Future of Powerbuilder

Hello Every one!!,

Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer
exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web dependendent.
I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of
Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now.

could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar
techonologies or should i get along with PB??

Please respond to me...
Thanks!!

Regards,
Dhawan.
0
Ramesh
11/18/1999 3:07:08 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 18 followers. Follow

8 Replies
775 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 53

It never hurts to expand your skillset by picking up new languages.
PowerBuilder is still going strong, Sybase has a renewed commitment to their
flagship development tool, and I see no signs of PB becoming obsolete in the
next few years.


Ramesh <rmdhawan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Eh2UVadM$GA.55@forums.sybase.com...
> Hello Every one!!,
>
> Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer
> exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web
dependendent.
> I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of
> Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now.
>
> could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar
> techonologies or should i get along with PB??
>
> Please respond to me...
> Thanks!!
>
> Regards,
> Dhawan.


0
Larry
11/18/1999 5:45:59 PM
How about Delphi ?

Ramesh <rmdhawan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Eh2UVadM$GA.55@forums.sybase.com...
> Hello Every one!!,
>
> Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer
> exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web
dependendent.
> I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of
> Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now.
>
> could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar
> techonologies or should i get along with PB??
>
> Please respond to me...
> Thanks!!
>
> Regards,
> Dhawan.


0
Asikin
11/18/1999 7:08:50 PM
Actually, a nice strategy for your job skills might be to learn EAServer.  This
leverages your PB skills (components can be written in PB and/or Java) and
provides an inroad to Java and distributed applications.  Also, since these
technologies work with Microsoft Internet Server and Active Server Pages, you
can broaden yourself there as well.  EAServer is becoming a more popular choice
for professional multi-tier and web applications.

regards



On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 02:08:50 +0700,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general
Asikin <erlies@centrin.net.id> wrote: 
>How about Delphi ?
>
>Ramesh <rmdhawan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:Eh2UVadM$GA.55@forums.sybase.com...
>> Hello Every one!!,
>>
>> Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer
>> exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web
>dependendent.
>> I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of
>> Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now.
>>
>> could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar
>> techonologies or should i get along with PB??
>>
>> Please respond to me...
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dhawan.
>
>
0
Ray
11/18/1999 9:38:07 PM
In article <Eh2UVadM$GA.55@forums.sybase.com>, rmdhawan@hotmail.com 
says...
> Hello Every one!!,
> 
> Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer
> exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web dependendent.
> I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of
> Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now.
> 
> could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar
> techonologies or should i get along with PB??
> 

Dhawn - 

I personally do not see everythign moving to the Web. There is still a 
need for traditional apps. These apps may be distributed and therefore 
you should learn EAServer or learn about app servers in general. This 
will become a big part. 

In short, I think PB will be around for awhile. You are also able to 
create Web apps using PB/Powersite/EAServer. So that should cover the 
other apps you need to do as well.

Mark

-- 

Mark J. Pfeifer[TeamSybase]		Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
mpfeifer @ sprynet.com		   Emerging Technology Solutions
					         www.ctpartners.com

                          e-Map Solutions Provider
0
see_msg
11/21/1999 10:24:11 PM
Over the past year I've gone from a full time PB programmer to a full time
M$ programmer. Along the way I learned MTS,ADO,COM, XML, ASP,Active
Directory to name a few. There has been no shortage of new projects using
these techs.

That said I don't think PB will be disappearing any time soon. There is
still a pretty entrenched install base out there for PB and it's still a
good tool for client server apps.

I think any web related technology is a good thing to know right now. There
are a lot of shops implementing java business infrastructures with COM
wrappers. XML is also not to be ignored.

Rich M

Ramesh <rmdhawan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Eh2UVadM$GA.55@forums.sybase.com...
> Hello Every one!!,
>
> Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer
> exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web
dependendent.
> I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of
> Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now.
>
> could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar
> techonologies or should i get along with PB??
>
> Please respond to me...
> Thanks!!
>
> Regards,
> Dhawan.


0
Rich
11/22/1999 5:15:03 PM
In article <QwrR50QN$GA.311@forums.sybase.com>, rmorrison@greystone.com 
says...
> Over the past year I've gone from a full time PB programmer to a full time
> M$ programmer. Along the way I learned MTS,ADO,COM, XML, ASP,Active
> Directory to name a few. There has been no shortage of new projects using
> these techs.
> 
> That said I don't think PB will be disappearing any time soon. There is
> still a pretty entrenched install base out there for PB and it's still a
> good tool for client server apps.
> 
> I think any web related technology is a good thing to know right now. There
> are a lot of shops implementing java business infrastructures with COM
> wrappers. XML is also not to be ignored.

XML is important. Especially if you are going to do EJB work.

Mark

-- 

Mark J. Pfeifer[TeamSybase]		Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
mpfeifer @ sprynet.com		   Emerging Technology Solutions
					         www.ctpartners.com

                          e-Map Solutions Provider
0
see_msg
11/23/1999 3:21:23 AM
Has there been any rumors about whether PowerSoft will add XML support to PB
similar to the way Get/SetFullState work?

-Charles

Mark J. Pfeifer[TeamSybase] wrote:

> In article <QwrR50QN$GA.311@forums.sybase.com>, rmorrison@greystone.com
> says...
> > Over the past year I've gone from a full time PB programmer to a full time
> > M$ programmer. Along the way I learned MTS,ADO,COM, XML, ASP,Active
> > Directory to name a few. There has been no shortage of new projects using
> > these techs.
> >
> > That said I don't think PB will be disappearing any time soon. There is
> > still a pretty entrenched install base out there for PB and it's still a
> > good tool for client server apps.
> >
> > I think any web related technology is a good thing to know right now. There
> > are a lot of shops implementing java business infrastructures with COM
> > wrappers. XML is also not to be ignored.
>
> XML is important. Especially if you are going to do EJB work.
>
> Mark
>
> --
>
> Mark J. Pfeifer[TeamSybase]             Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
> mpfeifer @ sprynet.com             Emerging Technology Solutions
>                                                  www.ctpartners.com
>
>                           e-Map Solutions Provider



0
Charles
11/29/1999 8:48:43 PM
The general session at TechWave '99 mentioned this as a natural step in the
evolution of the datawindow, however, this was never confirmed as a planned
feature.

---
pbm_hopethishelps,
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://www.sybase.com/sdn


On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:48:43 -0600,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general
Charles Ginzel <cginzel@entergy.com> wrote: 
>Has there been any rumors about whether PowerSoft will add XML support to PB
>similar to the way Get/SetFullState work?
>
>-Charles
>
>Mark J. Pfeifer[TeamSybase] wrote:
>
>> In article <QwrR50QN$GA.311@forums.sybase.com>, rmorrison@greystone.com
>> says...
>> > Over the past year I've gone from a full time PB programmer to a full time
>> > M$ programmer. Along the way I learned MTS,ADO,COM, XML, ASP,Active
>> > Directory to name a few. There has been no shortage of new projects using
>> > these techs.
>> >
>> > That said I don't think PB will be disappearing any time soon. There is
>> > still a pretty entrenched install base out there for PB and it's still a
>> > good tool for client server apps.
>> >
>> > I think any web related technology is a good thing to know right now. There
>> > are a lot of shops implementing java business infrastructures with COM
>> > wrappers. XML is also not to be ignored.
>>
>> XML is important. Especially if you are going to do EJB work.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark J. Pfeifer[TeamSybase]             Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
>> mpfeifer @ sprynet.com             Emerging Technology Solutions
>>                                                  www.ctpartners.com
>>
>>                           e-Map Solutions Provider
>
>
>
0
Roy
11/29/1999 9:04:30 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

The future of PowerBuilder...
That subject line should get your attention. <g> I'm very pleased with the participation in this group. We've obviously provided a well for a very thirsty group of developers! As you may or may not know, PB 9 is about to go into Beta and the feature set has pretty much been frozen. I know a lot of these requests are for very useful features and hopefully many will some day be incorporated into PB. I don't know what can be done for PB 9 at this point. Just don't want to falsely get people's hopes up. What I would like to do, is raise the discussion to a h...

The future of Powerbuilder
I am looking for opinions and viewpoints. I think Powerbuilder has 2 distinct and quite different markets. The small to medium sized software market and corporate IT market. In the software market where results are easy to measure on the bottom line I think PB is doing just fine. The productivity, efficiency and swift development process suites that market just fine. Just keep your customers happy. I am amazed at what I have seen in PB based software packages considering the total lack of documentation. That speaks volume on the capabilities of PB if you just get into it. O...

PowerBuilder future
I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following: According to Chen the company had become over-diversified, and lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP consulting business - what for? We had a product that competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to get rid of some bits and pieces." In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have competed with VB is...

The Future of PowerBuilder
Hello! Earlier this year, I came across an article in one of the weekly industry newspapers that stated that Sybase was telling major customers that PowerBuilder will be discontinued after version 8.0. (I can't remember which newspaper had the story and I can't seem locate it by doing a Google search. But I'm not making this up - I really did see it.) At the PowerBuilder Information Site ( www.justpbinfo.com ) I came across the following article: ------------------------------------------------ The Future of PowerBuilder Is there life after PowerBuilder 8? Rum...

POWERBUILDER FUTURE?
i am in Powerbuilder for past 4 Years.....currently i am in india. But my projects are in my last 4 years almost maintenance & migration to advanced techniques...almost zero development and the sad news is ,powerbuilder developers are very less when compared to advance techniques... u know the PB versions are also coming yearly once & introducing new concepts also almost not useful(i discussed with lot of PB developers almost they are not using the advance techniques) so everybody is going slowly out of PB technology... In india last few years Pb usage is re...

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10
Hi all We have migrated our application from powerbuilder 5 to powerbuilder 10. after migration to version 10, alignment in most of reports disturbed. please advice me some solution. On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:45:01 +0100, Adnan Jamil <adnanjamil@nji.com.pk> wrote: > Hi all > > We have migrated our application from powerbuilder 5 to powerbuilder 10. > after migration to version 10, alignment in most of reports disturbed. > please advice me some solution. Adnan, Is this a SQL Anywhere question? If not, you have posted to the wrong forum. If yes,...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder
We use PB6.5. We would want to use a DLL create from PB in a PB application. We compiled an a PBL as DLL. After we tried to use DLL in a user object external, but without success. How can we do to use DLL create from PB or use in a new PB application some object (visual and no) before compiled with PB? Any help will be appreciated. Saul.Convalle@mail.cec.it Thanks When you create a DLL from a PB library it is not really a standard Windows DLL. I'm not sure what the difference is. If you are making calls from PB then just use the standard PB calling syntax the ...

Migrating PowerBuilder 8 to Powerbuilder 11
Hi, I am migrating a PFC based Powerbuilder 8 App. to PowerBuilder 11, I am getting errors like illegal data type. for a NVO n_cst_platformwin32 i am getting a syntax error, its not allowing me to open that object. Requesting your help thanks & regards Vimal Sanghvi If you're object (or any related object) failed to migrate successfully, you won't be able to edit it in a regular painter; you'll have to Edit Source to modify it. If you're migrating, a glance through my Migration Guide (see below) may help. The methodology there would allow you to identify...

Upgrade to PowerBuilder 9 or PowerBuilder 10?
Hi, Our company is going to upgrade PowerBuilder. Currently we are using version 7, and we are going to upgrade either to version 9 or 10. Does anyone have any recommendations if we should go for version 9 or 10? What is the current release of version 10, and is it stable or is there a lot of bugs? Best regards, Ronald Ommundsen e-mail: ronald.ommundsen@gard.no Ron; If you have any hope of running the applications in the future on XP, W2003 or soon to be W2006 (LongHorn) you will have to jump over to UniCode - ie PB10. So personally, I would recommend starting with P...

The future of powerbuilder #3
Hi, all I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what is the future of PowerBuilder? Thanks "Taoge" <luxiaotao@hotmail.com> wrote: > I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems > powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what > is the future of PowerBuilder? http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future/powerbuilder_s_future.html Dmitri. Dmitri, do You like the ...

Powerbuilder
Hi all, I am probably not suppose to be asking this question here but I have been unable to get into the beta news groups and we are getting a little frazzled. Can anyone give us an example of a Jaquar NVO component using a connection pool. We are trying to sync a datastore on easerver with a datawindow and cannot establish a connection through the pool on easerver. We are able to execute a method to insert a row and sync. If that means anything. Thanks Den We are using PB7.0 and EAServer3.0 betas on NT Since the beta's well over and the product is about to be shipped, ...

Future of IT and place for PowerBuilder???
Hi all: As you know, we've gone through many changes in IT: 1. Mainframe Computing 2. Client Server 3. Distributed (3-Tier) 4. Distributed (N-Tier/Web) Given the fact that there's a possibility of great improvements in network speeds and improved deployment methods, which of the following in your opinion would become popular? 1. Thin-client, multi-tier, non-browser based technology become popular (and hence boost PB market???) 2. Thin-client, multi-tier, browser-based web-technology (featuring rich-client look) (and consequently PowerBuilder would evolve into a web...

Web resources about - Future of Powerbuilder - sybase.powerbuilder.general

PowerBuilder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PowerBuilder is an integrated development environment owned by Sybase , a division of SAP . It has been in use since 1991, peaking around 1998 ...

Sybase PowerBuilder tool readied for Microsoft's .Net
... Win32 or newer style .Net development After several years of work, Sybase is ready to deliver on the final step in its plan to move PowerBuilder ...

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

Open Directory - Computers: Programming: Languages
about dmoz - dmoz blog - report abuse/spam - help the entire directory only in Programming/Languages Description Top : Computers : Programming ...

The HP Booth Staff (Goons) Owe Me an Apology
... when you might need to use it. For instance, when I was in the WinRunner world there were plugins for driving terminal emulators and powerbuilder ...

Contact Us - Sybase Inc
Thanks for visiting the 主页 section of Sybase.com. Here you will find information about Contact Us. For more information about Business Intelligence, ...

热门搜索 - 我的异常网
... 我的异常网 » 热门搜索 sdpnet2 移动【A111】其它用户原因鉴权失败,是什么意思啊 http:// 192.168.1.102:22578 本网站服务器位于美国,受美国法律保护 MiniUI js 破解 http://192.168.1.103:8080/ powerbuilder ...

Mobile app security: Always keep the back door locked
The best way to keep mobile apps safe is to secure the services they connect to.

10 Tech Skills That Will Instantly Net You A $100,000+ Salary
... that let's developers run Java applications. Java is highly popular language for writing web apps and custom enterprise apps. No. 8: PowerBuilder ...

Top Ranked Articles
Top Ranked Articles - Free source code and tutorials for Software developers and Architects.; Updated: 23 Feb 2013

Resources last updated: 1/16/2016 10:24:28 AM