not work with SQL 7.0. One person has said they got it working fine but the general experience, and Sybase's position, is that you need to upgrade to PB6.5 or 7.0 Simon Dan Wolterink <wolterink@dearborn.com> wrote in message news:IxnyP3#n$GA.299@forums.sybase.com... > We will be migrating from SQL 6.5 to 7.0. Does this require...

PowerBuilder 5.0 to 5.0.0.2
I hope this the correct venue for this question. I have a fresh install of PB 5.0 and I need to upgrade it to 5.0.0.2. I have found plenty of reference/downloads to 5.0.0.4 on the sybase website, but I need to go from 5.0 to 5.0.0.2. Where can I download the correct patch/upgrade? Thanks 5.0.0.2 is no longer available. You can choose between 5.0.03 (bug infested) and 5.0.04 (stable). -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://sdn.sybase.com MySybase - http://my.sybase.com "Dwayne Bordelon" <dwayne.bordelon@shawinc...

The Complexity and Effort to Upgrade from PowerBuilder 5.0 to PowerBuilder 9.0
All, I am looking for any information you would have on the Complexity and Effort to Upgrade from PowerBuilder 5.0 to PowerBuilder 9.0. We are scoping out initial effort estimate documents and workplans. thanks- Brian I would start by searching this ng. Many folks have replied to questions regarding migrations from 8 to 9, 7 to 9, 6 to 9 etc. The notes may not answer all your questions but still should give you some valuable insight HTH Greg <Brian Hauss> wrote in message news:40c09b93.4a25.1681692777@sybase.com... > All, > I am looking for any information y...

Problem of PowerBuilder 5.0 and ASA 7.0
Hi everyone, I installed ASA 7.0 evaluation copy for testing purpose. I can start database server on ASA 7.0. However, when I want to see the data via PowerBuilder. I found that the PowerBuiler 5.0 cannot display the ASA 7.0 ODBC driver and I can't make a database profile for connection. Can you give me any suggestion to solve the above problem? Thanks! -- Best Regards, Simon Chan Tel.: 852-2965-6706 email: simon_chan@cgiasia.com.hk Have a look in the SQL Anywhere Help... ===== ASA Getting Started PART 1. Moving to Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0 ...

Migrating from PowerBuilder 6.5 to PowerBuilder 8.0
We are doing a feasibility study of migrating a PFC based PowerBuilder Application from v6.5 to v8.0. This application is heavily PFC depended and also includes many custom based core layers. If anybody has done (PFC based) powerbuilder migration prior kindly suggest the best approach on the following. 1) How to successfully migrate from PowerBuilder 6.5/PFC - PowerBuilder 8.0/PFC. 2) How to fix/resolve post migration errors etc... . Any help or suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks and Regards Vamsi ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide....

Code Migration from Powerbuilder 5.0 to 9.0
Was wondering whether anyone can provide any information on this. Any info at all is welcomed thks :) Try http://www.teamsybase.net:8083/newsgroups/display.jsp?msgid=3q3spvccn3tdvtr5il532g7k1mka5sng0e@4ax.com. There's probably more postings. Here's a list of ways to search old messages: http://www.techno-kitten.com/Troubleshooting/Anyone_Else_See_It_/anyone_else_see_it_.html#someonehasexperiencedit. Good luck, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On 7 May 2004 02:32:18 -0700, Edward wrote: >Was wondering whether anyone can provide any information on &g...

Migration to PowerBuilder 6.5 from Powerbuilder 4.0
Hi all, I'm going to migrate from Powerbuilder 4.0 to Powerbuilder 6.5 soon. I would like to know if I have to migrate previously to Powerbuilder 5.0, or if it is possible to migrate directly from Powerbuilder 4.0 to 6.5. In the last case I would like to know if I can have any problems during the upgrade process. Thanks in advance... On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:46:07 +0100, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general "Jorge Salamanca" <jsalamanca@fintec.es> wrote: >Hi all, > >I'm going to migrate from Powerbuilder 4.0 to Powerbuilder 6.5 soo...

ASA and PowerBuilder 6.0, 6.5, or 7.0
I am currently running PB 5.0 with an Oracle 7.3 database. However, there is a great demand for our remote users to gain access to the app. Therefore, I was looking into using ASA to deploy to our remote users. The problem is that stored procedures are not supported with the run-time version of the database engine that gets deployed with the deployment kit. My question is: Does PB 6.0, 6.5, or 7.0 and/or deployment kit allow the run-time engine to support stored procedures. If not, what are some alternatives? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. >My ...

PowerBuilder 7.0 & Oracle 8.0.5
I am using PowerBuilder 7.0 Enterprise(EA Studio 3.0) with Oracle 8.0.5 using PB 7.0's Native Database interface and through ODBC on Win - NT/Win 98. Now I am facing one serious problem regarding Datawindow. When I try to create Group DW through SQL Select, Datawindow gets created successfully but if I try to change the height of Header/Footer Band then PB immediately crashes displaying "Invalid page fault ..", sometimes PB crashes on moving data elements also. But if I connect to Adaptive Server then it works. I could not make out why this happens. Please help me out M...

PowerBuilder 5.0.04 and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0
I am having problems with a powerbuilder 5.0.04 application that uses pipeline objects. The only thing that has changed is the destination database has recently been upgraded from Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 to 7.0. We connect via ODBC. After upgrading to 7.0, we get the -4 error code (i.e. Table Not Found). Does anyone know if any new drivers are needed to support Microsoft SQL Server 7.0? Thanks, Victoria I am not sure but there is a 3.70 ODBC Driver from Microsoft. I am not sure the older driver works ok with MS 7.0. pv Victoria Kelsey wrote: > > I am having...

Triggers in SQL Anywhere 5.5.0 and PowerBuilder 5.0.03
Hi: I'm trying to get a series of triggers working, but am having lots of difficulties. Initially, the following trigger did not update the 'product' table on an insert. create trigger ti_inventory after insert on inventory referencing new as new_inventory for each row begin update product set product.current_in_stock = product.current_in_stock + new_inventory.qty_new + new_inventory.qty_used_excl + new_inventory.qty_used_good + new_inventory.qty_used_poor where product.product_code = new_inventory.product_code end; I tried to put other commands into the t...

Powerbuilder 5.0 against Visual Basic 5.0
Can someone give me some good advise why I sould use Powerbuilder 5.0 instead of Visual Basic 5.0 for making critical applications (With SQL-server 6.5) ?? We are looking forward to build critical applications for around 100 users. Please sent your notes to e-mail: karel.geraerts@alz.be instead of this newsgroup. Many thanks! Mainly because you don't have to put up with all the crap found in the Microsoft newsgroups when you need help. (Ads for pirated software from Hong Kong, etc.) There are a lot of other reasons as well (PB is OO, supports inheritance, yadda yadda yadda)....

Web resources about - Migrating Powerbuilder 5.0 App to 7.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles