Experiences with PB 6.5.1 vs. PB 6.5.0

Any people run into any problems with 6.5.1 (+ EBF 1163)
that were not there in vanilla 6.5.0.

We have to migrate very late in the game (1 week before going live!)
due to problems with 6.5.0 Oracle drivers and I would appreciate
any advice on anything that got broken in that release.

TIA,

Jacek Furmankiewicz
STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com

Jacek

6.51 introduces a peculiar side effect during update() of  datawindow -
scrolls the datawindow to the first row.

BTW, what is it with Oracle drivers that forces you to go to 6.51 - sounds
fishy...

--
pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp :-))

"Jacek Furmankiewicz" <jfurmankiewicz@stssystems.com> wrote in message
> Any people run into any problems with 6.5.1 (+ EBF 1163)
> that were not there in vanilla 6.5.0.
>
> We have to migrate very late in the game (1 week before going live!)
> due to problems with 6.5.0 Oracle drivers and I would appreciate
> any advice on anything that got broken in that release.
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> Jacek Furmankiewicz
> STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com

Philip
3/22/2000 10:12:05 PM

> BTW, what is it with Oracle drivers that forces you to go to 6.51 - sounds
> fishy...

We needed support for Oracle 8, so I started using the OR8 driver that
comes with PB 6.5. It turns out it had a bug whereas it would send
a column consisting of a single space (i.e. ' ') as a NULL, and it so
happened this column does not allow nulls. It worked just fine with O73.

Unfortunately, all the new OR8 and O84 drivers require PB 6.5.1,
so here we are now...boo hoo hoo...and I really liked 6.5.0 - we've been
using it for a year and it was the most rock-solid release of PB ever
(minus some menu GPFs when switching items visible/invisible, but we
had workarounds for those)...

Jacek Furmankiewicz
STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com

Jacek
3/22/2000 10:23:09 PM
And what feature of Oracle8 are you planning to "support", that you can not
support using 073 driver?

--

> > BTW, what is it with Oracle drivers that forces you to go to 6.51 -
sounds
> > fishy...
> >

> We needed support for Oracle 8, so I started using the OR8 driver that
> comes with PB 6.5. It turns out it had a bug whereas it would send
> a column consisting of a single space (i.e. ' ') as a NULL, and it so
> happened this column does not allow nulls. It worked just fine with O73.
>
> Unfortunately, all the new OR8 and O84 drivers require PB 6.5.1,
> so here we are now...boo hoo hoo...and I really liked 6.5.0 - we've been
> using it for a year and it was the most rock-solid release of PB ever
> (minus some menu GPFs when switching items visible/invisible, but we
> had workarounds for those)...

> Jacek Furmankiewicz
> STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com

Philip
3/22/2000 10:33:52 PM
None in particular.

We were just having problems at some client sites connecting to
Oracle 8 servers via SQLNet 8.0.5 using the O73 driver.

I do the same on my PC no problem, but it did not work for a client
and after asking a few questions on this forum a few people told me
that the PB drivers ARE dependent sometimes on the version of
SQLnet you're using and might not work across the board.

Jacek

Philip Salgannik <psalgannik@softrax.com> wrote in message
> And what feature of Oracle8 are you planning to "support", that you can
not
> support using 073 driver?
>
> --
> pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp :-))
>
> "Jacek Furmankiewicz" <jfurmankiewicz@stssystems.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > BTW, what is it with Oracle drivers that forces you to go to 6.51 -
> sounds
> > > fishy...
> > >

> > We needed support for Oracle 8, so I started using the OR8 driver that
> > comes with PB 6.5. It turns out it had a bug whereas it would send
> > a column consisting of a single space (i.e. ' ') as a NULL, and it so
> > happened this column does not allow nulls. It worked just fine with O73.
> >
> > Unfortunately, all the new OR8 and O84 drivers require PB 6.5.1,
> > so here we are now...boo hoo hoo...and I really liked 6.5.0 - we've been
> > using it for a year and it was the most rock-solid release of PB ever
> > (minus some menu GPFs when switching items visible/invisible, but we
> > had workarounds for those)...

> > Jacek Furmankiewicz
> > STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com

Jacek
3/22/2000 10:37:18 PM
So there is no real reason to go to 6.5.1 based on what you are telling me
:-))

One one hand it's unconfirmed rumours about incompatabilities between PB's
073 driver and Net 8.05, on the other hand it's confirmed bugs in 6.51 AND
in 8.x drivers...  :-))

--

> None in particular.
>
> We were just having problems at some client sites connecting to
> Oracle 8 servers via SQLNet 8.0.5 using the O73 driver.
>
> I do the same on my PC no problem, but it did not work for a client
> and after asking a few questions on this forum a few people told me
> that the PB drivers ARE dependent sometimes on the version of
> SQLnet you're using and might not work across the board.
>
> Jacek
>
> --
> Jacek Furmankiewicz
> STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com
> Philip Salgannik <psalgannik@softrax.com> wrote in message
> > And what feature of Oracle8 are you planning to "support", that you can
> not
> > support using 073 driver?
> >
> > --
> > pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp :-))
> >
> > "Jacek Furmankiewicz" <jfurmankiewicz@stssystems.com> wrote in message

> > sounds
> > > >

> > > We needed support for Oracle 8, so I started using the OR8 driver that
> > > comes with PB 6.5. It turns out it had a bug whereas it would send
> > > a column consisting of a single space (i.e. ' ') as a NULL, and it so
> > > happened this column does not allow nulls. It worked just fine with
O73.

> > > Unfortunately, all the new OR8 and O84 drivers require PB 6.5.1,
> > > so here we are now...boo hoo hoo...and I really liked 6.5.0 - we've
been
> > > using it for a year and it was the most rock-solid release of PB ever
> > > (minus some menu GPFs when switching items visible/invisible, but we
> > > had workarounds for those)...

> > > Jacek Furmankiewicz
> > > STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com

Philip
3/22/2000 10:53:36 PM
I have a client with Net 8. A different application from a different vendor
(probably in a different language than PB) connect to an Oracle 8 server no
problem

Our app using Oracle 7.3 drivers cannot connect to the same server from the
same PC.

Have you got any alternative suggestions besides adding support for Oracle 8
drivers?
I don't.

> So there is no real reason to go to 6.5.1 based on what you are telling me
> :-))
>
> One one hand it's unconfirmed rumours about incompatabilities between PB's
> 073 driver and Net 8.05, on the other hand it's confirmed bugs in 6.51 AND
> in 8.x drivers...  :-))
>
> --
> pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp :-))
>
> "Jacek Furmankiewicz" <jfurmankiewicz@stssystems.com> wrote in message
> > None in particular.
> >
> > We were just having problems at some client sites connecting to
> > Oracle 8 servers via SQLNet 8.0.5 using the O73 driver.
> >
> > I do the same on my PC no problem, but it did not work for a client
> > and after asking a few questions on this forum a few people told me
> > that the PB drivers ARE dependent sometimes on the version of
> > SQLnet you're using and might not work across the board.
> >
> > Jacek
> >
> > --
> > Jacek Furmankiewicz
> > STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com
> > Philip Salgannik <psalgannik@softrax.com> wrote in message
> > > And what feature of Oracle8 are you planning to "support", that you
can
> > not
> > > support using 073 driver?
> > >
> > > --
> > > pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp :-))
> > >
> > > "Jacek Furmankiewicz" <jfurmankiewicz@stssystems.com> wrote in message

> > > sounds

> O73.

> been

Jacek
3/23/2000 3:04:23 PM
We ran into a huge problem with our menus during PB 6.5.1 testing.  Our
menus are build dynamically from tables and they stopped working with PB
6.5.1.  We had to change many cases of menu.Visible = TRUE/FALSE to
menu.Show() and menu.Hide().

However this was the only major problem we ran into.

-- Paul

0
Paul
3/23/2000 3:45:40 PM
I think that was a problem already in 6.5.0 - we had menu GPFs as well
when making items visible/invisible.

I can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet in 6.5.1 (nearly a year later).

Paul Lefebvre <plefebvre@imany.com> wrote in message
> We ran into a huge problem with our menus during PB 6.5.1 testing.  Our
> menus are build dynamically from tables and they stopped working with PB
> 6.5.1.  We had to change many cases of menu.Visible = TRUE/FALSE to
> menu.Show() and menu.Hide().
>
> However this was the only major problem we ran into.
>
> -- Paul

0
Jacek
3/23/2000 4:33:36 PM
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1000904

--

> I think that was a problem already in 6.5.0 - we had menu GPFs as well
> when making items visible/invisible.
>
> I can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet in 6.5.1 (nearly a year later).
>
> --
> Jacek Furmankiewicz
> STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com
> Paul Lefebvre <plefebvre@imany.com> wrote in message
> > We ran into a huge problem with our menus during PB 6.5.1 testing.  Our
> > menus are build dynamically from tables and they stopped working with PB
> > 6.5.1.  We had to change many cases of menu.Visible = TRUE/FALSE to
> > menu.Show() and menu.Hide().
> >
> > However this was the only major problem we ran into.
> >
> > -- Paul

0
Philip
3/23/2000 11:02:02 PM
Cool, good to see that's out of the way. That was pretty much the only
major problem we encountered with 6.5.0, which from my experience
(since PB 4) was the most stable release ever for PB.

> http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1000904
>
> --
> pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp :-))
>
> "Jacek Furmankiewicz" <jfurmankiewicz@stssystems.com> wrote in message
> > I think that was a problem already in 6.5.0 - we had menu GPFs as well
> > when making items visible/invisible.
> >
> > I can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet in 6.5.1 (nearly a year later).
> >
> > --
> > Jacek Furmankiewicz
> > STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com
> > Paul Lefebvre <plefebvre@imany.com> wrote in message
> > > We ran into a huge problem with our menus during PB 6.5.1 testing.
Our
> > > menus are build dynamically from tables and they stopped working with
PB
> > > 6.5.1.  We had to change many cases of menu.Visible = TRUE/FALSE to
> > > menu.Show() and menu.Hide().
> > >
> > > However this was the only major problem we ran into.
> > >
> > > -- Paul

0
Jacek
3/23/2000 11:13:40 PM
PMFJI, but password aging is an important one.

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:33:52 -0500,
Philip Salgannik <psalgannik@softrax.com> wrote:
>And what feature of Oracle8 are you planning to "support", that you can not
>support using 073 driver?
>
>--
>pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp :-))
>
>"Jacek Furmankiewicz" <jfurmankiewicz@stssystems.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > BTW, what is it with Oracle drivers that forces you to go to 6.51 -
>sounds
>> > fishy...
>> >

>> We needed support for Oracle 8, so I started using the OR8 driver that
>> comes with PB 6.5. It turns out it had a bug whereas it would send
>> a column consisting of a single space (i.e. ' ') as a NULL, and it so
>> happened this column does not allow nulls. It worked just fine with O73.
>>
>> Unfortunately, all the new OR8 and O84 drivers require PB 6.5.1,
>> so here we are now...boo hoo hoo...and I really liked 6.5.0 - we've been
>> using it for a year and it was the most rock-solid release of PB ever
>> (minus some menu GPFs when switching items visible/invisible, but we
>> had workarounds for those)...

>> Jacek Furmankiewicz
>> STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com

---
Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@teamsybase.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.kidbrothers.org                | http://www.fccwc.org
http://www.harvest.org/knowgod/index.htm  | http://www.needhim.org

Bruce
3/24/2000 12:32:16 AM
I was not trying to downplay new Oracle 8 features, was just wondering what
is driving the urge to use 8.0x drivers...

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
wrote in message news:ls18nhSl$GA.298@forums.sybase.com...
> PMFJI, but password aging is an important one.
>
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:33:52 -0500,
>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general
> Philip Salgannik <psalgannik@softrax.com> wrote:
> >And what feature of Oracle8 are you planning to "support", that you can
not
> >support using 073 driver?
> >
> >--
> >pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp :-))
> >
> >"Jacek Furmankiewicz" <jfurmankiewicz@stssystems.com> wrote in message

> >sounds
> >> >

> >> We needed support for Oracle 8, so I started using the OR8 driver that
> >> comes with PB 6.5. It turns out it had a bug whereas it would send
> >> a column consisting of a single space (i.e. ' ') as a NULL, and it so
> >> happened this column does not allow nulls. It worked just fine with
O73.

> >> Unfortunately, all the new OR8 and O84 drivers require PB 6.5.1,
> >> so here we are now...boo hoo hoo...and I really liked 6.5.0 - we've
been
> >> using it for a year and it was the most rock-solid release of PB ever
> >> (minus some menu GPFs when switching items visible/invisible, but we
> >> had workarounds for those)...

> >> Jacek Furmankiewicz
> >> STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com
> >>

> ---
> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@teamsybase.com
>
> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of
Assisi]
> http://www.kidbrothers.org                | http://www.fccwc.org
> http://www.harvest.org/knowgod/index.htm  | http://www.needhim.org

Philip
3/24/2000 2:33:59 AM
Received just this message:

--------------------------------------
Subject:
        [PowerBuilder-News] PowerBuilder 6.5x/Oracle 8.0.4 Native Driver
Update
   Date:
        Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:07:51 +0100
   From:
        "Mirko Pawlak" <mirko.pawlak@pawlak-net.de>
     To:
        powerbuilder-germany@eGroups.com

PowerBuilder 6.5x/Oracle 8.0.4 Native Driver Update (PBO8460.DLL) is
available at:

ftp://psaftp.sybase.com/pub/private/pbpatch/pb65_weekly/o84new/pbo8460.zip

This zip file includes the 32-bit pbo8460.dll from the latest
PowerBuilder 6.5x EBF (Emergency Bug Fix) build and a readme.txt file,
which includes important requirements for using this EBF as well as
support and installation information.

mfg

Mirko Pawlak
-----------------------
0
Thomas
3/24/2000 8:43:26 AM
I didn't take it as downplaying the features.  I was just contributing one that
I know is a driver for moving to Net8 for a lot of my clients.  (Were using
Oracle8 but still at SQL*NET 2.3 until we get some of the Net8 issues resolved).

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 21:33:59 -0500,
Philip Salgannik <NOSPAM_philena@rcn.com> wrote:
>I was not trying to downplay new Oracle 8 features, was just wondering what
>is driving the urge to use 8.0x drivers...

---
Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@teamsybase.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.kidbrothers.org                | http://www.fccwc.org
http://www.harvest.org/knowgod/index.htm  | http://www.needhim.org

Bruce

PB 6.5.0 vs PB 6.5.1 with datastores
Hi all, I began developing a large application using PB 6.5.0 several months ago. For various reasons, we had to migrate the code to 6.5.1. After performing some recursion testing, we noticed that many operations involving datastores ( create, insert rows, update, destroy ) began generating random GPF/Page Faults. The code itself hasn't changed and was verified in PB 6.5.0 via extensive testing. This is a hard one to pinpoint since the crashing is somewhat random. I've read some posts that indicate that certain dot notation can be problematic. All objects were fully rebuilt...

Can the PB 6.5 or 6.5.1 maintenance release be ran on PB 6.0
Yes. ...

What to upgrade my PB 6.5 to PB 6.5.1 ?
What to upgrade my PB 6.5 to PB 6.5.1 ? What file I can download and Where is this file ? thanks http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001286 On Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:03:18 +0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.database Netvigator <kevinlcw@ctimail.com> wrote: >What to upgrade my PB 6.5 to PB 6.5.1 ? What file I can download and Where >is this file ? > >thanks > > --- Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] | Romac/Source International mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@teamsybase.com | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com ...

What to upgrade my PB 6.5 to PB 6.5.1 ?
What to upgrade my PB 6.5 to PB 6.5.1 ? Where I can donwload the upgrade pack ? thanks Go to http://support.sybase.com select Software Distribution, log on, select Powerbuilder and then pick PB 6.5.1 maintenance patch. Harpreet Netvigator wrote in message ... >What to upgrade my PB 6.5 to PB 6.5.1 ? Where I can donwload the upgrade >pack ? > >thanks > > Go to Sybase Developers Network (http://www.sybase.com/sdn) and look for the patches link. Good luck, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:02:22 +0800, &quo...

Oracle Client 8.1.7
Hi all, I have a question about compatibility between PB native driver and oracle sql*net for different versions of Power Builder. We have 3 applications developed in 3 different versions of Power Builder: 5.00.0.0, 6.5.1.620 and 7.0.10047 All of them are using the Oracle Client 8.1.6 and accessing via PB Native Driver to Oracle. Although this is combination is not supported, the person in charge of the PB part tested this combination and decided to upgrade the oracle client from version 7.3.X to 8.1.6. So far it is working properly for us. Now, if it is decided to move to ora...

PB 7.0 or PB 6.5 or PB 6.0 or PB5.04

[MIGRATION QUESTION] PB 6.5.1 vs PB 8.0.1
Hi everyone, i have a question : We have developped a startegic application for one of our customer. We've developped it using PB 6.5.1 (on Windows NT 4.0) we plan to migrate this application to PB 8.0.1. Does anyone have heard about particuliar problems about PB 8 ? What is your opinion about this new version ? It seems to be faster... Is it stable enough w/ OCXs, etc ? Thanks in advance for any answer ! best regards, Guillaume MAISON In Sybase.Public.EAServer.PowerBuilder I answered another question regarding PB4 to PB8. See that posting for further detai...

Migration from PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5.1
Hi, Anybody have experience in migrating PB application from 5.0.04 to 6.5.1? Is it a easy stuff, or we need to modify a lot for the migration? For the installation of PB 6.5.1, do I need to install 6.0, then 6.5, and then 6.5.1, and then 6.5.1 EBF, or I can start in the mid-way? Is there any performance gain (or loss) for 6.5.1 vs 5.0? Thanks in advance ...Andrew 11Jan2000 The migration should be straightforward. Back up your PB 5.0.04 source, run the migration once and note the errors, warnings, etc... that are generated from the migration. Fix those in your backed ...

Microsoft SQL Server 6.x (PB 6.5) VS ODBC (PB 10.5) ...
Hi everybody, After migrating my application from PB 6.5 which uses Microsoft SQL Server 6.x as a DB connection and having to set up ODBC for PB 10.5 I am getting the following error: "SQLSTATE = 22005, Invalid character value for cast specification" This happen for absolutely every single dw that is created based on an Store Procedure. What could be happening? How can I fix this? Thank you, Gabriela ...

Migrate PB 6.5.1, PFC and Cornerstone 6.5 to Powerbuilder 7.
Hello! I am now working with PB 6.5.1, PFC 6.5 and Cornerstone 6.5. What is best way to go: Migrate whole application including PFC*.PBL 6.5 to 7 or replace PFC*.PBL from 6.5 with PFC*.PBL 7.0 or ...? Any documents, links or readings about how to eliminate Cornerstone and only use PFC? Thank you for your help /Gunnar Nyberg Ericsson Sweden ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Why would you want to do that? You do have the source to Cornerstone, right? Or did they distribute their framework only as PBDs? ...

Running PB 6.5.1 on Localized Deployment Kit of 6.5.0
Hi, Because the Localized Deployment Kit for PB 6.5.1 is not yet available (am I wrong?), I'am planning to build my application (EXE + PBDs) on PB 6.5.1 and then use the �old� Localized Deployment Kit of PB 6.5.0 to execute it. Does someone already try it? Do you think it will work? TIA, Claude Charest Claude, I would not recommend this... I've done it in the past and have had (seemingly) random GPFs and "Internal PowerBuilder Error, contact Sybase" errors. If you decide to do this, test, test, test and then test some more. HTH, Greg -- ______...

PB 5.0.04 vs PB 6.5.444 behavior difference
I found a difference between the two versions of PB. This is a difference that doesn't cause a compile or runtime error but the line of code fails to work as expected. :( In PB 5.0.04 the code is: il_secure_facs = icc_multi.of_facility_get_secure_facs( this ).fac_urn Where icc_multi.of_facility_get_secure_facs( this ) returns a structure that has been created in the structure painter (not an object structure) What I found is that in PB 6.5.444 the code fails to return the structure and also there is no compile or runtime error to indicate a problem. The workaro...

Can PB 5.0, 6.0, and 6.5 Coexist
I currently support a couple of PB5.0 applications and I am looking to upgrade them to PB 6 or 6.5. I read the 6.5 documentation that said you need to remove all previous versions of PB before installing. I would like to have 5.0 and 6.0 or 6.5 coexist so that I can still support the old application while I work the 6.5 to learn and study the upgrade. So, can they co-exist and what problems might I run into? Thanks , Doug I have PB5 16-bit, (5.03), PB5 32-bit (PB5.04), PB6.5 and PB7 on the same machine - They live in different worlds. Make sure you keep backups of code and main...

Web resources about - Experiences with PB 6.5.1 vs. PB 6.5.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Total Experience Records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... studio, launching his production company, and met the Wilson brothers through a friend, singer D. J. Rogers . After signing Total Experience ...

Brumbies young guns Nick Jooste and Joe Powell looking to tap into Super Rugby experience
Young guns hoping to establish themselves long term at the Super Rugby club.

Microsoft makes upgrading to Windows 10 a smoother experience for Windows 7 and 8.1 users
... description says: This update enables support for additional upgrade scenarios from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and provides a smoother experience ...

Lupita Nyong’o: The Star Wars universe ‘is made for a multicultural experience’
... the universe on its head. By very nature and with all sorts of creatures, it is, I think, a universe that is made for a multicultural experience.” ...

Complete PlayStation Experience schedule revealed
Here's when the keynote address begins and also the Uncharted 4, Street Fighter 5, and Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 panels.

4 Tips to Improve WordPress Blog for SEO and the User Experience
... to weave in SEO best practices into the structural fabric of a website. Search Engine Optimization is essential for a seamless user experience, ...

In Paris, Obama Says That Only The US Experiences Mass Shootings
In Paris, Obama Says That Only The US Experiences Mass Shootings

PlayStation Experience is this weekend
Oh, hey, PlayStation Experience starts tomorrow. The full livestreaming schedule isn't up yet, for those of us watching from home, but Sony ...

The 'Star Wars' VR experience for Google Cardboard is here
The Star Wars hype machine's rolling at full force. But that shouldn't surprise you, considering the new film from the world-famous franchise ...