java powerbuilder to java functions

We are currently on PowerBuilder 8.0, backend Sybase, and are looking into
web development using pure Java, no EAS.

Are there any class libraries out there that have been written for
java/powerbuilder, for instance the equivelent of Rowcount() or Find, or
other datawindow functions, but now instead of using datawindows we will be
using arrays.

I hate to reinvent the wheel and it seems like somebody must have done this
already.

Larry Horowitz
0
larryh

Larry,

I'm lost.  No EAS, no DataWindows.  Where does PowerBuilder fit into the
solution here?

--
Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Two new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups

Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
http://www.codexchange.sybase.com

http://www.needhim.org
<larryh> wrote in message
> We are currently on PowerBuilder 8.0, backend Sybase, and are looking into
> web development using pure Java, no EAS.
>
> Are there any class libraries out there that have been written for
> java/powerbuilder, for instance the equivelent of Rowcount() or Find, or
> other datawindow functions, but now instead of using datawindows we will
be
> using arrays.
>
> I hate to reinvent the wheel and it seems like somebody must have done
this
> already.
>
> Larry Horowitz

0
Bruce
6/6/2003 10:06:19 PM
If you are using PowerJ (or just have a license for PowerJ), you can use the
Java DataWindow -- not as feature complete as the PB one, but gives you much
more then an array and a JDBC resultset.

--
<hopethishelps/>
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

<larryh> wrote in message
> We are currently on PowerBuilder 8.0, backend Sybase, and are looking into
> web development using pure Java, no EAS.
>
> Are there any class libraries out there that have been written for
> java/powerbuilder, for instance the equivelent of Rowcount() or Find, or
> other datawindow functions, but now instead of using datawindows we will
be
> using arrays.
>
> I hate to reinvent the wheel and it seems like somebody must have done
this
> already.
>
> Larry Horowitz

0
Roy
6/7/2003 1:49:34 PM
EOL for PowerJ has already been announced
http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1021952
www.xmpsp.com might be worth a look.

"Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> wrote in
message news:%23Ong5wPLDHA.315@forums-1-dub...
> If you are using PowerJ (or just have a license for PowerJ), you can use
the
> Java DataWindow -- not as feature complete as the PB one, but gives you
much
> more then an array and a JDBC resultset.
>
> --
> <hopethishelps/>
> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
> SDN CodeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com
>
> <larryh> wrote in message
> > We are currently on PowerBuilder 8.0, backend Sybase, and are looking
into
> > web development using pure Java, no EAS.
> >
> > Are there any class libraries out there that have been written for
> > java/powerbuilder, for instance the equivelent of Rowcount() or Find, or
> > other datawindow functions, but now instead of using datawindows we will
> be
> > using arrays.
> >
> > I hate to reinvent the wheel and it seems like somebody must have done
> this
> > already.
> >
> > Larry Horowitz

0
Jerry

Calling a Java function from PowerBuilder
Hi all, We need to call a Java function from within PowerBuilder. I realize PB 6.5 can generate Java code but how do we call the functions? We know we can write an external function call to a C program which can make the call. Is there a better way? Thanks. Andy Egleston Is it a running applet or application that can be listening for requests on a socket? You could use a socket OCX and communicate with it from PB that way. Carson ________________________________________________ Carson Hager Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. Te...

Powerbuilder to Java
Will the component factory enable me to migrate my Powerbuilder Application to real Java Code ? Will this work for nonvisual and for visual objects ? I need to migrate my Powerbuilder Application to Java because it should work on IBM NCs without Winframe. Please help me. Thanks a lot !!!! Erwin Selg wrote: > Will the component factory enable me to migrate my Powerbuilder > Application to real Java Code ? > Will this work for nonvisual and for visual objects ? I need to migrate > my Powerbuilder Application to Java because > it should work on IBM NCs witho...

Java vs PowerBuilder
Hi I realise that this is a Powerbuilder newsgroup and hence it may be a bit biased but I thought I'd ask this question here anyways as I'm not getting much response from other groups :- Could anyone please pass on their views of how well Java runs within the Sybase engine ( ASE 12.5 ). Are there issues with hung java processes ? Or any other problems people have come across ? Also if anyone out there has any links to related sites, whitepapers etc please forward the links. Many thanks ...

PowerBuilder
Hi. We are developing a software in Java that has to generate a big amount of reports. I know of the benefits to use PowerBuilder for such a task. The question I have is: Is it possible to call PowerBuilder code from a Java program? And also on the contrary, is it possible to exectute Java code from a PowerBuilder application? If possible, could you please tell me how? Thank you a lot. If you have a Java aplication server (EAServer or otherwise) he answer is yes on both counts. If you don't have an app server, or your Java software is a standalone GUI app, that's...

PowerBuilder -> Java
Is there is a way to convert PowerBuilder code to Java source? Even, say, converting an nvo to a Java object? Thanks, Casey Sackett casey@morganlabs.com Casey, This is right from the PB 6.5 help file. The JavaBean proxy generator creates a set of 100% pure Java classes representing PowerBuilder custom class user objects (read NVOs). You create the user objects in the User Object painter and then generate source or bytecode representations of the classes in the Project painter. Hope that helps... Rey... TeamPS Retired... Casey Sackett wrote in message ... &g...

JAVA PowerBuilder future
Hi: For Pb 6.0 users How is java been utilized by the new version and do you think a good knowledge in Java will be helpful Thank you ...

Calling Java from PowerBuilder???
We are planning to redesign our PowerBuilder application to a pure Java solution. Both applications, the PowerBuilder application and Java application, will be running concurrently during the redesign but we plan on disabling functionality from a modular level in the PowerBuilder application as it is redesigned and deployed in the Java solution. As the modules are redesigned can the new Java modules be called from PowerBuilder? This way the transition will be seamless to the user and we our maintenance gradly shifted to the Java solution. Thanks in advance -- Peace, Mic...

Powerbuilder 2 Java
Hi All, How to import Java Class file to Powerbuilder. The options i tried was 1> Generate a Class file using Javac 2> Converted the Class File to .srx file using "Javap -c <ClassFileName>" While importing the .srx file in Powerbuilder an error occurs "Import Failed. Possible Causes: Import file missing export header" Yes, the .srx doesn't have $PBExportHeader. How to generate a file with this criteria? If any other possible solution pls reply. Thanks, Kannan Hi. I'm also looking to see if I can do this. I found this ...

PowerBuilder - EAServer
Hi All, Good Morning, I need some information regarding EAServer. Using EAServer, PB application communicate with Java Application or is it usefull to migrate PB to Java? If not, is any way to migrate PB to Java application? Could you give me urls for tutorial and EAServer trail version? Advanced Thanks for yor help. Chaithu You can see the product manauls in http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.help.eas_6.0/title.htm > Hi All, > > Good Morning, > > I need some information regarding EAServer. Using EAServer > , PB applicat...

PowerBuilder to Java Dates
I'm sure that someone has encountered this before: I deployed an EJB to Jaguar. It includes a method that has two input parameters of java.util.Date. The deployment descriptor in Jaguar correctly displays this as having two parameters of type java.util.Date. Now, I go to my PowerBuilder IDE and generate a proxy for my EJB. The java.util.Date input parameters have been generated as PowerBuilder BLOB data types. So, how do I properly pass the dates needed from my PowerBuilder UI to my Java EJB method on the Jaguar server? Similar scenario presents itself with java.util.P...

Powerbuilder 2 Java
Hi All, How to import Java Class file to Powerbuilder. The options i tried was 1> Generate a Class file using Javac 2> Converted the Class File to .srx file using "Javap -c <ClassFileName>" While importing the .srx file in Powerbuilder an error occurs "Import Failed. Possible Causes: Import file missing export header" Yes, the .srx doesn't have $PBExportHeader. How to generate a file with this criteria? If any other possible solution pls reply. Thanks, Kannan This doens't quite make sense. What are you trying to do with that...

Calling Java from PowerBuilder
Can you invoke/call methods in Java classes from PowerBuilder, and if so how?? You have to wrap the Java class in COM object. For that, you can use tools from MS Java SDK or the ActiveX-Beans bridge from Sun. Check my Java How (URL below) in the General part 3 -> "Wrap a Java class in a COM object" for a simple example. Bye. -- Real Gagnon mailto:real.gagnon@tactika.com Quebec, Canada **** Java Javascript and PowerBuilder How-to **** http://www.tactika.com/realhome/ > Can you invoke/call methods in Java classes from > PowerBui...

PowerBuilder - EAServer
Hi All, Good Morning, I need some information regarding EAServer. Using EAServer, PB application communicate with Java Application or is it usefull to migrate PB to Java? If not, is any way to migrate PB to Java application? Could you give me urls for tutorial and EAServer trail version? Advanced Thanks for yor help. Chaithu Please see Mr. Horan's response in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general. Please try to avoid posting to multiple groups. -- John Strano - Sybase Technology Evangelist "Ms. Chaithu" <chaithanya.sw@gmail.com> wrote in messag...

Wrapping Java in PowerBuilder
Is there any way to wrap a Java class into a PowerBuilder Object? I would like to able to access Java from PowerBuilder. --mascha ...