Migrating from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0

Sybase will be giving our company a presentation on migrating from PB 6.5 to
PB 9.0 with a view to deploying to the WEB.

Our application is three tier.

IBM DB2

PB App Servers on Mid teir Servers

PB Client applications on WinNT and Win98 PCs

If anyone has any experiences (usually bad) with migration issues I would
appreciate any input or advice on specific questions and issues we should
bring up at this presentation.

Thanks
Snookyt

0
Snookyt

What app servers are you using now?  Is this currently a DPB app?

On Thu, 2 May 2002 15:07:36 -0400,
Snookyt <Snookyt@Yhoo.com> wrote:
>Sybase will be giving our company a presentation on migrating from PB 6.5 to
>PB 9.0 with a view to deploying to the WEB.
>
>Our application is three tier.
>
>IBM DB2
>
>PB App Servers on Mid teir Servers
>
>PB Client applications on WinNT and Win98 PCs
>
>If anyone has any experiences (usually bad) with migration issues I would
>appreciate any input or advice on specific questions and issues we should
>bring up at this presentation.
>
>Thanks
>Snookyt

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com
http://www.needhim.org

Bruce
5/3/2002 3:21:07 AM
Bruce;
Thanks for your response.

The app servers are in house build.  I am guessing DPB that this means
Distributed PowerBuilder and it is one that was authored by Sybase. The
answer is no.  It is completly in house authored.  I hope this is the info
you are looking for.  I would like to go to the meeting and not be too in
the dark.  The last time I did distributed processing was ver 5.  Just
started the job this week.

TIA

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
wrote in message news:FTgoQGl8BHA.290@forums.sybase.com...
> What app servers are you using now?  Is this currently a DPB app?
>
> On Thu, 2 May 2002 15:07:36 -0400,
>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general
> Snookyt <Snookyt@Yhoo.com> wrote:
> >Sybase will be giving our company a presentation on migrating from PB 6.5
> >PB 9.0 with a view to deploying to the WEB.
> >
> >Our application is three tier.
> >
> >IBM DB2
> >
> >PB App Servers on Mid teir Servers
> >
> >PB Client applications on WinNT and Win98 PCs
> >
> >If anyone has any experiences (usually bad) with migration issues I would
> >appreciate any input or advice on specific questions and issues we should
> >bring up at this presentation.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Snookyt
> >

> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> http://www.teamsybase.com
> http://www.needhim.org

Snookyt
5/3/2002 5:53:18 PM
A DPB app will migrate to PB8 (PB9 is still half a lifetime away) relatively
easily, depending on your goals. If your goal is ultra-quick migration,
non-critical functions, then you can move most stuff over as-is and use the
JAWS servlet to allow http access to the PB components running in EAServer.
PB Clients can access the components directly from EAServer as well, and
you'd basically change the server you connect to. (Not that much different).
If your application performs transaciton processing and lots of database
access, I'd recommend doing at least some re-architecting to utilize the
capabilities of EAServer. If the goal is to build a strategic product that
will go forward as an important product for quite some time, I'd recommend
spending quite a bit of time on re-architecting as well as bring in some
good solid mentors to help ensure architectural accuracy.

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]
VP - Power3

"Snookyt" <Snookyt@Yhoo.com> wrote in message
> Bruce;
> Thanks for your response.
>
> The app servers are in house build.  I am guessing DPB that this means
> Distributed PowerBuilder and it is one that was authored by Sybase. The
> answer is no.  It is completly in house authored.  I hope this is the info
> you are looking for.  I would like to go to the meeting and not be too in
> the dark.  The last time I did distributed processing was ver 5.  Just
> started the job this week.
>
> TIA
>

> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
> wrote in message news:FTgoQGl8BHA.290@forums.sybase.com...
> > What app servers are you using now?  Is this currently a DPB app?
> >
> > On Thu, 2 May 2002 15:07:36 -0400,
> >  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general
> > Snookyt <Snookyt@Yhoo.com> wrote:
> > >Sybase will be giving our company a presentation on migrating from PB
6.5
> > >PB 9.0 with a view to deploying to the WEB.
> > >
> > >Our application is three tier.
> > >
> > >IBM DB2
> > >
> > >PB App Servers on Mid teir Servers
> > >
> > >PB Client applications on WinNT and Win98 PCs
> > >
> > >If anyone has any experiences (usually bad) with migration issues I
would
> > >appreciate any input or advice on specific questions and issues we
should
> > >bring up at this presentation.
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >Snookyt
> > >

> > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> > http://www.teamsybase.com
> > http://www.needhim.org
> >
> > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> > http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
Bill
5/3/2002 6:14:38 PM
Bill
Thank you for giving me a sense of what could lie ahead and some ways to
prepare for it.

Bob
5/3/2002 11:39:41 PM
You are welcome.

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]
VP - Power3

"Bob Tirone" <rtironesr@attbi.com> wrote in message
> Bill
> Thank you for giving me a sense of what could lie ahead and some ways to
> prepare for it.
>

> "Bill Green[TeamSybase]" <bill.green@teamsybase.com> wrote in message
> > A DPB app will migrate to PB8 (PB9 is still half a lifetime away)
> relatively
> > easily, depending on your goals. If your goal is ultra-quick migration,
> > non-critical functions, then you can move most stuff over as-is and use
> the
> > JAWS servlet to allow http access to the PB components running in
> EAServer.
> > PB Clients can access the components directly from EAServer as well, and
> > you'd basically change the server you connect to. (Not that much
> different).
> > If your application performs transaciton processing and lots of database
> > access, I'd recommend doing at least some re-architecting to utilize the
> > capabilities of EAServer. If the goal is to build a strategic product
that
> > will go forward as an important product for quite some time, I'd
recommend
> > spending quite a bit of time on re-architecting as well as bring in some
> > good solid mentors to help ensure architectural accuracy.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Green[TeamSybase]
> > VP - Power3
> > http://www.power3.com
> >

> > "Snookyt" <Snookyt@Yhoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Bruce;
> > > Thanks for your response.
> > >
> > > The app servers are in house build.  I am guessing DPB that this means
> > > Distributed PowerBuilder and it is one that was authored by Sybase.
The
> > > answer is no.  It is completly in house authored.  I hope this is the
> info
> > > you are looking for.  I would like to go to the meeting and not be too
> in
> > > the dark.  The last time I did distributed processing was ver 5.  Just
> > > started the job this week.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >

> > > "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
> <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>

PB
> > 6.5

> > would
> > should

0
Bill

Migration from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0
Hello, We are in the process of migrating from PB 6.5 to 9.0.1 Build 7096. We found that when we are inserting rows using PB 6.5 it was found that the SQL which got generated in where was : WHERE APPLICANT_ID = NULL, In PB 9.0 the same datawindow is generating SQL as : WHERE APPLICANT_ID is NULL. The 2nd one is taking a long time to display the blank screen. Is there any solution to this which can be put in the INI file? Environment is Oracle 9i R2 and PB 9.0 using O84 drivers. Regards Ravi Why are you not using the "O90" drivers? "RH" <rharv...

Migrating from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0 #2
After migrating our PB 6.5 application to PB 9.0 it showed up warnings for GetSQLPreview function. Is it safe to leave this as it is? Since they are quite a lot. Will it cause any problems? Thanks, Rahul The help file in PB8 states: Obsolete method GetSQLPreview is obsolete and will be discontinued in the near future. You should replace all references to GetSQLPreview as soon as possible. The SQL syntax is available as an argument in the DBError and SQLPreview events. That means that Sybase has warned you that the function won't be around forever. You're going to ...

Migration from PB 5/6.5 to PB 9
Hi, if anyone could provide with a link to a document/whitpaper on migrating from PB5/6.5 to PB 9 giving details about methodology, complexties in it etc. Thanks in advance. Gurpreet Singh You can use the following link http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/changes_to_powerbuilder.html Vinay Karwal > Hi, if anyone could provide with a link to a > document/whitpaper on migrating from PB5/6.5 to PB 9 > giving details about methodology, complexties in it etc. > > Thanks in advance. > Gurpreet Singh http://www.techno- kitten.com/Changes_t...

Powerbuilder Upgrade Issues (PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1)
Hello, We are having some issues while trying to upgrade from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1 The database is Sybase .I was hoping if you could post in any usergroups Background: There is a window w_child inherited from w_parent.The datasource of this dw_1 is a Stored Procedure that runs in Sybase ASE 12.5 In ue_1 of w_parent there is a dw_1.retrieve(arg1,arg2). ue_1 of w_child extends ue_1of w_parent. In ue_1 of w_child the code checks the condition dw_1.rowcount() >0 based on which it decides on the execution flow. Issue: While running the application, no rows are getting re...

PB 7.0 or PB 6.5 or PB 6.0 or PB5.04

Migrate/Upgrade from PB 5.0.xx to PB 8.0/9.0
Hi, I am having the PB 5.0.xx Applications running on my pc at this moment. I have to Migrate/Upgrade them to PB 8/9. What is the best way to get this? Can any one give me some guidance on this? Thanks for your Help in Advance Regards Migrating: - Backup - Optimize in PB5 - Full Rebuild in PB5, with Information and Warning messages turned on - Backup, send it offside - Run Migration Assistant (File / New / Tools in PB8/9) - Fix the identified issues using PB5 <doublechecking> - Optimize in PB5 - Full Rebuild in PB5, with Information and Warning messages t...

problem with migration pb 6.5 to pb 6.0
after problems in compilation with pb 6.5, I compile librairies in pb 6.0 and it is ok. But, in menu, letters with accent ("�" or "�" ) become "o". thanks to say me if it's normal... ...

Migrating from PB 5.0.02 to PB 6.5...
Hello, The migration went pretty well, but I have an error and don't know where to look. Here it is: Object: ue_cie_ie Instance Variables (0031): Error C0176: Badly ordered TYPE and VARIABLE declarations. Is this modified exported source? Any ideas?? Thanks in Advance, Fred. (fred.goldbach@fiserv.com) What's on line 31 of the instance variables? Terry [TeamPS] and Sequel the techno-kitten On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:06:08 -0400, Fred Goldbach <fred.goldbach@fiserv.com> wrote: > The migration went pretty well, but I have an error and...

PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5 Migration
This sounds like a goofy question but I am migrating some PFC dependant applications from PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5 and was going to reset the library list to the new PB 6.5 PFC libraries, but I can't find them in 6.5. Where are they? Check to make sure you installed them. By default, unless you do a custom install, they aren't. (Don't ask me why, I think they should be deployed by default so everyone can start using them). If they were, then look under: C:\Program Files\Sybase\PB6\ADK\PFC On Thu, 6 May 1999 09:32:37 -0500, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder....

Application running slow after Migrating from PB 6.5 -> PB 9.0.2
Hi, We have migrated our application from PB 6.5 TO pb9.0.2. We have around 80 pbls. In PB 6.5 , application used to be fast. I mean EXE. In PB 9.0.2 , exe is running slow. We are not using PFC DATABASE is : Oracle 8.1.7.4.0 Any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Kavitha.M That's really not enough information to be helpful. You probably need to do some profiling of your application to determine what operations are taking too much time. Once you've narrowed it down somewhat we may be able to help. On 28 Feb 2005 22:54:22 -0800, Kavitha wro...

PB 6.5 Migrated from PB 5.0 Application deployment
I recently migrated a PFC/PFE application from PB 5.04 to 6.5. I have compiled it down to p-code and am able to run the application from both the developement environment & from the EXE on the machine that has PB 5.04 installed on it. When I move the application and the PB 6.5 deployment DLL's to a machine without PB 5.04 on it, it starts asking me for the whole set of PB 5.04 deplymnt DLL's. It's like there is some sort of dependance on PB 5.04 that I didn't break during the migration process. My OS is NT 4.0 SP4 and the application path includes the app/pbd'...

Problems migrating from PB 5.0.03 to PB 6.5
I am having problems running the my application after migrating it to PB 6.5. The application was migrated successfully. Then, I added all the new PFC objects and PBLs as per the guidelines provided by Sybase. The full rebuild was also successful except for a few warnings about instance variables of local structure type being implicit in the next release. However, when I start up the application and try to open any screen having datawindows, it crashes with Dr. Watson's error. Did anybody have a similar experience? Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. T...

Migration from PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5.1
Hi, Anybody have experience in migrating PB application from 5.0.04 to 6.5.1? Is it a easy stuff, or we need to modify a lot for the migration? For the installation of PB 6.5.1, do I need to install 6.0, then 6.5, and then 6.5.1, and then 6.5.1 EBF, or I can start in the mid-way? Is there any performance gain (or loss) for 6.5.1 vs 5.0? Thanks in advance ...Andrew 11Jan2000 The migration should be straightforward. Back up your PB 5.0.04 source, run the migration once and note the errors, warnings, etc... that are generated from the migration. Fix those in your backed ...

Web resources about - Migrating from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Thunderclap Migrating From Twitter to Facebook
Thunderclap, a mass-messaging service that gained popularity on Twitter, has set its sights on Facebook . Twitter recently booted Thunderclap ...

Facebook Migrating Unofficial Page Fans to Official Pages at Brand Owner’s Request
Rupesh Mandal is such an avid fan of the Opera Mini web browser that he set up a Page on Facebook totally devoted to celebrating it, and then ...

Teens Migrating From Facebook To Comments Section Of Slow-Motion Deer Video - YouTube
Subscribe to The Onion on YouTube: http://bit.ly/xzrBUA Trendwatchers say more and more teens are leaving Facebook and Twitter in favor of the ...

UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating professionals, study finds
... with 28 per cent, was the leading source of professionals, according to the LinkedIn study. The UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating ...

Record Numbers of New Zealanders Migrating to Australia
Acting on impulse: why the Kiwis keep coming ... and coming and coming

The krilling season: Whales keep tourists migrating south
Earlybird whale watchers in Eden have been rewarded with astounding acrobatic displays in the bay.

Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great
Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great

Researchers say Irukandji jellyfish migrating further south along Qld coast
Researchers say climate change could be altering the migration patterns of the dangerous Irukandji jellyfish along Qld's east coast.

Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating to more advanced technology
... Company , iPhone , and iPad continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating ...

More eBay Merchants Migrating to Amazon in Search of Sales Growth
EBay's once-loyal merchants are moving more of their business to Amazon, saying they get more for their money by selling merchandise via the ...