Datawindows with child datawindows

I want to create a datawindow whose only data is three columns that will
themselves be drop-down data windows.  These child datawindows will be
populated in PB script with dw_1.GetChild().  When I create that parent
datawindow (New | Datawindow | Freeform), what do I choose in the next
dialog box ("Which datasource would you like to use?")  External?
Thanks.
0
Rick
8/15/2008 9:34:25 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 14 followers. Follow

That depends on how you want to populate and use the columns of the main DW.
The DDDW is an edit style that assists the user in selecting a value for the
column in the main DW. If you want to retrieve the values and use them to
update a table, use SQL. If you want to InsertRow, SetItem, GetItem then
External.

"Rick" <rick@invalid.net> wrote in message
>I want to create a datawindow whose only data is three columns that will
> themselves be drop-down data windows.  These child datawindows will be
> populated in PB script with dw_1.GetChild().  When I create that parent
> datawindow (New | Datawindow | Freeform), what do I choose in the next
> dialog box ("Which datasource would you like to use?")  External?
> Thanks.

0
Jerry
8/15/2008 10:28:46 PM
Thanks.  I don't need to update a table, so I'll use External.  So with
this parent dw, I don't do a Retrieve() at all, right?  I know I use
GetChild() to populate the child dw's, but how do I get that data into
the parent dw?  Thanks.

In article <48a6031e$1@forums-1-dub>, jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com says...
> That depends on how you want to populate and use the columns of the main DW.
> The DDDW is an edit style that assists the user in selecting a value for the
> column in the main DW. If you want to retrieve the values and use them to
> update a table, use SQL. If you want to InsertRow, SetItem, GetItem then
> External.
>
> "Rick" <rick@invalid.net> wrote in message
> >I want to create a datawindow whose only data is three columns that will
> > themselves be drop-down data windows.  These child datawindows will be
> > populated in PB script with dw_1.GetChild().  When I create that parent
> > datawindow (New | Datawindow | Freeform), what do I choose in the next
> > dialog box ("Which datasource would you like to use?")  External?
> > Thanks.

0
Rick
8/20/2008 8:47:58 PM
Correct. Rather than Retrieve() you would use InsertRow() as needed. Then
SetItem() to populate initial values, or use the Initial property of the
column for defaults. And of course GetItemXXXXX to pick up the user's
eventual choices.

> Thanks.  I don't need to update a table, so I'll use External.  So with
> this parent dw, I don't do a Retrieve() at all, right?  I know I use
> GetChild() to populate the child dw's, but how do I get that data into
> the parent dw?  Thanks.
>
> In article <48a6031e$1@forums-1-dub>, jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com says...
>> That depends on how you want to populate and use the columns of the main
>> DW.
>> The DDDW is an edit style that assists the user in selecting a value for
>> the
>> column in the main DW. If you want to retrieve the values and use them to
>> update a table, use SQL. If you want to InsertRow, SetItem, GetItem then
>> External.
>>
>> "Rick" <rick@invalid.net> wrote in message
>> >I want to create a datawindow whose only data is three columns that will
>> > themselves be drop-down data windows.  These child datawindows will be
>> > populated in PB script with dw_1.GetChild().  When I create that parent
>> > datawindow (New | Datawindow | Freeform), what do I choose in the next
>> > dialog box ("Which datasource would you like to use?")  External?
>> > Thanks.

0
Jerry
8/21/2008 12:20:42 AM
Thanks much; I'm still feeling obtuse.  My parent dw, created as
External, consists of two columns only.  Each column references its own
child dw (regular internal SQL), each of which has a retrieval arg.  I
do my GetChild() to get my reference vars ldwc_1 and ldwc_2, then pass
the retrieval arg to the child dw's via ldwc_1.Retrieve(argname).  That
populates the child dw's fine.

But I can't get the parent dw to even display, and I'd like it to
display the data from the child dw's in dropdowns.  If I do an InsertRow
on the parent, then it displays, but before it does, the retrieval arg
dialog pops up and asks me for the retrieval args for both children (of
course).  I know I'm missing something.

Thanks for any help.

In article <48acb4da$1@forums-1-dub>, jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com says...
> Correct. Rather than Retrieve() you would use InsertRow() as needed. Then
> SetItem() to populate initial values, or use the Initial property of the
> column for defaults. And of course GetItemXXXXX to pick up the user's
> eventual choices.
>
> "Rick" <rick@invalid.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks.  I don't need to update a table, so I'll use External.  So with
> > this parent dw, I don't do a Retrieve() at all, right?  I know I use
> > GetChild() to populate the child dw's, but how do I get that data into
> > the parent dw?  Thanks.
> >
> > In article <48a6031e$1@forums-1-dub>, jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com says...
> >> That depends on how you want to populate and use the columns of the main
> >> DW.
> >> The DDDW is an edit style that assists the user in selecting a value for
> >> the
> >> column in the main DW. If you want to retrieve the values and use them to
> >> update a table, use SQL. If you want to InsertRow, SetItem, GetItem then
> >> External.
> >>
> >> "Rick" <rick@invalid.net> wrote in message

0
Rick
8/21/2008 5:20:58 AM
Turn Autoretrieve off on the columns in the parent or save a blank row of
data in each DDDW.

> Thanks much; I'm still feeling obtuse.  My parent dw, created as
> External, consists of two columns only.  Each column references its own
> child dw (regular internal SQL), each of which has a retrieval arg.  I
> do my GetChild() to get my reference vars ldwc_1 and ldwc_2, then pass
> the retrieval arg to the child dw's via ldwc_1.Retrieve(argname).  That
> populates the child dw's fine.
>
> But I can't get the parent dw to even display, and I'd like it to
> display the data from the child dw's in dropdowns.  If I do an InsertRow
> on the parent, then it displays, but before it does, the retrieval arg
> dialog pops up and asks me for the retrieval args for both children (of
> course).  I know I'm missing something.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>

> In article <48acb4da$1@forums-1-dub>, jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com says...
>> Correct. Rather than Retrieve() you would use InsertRow() as needed. Then
>> SetItem() to populate initial values, or use the Initial property of the
>> column for defaults. And of course GetItemXXXXX to pick up the user's
>> eventual choices.
>>
>> "Rick" <rick@invalid.net> wrote in message
>> > Thanks.  I don't need to update a table, so I'll use External.  So with
>> > this parent dw, I don't do a Retrieve() at all, right?  I know I use
>> > GetChild() to populate the child dw's, but how do I get that data into
>> > the parent dw?  Thanks.
>> >
>> > In article <48a6031e$1@forums-1-dub>, jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com says...

0
Jerry
8/21/2008 7:55:06 AM
THANK YOU--that did it.  Much appreciated.  My last hurdle: for some
reason when the parent dw first opens only the first dw child is
displaying.  If you tab to, or click on, the second dw then it displays.
For both child dw's I have:

dw_parent.GetChild("colname",ldwc_x)
ldwc_x.settransobject(SQLCA)
ldwc_x.Retrieve("XXX")	// retrieval argument for each dddw
ldwc_x.InsertRow(0)

then I insert a row into dw_parent.  Both dw's have the Visible property
checked.  But for some reason only dw 1 displays at first.  Clicking on
dw #2 then does display it.  Any thoughts?  Thanks much.

In article <48ad1f5a$1@forums-1-dub>, jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com says...
> Turn Autoretrieve off on the columns in the parent or save a blank row of
> data in each DDDW.

0
Rick
8/21/2008 6:26:42 PM
Do the InsertRow() on dw_parent first?

> THANK YOU--that did it.  Much appreciated.  My last hurdle: for some
> reason when the parent dw first opens only the first dw child is
> displaying.  If you tab to, or click on, the second dw then it displays.
> For both child dw's I have:
>
> dw_parent.GetChild("colname",ldwc_x)
> ldwc_x.settransobject(SQLCA)
> ldwc_x.Retrieve("XXX") // retrieval argument for each dddw
> ldwc_x.InsertRow(0)
>
> then I insert a row into dw_parent.  Both dw's have the Visible property
> checked.  But for some reason only dw 1 displays at first.  Clicking on
> dw #2 then does display it.  Any thoughts?  Thanks much.
>
> In article <48ad1f5a$1@forums-1-dub>, jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com says...
>> Turn Autoretrieve off on the columns in the parent or save a blank row of
>> data in each DDDW.

0
Jerry
8/22/2008 1:44:23 PM
THANK YOU!  I'd tried that before but your help emboldened me to push
forward in another direction.  It turned out to be something relatively
minor -- I checked the 'Always Show Arrow' property in the Edit tab for
each child datawindow.  I guess child dddw objects might just go
invisible unless that property is checked?  No, because the *first* dddw
was visible even without that property.  In any case, it's now fine.
Thank you very much for your help.

In article <48aec2b7@forums-1-dub>, jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com says...
> Do the InsertRow() on dw_parent first?

0
Rick

I will print two datawindow in one page,and I use child datawindow.One master datawindow (dw_master)with two child datawindow(dc1 and dc2)
dw_master("dw_dc1",dc1) dw_master("dw_dc2",dc2) dc1 has a argument (arg1) dc2 has a argument (arg2) Arg1 and Arg2 are send by one column of dw_master. When I use retrieve() function,the datawindow can display normal,but when I print preview or use Zoom or printsetup() ,the childdatawindow dc2 can't display but dc1 normal! Why?? Thanks for your help! I'm having trouble understanding your question. Is this a composite or nested datawindow? On Mon, 6 May 2002 22:49:23 +0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow spark <fenfei79@hot...

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Child datawindows (Nested DataWindows)
Hello all...I was wondering... I have used Child Datawindows for quite some time under PB9.03. These are invaluable when a user is in the Parent DataWindow and must choose a value from a list of choices provided by the Child DataWindow. The kind of Child DataWindow I am talking about is a DropDownDataWindow (DDDW). This is the only kind I have ever used. I was simply wondering whether there are more kinds of Child DataWindows other than the DDDW? Any info would be greatly appreciated.:) The next most popular use is of child DWs within Composite Presentation Style parents. Nested ...

Getting Datawindow name from datawindow child variable
Hi ! I want to get the datawindow (name) from a datawindowchild variable. But, the dwc has no way to get it. I want the code like this : datawindowchild dwc dw_1.getchild("colname", dwc) dw_2.dataobject = dwc.dataobject -------------- -> X In the above code, "dw_1.object.colname.dddw.name" is what I want. But, from the "dwc", I can't know that. Please, help! thx. You're correct. There is no way to get the datawindow name from the datawindow child, you have to ask the paren...

DataWindow Within DataWindow

DataWindows and datawindow objects

datawindow

modifiyin a datawindow in a datawindow
Hi, When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just dw1.modify() But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow in a datwindow ? I tried : dw1.dw2.modify() but that doesn't work. Anyone can help me out with this ? thanks. Regards, David get the dw via getchild & apply modify In article <4575976f.4dda.1681692777@sybase.com>, David says... > Hi, > When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just > dw1.modify() > > But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow > in a datwindow ? > I tried : dw...

Any way to get the parent of a child datawindow in a composite datawindow?
Using PB 8.0.3 9704 on Win2K. I have a DataWindowChild that came from a GetChild() call for a composite datawindow. At runtime, I don't "know" what composite datawindow is the parent of the child datawindow. Any ideas on how to get this information? I tried DataWindowChild.GetParent(). Compiles fine and "Help" says this should work, but all I get is a null object reference. Thanks in advance... Is this a problem with a poorly designed function signature? Succesfull GetChild call could ONLY have been done with having a reference to the datawindow...

GetObjectAtPointer() returns wrong child datawindow in composite datawindow
PB 7.0.3 Build 10077 I have a composite datawindow that contains a number of child datawindows. When I click in the composite dw I want the name of the child datawindow to be returned. It doesn't seem that the GetObjectAtPointer() function corresponds with the position being clicked in the composite dw. The problem is that the child datawindows will be of varying heights depending on number of rows in each datawindow. How can I make sure that when I click in the composite datawindow, the correct name of the child datawindow is being returned. Here is an excerpt of the code t...

How to? Returning FullState Blob of Datawindow with Child Datawindow with Arguments?
We've run into a problem... we have a datawindow which contains a child datawindow which requires arguments. In the component, we are doing a GetChild, SetTrans, Retrieve on the child, then a settrans and retrieve on the main. At this point, the component goes into the weeds... nothing helpful in the server log. I thought I had seen some info here relevant to this problem, but I'm not turning up much that's helpful. We're talking PB7, both for the client and component. Can someone give me a summary on how it's *supposed* to work? Some additional...

Problem with a Drop Down DataWindow (child) on a grid type DataWindow.
PB 7.02 Build 8046 on Windows NT 4.0 I have a problem with a Drop Down DataWindow (child) on a grid type DataWindow. One of the columns in my DataWindow is presenting a selection, limited (filtered) according to what the user has selected in a previous column (on the same DataWindow). The Drop Down DataWindow is not displaying the raw data (an abbreviated code), but an English text translation of the data needed. Here is my problem: When the DataWindow is activated, all data are correctly displayed (no filtering yet). When the user clicks on one of the rows and on the column, w...

Web resources about - Datawindows with child datawindows - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo