How do YOU estimate the development time of a PB Application ? (Client/Server)

We have an old PB application ( and  the count of windows, datawindows,
nvo's, ...), and we want to estimate very roughly the time to rewrite it in
PB, based on those informations.
We don't have the time to analyse it with point of functions at this point.

I know some people have estimates ( gross) of the time to develop a window,
a dw, a nvo ,... I know it depends on the complexity, but I just want to
have your opinion, your estimate. The figures I have seen gives 1 week/dw,
which is exagerated in my Point of view, but what do you think of it ?

Thanks

Philip

0
Philip

Think of a number.  Double it.  Multiple my 5 and add 10%.  Then double it
again.
HTH
Simon

PS 1 week/dw?  I usually allow about an hour if it's very complex, 5 minutes
otherwise.

--
All views expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of
my employer

"Philip SIDGWICK" <philip.sidgwick@noemail.please> wrote in message
> We have an old PB application ( and  the count of windows, datawindows,
> nvo's, ...), and we want to estimate very roughly the time to rewrite it
in
> PB, based on those informations.
> We don't have the time to analyse it with point of functions at this
point.

> I know some people have estimates ( gross) of the time to develop a
window,
> a dw, a nvo ,... I know it depends on the complexity, but I just want to
> have your opinion, your estimate. The figures I have seen gives 1 week/dw,
> which is exagerated in my Point of view, but what do you think of it ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Philip

0
Simon
5/17/2002 10:15:05 AM
It's going to depend a lot on how complex the user interface is in terms of
inter-related fields, statefulness, business rules, etc, and also
controlling updates of related tables and other back end considerations.
Believe Simon when he says multiply by 5 - C/S development time is generally
40% design, 20% coding, 40% testing. If you don't do the design up front
it's 120% coding and 140% testing.

Philip SIDGWICK wrote in message ...
>We have an old PB application ( and  the count of windows, datawindows,
>nvo's, ...), and we want to estimate very roughly the time to rewrite it in
>PB, based on those informations.
>We don't have the time to analyse it with point of functions at this point.
>
>I know some people have estimates ( gross) of the time to develop a window,
>a dw, a nvo ,... I know it depends on the complexity, but I just want to
>have your opinion, your estimate. The figures I have seen gives 1 week/dw,
>which is exagerated in my Point of view, but what do you think of it ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Philip

0
Jerry
5/17/2002 2:25:10 PM
The complexity of the components play a large part but so does the
experience of the team members assigned to the project.  1 week/dw is an
extreme amount of time but might be appropriate if the developer was fresh
out of school using an older version of PB..

  Assuming you've got a mix of intermediate/advanced users, anywhere from
1h/dw to 1d/dw might be appropriate, again factoring in complexity...

  This is just too loose a question to answer properly...

P.
0
Philippe
5/21/2002 9:31:02 PM
You hire me to do it and forget about it <g>

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]
VP - Power3

"Philip SIDGWICK" <philip.sidgwick@noemail.please> wrote in message
> We have an old PB application ( and  the count of windows, datawindows,
> nvo's, ...), and we want to estimate very roughly the time to rewrite it
in
> PB, based on those informations.
> We don't have the time to analyse it with point of functions at this
point.

> I know some people have estimates ( gross) of the time to develop a
window,
> a dw, a nvo ,... I know it depends on the complexity, but I just want to
> have your opinion, your estimate. The figures I have seen gives 1 week/dw,
> which is exagerated in my Point of view, but what do you think of it ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Philip

0
Bill

Calling internet enabled PB application from Client Server PB Application
Is it possible to call a internet enabled PB application from a Client-Server PB app? (Just like the way using RUN function to run another app from PB app) Thx, Mahesh This newsgroup is for discussing enhancement requests for future versions of PowerBuilder. You will get a much more relevant reponse if you post in one of the other newsgroups, for example: powersoft.public.powerbuilder.distributed or powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general <Mahesh> wrote in message news:E66A29615A1F68F4006837D685256BC8.006837E685256BC8@webforums... > Is it possible to call a internet...

Calling internet enabled PB application from Client Server PB Application
Is it possible to call a internet enabled PB application from a Client-Server PB app? (Just like the way using RUN function to run another app from PB app) Thx, Mahesh If I understand you correctly, you can add teh Microsoft Internet Explorer ole object to a window and have it browse to the site housing the PB appliation just like it would to any other site. See this technote for details on browsing automatically etc. http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=47945 - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com) www.planetdx.com ...

Starting the server application and stopping the server application from the client application
Hi , How do I do it ? I want to start the server application from my client app. After all my jobs are over , when I disconnect from the server, I want to close the server application. Both the client and server applications will be running on the desktop under NT or win95 environment. If the client app is abc.exe and the server app is pqr.exe when the user starts the client app from his desktop, the client should start pqr.exe . Now after finishing all the process when the user closes the client, I want to disconnect from server and close the server pqr then close abc...

PowerBuilder client to other Application Servers?
Given an environment that has a mix of App servers, is it possible to access a WebShere bean directly from a PB client? TIA, Tim If you use a COM wrapper then you could do this from PowerBuilder. Or you could go PB->EAServer->Websphere. Any use of the connection object or the Jaguar ORB object to connect directly to an appserver other than EAServer is not supported. Jim O'Neil Sybase Technical Support On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:05:43 -0600, "Tim Nesham" <tim.nesham@born.com> wrote: >Given an environment that has a mix of App servers, is it...

Server Time || Client Time
Hi everyone, How to get Server time and Client time with ASP.NET script? Could any1 show me the script>? Thanks. * EverLearner * The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. Hi, HTML: <asp:label id="lblServerTime" runat="server">Label</asp:label> <span id="ClientTime"></span> Codebehind: private void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { lblServerTime.Text = "Setver Time: " + DateTime.Now.ToString(); RegisterStartupScript("ClientTime&quo...

PB Client and PB Server Example
Hi, I am looking for a good example of how to use a PowerBuilder NVO COM component in Jaguar 1.1, and access it from a Powerbuilder application using OLE Automation Server. Most of the documentation I find deals only with Java or C. Any examples or comments are appreciated, knowing other people have done this would even be helpful. Thanks, Therese Check out the following resources in order from the Dynamic Data Solutions web site: JaguarCTS Result Sets Using PowerBuilder Datastores http://www.dyn-data.com/ims/techzone/faq/faq_detail.stm?faq_id=5009 Creating and R...

One More PB 10 Wish List for Client/Server applications
Purpose: Continue to enhance PB and keep it the very best tool to build client-server applications. My purpose is not to hinder other extensions, but to continue to keep the customer base that has been loyal to PB through many versions. 1. A Rich Text Control that supports new versions of RTF and Word RTF 2. Better control on DW group headers (allow not to be repeated on each page option) 3. Fix WingDing font problem (since 9 beta 4) 4. Include (or header files) for global variables, global constants, and global external functions (conditional compiles #if var = 1 and #i...

connecting to sqlanywhere 5.0 server from client pb application.
Hello, I am using SQL Anywhere 5.0.01 build #451, with power builder 5.0.02. I have setup the server on an Windows NT Server 4.0 and am connecting using sql anywhere client on Windows 95. My problem is that trying to connect to the server from the client succeeds when i use sql central but fails when i connect using my pb application. I am using ODBC to connect from PB application. I have specified the servername correctly which is what i think the client requires to find the server ( it does not seem to require the hostname of the server). Further i find two EXEs for running th...

Closing an server application from client application
Hi, Any Help ? The way we start an application by a run function from powerbuilder ,like run ( clock.exe) How do I close the server application from the client application in distributed environment in powerbuilder ? Thanks Jeetu You would need to call a method on the server application, and the server application would need to close itself. On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:09:16 -0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.powerscript Jeetu <spani@hcltech.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Any Help ? > > The way we start an application by a run function from power...

How can I connect from DOS C++ client to PB application server ?
Hello All ! Does anybody know what kind of C library I can use for connect from DOS C++ (Watcom through TCP/IP) to PB6.51 Application server ? And what will be the ways of using of PROXY objects (their descriptions, methods using etc) in DOS C++ programm body ? Maybe anywhere can I find exmaples of it ? Best regards, Dmitri You might want to look at using Jaguar if you want to be able to access PB logic from DOS C++. -- Dean Jones, CPD Professional 6.0 Team Sybase PowerTeam, Inc. www.powerobjects.com dean@powerobjects.com ������� �������� wrote in message <4gWxT...

Sending email from PB 10.2 client/server application
I'm trying to use the standard PB Script functionality to send multiple emails from a client/server application (using PB 10.2). Each email will be sent with an attachment which is, in fact, the email recipient's bill and the process is a "bulk" process which processes thousands of bills so I need to have the ability to send off these multiple emails from within the program with NO user intervention and no automated intervention from Outlook or any other type of email client software. Can anyone help me with a solution to this without my having to purchase a 3rd part...

which architecture is the best for PB9 enterprise application? How about this : PB client + J2EE server + Database ?
Is Powerbuilder suitable for enterprise application? It's a problem.What's your opinion? This combination will work very well. -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] MySybase -- http://www.sybase.com/mysybase "liufeng" <liufeng118@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cj5$m8VCCHA.272@forums.sybase.com... > Is Powerbuilder suitable for enterprise application? It's a problem.What's > your opinion? > > Powerbuilder is not only suitable for an Enterprise application, but was actually designed to be used to develop ...

difference between a client-server application and a web application
Hello all,i have some trivial questions.can any one answer  the followingWhat is the difference between a client-server application and a web application ?what is the difference ,if any, between a virtual directory and web application.thanx Hi, and welcome to the asp.net forums.to start off, a client-server app is any application that interacts with a server, such as a windows form app that runs off of data stored in a database on a web server. A web app on the otherhand, is a "program" that may or may not contain server-side code, but it is an app that outputs html to be viewed thro...

PocketBuilder Application like a Client/Server Application
Hi: I need to create a PocketBuilder application like a Client/Server Application. is this possible? the connection with my database will be wireless. PocketBuilder with Oracle like a PowerBuilder with Oracle PocketBuilder it support this? Regards Carlos. PocketBuilder supports a wireless connection to a SQL Anywhere server, in which you can create proxy table/function defintions to access other databases. There are a number of existing threads on the topic here in the newsgroup, which you should be able to browse through using Google Groups. On 28 Jan 2006 10:51:56...

Web resources about - How do YOU estimate the development time of a PB Application ? (Client/Server) - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Doha Development Round - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Doha Development Round or Doha Development Agenda ( DDA ) is the current trade-negotiation round of the World Trade Organization (WTO) which ...

Flemington apartment development plan has serious issues: state architect
Plans for a sprawling high-rise apartment development on land at Flemington Racecourse &ndash; put forward by the Victoria Racing Club and a ...

3 Mobile Development Lessons to Take from LinkedIn’s New App Design
New app versions are born every day, but when a tech giant such as LinkedIn releases a new version of its mobile entity , the world pays extra ...

Watch 10 years of Toro Rosso F1 development in 60 seconds
Filed under: Motorsports , Videos Scuderia Toro Rosso released this fascinating video showing the evolution of its F1 cars over the past ten ...

Yahoo putting huge Santa Clara development site up for sale - Silicon Valley Business Journal
Amid turmoil at the once-mighty Internet giant, Yahoo is putting the word out that it will part with a valuable parcel of land in Santa Clara ...

Kobe Bryant praises Jae Crowder’s development with the Boston Celtics
Jae Crowder’s progression from spare part in Dallas to key player in Boston hasn’t gone unnoticed by Kobe Bryant

An Xbox One port of Subnautica is in development
... I can badger into playing just shot up. A few days ago, Unknown Worlds developer Charlie Cleveland tweeted out a photo of an Xbox One development ...

Digitimes Research: Korea pushing new in-cell touch panel developments
... has reached one micron level electronic linewidth used in roll-to-roll printing, which will help push Korean makers' in-cell touch panel developments ...

India's nuclear deal with Russia is a good development, but nowhere near enough
Narendra Modi's visit to Russia yielded 16 agreements ranging from defence, energy, space cooperation, manufacturing, and education. Of particular ...