Datawindow retrieve rows in dev, retrieves no rows deployed

I created a datawindow in PB10 and given parameters it
retrieves the appropriate rows when running from
development. After deploying the application, given the
exact same parameters (hard coded) the datawindow does not
retrieve any rows.

I have seen this once before where if we had comment lines
inside of the SQL select for the DW it would not retrieve
only when deployed. This time, I have no comments and can
not find any reason why the exact same program would
retrieve differently when run in dev as opposed to deployed.
(Both being run on the same machine)

Any ideas??
0
MattR

Is the datawindow being included in the compiled app? I *always* use
PBDs to make sure that they do. If you use a single executable or
<shudder> machine code, you might have to include your datawindow in
your PBR file.

Another lead might be to trace your DBMS traffic.
SQLCA.DBMS = // whatever it is now
SQLCA.DBMS = "TRACE " + SQLCA.DBMS

Heck, it might be worthwhile to log your transaction properties just
before the call to make sure that they're staying the same as your
development environment.

MattR wrote:
> I created a datawindow in PB10 and given parameters it
> retrieves the appropriate rows when running from
> development. After deploying the application, given the
> exact same parameters (hard coded) the datawindow does not
> retrieve any rows.
>
> I have seen this once before where if we had comment lines
> inside of the SQL select for the DW it would not retrieve
> only when deployed. This time, I have no comments and can
> not find any reason why the exact same program would
> retrieve differently when run in dev as opposed to deployed.
> (Both being run on the same machine)
>
> Any ideas??
0
Jason
6/27/2008 4:13:45 PM
If you are seeing the DW (like the titles and headers) but no rows, the DW
is there.
Are you checking the returns from CONNECT and SetTransObject and Retrieve?
Is it the same user on the same DBMS instance?

"Jason 'Bug' Fenter [TeamSybase]"
<NO_SPAMMING_jason.fenter_@_teamsybase.com> wrote in message
> Is the datawindow being included in the compiled app? I *always* use PBDs
> to make sure that they do. If you use a single executable or <shudder>
> machine code, you might have to include your datawindow in your PBR file.
>
> Another lead might be to trace your DBMS traffic.
> SQLCA.DBMS = // whatever it is now
> SQLCA.DBMS = "TRACE " + SQLCA.DBMS
>
> Heck, it might be worthwhile to log your transaction properties just
> before the call to make sure that they're staying the same as your
> development environment.
>

> MattR wrote:
>> I created a datawindow in PB10 and given parameters it
>> retrieves the appropriate rows when running from
>> development. After deploying the application, given the
>> exact same parameters (hard coded) the datawindow does not
>> retrieve any rows.
>>
>> I have seen this once before where if we had comment lines
>> inside of the SQL select for the DW it would not retrieve
>> only when deployed. This time, I have no comments and can
>> not find any reason why the exact same program would
>> retrieve differently when run in dev as opposed to deployed.
>> (Both being run on the same machine)
>>
>> Any ideas??

0
Jerry
6/27/2008 4:56:24 PM
Thanks for the responses,

It was the inclusion..I checked PBD checkbox under the
deploy window and it worked.

> If you are seeing the DW (like the titles and headers) but
> no rows, the DW  is there.
> Are you checking the returns from CONNECT and
> SetTransObject and Retrieve? Is it the same user on the
> same DBMS instance?
>
> "Jason 'Bug' Fenter [TeamSybase]"
> <NO_SPAMMING_jason.fenter_@_teamsybase.com> wrote in
> message  news:486511b9$1@forums-1-dub...
> > Is the datawindow being included in the compiled app? I
> > *always* use PBDs  to make sure that they do. If you use
> > a single executable or <shudder>  machine code, you
> might have to include your datawindow in your PBR file. >
> > Another lead might be to trace your DBMS traffic.
> > SQLCA.DBMS = // whatever it is now
> > SQLCA.DBMS = "TRACE " + SQLCA.DBMS
> >
> > Heck, it might be worthwhile to log your transaction
> > properties just  before the call to make sure that
> > they're staying the same as your  development
> environment. >
> >

> > MattR wrote:
> >> I created a datawindow in PB10 and given parameters it
> >> retrieves the appropriate rows when running from
> >> development. After deploying the application, given the
> >> exact same parameters (hard coded) the datawindow does
> not >> retrieve any rows.
> >>
> >> I have seen this once before where if we had comment
> lines >> inside of the SQL select for the DW it would not
> retrieve >> only when deployed. This time, I have no
> comments and can >> not find any reason why the exact same
> program would >> retrieve differently when run in dev as
> opposed to deployed. >> (Both being run on the same
> machine) >>
> >> Any ideas??

0
MattR

retrieving from row # to row #.
I have over 750 000 rows to retrieve from a table using a datawindow, but my system can only handle approx 30 000 rows and I would like to start from the end of the table. Is it possible to set the row numbers to retrieve? For example, start the retrieve from row 750 000 and stop at row 720 000. There must be a way. thanks, Vern what backend are you using? <Vern> wrote in message news:6BA241541AAD7F2F0063357385256C40.0063358685256C40@webforums... > I have over 750 000 rows to retrieve from a table using a datawindow, but > my system can only handle approx 30 ...

Datawindow not retrieving rows
Hi All I have an application developed in PB 11.2 & SQL server 2005. One datawindow is not returning rows . If I run the sql of the DW from the back end I get 139 rows.I tried by retrieving thru DW in design time by passing the parameters.It has three parameters. (%,'S',1) . when I supply this the DW does not return rows. But if I hard code the parameters in the SQL of the DW I get 139 rows. Seems very strange . Please help. Thaks Anand Have you tried setting trace for this application ? What is return code for retrieve? Are you sure you have setTrans(Object) called ...

Retrieving all rows not just 1 row
I have a dw that is retrieving all rows not just the row that is supplied by the retrieval argument. Have debugged and everything seems to work fine. This only happens at runtime as the retrieval arg is passed from another window. Have posted the entire question in the pfc group but was hoping for a quick answer???? Thanks When you run from the datawindow painter does it retrieve just the one record? What about running through the powerbuilder IDE checking the return code of teh retrieve? Check the value of the retrieval argument you pass to the datawindow, does i...

How to stop a retrieval before first row is retrieved???????
How can a retrieval be stopped before the first row is retrieved. My connection is asynchronous and I have a button to stop the retrieval, but it does not work until the first row is retrieved. It triggers some code in the retrieve row event to stop the retrieval. Is there a better way to do this and how can I do it to where the retrieval is stopped before the first row is retrieved. Thanks a bunch for the help, I really appreciate it. ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp --------------7C8F5B8C898E794DE897B2DB Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit never start it. I will assume you have a dataobject assigned to a dwcontrol thru the properties tab. take it out of there- in you window open do: dw_1.dataobject = "d_mydata" dw_1.SetTransObject(transation) Then you won't need to stop the retrieval and you can use the button to start HTH Jerry ===================================================== Jerry Neppl PowerTeam, Inc. www.powerobjects.com jerry@powerobjects.com ===================================================== Seminar on April 26 and 27, Don't Miss it! www.powerobjects.com/seminar Dave wrote: > How can a retrieval be stopped before the first row is retrieved. My connection > is asynchronous and I have a button to stop the retrieval, but it does not work > until the first row is retri...

[question] retrieving some rows from a specific row ?
Hi, I'm trying to retrieve some rows from a specific row number in a datawindow. I don't know how I compose sql statement in sybase. I'm sure this facility is in oracle. Anybody help me. thanks in advance. The PB function is called reselectrow(row #). it Accesses the database to retrieve values for all columns that can be updated and refreshes all timestamp columns in a row in a DataWindow control or DataStore. The values from the database are redisplayed in the row. As far as recreating the Sybase statement then you would just recreate the where statement using the key values. string whatsindw whatsindw = dw_1.getitemstring(row, col) select .... from ... where key = :whatsindw; If you want them to doubleclick on a row then display the rows for that row then you would: get the key they double clicked on retrieve another dw using that key as the retrieval argument. You can look at some of the examples in powerbuilder from retrieval arguments. HTH -- Dawn T Brown Eyes (TeamPS) Seong Moon <seong@grigg.chungnam.ac.kr> wrote in article <8AxhOeng#GA.50@forums.sybase.com>... > Hi, > I'm trying to retrieve some rows from a specific row number in a > datawindow. I don't know how I compose sql statement in sybase. I'm sure > this facility is in oracle. > > Anybody help me. > thanks in advance. > > > ...

Loop to retrieve data from a table row after row
Hello, how do I have to write the loop (SQL-code) if I want to retrieve the content of the first row from a table that consists of one column and many rows and then do some calculation, next get the content of the next row and do a calculation ... until the end of the column? Thanks in advance. Bendo   I'm assuming you are using Visual Web Developer or Visual Studio 2008 (or something similar to the two) and you have  a SQL Server database. You can do calculations using a ExecuteReader() and a reader.  I can help you further with this.  Would a d...

Retrieve row value for row with delete button?
Hello,I am developing a simple ticket system and I can't figure out how to retrieve the value of a record that is not selected.  For example, I have a button in a gridview which changes the "Closed" value of that record from No, to Yes, which closes the ticket.  My problem is, I have searched and search and I can't find a way to find out what the value of the record that contains the clicked button.This is my SQL statement: myCommand = New SqlCommand("Update Tickets Set Closed='Yes',ClosedDate='" & DateTime.Now & "' WHER...

Too many rows to retrieve on datawindow
Dear all, I got a problem of retrieving data in datawindow. I am using Sybase SQL Anywhere DB and PB5. My Problem is there are too many records in the table more than 35,000 ), no joining, and it needs a lot of time to retrieve them to the datawindow. Are there any methods to improve it. ( The data is used to show only, no need to retrieve ). Thanks. Billy Hi Billy, I think your users will go mad. 35,000 rows is way to much to browse through. I would use some extra arguments, filled in by the user, to decrease the number of rows returned. HTH -- Met vri...

Help! Retrieve rows in the datawindow
Hi, When I retrieve too many rows in the datawindow preview, I get error message of access violation from Dr. Waston and pb7 terminates. What I can do is limited the retrieved rows. Has anyone seen this problem before??? And any tips on improving the performance when retrieving the data in the powerbuilder. Thanks. The only thing you can do to limit the number of rows retrieved is to place a filter onto the dw. You can also hit the cancel toolbar item to stop the retrieval before it finishes. Out of curiosity, how many rows are you returning? You may want to report this as...

DataWindow: Retrieving Huge No Of Rows
A general question: Suppose I create a dynamic datawindow. The Retrieve() may bring back a huge number of rows (too many to fit into memory). Is it safe for me to use the RowsMove() function in the RetrieveRow event? The idea is to take, say, 1000 rows, copy them to another datawindow, insert them to the destination database, and to have the original Retrieve() function continue to execute (getting the next 1000 rows for the same process all over again). TIA VictorReinhart Aside from the fact that what you're doing sounds a lot like a pipeline, and given a choice,...

datawindow does not retrieve more than 10280 rows
Hi, Is there any limit as to the maximum number of rows that a datwindow can retrieve? I think this should depend more on the size of each row. But is there any limitation on the datawindow? Thanks in Advance, Prasad I don't think there is any limitation for Retrieving Rows, Since we have a table Which is having about 1.5 Lakhs, I'm able to retrieve all records. We are using PB 6.0 Bye Vasu It is only limited by available memory. If your rows are 2K wide, expect to retrieve 10 times less rows that if your rows are 200 bytes wide. steve [TeamS...

Retrieve data row by row and multiple SELECT statements.
hai to all experts out there,can somebody help me please! I would like to do this sql select statement in vb.net in order to display the output in a gridview. I have a table name TBL_DOC consist of ID,DOC_NO,PIC_FLAG,MPIC1,MPIC2,MPIC3,MPIC4 ,MPIC5 columns. My intention is first i want to retrieve PIC_FLAG column data from all rows in TBL_DOC table  row by row like this: SELECT PIC_FLAG FROM TBL_DOC and then if PIC_FLAG = 'MPIC1' i want to do another select statement like this in the same table: SELECT ID,DOC_NO,PIC_FLAG,MPIC1 FROM TBL_DOC where PIC_FLAG = 'MPIC1' AND MPIC1 ='USER_EMAIL'  and then if PIC_FLAG = 'MPIC2' i want to do another select statement like this: SELECT ID,DOC_NO,PIC_FLAG,MPIC2 FROM TBL_DOC where PIC_FLAG = 'MPIC2' AND MPIC2 ='USER_EMAIL'  and the same if PIC_FLAG = 'MPIC3' and 'MPIC4' and 'MPIC5' Can i combine all this select statement into 1 statement only. The final output display in the gridview will be all document that have the USER_EMAIL in all MPIC list based on the PIC_FLAG. Could someone please give me an idea or example because i'm just a beginner and totally blind in this. Thanks in advance.   Do you use StoredProcedure? If yes, you just need to pass the parameters Flag and UserEmail like: Declare @SQL Varchar(MAX) SET @SQL = 'SELECT ID,DOC_NO,PIC_FLAG,''' + @Flag  + ''' FROM TBL_DOC where...

Retrieving Datawindow children across rows
Hi- I want to do something, but as of yet, been unable and maybe it is not possible. Here's what I want. I have a datawindow with multiple rows and 2 columns. The first column is a job title column and the second is a drop-down datawindow with employee names. I want the drop-down datawindow column to be retrieved based on the value of the job title column. When I use the getchild and retrieve method in the retrievestart event for the 2nd column, it will retrieve all dropdowns to the same value, whichever I specify in the retrieval. If I use script in the retrieve row even...

'row changed between retrieve and update' locks the row?
My app got a 'row changed between retrieve and update' error. I understand why this happens. I have seen this before w/ oracle and sysbase back ends and I could just exit the window or app, reenter and it will be 'cleared' and you can go back in and do a update. But w/ sql server when I try and update the same row after reentering the same message appears. We even bounced the DB engine and nothing seems to 'clear' the lock or whatever is being held. the dw is using the 'delete then insert' update switch. Anybody have any ideas? THANKS! What do you ha...

ROWS RETRIEVED
Hi all!! Thanks good I have newsgrowps! I have a greed data window, an I have to display between 35,000 and 70,000 rows. I'm using SetPointer(HourGlass!) function, but this function can't say me if the data is being retrieved. Can any body say me how can I use a progress bar when retrieve data in the datawindow? Or can be something like displaying the current row that is being retrieved in a static text to show the user to be patien. Thanks! You need to use the RetrieveRow event to do this, however, be warned that this may impact your performance....

No Rows Retrieved
I am familiar with the datawindow but a novice with VB.net. I am trying to do a simple retrieval with one argument (a case number) but it is returning 0 rows. It works fine in the database painter for .Net datawindow, but not in the application. Any help would be appreciated. Below is the relevant code (I think): ' 'gnv_tran ' Me.gnv_tran.AutoCommit = True Me.gnv_tran.Database = "imdsplus" Me.gnv_tran.Dbms = Sybase.DataWindow.DbmsType.OleDb Me.gnv_tran.DbParameter = "PROVIDER='SQLOLEDB',DATASOURCE='dw-dev'" Me....

Can the dw tell me how many rows are going to be retrieved before the retrieve starts?
Hi folks I want to implement a progress bar to show a reasonably accurate representation of rows retrieved and the realtime progress of such. I could do this cheaply by just saying it's 50% at start and 100% at retrieve end but that's not very realistic. Therefore I need to know how many rows will be retrieved prior to actually starting the retrieve. Is there an dw event that offers such a value? The only way I can think of doing this if the above idea is not possible is by stripping out unnecessary columns and do a bare bones retrieve first, but that seems like ...

datawindow problem: Row Changed Between Retrieve and Update
Hello. I am using a stored procedure inside a datawindow to update one table. when I ran my datawindow inside DataWindow Builder, I got an error message said: "Row Changed Between Retrieve and Update, No change made to database." When I used the same datawindow inside PowerJ3.5, i got the same error message, but the stored procedure was called successfully. The database was updated even though the error message from datawindow said it didn't. I don't understand why the stored procedure inside my datawindow worked in PowerJ but not in dataWindow Builder, and i don...

Datawindow retrieve with "ROWS As Needed" ON.
I work with Access database and I have a table with hundred of thousand of rows and I need to retrieve rows to the datawindow just page by page ( So I would not have to wait along time after retrieving all data at once ) , so I set the property (in the data window builder) for " ROWS | Retrieve | As Needed " this works except it always pops up an ODBC select datasource browser . When I run exactly the same code except the "ROWS | Retrieve | As Needed" is OFF every thing is OK and NO datasource browser shown. Is anyone no what should I do to prevent the datasource browser pops up ? If you look a the documentation, it says that DataWindows that have sorted data or contain aggregate functions like SUM won't work with 'Rows as Needed'. Maybe specifying 'Rows as Needed' on these type of DataWindows confuses the OCX? Since all of the DataWindows I use are sorted and/or contain aggregate functions, I haven't had any use for this 'feature'. best regards, jeff Lili Even wrote: > I work with Access database and I have a table with hundred of > thousand > of rows and I need to retrieve rows to the datawindow just page by > page > ( So I would not have to wait along time after retrieving all data at > once ) , so I set the property (in the data window builder) for " ROWS > | > Retrieve | As Needed " this works except it always pops up an ODBC > select datasou...

Getting a datawindow with a retreival argument to retrieve all rows.
How do you get a datwindow to retrieve all rows if it has a retrival argument? ie: dw_1.Retrieve(100) // all employees in dept 100 dw_1.Retrieve(*) // how do I get the dw to select * ??? Thanks Gene Change your select statement to use a like: select * from employees where dept_id like :dept Now you can pass a wildcard like '%' Or alternatively you need to modify your select at runtime and remove the where clause. Terry Dykstra (TeamPS) Gene C <genec@cat.bbsr.edu> wrote in article <01bc9e9f$d92c2970$3e01a8c0@genec>... > How do ...

Datawindow stop to retrieve if there is no row for Inkpicture Object
Hi All I put in a datawindow some columns and an InkPicture object, which gets blob data from another table. I retrieve the datawindow but it stops to retrieve without any error, if there is no row for InkPicture object in the table. I suppose that InkPicture gets the data as a compute column but it doesn't. I think it is a bug. Dou you have any sollution? Thanks Murat Yelkovan InkPictrue is not usefull. I retrieve 30.000 rows in datawindow and InkPicture try to retrieve 30.000 picture. But it is freeform datawindow. Is there any option to retri...

Datawindow based on stored procedure does not retrieve all rows
I built a datawindow (PB10.2.1.9731) based on a stored procedure (MS SQL Server 2000). The datawindow is missing random rows from the stored procedure's output. If I run the stored procedure in TSQL, using my "sample" argument values I get 300 rows (a number I believe to be correct). When I use the datawindow to run the stored procedure (using the exact same values that I used in TSQL), I get 281 rows. The data window has no filters, computations, etc., to cause this behavior. I have no idea how to even begin to troubleshoot the problem. Suggestions? Please......

Retrieving several Rows, but present them in one DataWindow
My problem is, that I have one DataWindow and there should appear more rows I previously retrieved. Is this possible or should I split up my DataWindow? Thanks! Do you mean you want to retrieve some rows without discarding the rows that were already there? If so, then return 2 from the retrievestart event. Simon "Christian Schmidbauer" <christian.schmidbauer@mapware.de> wrote in message news:ndPbGWbDAHA.281@forums.sybase.com... > My problem is, that I have one DataWindow and there should appear > more rows I previously retrieved. Is this possible or sh...

Datawindow retrieve with "ROWS As Needed" ON.
I work with Access database and I have a table with hundred of thousand of rows and I need to retrieve rows to the datawindow just page by page ( So I would not have to wait along time after retrieving all data at once ) , so I set the property (in the data window builder) for " ROWS | Retrieve | As Needed " this works except it always pops up an ODBC select datasource browser . When I run exactly the same code except the "ROWS | Retrieve | As Needed" is OFF every thing is OK and NO datasource browser shown. Is anyone no what should I do to prevent the datasource b...

Web resources about - Datawindow retrieve rows in dev, retrieves no rows deployed - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo