dw sort and sort

PB 10.2

When you create a datawindow you can choose "rows", "sort". In the SQL
there is also a tab page "sort".

Probably the tab-page sort in SQL is only when retrieving the data. The
tabpage sort is used you call the dw_sort() function.

Is this correct?
Is the "rows", "sort" called automatically after the data is retrieved?

Thanks
Eric
0
ontsnapt
8/18/2006 10:24:30 AM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 11 followers. Follow

On 18 Aug 2006 03:24:30 -0700, ontsnapt <ontsnapt@hotmail.com> wrote:

>PB 10.2
>
>When you create a datawindow you can choose "rows", "sort". In the SQL
>there is also a tab page "sort".
>
>Probably the tab-page sort in SQL is only when retrieving the data. The
>tabpage sort is used you call the dw_sort() function.
>

>Is this correct?
>Is the "rows", "sort" called automatically after the data is retrieved?
>
>Thanks

Hi Eric,

Yes that is correct.  The SQL Sort will generate an Order By clause.
Convert to syntax to see for yourself.  The client side "rows" sort
will be aplied after the datawindow is retrieved.

0
Boris
8/18/2006 12:10:57 PM
When you do a Retrieve(...) on your datawindow, the sort in the SQL is
performed by the database server before the resultset is transmitted back to
the application. When the data finishes coming into the datawindow, the sort
defined from the Rows/Sort menu is then performed.

If later you call the Sort() function, it will use the one from the menu.

If there is a sort in the SQL, the database server has to save the resultset
in a temporary storage area. Then when it has finished collecting all the
data, it sorts the data and transmits it back to the client machine. If
there is not a sort in the SQL, the rows gets transmitted directly back to
the client machine as the server finds the data.

Roland

"ontsnapt" <ontsnapt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> PB 10.2
>
> When you create a datawindow you can choose "rows", "sort". In the SQL
> there is also a tab page "sort".
>
> Probably the tab-page sort in SQL is only when retrieving the data. The
> tabpage sort is used you call the dw_sort() function.
>

> Is this correct?
> Is the "rows", "sort" called automatically after the data is retrieved?
>
> Thanks
> Eric

0
Roland

Sorted DW vs. Sorted records
I've been handed a project from another programmer, and the first thing they've asked me to do is to fix some functionality concerning a "detail" DW (I say "detail" because the original programmer didn't build it that way, even though that's what it is - he's not what you would call a "top shelf" programmer [I don't even think he knows a shelf exists, much less sees it...]) Anyway, the issue they've given me is that when they add records to the detail section, they can be out of order, since the user has to highlight a row to ...

Difference between dw sort & group sort.
Dear all, Does anyone know the differences between the datawindow sorting & the group sorting inside it?? Best Regards, Andy Cheung They conflict with eachother. You can actually setup a DW sort which is different than your groupings and your groups will come out all messed up. Basically, the grouping still works but the it groups based on how the records are sorted so you could have the same group multiple times at different places in the list. Its best to set your DW sort to be the same as your grouping order. Regards, John Olson Team Sybase Andy Cheung wro...

How do you get a dw's sort string before changing the sort ?
Hi, This seems to be something very basic, but for the life of me I can't find any documentation on this..... I would like to capture the sort string of my datawindow before I change it. How can I capture the sort?? Thanks in advance. Andy dw_1.Object.DataWindow.Table.Sort OR dw_1.Describe("DataWindow.Table.Sort") Andrew Joos wrote: > Hi, > > This seems to be something very basic, but for the life of me I can't find > any documentation on this..... > > I would like to capture the sort string of my datawindow bef...

DW Sort Order differs from SQL Server Sort Order
We have a table with a column sku_cd defined as char(20) not null. Three of the sku_cd values are: 50-SN16LG-AL 50-SN16LG-ALNL 50-SN16LG2 Three rows are returned by the following query (you can add an ORDER BY sku_cd): select * from sku where sku_cd between '50-SN16LG-AL' and '50-SN16LG2' No rows are returned by the following query: select * from sku where sku_cd between '50-SN16LG2' and '50-SN16LG-AL' So, this establishes the SQL Server sort/collation order, wherein the '-' precedes the '2'. (We are using Code Page 1252). ...

Sorting DataGrid, Maintane Sort
I have made a sorting datagrid which pages fine and maintanes the sort. But the problem is that when I go to a differnt page while one column is being sorted it still has it sorted but the arrow on the header is gone and it goes back to looking like that column is not sorted even tho it really is. You can see a the Actual page here: http://company4.go-look.com/Liquids.aspx When you click on the headers it displays that arrow but when pages arrow is gone. [code] <form runat="server"> <script runat="server" language="VB"> Protected Dim R...

Sorting Arrays with TList.Sort
Several posts suggest using TList for sorting arrays. I have a two-dimensional dynamic array named CashArray, an array of array of double. I would like to sort the rows using the second column. 1. I'm not sure how to properly assign the row pointers to the TList. 2. Even if they are properly assigned, I have no idea how to write the compare function. Make fun of my ignorance if you like, but please help me correct my code below. Max procedure TfMain.Button3Click(Sender: TObject); var i: integer; PCashRow: pointer; MyList: TList; function CompareCash(Item1, It...

Sorting Issue: Sort by Star
This is my first post, so I apologize if I'm breaking existing etiquette somehow and beg your pardon. I have a question about folder sorting behavior (specifically when sorting by "star"): Right now, when sorting by star, the starred messages are always grouped with the oldest non-starred messages (that is, a message from yesterday that I've marked with a star will sit next to the oldest email that I have, from years ago). This happens when sorting by star on either ascending or descending. This seems to me to be less useful than the alternative (sorting s...

dw sorting
Hi , I want to sort the dw( with a charecter column in it) with numeric sorting(considering the numeric part of the values in the charecter column)...I have address in the charecter column like 1a,1b,20 etc., Any help is greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Han it might be a bit clunky but you could create a computed field which uses a complex if statement using isnumber datawindow function and basically create computed fields which represents the number portion and the letter portion(this wouldn't be too difficult, considering the field length is probably only 10 or...

Sort only sorts current page???
If there is more than 1 page returned from the HTMLDW and .SetSort/.Sort is called the current page is sorted. Great, but when ScrollNextPage is called the data reverts back to the original sort. Apparently the sort criteria is not maintained in Jaguar. We did a describe anf the sort definition is lost the next time the page is loaded. How can we have the sort order maintained after SetSort() ScrollNextPage()? TIA, Tim Thanks but not the best solution, I think. For example, the first retrieve has a page of data sorted by column1. Execute sort and page1 has a different ...

Sort in DW
Hi Everybody, I built a DW who contents a column with a code of product. But i display a Designation of product via a Drop Datawindow. How can i sort the result on the designation of the product. Not on the code. I do this to avoid a jointure. Thanks for your help. Allo. Check out LookupDisplay() in the help Mike <Allo> wrote in message news:410fd453.29e0.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi Everybody, > > I built a DW who contents a column with a code of product. > But i display a Designation of product via a Drop > Datawindow. > How can i sort the ...

Sort
I would like to add sort to an existing script that was written by someone else. I've taken an Intro to Perl class and a CGI-Perl class. I can't understand the script AT ALL and at this point I've written a bulletin board program, contact form/auto-email-responder, as well as an apartment locator search and database program. The script converts files in Pagemaker / text into html files. We want to output the html files alphabetically, seemed simple but I can't make heads or tails of it. The script is about 700K but I could put it on a web page or send it ...

Sort
Name: An Almost Satisfied User Product: Firefox Summary: Sort Comments: Would you please provide an option to keep all folders and sub-folders sorted alphabetically all the time and keep them that way even when new bookmarks are added. It is annoying to have to sort each folder separately. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008061004 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

sort
Hi, I have a problem with retrieveasneeded and sort. I have a dw with 35000 rows. I have specified retrieevasneeded for dw so that data can been shown as it is got from the db. But after retrieval i want user to select the column that he wants to sort and then show result set in sorted order. As setsort cancels the retrieveasneeded , it gets all rows and then sorts and that takes up lot of time. My question is ,How can i use retrieveasneeded and also allow user to sorting after rows are retrieved from db. Simple answer you can't. RetrieveAsNeeded is doing exactly w...

sort
Hi, i have a dw_ and call the sort function. I don't want it to display all the columns from the dw_ though. Is this possible? John yes, simply select the unwanted columns in the datawindow painter and delete them. -- Chris Werner "John Kingan" <John.Kingan@ukgateway.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:uimrSTiHDHA.186@forums-2-dub... > Hi, i have a dw_ and call the sort function. I don't want it to display all > the columns from the dw_ though. Is this possible? > > John > > > > > > > ...

Web resources about - dw sort and sort - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Insertion sort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Insertion sort is a simple sorting algorithm that builds the final sorted array (or list) one item at a time. It is much less efficient on large ...

Timeline Remove Browser Plug-In Sort Of Brings Back Old Facebook Profile
A new browser extension called Timeline Remove may seem like a dream come true for the legions of Facebook users who are unhappy with the new ...

Facebook allows page admins to sort comments chronologically or by activity
... given page managers the chance to choose if they want to see comments to their posts in the order they were posted, or by a Reddit-style sorting ...

People are trying to sort out the "old days" of the web vs today. Here's my two cents.
And some people like to cook for themselves. And sometimes people who cook for themselves like to eat out, and vice versa. So I use Flickr ...

Mac App Store - Taxonomy - quickly sort files and store them in order
Get Taxonomy - quickly sort files and store them in order on the Mac App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Name Sort Broken: Alphabetical Order - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Tamar Weinberg's photos on Flickr. Tamar Weinberg has uploaded 4087 photos to Flickr.

Linux on a Microscope Slide AVR (sort of) - YouTube
This is Linux running on my Microscope Slide Minecraft Server... Sort of... I took Fabrice Bellard's JSLinux and modded it to support a new range ...

Val Kilmer sort of signs up for Top Gun 2
He was over-excited - that's what actor Val Kilmer&#160;is telling us after a&#160;hasty Facebook post concerning&#160;his possible&#160;role ...

Cluttered social life? Sort acquaintances from troll-fighting true friends
Decluttering of excessive items is empowering, I'm told. Applying a triage system to one's own friends, though: That's quite the challenge.

Journos Behind (small) Bars: Decanter sorts the dudes from the men
With so many small bars popping up on the drinking landscape of Perth, WAtoday journalists decided to go "behind bars" to soak up the new scene, ...