Difference between workspace build and workspace deploy

In my workspace I have two targets and I want to create my
two executables all in one fell swoop.  In the Run drop-down
menu, there are options for

- Incremental Build Workspace
- Full Build Workspace
- Deploy Workspace

I realize that I don't know the difference between a Build
and a Deploy!  Which does what, and which do I use to create
my executable?  Thanks.
0
SF92

Hi SF;

   What version of PB are you using?

Regards ... Chris
President: OSUG / STD Inc.
Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com

"SF92" wrote in message news:4d2c7cdb.75db.1681692777@sybase.com...

In my workspace I have two targets and I want to create my
two executables all in one fell swoop.  In the Run drop-down
menu, there are options for

- Incremental Build Workspace
- Full Build Workspace
- Deploy Workspace

I realize that I don't know the difference between a Build
and a Deploy!  Which does what, and which do I use to create
my executable?  Thanks.
0
Chris
1/11/2011 4:04:05 PM
On this application I'm using PB 10.2.

> Hi SF;
>
>    What version of PB are you using?
>
> Regards ... Chris
> President: OSUG / STD Inc.
> Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
> PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com
> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
>
> "SF92" wrote in message
>
> In my workspace I have two targets and I want to create my
> two executables all in one fell swoop.  In the Run
> drop-down menu, there are options for
>
> - Incremental Build Workspace
> - Full Build Workspace
> - Deploy Workspace
>
> I realize that I don't know the difference between a Build
> and a Deploy!  Which does what, and which do I use to
> create my executable?  Thanks.
0
SF92
1/11/2011 4:11:56 PM
Deploy is creation of executables. Exactly what it does (i.e. which project(s)
it uses) for each target is a property of the target.

Build is refreshing the internal pointers between objects and regenerating from
your PowerScript the PCode that executes at run time. Full goes through every
class object in your application; incremental tries to discern which objects
need refreshing and just does those. (While the algorithm to calculate which
objects to include in incremental builds has improved over the versions, when in
doubt, Trust No One and do a Full Build.)

Good luck,

Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten

On 11 Jan 2011 07:52:59 -0800,
 in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
 <SF92> wrote:
>In my workspace I have two targets and I want to create my
>two executables all in one fell swoop.  In the Run drop-down
>menu, there are options for
>
>- Incremental Build Workspace
>- Full Build Workspace
>- Deploy Workspace
>
>I realize that I don't know the difference between a Build
>and a Deploy!  Which does what, and which do I use to create
>my executable?  Thanks.

*********************************
Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
http://www.freerice.com
*********************************
Newsgroup User Manual
=====================
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

http://www.techno-kitten.com/PreRelease411/setup.exe
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
1/11/2011 4:42:28 PM
So if I do a build without a deploy I get all my pointers
refreshed but no .EXE file, yes?

So typically after changing my code I would need to do a
build first and then a deploy also?

> Deploy is creation of executables. Exactly what it does
> (i.e. which project(s) it uses) for each target is a
> property of the target.
>
> Build is refreshing the internal pointers between objects
> and regenerating from your PowerScript the PCode that
> executes at run time. Full goes through every class object
> in your application; incremental tries to discern which
> objects need refreshing and just does those. (While the
> algorithm to calculate which objects to include in
> incremental builds has improved over the versions, when in
> doubt, Trust No One and do a Full Build.)
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On 11 Jan 2011 07:52:59 -0800,
>  in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
>  <SF92> wrote:
> >In my workspace I have two targets and I want to create
> my >two executables all in one fell swoop.  In the Run
> drop-down >menu, there are options for
> >
> >- Incremental Build Workspace
> >- Full Build Workspace
> >- Deploy Workspace
> >
> >I realize that I don't know the difference between a
> Build >and a Deploy!  Which does what, and which do I use
> to create >my executable?  Thanks.
>
> *********************************
> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
> http://www.freerice.com
> *********************************
> Newsgroup User Manual
> =====================
> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
> Forums = Peer-to-peer
> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
> *********************************
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's
> Toolkit.
> http://www.techno-kitten.com/PreRelease411/setup.exe See
> the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox ^
> ^ o o
> =*=
0
SF92
1/11/2011 4:47:58 PM
Thanks.

    So in that case, each Target under your Workspace is processed when you
select "deploy" using the RHMB on the WS. If you have a "project" object
tagged to each Target, the deploy command will process the associated
Project object for each target. The Project object most likely contains the
deployment instructions for each application EXE.

   Now you may have more than one project for each Target - however, you may
not have any Project object set as a default. So before you begin, make sure
that you inspect each Target's properties to see what Project has been
assigned and activated. That is to say you should see at least one of these
(or not all of them) checked under the "Deploy" tab page of the Target's
properties. Once you are satisfied with each Target/Project assignment - you
can select the WS "deploy" option for multiple EXE's in one fell swoop.  :-)

HTH

"SF92" wrote in message news:4d2c814c.786e.1681692777@sybase.com...

On this application I'm using PB 10.2.

> Hi SF;
>
>    What version of PB are you using?
>
> Regards ... Chris
> President: OSUG / STD Inc.
> Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
> PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com
> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
>
> "SF92" wrote in message
>
> In my workspace I have two targets and I want to create my
> two executables all in one fell swoop.  In the Run
> drop-down menu, there are options for
>
> - Incremental Build Workspace
> - Full Build Workspace
> - Deploy Workspace
>
> I realize that I don't know the difference between a Build
> and a Deploy!  Which does what, and which do I use to
> create my executable?  Thanks.

0
Chris
1/11/2011 4:52:14 PM
A "deploy" does a "build" by default (full or incremental, according to the
settings in the project object), but a "build" does not do a "deploy".

Paul Horan[Sybase]
http://paulhoran.ulitzer.com

<SF92> wrote in message news:4d2c89be.7b5c.1681692777@sybase.com...
> So if I do a build without a deploy I get all my pointers
> refreshed but no .EXE file, yes?
>
> So typically after changing my code I would need to do a
> build first and then a deploy also?
>

>> Deploy is creation of executables. Exactly what it does
>> (i.e. which project(s) it uses) for each target is a
>> property of the target.
>>
>> Build is refreshing the internal pointers between objects
>> and regenerating from your PowerScript the PCode that
>> executes at run time. Full goes through every class object
>> in your application; incremental tries to discern which
>> objects need refreshing and just does those. (While the
>> algorithm to calculate which objects to include in
>> incremental builds has improved over the versions, when in
>> doubt, Trust No One and do a Full Build.)
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten
>>
>> On 11 Jan 2011 07:52:59 -0800,
>>  in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
>>  <SF92> wrote:
>> >In my workspace I have two targets and I want to create
>> my >two executables all in one fell swoop.  In the Run
>> drop-down >menu, there are options for
>> >
>> >- Incremental Build Workspace
>> >- Full Build Workspace
>> >- Deploy Workspace
>> >
>> >I realize that I don't know the difference between a
>> Build >and a Deploy!  Which does what, and which do I use
>> to create >my executable?  Thanks.
>>
>> *********************************
>> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
>> http://www.freerice.com
>> *********************************
>> Newsgroup User Manual
>> =====================
>> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
>> Forums = Peer-to-peer
>> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
>> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
>> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
>> *********************************
>>
>> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
>> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's
>> Toolkit.
>> http://www.techno-kitten.com/PreRelease411/setup.exe See
>> the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox ^
>> ^ o o
>> =*=

0
Paul
1/11/2011 4:56:48 PM
So if I do a build without a deploy I get all my pointers
refreshed but no .EXE file, yes?
=> YES

So typically after changing my code I would need to do a
build first and then a deploy also?
=>No (but I would recommend doing a full build a) after many simultaneous
changes, b) significant changes to ancestor objects or d) just before a
production build for QA testing - just to be on the safe side)

> Deploy is creation of executables. Exactly what it does
> (i.e. which project(s) it uses) for each target is a
> property of the target.
>
> Build is refreshing the internal pointers between objects
> and regenerating from your PowerScript the PCode that
> executes at run time. Full goes through every class object
> in your application; incremental tries to discern which
> objects need refreshing and just does those. (While the
> algorithm to calculate which objects to include in
> incremental builds has improved over the versions, when in
> doubt, Trust No One and do a Full Build.)
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On 11 Jan 2011 07:52:59 -0800,
>  in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
>  <SF92> wrote:
> >In my workspace I have two targets and I want to create
> my >two executables all in one fell swoop.  In the Run
> drop-down >menu, there are options for
> >
> >- Incremental Build Workspace
> >- Full Build Workspace
> >- Deploy Workspace
> >
> >I realize that I don't know the difference between a
> Build >and a Deploy!  Which does what, and which do I use
> to create >my executable?  Thanks.
>
> *********************************
> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
> http://www.freerice.com
> *********************************
> Newsgroup User Manual
> =====================
> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
> Forums = Peer-to-peer
> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
> *********************************
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's
> Toolkit.
> http://www.techno-kitten.com/PreRelease411/setup.exe See
> the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox ^
> ^ o o
> =*=

0
Chris
1/11/2011 4:57:55 PM
Yes, you're on the money wrt builds.

As for when, let's say the real answer is complicated. <g> I'm hoping I'm
repeating the TechWave speakers correctly. It has to do with whether or not the
internal VTable of function signatures changes, and whether that change affects
the index of something that is being referenced by another object. So a couple
of examples. If you change a validation in w_emoticon_maintenance to require a
rating of greater than zero instead of greater than or equal to zero, likely no
build required. Add a function to the transaction user object that SQLCA is
mapped to, and you use SQLCA throughout your application (i.e. lots of
references to u_tr's VTable), then a build is required. If you add a function to
w_emoticon_maintenance, and no other object tries to reference any function or
event in w_emoticon_maintenance, then probably no build required.

Lastly, if you start seeing behaviour that you can't explain by looking at the
code, you may have missed a build trigger and it's overdue. A full build is
always a good idea when you start into troubleshooting mode.

Good luck,

Terry and Sequel the parroting techno-kitten

On 11 Jan 2011 08:47:58 -0800,

*********************************
Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
http://www.freerice.com
*********************************
Newsgroup User Manual
=====================
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

http://www.techno-kitten.com/PreRelease411/setup.exe
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
1/11/2011 6:17:01 PM
Yup, my deploy works fine and creates both executables.
Thanks much to everyone for all the help.

One odd thing I noticed, and I'm guessing this is fixed in
PB 11: with the library painter open and no other painters
open, if I right-click on the workspace and choose Deploy, I
get a warning:

Cannot create runtime when another painter is open

Yet with the library painter still open, I can click Run and
choose Deploy Workspace and they deploy proceeds fine.

> Thanks.
>
>     So in that case, each Target under your Workspace is
> processed when you  select "deploy" using the RHMB on the
> WS. If you have a "project" object  tagged to each Target,
> the deploy command will process the associated  Project
> object for each target. The Project object most likely
> contains the  deployment instructions for each application
> EXE.
>
>    Now you may have more than one project for each Target
> - however, you may  not have any Project object set as a
> default. So before you begin, make sure  that you inspect
> each Target's properties to see what Project has been
> assigned and activated. That is to say you should see at
> least one of these  (or not all of them) checked under the
> "Deploy" tab page of the Target's  properties. Once you
> are satisfied with each Target/Project assignment - you
> can select the WS "deploy" option for multiple EXE's in
> one fell swoop.  :-)
>
> HTH
>

> "SF92" wrote in message
>
> On this application I'm using PB 10.2.
>
> > Hi SF;
> >
> >    What version of PB are you using?
> >
> > Regards ... Chris
> > President: OSUG / STD Inc.
> > Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
> > PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com
> > SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
> >
> > "SF92" wrote in message
> >
> > In my workspace I have two targets and I want to create
> > my two executables all in one fell swoop.  In the Run
> > drop-down menu, there are options for
> >
> > - Incremental Build Workspace
> > - Full Build Workspace
> > - Deploy Workspace
> >
> > I realize that I don't know the difference between a
> > Build and a Deploy!  Which does what, and which do I use
> > to create my executable?  Thanks.

0
SF72
1/11/2011 8:53:27 PM
Great news!

BTW: Even in PB 12.1 an open library painter gives you the same error
message on a WS deployment.   :-(

"SF72" wrote in message news:4d2cc347.e5c.1681692777@sybase.com...

Yup, my deploy works fine and creates both executables.
Thanks much to everyone for all the help.

One odd thing I noticed, and I'm guessing this is fixed in
PB 11: with the library painter open and no other painters
open, if I right-click on the workspace and choose Deploy, I
get a warning:

Cannot create runtime when another painter is open

Yet with the library painter still open, I can click Run and
choose Deploy Workspace and they deploy proceeds fine.

> Thanks.
>
>     So in that case, each Target under your Workspace is
> processed when you  select "deploy" using the RHMB on the
> WS. If you have a "project" object  tagged to each Target,
> the deploy command will process the associated  Project
> object for each target. The Project object most likely
> contains the  deployment instructions for each application
> EXE.
>
>    Now you may have more than one project for each Target
> - however, you may  not have any Project object set as a
> default. So before you begin, make sure  that you inspect
> each Target's properties to see what Project has been
> assigned and activated. That is to say you should see at
> least one of these  (or not all of them) checked under the
> "Deploy" tab page of the Target's  properties. Once you
> are satisfied with each Target/Project assignment - you
> can select the WS "deploy" option for multiple EXE's in
> one fell swoop.  :-)
>
> HTH
>

> "SF92" wrote in message
>
> On this application I'm using PB 10.2.
>
> > Hi SF;
> >
> >    What version of PB are you using?
> >
> > Regards ... Chris
> > President: OSUG / STD Inc.
> > Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
> > PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com
> > SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
> >
> > "SF92" wrote in message
> >
> > In my workspace I have two targets and I want to create
> > my two executables all in one fell swoop.  In the Run
> > drop-down menu, there are options for
> >
> > - Incremental Build Workspace
> > - Full Build Workspace
> > - Deploy Workspace
> >
> > I realize that I don't know the difference between a
> > Build and a Deploy!  Which does what, and which do I use
> > to create my executable?  Thanks.

0
Chris

PB 9 How to build and deploy the workspace
We are using PB 7 without any SCC. Now we are migrating to PB 9 and we are planning to use the PBNative SCC of PB 9. I have setup the repository and a local root for all of our developers, this part works just fine. My concern is : do I need to set an other local root only to build the application? Can a developer build from his own workspace or it's better to open a "deployment workspace" and then, get the latests source, build and finally deploy the application ? Because I tried to deploy from my own workspace and PB told me that the library list in the ...

deploy workspace
hi all, can anyone tell me what does the deploy workspace option do in PB8? TIA Deploy workspace deploys all tagets within the workspace. For example if you have a target which deploys to the web and a regular PowerBuilder .exe target in the same workspace, it would deploy both. This would be the equivelant of right clicking on each of the targets seperatley and selecting deploy whcih will deploy the target to the checked items in your deploy tab (from teh properties of the target). - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com) www.planetdx.com In addition t...

Builds in the Workspaces
I noticed that you can no longer download the build of DNN from the workspace page on GotDotNet. I saw the disclaimer and I understand the core teams decision to abandon the workspaces, I find them cumbersome myself. Can't we at least have the release builds of DotNetNuke out there for download ? I found the xml feed from the workspace useful in displaying links to download the code. THanksSteve WalkerSenior ConsultantSharePoint ForumsSharePoint Architecture We are still refreshing the GDN workspace periodically. We are approaching Beta, Once in the beta, .zipped releases for ...

Why does Team Build get all the sources from a workspace when building?
When I start a team build, why does it get all the sources in the workspace when I only select one solution to build?  Is there a way around that?   Thanks, Howard...

workspace
how to get workspaceheight and width for webform ? thanks. ...

Workspace
Name: Valdis Kundrats Email: valdisdotkundratsatwebdotde Product: Firefox Summary: Workspace Comments: Hi! Could you please someday implement following feature: saving several tabs for the start page (is already implemented) but with additional option "save as workspace", to make possible to start this workplace separately from other mozilla-windows. Thank you in advance! Valdis Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 (CK-Bauer) Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/...

Workspace: how?
Dear All, I recently installed PB8, and now I am trying to figure out how should I use workspaces. I read "Migrating to Powerbuilder 8" at Sybase http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,3693,1013615,00.html Creating a new workspace and target was easy, and so was compiling and running an old application. But, should I define: (a) a workspace that keeps all my applications, OR (b) a workspace for each applications ? Also, I tried (a), and added app1.pbt and app2.pbt to my workspace. But now, when I hit the RUN button, Pb always runs app1: how can I go to app2, and run it? TIA ...

Workspaces down?
I wanted to try out the .Text blog system, but Workspaces has been down all morning, is there an alternate site where I can download the project?Michael Trefry Trefry.NET Hi, You may try the 0.96 version @ Vault: view post 533299 Regards, I tried that and had some issues installing it. The SQL blew up, apparently there are some stored procedures around creating users that reference fields that no longer exist. I'm also trying to place this in a DotNetNuke site, and there are known solutions for the current release, I'm nopt sure how those solutions apply to the Beta. I don't...

Using different workspaces
Say we have two workspaces pointing to the same PBL's. Programmer A makes changes to one of those PBL's while in workspace RICK.PBW. Programmer B makes changes to a different PBL while in workspace JOE.PBW. Then programmer B compiles the app. Programmer A's changes should be in that compiled app, yes? Are we talking about the same app/target in two workspaces, or two apps trying to share a subset of PBLs? If the latter, that gets into truly scary territory. To avoid repeating myself, check out the thread below, followed by an updated link to Boris' article. ...

General Workspace question
How does PB know what objects (windows, datawindow, etc.) to open when I switch from one workspace to another? I thought perhaps this was stored in the PB.INI file. However, when I open a particular workspace, a certain window always opens and I can't find any reference to it in the pb.ini file. My issue is that when I attempt to close this window, PB crashes regardless of the method I use to close the window. I thought perhaps a reference to the window was in the workspace file (x.pbw) but couldn't find anything there either. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. -Don ...

Workspace
Name: Nicolò Caneparo Email: info_at_nickland.org Product: Firefox 2 Beta 2 Summary: Workspace Comments: I think, at first sight, that the new version of this browser is very nice, especially for its workspace. Nice and useful the corrector system! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060821 Firefox/2.0b2 ...

Deploy workspace #2
I have a workspace with 5 targets. I like to do a deploy of my workspace to deploy all of my targets. When my workspace isn't under source control this works very well. However, after turning on (PB Native) source control, just the first target is deployed, the other 4 aren't. Within my output pane I just got the messages: 'Deploying project projectname' and 'Done Deploying project projectname' for my last four targets. Do I have to check out some objects to make this work or are there any other factors I must think of. We're using PB8.03, Build 9704. Pbl&#...

Workspace
Hello there!!! Anybody knows how to disable the Refresh Rate function (in the workspace propereties) without disconnectig the workspace from the Source Control? It's all done on the Source Control tab. (Right-click on the workspace and choose "Properties".) To make it less annoying, change the refresh rate from 5 to something ridiculously large, like 1440. I don't know what happens if you set it to zero, but you could try it. You might also try the "work offline" option. I don't have the exact wording, but you'll get the gist. If enab...

Web resources about - Difference between workspace build and workspace deploy - sybase.powerbuilder.general

World powers adopt UN Syria resolution to end civil war, but differences on Assad's future as leader ...
The UN Security Council unanimously adopts a resolution endorsing a peace process to end the Syrian war.

How a Fox News Poll Makes the Difference in CNN Debate
Rand Paul has Fox News to thank for making the cut in the main debate on CNN Tuesday night. The Kentucky Senator could have been relegated to ...

Differences Matter
I was struck by this paragraph in the Slate piece on our portfolio company YouNow this weekend: In theory, YouNow sounds a bit like Twitter’s ...

Debate showed differences between parties
Much of the commentary and analysis from Saturday night’s Democratic debate in New Hampshire will undoubtedly focus on the questions of national ...

There will be one huge difference when you see the new ‘Star Wars’ movie in theaters
When you head out to see "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," the film will have one very big change as soon as the movie starts. Up until now, each ...

Sanders Is ‘Working Out Differences’ With DNC, Hillary In Order To ‘Defeat Right-Wing Extremism’
Sanders Is ‘Working Out Differences’ With DNC, Hillary In Order To ‘Defeat Right-Wing Extremism’

Can you spot the differences between fact-checking a GOP debate and whack-a-mole?
It shouldn’t come as any big surprise that Tuesday night’s Republican presidential debate was a bonanza for fact-checkers. Here are a few of ...