Data type 'long' of Oracle vs Powerbuilder

Does any one have a idea of using oracle
field of type 'long' in datawindow? or
powerbuilder?

the story is following:
I have one mis application that user need to
entry a lot of text into database (in order
entry). While the field type of varchar can
only support 2000 characters the most. So we
decide to use 'long' type field, and the
problem happen, I don't know how to access
long type field in Powerbuilder (I use pb5.0)
..

Does everyone know anything? help me.

a very urgent man in computer room.....:(

0
daniel

Take a look at the SelectBlob(), UpdateBlob() functions.
--
Terry Dykstra [TeamPS]
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

daniel tseng <danielt@scientek.com.tw> wrote in article
<34F22828.AC18725A@scientek.com.tw>...
> Does any one have a idea of using oracle
> field of type 'long' in datawindow? or
> powerbuilder?
>
> the story is following:
> I have one mis application that user need to
> entry a lot of text into database (in order
> entry). While the field type of varchar can
> only support 2000 characters the most. So we
> decide to use 'long' type field, and the
> problem happen, I don't know how to access
> long type field in Powerbuilder (I use pb5.0)
> .
>
> Does everyone know anything? help me.
>

> a very urgent man in computer room.....:(

0
Terry

Stored Procedures and 'long' vs. 'number' data type
If I create a datawindow fed by a stored procedure, I'll sometimes get an error if I specify the type as 'long' in the dw and the value that is returned by the stored procedure is negative. I think the error is "Numeric value out of range". If I change the type in the dw to 'number', all is well. I guess my overriding question is, are there any negative implications in using 'number' as the data type in the datawindow as opposed to 'long'? I'm using PB 9.0, build 6066, and MS SQL2000 on the backend. The data type being returned...

Bit Data type column from Database to ASP Data grid getting error Cast from type 'DbDataRecord' to type 'Boolean' is not valid.
I have bit Datatype column in my table and I am putting this table into ASP datagrid  I have created a check box in thiscolumn in datagrid using itemtemplate.  so this bit column should have a check box next to it in datagrid but I am getting this when running the app  Cast from type 'DbDataRecord' to type 'Boolean' is not valid. any one know any thing about this issue Hi, khana04: I am not sure about what you are going to do about convert DbDataRecord to Boolean. Would u please show us some code about  it. However, the following code works fine for me to retrive t...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Data.DataView' to type 'System.Data.DataTable'.
what is my problem? I'm working with GridView for sorting The error message is that "Unable to cast object of type 'System.Data.DataView' to type 'System.Data.DataTable'".... Dim m_DataTable As DataTable = GridView1.DataSource How can I change the code above?   Well let's see, if your DataSource is a DataView, you can get its associated DataTable object using the .Table property: Dim m_DataTable As DataTable = GridView1.DataSource.Table or in a land of strict typing:  Dim m_DataTable As DataTable = CType(GridView1.DataSource, System.Data.DataView).Table   Hope tha...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Data.DataView' to type 'System.Data.DataTable'.
When I click the sort hyperlink, I got this error mesg: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Data.DataView' to type 'System.Data.DataTable'.  in line 5.How do I fix this? Thanks. 1 Protected Sub GVCRlisting_Sorting(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewSortEventArgs) Handles GVCRlisting.Sorting 2 GridViewSortExpression = e.SortExpression 3 Dim pageIndex As Integer = GVCRlisting.PageIndex 4 5 GVCRlisting.DataSource = SortDataTable(GVCRlisting.DataSource, False) 6 GVCRlisting....

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Data.Common.DataRecordInternal' to type 'System.Data.DataRowView'.
Hi... I have a ListView which is nested in the ItemTemplate of another ListView. If a "status" value in the inner ListView = 1, then I'd like to hide the "Add to cart" link. However, the inner ListView's ItemDataBound event results in the error: "Unable to cast object of type 'System.Data.Common.DataRecordInternal' to type 'System.Data.DataRowView'." I've thoroughly searched the forums, but have not found a solution to this seemingly straightforward problem. Here is the code; the error occurs at line 8. 1 protected void L...

DBD::Oracle and strange problem with Oracle error 'ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column' when data not LONG
------=_NextPart_000_0154_01C4C321.83509550 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0155_01C4C321.83509550" ------=_NextPart_001_0155_01C4C321.83509550 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I had an application that was processing a bunch of xml and inserting into a table with a bunch of VARCHAR2(4000) columns. A couple of the entries I was processing caused the 'ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column' error. I put checks in for the length o...

Cannot convert type 'type' to 'type'

FW: DBD::Oracle and strange problem with Oracle error 'ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column' when data not LONG
------=_NextPart_000_004D_01C4CC86.09210760 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_004E_01C4CC86.09210760" ------=_NextPart_001_004E_01C4CC86.09210760 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I never got any response to my question about this problem. I thought I'd try again. This is DBD::Oracle 1.16, DBI 1.45, Oracle 9i (9.2), Linux, Perl 5.8.5. Thanks, Susan _____ From: Susan Cassidy [mailto:cassidy@systransoft.com] Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 10:23 ...

Error type 'System.Data.DataTable' to type 'PRODUCT_LISTDataTable'
I can't figure this one out. I created new solution in vs2005 from using vs2003 and I have a problem I can't find an answer to. I get the following error that relates to passing a system.data.datatable to a dataset.datatable named "ProductList.PRODUCT_LISTDataTable".  It says it can't cast the object from one type to the other, and I've tried "CType" and doesn't work. Error: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Data.DataTable' to type 'PRODUCT_LISTDataTable'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trac...

PowerBuilder and Oracle 10g: Invalid stored procedure parameter type 'BOOLEAN'
Hi, I am getting the following error message while executing a procedure 'update_status' in the package pkg_test. Invalid 'Stored procedure parameter type of boolean on DDD' Here is the signnature of the procedure. pkg_test.update_status(AAA varchar2, BBB number, CCC number, DDD varchar2, EEE boolean default false)=91 and the way of calling this procedure is pkg_test.update_status ('TEST',12,2345,'PLEASEWORK',TRUE) The communication between the powerbuilder 10.5 and oracle10g is through the ORACLE 10g drivers. After the execution the SQLCA.SQ...

Web resources about - Data type 'long' of Oracle vs Powerbuilder - sybase.powerbuilder.general