Datawindow column names

We have some datawindows that are fairly large (75Kb+), with 220+
columns (there is a lot of Oracle decoding going on) as well as some
computed columns. Every time that we change the SQL statement, the
datawindow painter changes the name of the columns, prefixing the column
names with the table names. What are the rules concerning what type of
change to the datawindow SQL statement causes this to happen? And is
there a way to configure/fool the datawindow painter to stop it from
renaming the columns everytime we modify the SQL?
This is PB5.0.2 on Win95 running against Oracle 7.2.
Thanks
Alex Justman
Alex_Justman@ccgate.apl.com
0
Alex_Justman

I've encoutered the same problem. It happen when you use computed fields
like
select sum(column1)
from ..
you can give a name to your computed column:
    select 'name computed column1' = sum(column1)
    from ..
The name will be always the same and you can change the definition of the
compute without get a renamed column.

I think, you can't configure PB to stop renaming column.

Regards
Fred

Alex_Justman@ccgate.apl.com a �crit dans le message
<34BD09BB.2963@ccgate.apl.com>...
>We have some datawindows that are fairly large (75Kb+), with 220+
>columns (there is a lot of Oracle decoding going on) as well as some
>computed columns. Every time that we change the SQL statement, the
>datawindow painter changes the name of the columns, prefixing the column
>names with the table names. What are the rules concerning what type of
>change to the datawindow SQL statement causes this to happen? And is
>there a way to configure/fool the datawindow painter to stop it from
>renaming the columns everytime we modify the SQL?
>This is PB5.0.2 on Win95 running against Oracle 7.2.
>Thanks
>Alex Justman
>Alex_Justman@ccgate.apl.com

0
Frederic

How can I get the column name of a datawindow column?
I want to get the column name in tablename.columnname format. I have tried to get it using dbname property. However, I found that it work only if the tables in the datawindow are inner join. If the tables in the datawindow are outer join, the dbname only return the columnname and the tablename is missed. Do you have any idea? Charles You could add the name to the select clause or to the tag property. Or you caould check to see if it is a join or not (by seeing if there is a '.' in the column name) if not then get the sql select statment and parse to find the table...

How to use a full column name (table name and column name) with a DataReader
Hi, I have a problem retrieving the data with a DataReader from a stored proc that performs a join of two table with the same column's names but different data. Let me explain with an example: I have two tables: Table1: Id, Name Table2: Id, Name, IdTable1 The sproc is something like this: CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[SearchByName] (@Name nvarchar(40)) AS BEGIN SELECT * FROM dbo.Table1, dbo.Table2 WHERE Table1.Id = Table2.IdTable1 AND Table1.Name LIKE '%' + @Name + '%' END And my c# code is something like this: Database db = Databas...

Datawindow Column Names
Hi, Does anyone remember what the dwSyntax command is to return the columns on a datawindow (in an array format)? I cannot seem to find it in the help. Thanks, Jim you can read the source code of f_dw_get_objects in PFC, or just retrieve columns list by dw.object.datawindow.objects. Jim Cuoco <cuoco@ma.ultranet.com> wrote in message news:JADvY3tnBHA.133@forums.sybase.com... > Hi, > > Does anyone remember what the dwSyntax command is to return the columns > on a datawindow (in an array format)? I cannot seem to find it in the help. > >...

Datawindow Column Name
Hi, Is it possible to get a datawindow's column name from it's dbname. I need do a find on the datawindow using the column name but since our column names are created dynamically i.e col1, col2 etc i need to find the corresponding column name to it's dbname. Thanks I'm not getting entirely what you're trying to achieve, but here are some hints. When you create a datawindow from a SQL Select statement for each of the db columns from your statement PB generates corresponding DW column (control). If you observe the Column Specification pane in the Datawindo...

Datawindow Column name
Hi, How i can to get the column's name with it index. I tried this in a datawindow with 10 columns: ----------------- String name; int i; for i=1 to dw.rowCount() name = dw.describe("#" + i + ".name") messagebox("",name) next ----------------- but when i going to try it only show me the name of the first column (1) dont work with 2,3... etc. you know any other method ?? What i can do ?? regards You are looping on a rowcount() - it does NOT have anything to do with column count. Yup. You need to use Integer (Describe ("...

datawindow column names and multi-table datawindows 5.0.04 -> 6.5
Has anybody out there noticed problems with the dynamic creation of multi-table datawindows and referring to the datawindow columns? In 5.0.04 PowerBuilder automatically prefixed each datawindow column with the table name(e.g. table_name_column_name). This is now broken in PB 6.5. Why did this change in 6.5? What necessitated this change so that all Sybase customers are forced to perform costly regression testing on PowerBuilder applications? Windows 95 PB Enterprise 6.5 ODBC - any dbms( Sql Any, MS SQL, Oracle, Sybase ASE, Quadbase ) ...

datawindow.column.count not returning the column count of a datawindow
I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a datawindow. It just started happening with PB 6.501 and still works fine in PB 5.0. The function that looks at this property is in an ancestor userobject. The dataobject is assigned at this point but all other properties of the datawindow are missing. Any suggestions? Don't recall, but was it still dwDescribe() in version 5.0? If it was that may be your problem. HTH Kent Montgomery wrote: > I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a > datawindow. It just started happenin...

How does a datawindow column get its name?
Q: How does a column get its name? Pretext: Datawindow is built using Tabular - SQL Select - and Converted to Syntax. On existing datawindow - the column names have been modified to strip off the table names (so table name "company" was stripped from column name "company_code" to make it as just "code"). Change: I was changing this existing datawindow - adding one another column. After adding the column into the SQL-SELECT, the datawindow display warning message as "SELECT change has forced update specification change" ( I have update properties specified) and "The action just taken has forced the preview view to be rebuilt. You may need to re-retrieve your data." And what I see is some of the existing columns have disappeared. Because they are renamed now, they move at the end - so here the "code" has been renamed as "company_code". But that name too is not consistent. If I have multiple tables in FROM clause, and I change the table order, I am not sure which table name will be used as a prefix to the column name. So my question is: How does a datawindow column get its name? TIA Yogee [PB 9.0 Build 6086] If there is only 1 table in the FROM clause, the datawindow columns will be just the database column without the table name prepended. With multiple tables, however, the table name is prepended to the column name with an underline as a separator to prevent abig...

Datawindow Column Name Generation
With every(may be most) release, PB has been changing the way it names columns when the SQL is changed for a datawindow. Some of my datawindows, since 4.0, I have to export, change SQL and import to avoid my computes being commented out and all my layout screwed up because it deletes invalid columns. I have even added columns using this technique. Sometimes it becomes very difficult and have to rebuild the whole layout. It would be nice if a standard method is adopted. --------- Srinivas --------- ...

Column names in an N-UP datawindow
I have an N-Up datawindow that has 6 columns with only 2 being displayed. When I loop through my dataobject to get the names of the columns, 6 are returned, but the names of the 2 on the datawindow have a '_2' after the name. I was actually expecting to have 8 columns returned with two having '_1' and two having '_2' at the end of the names. I am running PB 7.0.2 Build 8046. Here's a sample of the code: ii_dw_numofcolumns = Integer(ids_parse.Object.DataWindow.Column.Count) *Should this be returning 8, maybe? For li_columncounter = 1 to ii_dw_numofcolumns is_dwcolumns[li_columncounter] = ids_parse.Describe("#" + String(li_columncounter) + ".Name") End For TIA for any help, -- Aimee Stephens Object Administrator Phoenix Systems, Inc. (404) 633-6465 ext.240 nospamaimee@phoenix-systems-inc.com ...

how to get all the column names from datawindow
I would like to get all the column names from datawindow. any help apppreciated TIA //1. Column names Int li_col_count, ls_columns[] li_col_count = integer(idw.Describe("DataWindow.Column.Count")) FOR i = 1 TO li_col_count ls_columns[i] = idw.Describe("#" + String(i) + ".Name") Next //2. If you need to include CF's look at the Object.DataWindow.Objects string (tab separated) and parse it back to an array of DW objects. hth > I would like to get all the column names from datawindow. > > any help apppreciated > TIA...

SqlBulkCopy: the locale id '0' of the source column '<column name> ' and the locale id '1033' of the destination column '<column name>' do not match.
Hi, I am using the sqlbulkcopy object to transfer large amount of data from one SQL server to Other. The code look like this.. SqlDataReader readerSrc = null;SqlBulkCopy bulkCopy = new SqlBulkCopy(connDest);//Prepare Destination Table.SqlCommand cmdDelete = new SqlCommand("DELETE FROM " + destTableName, connDest);//Set the sqlcommand textSqlCommand cmdGet = new SqlCommand("SELECT * FROM " + srcTableName, connSrc);//Open source connection.connSrc.Open();//Open destination connection.connDest.Open();int delete = cmdDelete.ExecuteNonQuery();//Get the data.readerSrc = cmdGet.ExecuteReader();//begin transfering data to destinationbulkCopy.DestinationTableName = destTableName;bulkCopy.BatchSize = 100;bulkCopy.WriteToServer(readerSrc); bulkCopy.Close();connSrc.Close();connDest.Close(); but I get this error when it runs. Data is going to be copied from SQL 7.0 server and inserted into SQL2000 database. the locale id '0' of the source column '<column name> ' and the locale id '1033' of the destination column '<column name>' do not match. I have checked the columns and types on both server are exactly the same accept the constrians on the source (sql7.0) does not exist on the destination (sql2000). this souldn't be problem. however, if I peform this operation with the same version of SQL server (from sql2000 to sql2000), it works! :-( can anyone help me out here? please Thanks in advance.[#Hardcoder#] Martix Codes:I have checked the columns and...

What are valid datawindow column names?
Hi, PB 10.5.1. For an application where the column names of a dynamically created datawindow are depending on names that users specify via our user interface, we need to know which names are valid column names in order to validate the user input. The main reason for this is that users want to have these as column headers in exported files (Excel, txt, csv...), created via datawindow.saveas(). Some users will use Asian characters for this. We could not find any documentation on this. The documentation on valid identifier names seems to refer to PowerScript, not to ...

Column named changed in datawindow!
I am trying to update a existing datawindow with some new columns. Once I have selected the columns the names of ALL columns disappear and are replaced with "compute_0001, compute_0002, compute_0003," etc. In the column specifications box I see the compute name is in both the name and the DB Name boxes. This also happens if I try to create a new datawindow. However, the text labels have the correct name. This obviously won't do. In my testing I have discovered it only happens if there is an @ sign in the column name. Now we have been using @ signs in column names (an...

Datawindow table and column names delimiter
Hi All, I am developing an application on ASE 11.9 with PB 7.0.3, but sometimes I take my application to my home computer and work with it there. I have ASA that came with my copy of PB 7 and to make my datawindow's SQL look like ASE 11.9, I'd like to get rid of the quotes PB puts in the datawindow SQL enclosing table and column names. I believe this is done through a parameter in the DBParm option of the profile. If it is, which parameter is that and how do I define it so I will not have the quotes in tables and column names on my datawindow SQL? TIA, Ivan ...

Datawindow retrieving column with wrong name
To all: In support of an app, I noticed that a field in a datawindow was not updatable at runtime. I went to the Update properties of the datawindow, and sure enough, this column was not selected as an updatable column for the dw. I selected the column, adding it to the list. When attempting to close the Updatable columns window, I received an error message similar to the following: "Cannot update column object, field "cor_results_insignificant_di" not in table "table_name". However, the actual name of the field is "cor_results_insignificant_disease...

DW Designer Column Name vs. Database Column name use in expressions
Can you access the DW Designer column name in expressions (I have used the database column name, but have had no luck figuring out how to access the Designer column name). thanks, David I'm not sure you can. What are you trying to accomplish? There might be another way of doing it. Regards, Dave Fish Sybase TechWave 2005! www.sybase.com/techwave Download an evaluation version of DataWindow .NET 1.5 Today!: www.sybase.com/datawindow.net DataWindow.NET code examples available on CodeXchange: http://datawindownet.codexchange.sybase.com PowerBuilder 10.5 Beta available August 15th: http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1036811 On 18 Aug 2005 07:46:21 -0700, "David" <drlemieux@comcast.net> wrote: >Can you access the DW Designer column name in expressions (I have used the >database column name, but have had no luck figuring out how to access the >Designer column name). > >thanks, >David > > Dave, I am using the N-Up report (3 newspaper columns), each N-Up column has checkbox (outFlag), PersonName, Phone. I need to hide the phone number if a checkbox is checked (out-of-office flag). Now the problem appears that if you have a database column name "OutFlag", it will not be identifable for what N-Up column it is in (DWDesigner assigns outflag_1, outflag_2, outflag_3 to identify each field for the N-Up columns I guess for internal use), but expressions can only refer t...

max no of chars of each column in powerbuilder datawindow
Hi ! I'm using powerbuilder 5.0 what's the max no of char(s) of each column in powerbuilder datawindow ... !? i found i can only input 200 char in a column as no limit set in the column ..... Pls advise ... JJ There is no restrictive limit the DW puts on column lengths, but your database may limit you. If you can't enter more data into your column then either make your column bigger or turn on vertical or horizontal scrolling. Regards, John Team Sybase "JJ" <jasonyklau@sinaman.com> wrote in message news:HbllVTg3CHA.187@forums.sybase...

Error Invalid column name (In Sqlserver 2005) While giving Alias column name
ALTER procedure [dbo].[MyPro](@StartRowIndex int,@MaximumRows int) As Begin Declare @Sel Nvarchar(2000)set @Sel=N'Select *,Row_number() over(order by myId) as ROWNUM from MyFirstTable Where ROWNUM Between ' + convert(nvarchar(15),@StartRowIndex) + ' and ('+ convert(nvarchar(15),@StartRowIndex) + '+' + convert(nvarchar(15),@MaximumRows) + ')-1' print @Sel Exec Sp_executesql @Sel End   --Execute Mypro 1,4        --->>Here I Executed  Error Select *,Row_number() over(order by myId) as ROWNUM from My...

Dynamically changing DataWindow column names
I need a way to "Dynamically change DataWindow column names". This so that when a user wants to save a datawindow as an excel file, that a more user-friendly column name can be used instead of the cryptic database column name. Please advise. Thank you. Dynamically create an external dw with all the columns you want and column names you want. Then move the data from original dw to know dw, and then call saveas(). It does not need any formatting. Create a external dw, export to syntax, look at how its structured. Then you can dynamically build one very easily by loop...

column name changing on external datawindow
I've created an external datawindow with approximately 20 columns. After adding several new ones thru the view column specs, the names of one or two columns changes. I've deleted the datawindow and rebuilt it and it still happens. The names are correct and match the dbname. I've also regenned and optimized the pbl. It's almost as if there's a bug in 702 build 8003. This is very annoying, any ideas? export the dw (or use View Source in PB9), use a program like notepad and check the names there.. correct and import again. Ben <miguel> wrote in message ne...

Crosstab datawindow column header names ???
I am trying to read column header values of a crosstab datawindow : - I tried GetItemString ( ), but what are the names of the text header fields : I only got the column name defined at design time. - A Describe ( "DataWindow.Crosstab.Columns" ) also give me names at design time. Thank you for your ideas... IIIP wrote: > > I am trying to read column header values of a crosstab datawindow : > - I tried GetItemString ( ), but what are the names of the text header fields : I only got the column name > defined at design time. > - A Describe ( "DataWindow....

CrossTab Datawindows and Getting the Column Names
Hi, I'm kind of new to the Crosstab Datawindow. Currently, we are trying to develop a Crosstab Datawindow to show a grid similar to: Extra Small Small Medium Large Extra Large Blue 1 Red 1 Green 1 Yellow 1 with empty boes to type in. This would be used when someone is taking an order for shirts, for example. I can pretty much get this far. My problem is when I am trying to get the name for the Columns. I am using the...

dot notation for datawindow column name
Dear all, I use ls_colname =GetColumnname() to get the column in a datawindow event. What is the dot notation script instead of the above function? Thank you. <DW Control Name>.Object.<Columnname>.Name use your dwsyn man. "SkyRaider" <toonyew@maxis.net.my> wrote in message news:w0TXYZmDBHA.269@forums.sybase.com... > Dear all, > I use ls_colname =GetColumnname() to get the column in a datawindow event. > What is the dot notation script instead of the above function? > > Thank you. > > > > There isn't a...

Web resources about - Datawindow column names - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo