Microsoft .NET framework

Hi Everyone,

Microsoft released the .NET framework.  Along with it they released a new
language called C# (C Sharp) and rewrote the Visual Basic language to be
..NET compliant.

One thing I thought was interesting is many other languages are coming out
with a .NET compliant version that can be used to program applications to
take advantage of the .NET framework  These languages include COBOL, Cobra,
Natural, and there's about 20 more I can't remember or never heard of.

Does anyone know if PowerBuilder is coming out with a .NET compliant
language.  We have all our applications in PowerBuilder.  The company was
bought out and they want us to create web-based applications of our current
software in ASP.NET.  Rather than learning a new language I thought I'd
check if PowerBuilder had a .NET compliant version.

Thanks,
Mark

0
Mark

There has been talk that PowerBuilder will support .Net in the future.  To
what level, I am not sure.  If they plan to support it to the level you are
talking about, based on PB release trends, you are looking over a year to
see something.

"Mark Moeykens" <mjmoeykens@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Microsoft released the .NET framework.  Along with it they released a new
> language called C# (C Sharp) and rewrote the Visual Basic language to be
> .NET compliant.
>
> One thing I thought was interesting is many other languages are coming out
> with a .NET compliant version that can be used to program applications to
> take advantage of the .NET framework  These languages include COBOL,
Cobra,
> Natural, and there's about 20 more I can't remember or never heard of.
>
> Does anyone know if PowerBuilder is coming out with a .NET compliant
> language.  We have all our applications in PowerBuilder.  The company was
> bought out and they want us to create web-based applications of our
current
> software in ASP.NET.  Rather than learning a new language I thought I'd
> check if PowerBuilder had a .NET compliant version.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

0
Stephen
3/21/2002 7:39:07 PM
Take a look at http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1015888 for a bit of preview
on PB9. I hear that the level of support for .NET is not solidified because
..NET itself is not yet fully baked - remember, the gamma version just came
out. My guess based on Sybase's usual M.O. is that there will be an
announcement of some sort about PB9 at TechWave in August.

Mark Moeykens wrote in message ...
>Hi Everyone,
>
>Microsoft released the .NET framework.  Along with it they released a new
>language called C# (C Sharp) and rewrote the Visual Basic language to be
>.NET compliant.
>
>One thing I thought was interesting is many other languages are coming out
>with a .NET compliant version that can be used to program applications to
>take advantage of the .NET framework  These languages include COBOL, Cobra,
>Natural, and there's about 20 more I can't remember or never heard of.
>
>Does anyone know if PowerBuilder is coming out with a .NET compliant
>language.  We have all our applications in PowerBuilder.  The company was
>bought out and they want us to create web-based applications of our current
>software in ASP.NET.  Rather than learning a new language I thought I'd
>check if PowerBuilder had a .NET compliant version.
>
>Thanks,
>Mark

0
Jerry
3/21/2002 8:21:54 PM
The catch to what you're describing is that all these kludges of other language
standards is that they have to compile down to the Common Language Runtime (CLR)
that .Net servers run. That means they have to cull anything that can't be
implemented in CLR. PowerScript without the datawindow? I'd rather live in a
world without sunshine and flowers (mind you, I *am* an indoors kind of guy
<G>).

The other catch is that, whenever MS releases new features to the CLR, guess
what languages will have them implemented first? And will the vendor of your
flavour of CLR language implement those features in a timely fashion, if ever?In
my mind (and in the mind of a few others I've heard), that's going to create a
serious disincentive to invest in alternate CLR languages.

OTOH, I hope PB will be able to make SOAP calls (call components on .Net
servers) and that EAServer will be able to host .Net components, the same as it
hosts multiple component types now.

Just my opinion, though.

Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the don't-touch-my-datawindow techno-kitten

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:43:49 -0800,
Mark Moeykens <mjmoeykens@nospam.com> wrote:

>Microsoft released the .NET framework.  Along with it they released a new
>language called C# (C Sharp) and rewrote the Visual Basic language to be
>..NET compliant.
>
>One thing I thought was interesting is many other languages are coming out
>with a .NET compliant version that can be used to program applications to
>take advantage of the .NET framework  These languages include COBOL, Cobra,
>Natural, and there's about 20 more I can't remember or never heard of.
>
>Does anyone know if PowerBuilder is coming out with a .NET compliant
>language.  We have all our applications in PowerBuilder.  The company was
>bought out and they want us to create web-based applications of our current
>software in ASP.NET.  Rather than learning a new language I thought I'd
>check if PowerBuilder had a .NET compliant version.

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
3/21/2002 8:26:05 PM
FWIW, .NET also support "unmanaged" portions of languages, such as COM
(<bg>), C++/STL/MFC, etc.

If/when PowerBuilder did provide .NET support, I would expect the datawindow
to be one of those "unmanaged" thingies that require a .NET wrapper
interface. It should be a lot easier to do rather then re-write a million(+)
lines of code. At the same token, Sue Dunnell talked about re-architecting
some foundation elements like the datawindow engine, so who really knows???

--
<hopethishelps/>
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
> The catch to what you're describing is that all these kludges of other
language
> standards is that they have to compile down to the Common Language Runtime
(CLR)
> that .Net servers run. That means they have to cull anything that can't be
> implemented in CLR. PowerScript without the datawindow? I'd rather live in
> world without sunshine and flowers (mind you, I *am* an indoors kind of
guy
> <G>).
>
> The other catch is that, whenever MS releases new features to the CLR,
guess
> what languages will have them implemented first? And will the vendor of
your
> flavour of CLR language implement those features in a timely fashion, if
ever?In
> my mind (and in the mind of a few others I've heard), that's going to
create a
> serious disincentive to invest in alternate CLR languages.
>
> OTOH, I hope PB will be able to make SOAP calls (call components on .Net
> servers) and that EAServer will be able to host .Net components, the same
as it
> hosts multiple component types now.
>
> Just my opinion, though.
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the don't-touch-my-datawindow techno-kitten
>
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:43:49 -0800,
>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general
> Mark Moeykens <mjmoeykens@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >Microsoft released the .NET framework.  Along with it they released a new
> >language called C# (C Sharp) and rewrote the Visual Basic language to be
> >..NET compliant.
> >
> >One thing I thought was interesting is many other languages are coming
out
> >with a .NET compliant version that can be used to program applications to
> >take advantage of the .NET framework  These languages include COBOL,
Cobra,
> >Natural, and there's about 20 more I can't remember or never heard of.
> >
> >Does anyone know if PowerBuilder is coming out with a .NET compliant
> >language.  We have all our applications in PowerBuilder.  The company was
> >bought out and they want us to create web-based applications of our
current
> >software in ASP.NET.  Rather than learning a new language I thought I'd
> >check if PowerBuilder had a .NET compliant version.
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 2.1.01 now available at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
Roy

What is the difference between microsoft .net framework and microsoft .net framework SDK
What is the difference between microsoft .net framework and microsoft .net framework SDK. And are the advantages of .net framework sdk over .net framework.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- Hi, the .NET framework is the runtime environment that enables your code to run properly. The SDK is the Software Development Kit which holds code snippets etc for developers to check if it needed (that's my basic interpretation of the SDK). I haven't installed the SDK as I use Visual Studio and the MSDN library...

Can we replace Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 with Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5
Hi, I have installed vs2008 in C drive and removed it from there  including Microsoft .Net framework 3.5, due to space crunch, then I started installing it in D drive, in this case it did not install .Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 and now it does not show me Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 it shows .NET Compact Framework 3.5 in Add remove program list. My question is will VS2008 work fine with .NET Compact Framework 3.5. apart from it it also has .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in the list, all what is missing is microsoft .net framework 3.5  Please let me know ...

when will microsoft release the tranditional-chinese version of .net framework, framework SDK and VS.NET 2005?
I am waiting for them so long time 我要的是繁體中文版 Parco LeeOwner + Webmaster + System Engineer + Professional ProgrammerSoftDweller Lab (a software laboratory)http://www.softdweller.comA professional laboratory for new technology softwares developing by .NET.http://www.nowlover.com any time-tables from Microsoft? Parco LeeOwner + Webmaster + System Engineer + Professional ProgrammerSoftDweller Lab (a software laboratory)http://www.softdweller.comA professional laboratory for new technology softwares developing by .NET.http://www.nowlover.com...

SpreadsheetGear for .NET Release Candidate, a royalty free Microsoft Excel spreadsheet component for the Microsoft .NET Framework, is available for download.
9/12/2005 - SpreadsheetGear for .NET is a royalty free Microsoft Excel compatible spreadsheet component built by industry veterans for the Microsoft .NET Framework. SpreadsheetGear for .NET provides .NET Framework developers the tool they need to leverage the existing skills of Excel users by allowing these users to design reports, specify business rules, set up complex calculations and provide tables of data in a form in which they are both knowledgeable and comfortable. SpreadsheetGear for .NET features the fastest spreadsheet calculation engine available. All of Excel's financial, date, ...

LISP vs .NET framework and other frameworks in general
Hi,There is a very smart guy at the university (CTO of a company located at the place I currently live at) and also a phd at 'Quantum computing' who teaches me at the university in Software Architecture. So he recently told us about his phd dissertation that he developed a 'quantum computing' simulation in LISP.And gave a big talk in favour of LISP :)He liked very much LISP and claimed that LISP is years ahead compared to any other programming languages like c# or java.I have a very small exp with LISP so I cannot make a real comparison between LISP and c# .So I wondered...

ASP.NET and Microsoft .NET framework Versions
Hello, I have an application built in .NET and I have the source code.Now how do I find the versions of ASP.NET and Microsoft .NET framework its using? Regards,Renil. Renil:  Open CS file in any editor, and if you find the keyword "partial class" then the version in ASP.NET 2.0, Otherwise ASP.NET 1.x  Girijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/...

asp.net and Microsoft .NET Framework SDK Package Confusion
I hope someone can clear my novice confusion. I wish to start using asp.net to develop web applications. I've downloaded ASP.NET version 1.1 dotnetfx.exe which is about 23 MB. I also have a Setup.exe for Microsoft .NET Framework SDK Package which is about 106 MB. What is the difference between these packages? Do I need both installed? dotnetfx is for the framework installation! I guess Setup will have SDK also!Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti dotnetfx.exe contains only the tools for running the .NET assemblies wheras Setup.exe (106 MB) contains the ...

Need freeware .NET Documentation Tool for Microsoft .NET Framework
Got a solution fully documated that needed to be taken out and to attached it to the project spec. Any known good free tool suggestion will help. For VS2003 exists the NDocument tool.For other versions have a look at this: http://www.codeplex.com/Sandcastle Hope this helpsIf this post is useful to you, please mark it as answer. ...

Strange temp folder created by .NET is giving me errors. It is in the directory-->C:\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v.2.050727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\mySite.com\f40a2335
 I am working on a Visual Studio 2005 project. It is giving me a compiler error for a C# file.The problem is that this C# file isn't in my project directory. Instead The C# file is in the following directory, Which somehow looks like it was created by the system. C:\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v.2.050727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\mySite.com\f40a2335   So what is the significance of this .NET generated folder, and why am I getting compiler errors for code in that folder?   Note that my project is in Inetpub\wwwroot\mySite.com What is the error your are getting? Please when pos...

SpreadsheetGear Releases Microsoft Excel Compatible Spreadsheet Component for the Microsoft .NET Framework
LENEXA, KS, September 20th, 2005 -  Today, SpreadsheetGear LLC announced the immediate availability of SpreadsheetGear for .NET, a royalty free Microsoft Excel compatible spreadsheet component built by industry veterans for the Microsoft .NET Framework. SpreadsheetGear for .NET provides Microsoft .NET Framework developers the tool they need to leverage the existing skills of Microsoft Excel users by allowing these users to receive richly formatted information, design reports, specify business rules, set up complex calculations and provide tables of data in a form in which they are both ...

Microsoft .NET Framework
I found the below paper while digging around for some additional information on register-based machines. I'm posting it because (1) of Larry's remarks about the importance of http://windows.oreilly.com/news/hejlsberg_0800.html and (2) others have, in earlier posts, expressed an interest in additional information about the .NET stuff.[*] http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/gordon00typing.html Abstract: The Microsoft .NET Framework is a new computing architecture designed to support a variety of distributed applications and webbased services. .NET software components are...

Microsoft.NET framework
How to reinstall Microsoft.NET framework 1,2,3,4? eytan gelbman wrote: > How to reinstall Microsoft.NET framework 1,2,3,4? Your question would be better served being asked on a Microsoft forum. -- Dave Nottage [TeamB] ...

microsoft drm 9.0.0.3250 + Microsoft .net framework asst 1.0
Using FF 3.5, WinXP pro I've been searching around trying to find out what the following do: Under Add-ons/plugins I'm finding: microsoft drm 9.0.0.3250 DRM Netscape network object microsoft drm 9.0.0.3250 DRM Netscape plugin What are these, what do they do and are they necessary? Searching knowledge base and forums return no info. Under extensions: Microsoft .net framework asst 1.0 - I know it's not compatible with FF 3.5, and I think I read somewhere that this should be removed, but how? Thanks for any info. jamsie james wrote: > Using FF 3...

Web resources about - Microsoft .NET framework - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message