Memory Leak, Leak, Leak, Leak.....

All,

I have spent a lot of time watching the life being sucked out of my computer
as I develop using PB during the day.  I can document PB 7.0 8030 leaking
memory every time I open and close the library, save an userobject, open a
datawindow, etc.  Some times the memory comes back when when I close PB, but
mostly not.  On one occasion I watched a nearly full restoration of
available memory after closing Powerbuilder and then MSOutlook.  How could
MSOutlook release memory?

Anyhows, I just had to vent.  Is anyone else suffering the slow loss of
memory?  I  don't see a lot of threads on it.  I am hoping that it is
solvable.


Regards, Kevin Berez






0
Kevin
6/21/2000 11:04:16 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 17 followers. Follow

7 Replies
1123 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 40

I have the same problem. My machine has 128MB of RAM and Resource Meter
can report as low as 10% free resources in as little as 30 minutes of
work on Powerbuilder 7 (7.0.2 build 8030). I use PB 6.5 (6.5.1 build
1180) at home and I can go all day and night ( hehe, accidental humor )
without restarting. Thankfully PB7 seems to have a built in memory
reclaim operation, it crashes for no reason what-so-ever freeing most of
its wasted memory, along with the code you've been writing for the last
hour.

Later,
Tyroid

Kevin Berez wrote:
> 
> All,
> 
> I have spent a lot of time watching the life being sucked out of my computer
> as I develop using PB during the day.  I can document PB 7.0 8030 leaking
> memory every time I open and close the library, save an userobject, open a
> datawindow, etc.  Some times the memory comes back when when I close PB, but
> mostly not.  On one occasion I watched a nearly full restoration of
> available memory after closing Powerbuilder and then MSOutlook.  How could
> MSOutlook release memory?
> 
> Anyhows, I just had to vent.  Is anyone else suffering the slow loss of
> memory?  I  don't see a lot of threads on it.  I am hoping that it is
> solvable.
> 
> Regards, Kevin Berez
0
Tyrone
6/21/2000 11:27:38 PM
I do notice that MS outlook and Iexplorer hogs memory over time. that why I
tend to shut them down every so often
for My pb 7, shutting PB will recover most of the memory lost. I am running
NT 4.


Nonetheless, I still reboot the PC every week or so.  BTW, sometimes logging
out will do the trick too for me.

"Kevin Berez" <kabereznospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:pXZ1xa92$GA.285@forums.sybase.com...
> All,
>
> I have spent a lot of time watching the life being sucked out of my
computer
> as I develop using PB during the day.  I can document PB 7.0 8030 leaking
> memory every time I open and close the library, save an userobject, open a
> datawindow, etc.  Some times the memory comes back when when I close PB,
but
> mostly not.  On one occasion I watched a nearly full restoration of
> available memory after closing Powerbuilder and then MSOutlook.  How could
> MSOutlook release memory?
>
> Anyhows, I just had to vent.  Is anyone else suffering the slow loss of
> memory?  I  don't see a lot of threads on it.  I am hoping that it is
> solvable.
>
>
> Regards, Kevin Berez
>
>
>
>
>
>


0
G
6/21/2000 11:30:42 PM
Once a week?

I re-boot at least twice a day.  I think that the GPFs are PB's way of
letting you you've starting to be moderately productive.  There's a Dilbert
joke in there somewhere :)

I'm running NT with the latest SP with 128mg.  Within two hours of
development I am up to 130-150MB in memory and my harddrive is vibrating
like those hotel beds with magic fingers.  Yee haw!

Regards, Kevin


G. Gunn <g.gunn@nospam.iname.com> wrote in message
news:9IV9fl92$GA.285@forums.sybase.com...
> I do notice that MS outlook and Iexplorer hogs memory over time. that why
I
> tend to shut them down every so often
> for My pb 7, shutting PB will recover most of the memory lost. I am
running
> NT 4.
>
>
> Nonetheless, I still reboot the PC every week or so.  BTW, sometimes
logging
> out will do the trick too for me.
>
> "Kevin Berez" <kabereznospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:pXZ1xa92$GA.285@forums.sybase.com...
> > All,
> >
> > I have spent a lot of time watching the life being sucked out of my
> computer
> > as I develop using PB during the day.  I can document PB 7.0 8030
leaking
> > memory every time I open and close the library, save an userobject, open
a
> > datawindow, etc.  Some times the memory comes back when when I close PB,
> but
> > mostly not.  On one occasion I watched a nearly full restoration of
> > available memory after closing Powerbuilder and then MSOutlook.  How
could
> > MSOutlook release memory?
> >
> > Anyhows, I just had to vent.  Is anyone else suffering the slow loss of
> > memory?  I  don't see a lot of threads on it.  I am hoping that it is
> > solvable.
> >
> >
> > Regards, Kevin Berez
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>


0
Kevin
6/22/2000 1:01:00 AM
What DB are you connecting to?

Kevin Berez wrote:

> Once a week?
>
> I re-boot at least twice a day.  I think that the GPFs are PB's way of
> letting you you've starting to be moderately productive.  There's a Dilbert
> joke in there somewhere :)
>
> I'm running NT with the latest SP with 128mg.  Within two hours of
> development I am up to 130-150MB in memory and my harddrive is vibrating
> like those hotel beds with magic fingers.  Yee haw!
>
> Regards, Kevin
>
> G. Gunn <g.gunn@nospam.iname.com> wrote in message
> news:9IV9fl92$GA.285@forums.sybase.com...
> > I do notice that MS outlook and Iexplorer hogs memory over time. that why
> I
> > tend to shut them down every so often
> > for My pb 7, shutting PB will recover most of the memory lost. I am
> running
> > NT 4.
> >
> >
> > Nonetheless, I still reboot the PC every week or so.  BTW, sometimes
> logging
> > out will do the trick too for me.
> >
> > "Kevin Berez" <kabereznospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > news:pXZ1xa92$GA.285@forums.sybase.com...
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I have spent a lot of time watching the life being sucked out of my
> > computer
> > > as I develop using PB during the day.  I can document PB 7.0 8030
> leaking
> > > memory every time I open and close the library, save an userobject, open
> a
> > > datawindow, etc.  Some times the memory comes back when when I close PB,
> > but
> > > mostly not.  On one occasion I watched a nearly full restoration of
> > > available memory after closing Powerbuilder and then MSOutlook.  How
> could
> > > MSOutlook release memory?
> > >
> > > Anyhows, I just had to vent.  Is anyone else suffering the slow loss of
> > > memory?  I  don't see a lot of threads on it.  I am hoping that it is
> > > solvable.
> > >
> > >
> > > Regards, Kevin Berez
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >

--

Jerry


=====================================================
Jerry Neppl
PowerTeam, Inc.
www.powerobjects.com
jerry@powerobjects.com

=====================================================


0
Jerry
6/22/2000 2:59:04 AM
There's a BIG memory leak when the library painter is refreshed.  This
seemed to be fixed in one of the EBFs (8024 I think), but either I was
imagining it or it has come back, 8030 and 8045 are as bad as ever - each
refresh loses about 1Mb memory.

As for why Outlook releases memory -= it's because Outlook also has a big
memory leak - even Microsoft release buggy software occasionally ;-)

Simon

"Kevin Berez" <kabereznospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:pXZ1xa92$GA.285@forums.sybase.com...
> All,
>
> I have spent a lot of time watching the life being sucked out of my
computer
> as I develop using PB during the day.  I can document PB 7.0 8030 leaking
> memory every time I open and close the library, save an userobject, open a
> datawindow, etc.  Some times the memory comes back when when I close PB,
but
> mostly not.  On one occasion I watched a nearly full restoration of
> available memory after closing Powerbuilder and then MSOutlook.  How could
> MSOutlook release memory?
>
> Anyhows, I just had to vent.  Is anyone else suffering the slow loss of
> memory?  I  don't see a lot of threads on it.  I am hoping that it is
> solvable.
>
>
> Regards, Kevin Berez
>
>
>
>
>
>


0
Simon
6/22/2000 8:47:21 AM
Oracle 7.3 and 8.0


Jerry Neppl wrote in message <395180F8.CF6FD3D8@powerobjects.com>...
>What DB are you connecting to?
>
>Kevin Berez wrote:
>
>> Once a week?
>>
>> I re-boot at least twice a day.  I think that the GPFs are PB's way of
>> letting you you've starting to be moderately productive.  There's a
Dilbert
>> joke in there somewhere :)
>>
>> I'm running NT with the latest SP with 128mg.  Within two hours of
>> development I am up to 130-150MB in memory and my harddrive is vibrating
>> like those hotel beds with magic fingers.  Yee haw!
>>
>> Regards, Kevin
>>
>> G. Gunn <g.gunn@nospam.iname.com> wrote in message
>> news:9IV9fl92$GA.285@forums.sybase.com...
>> > I do notice that MS outlook and Iexplorer hogs memory over time. that
why
>> I
>> > tend to shut them down every so often
>> > for My pb 7, shutting PB will recover most of the memory lost. I am
>> running
>> > NT 4.
>> >
>> >
>> > Nonetheless, I still reboot the PC every week or so.  BTW, sometimes
>> logging
>> > out will do the trick too for me.
>> >
>> > "Kevin Berez" <kabereznospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> > news:pXZ1xa92$GA.285@forums.sybase.com...
>> > > All,
>> > >
>> > > I have spent a lot of time watching the life being sucked out of my
>> > computer
>> > > as I develop using PB during the day.  I can document PB 7.0 8030
>> leaking
>> > > memory every time I open and close the library, save an userobject,
open
>> a
>> > > datawindow, etc.  Some times the memory comes back when when I close
PB,
>> > but
>> > > mostly not.  On one occasion I watched a nearly full restoration of
>> > > available memory after closing Powerbuilder and then MSOutlook.  How
>> could
>> > > MSOutlook release memory?
>> > >
>> > > Anyhows, I just had to vent.  Is anyone else suffering the slow loss
of
>> > > memory?  I  don't see a lot of threads on it.  I am hoping that it is
>> > > solvable.
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > Regards, Kevin Berez
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>
>--
>
>Jerry
>
>
>=====================================================
>Jerry Neppl
>PowerTeam, Inc.
>www.powerobjects.com
>jerry@powerobjects.com
>
>=====================================================
>
>


0
Kevin
6/22/2000 11:14:37 AM
I assume you're using Win98.   We did fix a bunch of leaks in the painters -
perhaps 75% or higher.   We found some others recently and have reopened CR200932
to address these (Win9x leaks).  While 8033 or 8045 usability is yards ahead of
7.0 gold, we know there are a few areas we need to address yet with memory and
resource usage.    You should be able to work 'all day and night' in PB without
losing resources.   It's a good idea to keep resource meter running in working in
Win9x, though.

Which areas do you work in that you're seeing this?  Script?  Window/User Object
painter, datawindow painter?  Make sure you've applied all the DLLs from the
patches. DWP, DEV, UDO, etc.

To Kevin's point with NT 4.0 leaks
There are a few more broad ones in NT (some that hit Win9x too) that we're looking
into in the painters.  Process memory seems to creep upward in NT as well.   It's
not as devastating as the early 7.0 gold win9x leaks but it will grow the process
over time and if you don't have 128MB like Kevin, you'll hit the pagefile sooner.
Sometimes it depends what you're running.  I have this problem too running a Java
bug tracking app, Notes (big hog), Netscape 4 (newsgroups) and IE 5 (stock
ticker....ah...I mean...mysybase.com browsing), Clarify and SQL Server 6.5 at the
same time trying to do my job.  The java app leaks big time (100MB) after maybe 2
hours - much worse than PB.

In the runtime, it's a good practice anyway to build resource checking into
deployed applications.  Regardless of what application is leaking, pb-based,
outlook, IE, Netscape, Notes, and Java (yes, they do leak) it eventually affects
the one you're trying to open if you're out of resources.  I always throw the
resources somewhere on the main MDI window (perhaps a non-resizable child window
like PFC uses).  Sometimes, it's just that Win98 can't have that many
resource-intensive applications open. If you can detect this or watch this through
a timer (stop at less than 20%), you can at least warn your user and keep your
PB-based apps from crashes.

--
Stephen Dupre
Sybase Product Support
Concord, Mass.


Tyrone Garside wrote:

> I have the same problem. My machine has 128MB of RAM and Resource Meter
> can report as low as 10% free resources in as little as 30 minutes of
> work on Powerbuilder 7 (7.0.2 build 8030). I use PB 6.5 (6.5.1 build
> 1180) at home and I can go all day and night ( hehe, accidental humor )
> without restarting. Thankfully PB7 seems to have a built in memory
> reclaim operation, it crashes for no reason what-so-ever freeing most of
> its wasted memory, along with the code you've been writing for the last
> hour.
>
> Later,
> Tyroid
>
> Kevin Berez wrote:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > I have spent a lot of time watching the life being sucked out of my computer
> > as I develop using PB during the day.  I can document PB 7.0 8030 leaking
> > memory every time I open and close the library, save an userobject, open a
> > datawindow, etc.  Some times the memory comes back when when I close PB, but
> > mostly not.  On one occasion I watched a nearly full restoration of
> > available memory after closing Powerbuilder and then MSOutlook.  How could
> > MSOutlook release memory?
> >
> > Anyhows, I just had to vent.  Is anyone else suffering the slow loss of
> > memory?  I  don't see a lot of threads on it.  I am hoping that it is
> > solvable.
> >
> > Regards, Kevin Berez




0
Stephen
6/22/2000 12:58:39 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Leaks leaks leaks (and lotsa grumbles)
Folks, You may recall that I have been plagued by Windows 2000 memory leaks of various sorts ever since this new server was built and first brought on line about three and a half months ago. One leak, which I quickly located and fixed, was my fault from failing to close a Service Ports Scan thread handle. Another was a problem with a new feature of the NDIS 5.0 API which my NanoProbe kernel driver was using. While fixing both of those reduced the leakage trouble, it turned out that something was still leaking somewhere. I have been pulling my hair out, going 'round...

Devel::Leak and leaking code
Hi, This is really a usage question - of how to use Devel::Leak to demonstrate memory leaks - instigated by a post by Tels on the same topic last week (blame him :-) ------------------------------------ use warnings; use strict; use Devel::Leak; use Inline C => Config => BUILD_NOISY => 1; use Inline C => <<'EOC'; char * leaker1(int s) { char * r; int i; Newz(1, r, sizeof(char) * s, char); if(r == NULL) croak("Failed to allocate memory in leaker1()"); for(i = 0; i < s-1; ++i) r[i]...

superreview requested: [Bug 306785] memory leaks in PQG_ParamGenSeedLen : [Attachment 194622] fix for memory leaks
Julien Pierre <julien.pierre.bugs@sun.com> has asked Robert Relyea <rrelyea@redhat.com> for superreview: Bug 306785: memory leaks in PQG_ParamGenSeedLen https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=306785 Attachment 194622: fix for memory leaks https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=194622&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Julien Pierre <julien.pierre.bugs@sun.com> I have tested this and verified the 2 leaks are gone. all.sh still passes. I'm not 100% sure that my change in getPQseed is correct . The code was previously freeing and re...

superreview granted: [Bug 306785] memory leaks in PQG_ParamGenSeedLen : [Attachment 194622] fix for memory leaks
Robert Relyea <rrelyea@redhat.com> has granted Julien Pierre <julien.pierre.bugs@sun.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 306785: memory leaks in PQG_ParamGenSeedLen https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=306785 Attachment 194622: fix for memory leaks https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=194622&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Robert Relyea <rrelyea@redhat.com> Your code is correct wrt getPQseed(). We know seedBytes doesn't change, so it's clearly a waste to allocate each time through. bob ...

anti-leak guide gets leaked
Embarrassment for MoD as anti-leak guide gets leaked on to the internet By Daily Mail Reporter Last updated at 8:18 AM on 06th October 2009 The Ministry of Defence was left embarrassed tonight after its internal guide to preventing leaks appeared on the internet. The Defence Manual of Security sets out tactics for preventing Chinese and Russian intelligence services from using blackmail or hi-tech gadgets to obtain sensitive information. It also describes methods of countering the threat from 'subversive or terrorist organisations' and investigative journalists. Read ...

superreview granted: [Bug 429230] memory leak in pkix_CheckCert function : [Attachment 315876] Patch v1(remove debug code that leaks memory)
Kai Engert (:kaie) <kengert@redhat.com> has granted Alexei Volkov <alexei.volkov.bugs@sun.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 429230: memory leak in pkix_CheckCert function https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=429230 Attachment 315876: Patch v1(remove debug code that leaks memory) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=315876&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Kai Engert (:kaie) <kengert@redhat.com> You remove a lot of code, is that all equivalent to PKIX_CHECK ? ...

superreview requested: [Bug 429230] memory leak in pkix_CheckCert function : [Attachment 315876] Patch v1(remove debug code that leaks memory)
Alexei Volkov <alexei.volkov.bugs@sun.com> has asked Kai Engert (:kaie) <kengert@redhat.com> for superreview: Bug 429230: memory leak in pkix_CheckCert function https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=429230 Attachment 315876: Patch v1(remove debug code that leaks memory) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=315876&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Alexei Volkov <alexei.volkov.bugs@sun.com> Nominating the bug for 3.12.0. checkerCheck(a pointer to pkix_PolicyChecker_Check) will throw an error in case when cert does not pass the che...

superreview granted: [Bug 297592] Need a JSS Selfserv test for checking memory leaks : [Attachment 189371] JSS_SelfServServer and JSS_SelfServClient program for testing memory leaks
glen beasley <glen.beasley@sun.com> has granted Sandeep Konchady <Sandeep.Konchady@Sun.COM>'s request for superreview: Bug 297592: Need a JSS Selfserv test for checking memory leaks https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=297592 Attachment 189371: JSS_SelfServServer and JSS_SelfServClient program for testing memory leaks https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=189371&action=edit ...

superreview requested: [Bug 262758] live bookmarks leak memory/RDF resources : [Attachment 161801] 262758-livemark-refresh-leaks-memory-0.patch
vladimir@pobox.com has asked Mike Shaver <shaver@mozilla.org> for superreview: Bug 262758: live bookmarks leak memory/RDF resources https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=262758 Attachment 161801: 262758-livemark-refresh-leaks-memory-0.patch https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=161801&action=edit ...

superreview granted: [Bug 262758] live bookmarks leak memory/RDF resources : [Attachment 161801] 262758-livemark-refresh-leaks-memory-0.patch
Mike Shaver <shaver@mozilla.org> has granted vladimir@pobox.com's request for superreview: Bug 262758: live bookmarks leak memory/RDF resources https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=262758 Attachment 161801: 262758-livemark-refresh-leaks-memory-0.patch https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=161801&action=edit ...

superreview requested: [Bug 297592] Need a JSS Selfserv test for checking memory leaks : [Attachment 189371] JSS_SelfServServer and JSS_SelfServClient program for testing memory leaks
Sandeep Konchady <Sandeep.Konchady@Sun.COM> has asked glen beasley <glen.beasley@sun.com> for superreview: Bug 297592: Need a JSS Selfserv test for checking memory leaks https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=297592 Attachment 189371: JSS_SelfServServer and JSS_SelfServClient program for testing memory leaks https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=189371&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Sandeep Konchady <Sandeep.Konchady@Sun.COM> JSS_SelfServServer.java and JSS_SelfServClient.java are server and client using JSS that can takein a pred...

superreview requested: [Bug 431414] Review MailNews uses of idl functions that return xpcom allocated arrays [..., array, ...] for memory leaks : [Attachment 318566] Fix memory leaks
Mark Banner <bugzilla@standard8.plus.com> has asked Dan Mosedale <dmose@mozilla.org> for superreview: Bug 431414: Review MailNews uses of idl functions that return xpcom allocated arrays [..., array, ...] for memory leaks https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=431414 Attachment 318566: Fix memory leaks https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=318566&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Mark Banner <bugzilla@standard8.plus.com> This fixes the memory leaks I have found by going through: http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/search?string=array&...

superreview granted: [Bug 431414] Review MailNews uses of idl functions that return xpcom allocated arrays [..., array, ...] for memory leaks : [Attachment 318566] Fix memory leaks
neil@parkwaycc.co.uk <neil@httl.net> has granted Mark Banner <bugzilla@standard8.plus.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 431414: Review MailNews uses of idl functions that return xpcom allocat= ed arrays [..., array, ...] for memory leaks https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3D431414 Attachment 318566: Fix memory leaks https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=3D318566&action=3Dedit ------- Additional Comments from neil@parkwaycc.co.uk <neil@httl.net> >+ // Ensure any old data is freed if necessary.=0D >+ if (mSearchAttrs) {=0D ...

superreview granted: [Bug 376600] Test for memory leaks sometimes detects false leaks.
Christophe Ravel <christophe.ravel.bugs@sun.com> has granted Slavomir Katuscak <slavomir.katuscak@sun.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 376600: Test for memory leaks sometimes detects false leaks. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=376600 Attachment 262635: Fix v1. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=262635&action=edit ...

Web resources about - Memory Leak, Leak, Leak, Leak..... - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In psychology , memory is the process in which information is encoded, stored, and retrieved. Encoding allows information from the outside world ...

Read-Only Memory
Read-Only Memory publishes high-quality books and articles that document defining moments in videogame history.

Vandals smash sculpture in memory of Abbie Mewburn
A grieving family are distraught after vandals destroyed a memorial sculpture honouring their little girl.

Political memory loss
Your story &quot;Revival of death duties gets backing&quot; (November 15) goes to show that we fail to use hindsight.

Deal: PNY memory cards are up to 60% off on Amazon today
There's no such thing as having too much memory on your mobile device, especially when some smartphones are still coming to market with a mere ...

Test your eyeballs and your memory in Color Match
If you enjoy games that challenge your perception and memory skills, then the new Color Match Color Memory Game is one you should try. The concept ...

Happy 30th birthday Windows! What's your earliest memory of Microsoft's revolutionary operating system ...
... you can still see those early origins in today’s OS. To celebrate Windows hitting its 30th year, we’d like to know what your earliest memory ...

Review: 5 memory debuggers for Linux coding
... may cause the software to behave unexpectedly or worse, terminate prematurely. If you haven't already guessed it, I am talking about memory-related ...

Trump Justifies 9-11 Lie: 'I Have The World's Best Memory'
... after the towers came down? He was adamant, no, he was not conflating the two. He said that he has, and I quote, “the world's best memory,” ...

‘Finding Dory’ Trailer: Sleep-Swimming May Be Path To Memory For Forgetful Fish
Disney/Pixar ’s Finding Dory reunites the gang from 2003 hit animated sea adventure Finding Nemo . Ellen DeGeneres is back as forgetful blue ...

Resources last updated: 11/25/2015 4:21:53 AM