Connecting to sql server 2000 via ole db in Powerbuilder 7

I'm trying to do a direct connect to sql server 2000 using ole db.  I've
got one connectstring in my application (powerbuilder) that is accessing
the database via odbc.  I want to access a different database (for security
purposes) using ole db.  Is this possible?
Here are my parameters:

sqlca.dbms = ole db
sqlca.database = picard
sqlca.logid = picard
sqlca.logpass = picard
sqlca.servername = picardsqld1

Can someone please help with the syntax on connecting to this database.
Thanks...
0
Beverly_Burse

It's possible, but oledb in PB7 doesn't work well at all.  It's apparently
possible using the right mixture of builds to get something acceptable, but
we gave it in as a bad job.  Is there any reason you can't use odbc or the
MSS native driver?

--
All views expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of
my employer

<Beverly_Burse> wrote in message
> I'm trying to do a direct connect to sql server 2000 using ole db.  I've
> got one connectstring in my application (powerbuilder) that is accessing
> the database via odbc.  I want to access a different database (for
security
> purposes) using ole db.  Is this possible?
> Here are my parameters:
>
> sqlca.dbms = ole db
> sqlca.database = picard
> sqlca.logid = picard
> sqlca.logpass = picard
> sqlca.servername = picardsqld1
>
> Can someone please help with the syntax on connecting to this database.
> Thanks...

0
Simon
8/21/2002 9:19:19 AM
No, there's no reason why I can't use ODBC.  I'm just trying to eliminate
any access to the security database outside of the application.

Thanks for your help.
0
Beverly_Burse
8/21/2002 3:17:27 PM
Try this for MS SQL Server 2000:

DBMS=ole db
DBParm = "PROVIDER='SQLOLEDB',DATASOURCE='SERVERNAME',
PROVIDERSTRING='database=DBNAME;app=APPNAME'"
logid=SQLUSERID
logpass=(whatever)

Please note the single quotes within the double quotes!

OLE DB works better with PB8.  I can't vouch for PB7 but most
of the troubles I've seen with OLE DB involve the DW painter and
the IDE more than a running app.

The APP parameter gives the APPNAME name to the SQL Server
process so you can identify which program is running either
by displaying the sysprocesses table or running procedure
SP_WHO2 (which is in SQL Server but not documented).

0
woz
8/21/2002 4:16:41 PM
"woz", I modified the script to set up the parameters as you stated.  My
return code after my "connect" parameter is 0, but it appears that I'm
never actually connecting to the database.
Question???  Is it true that when using ole db, I can access the database
directly, meaning, I don't have to set up an datasource connection (like I
would on odbc)???  I don't understand why I'm not connecting and why I'm
not receiving an error code.  I just want to connect to the database and
verify the userid/password and then disconnect.

Here is a sample of what's in my cb_ok button of the logon window:

sqlca.autocommit= true
sqlca.dbms = 'ole db'
sqlca.logid = 'bburse'
sqlca.logpass = '*******'
sqlca.database = 'application_security'
//
//MR populate the DBparm values with the Entered LogID/Passwd/Servername

sqlca.dbparm =
"Provider='sqloledb',datasource='sql2000d1',providerstring='database=application_security;app=''"

connect;   // attempt to connect to the Application Security database

if sqlca.sqlcode <> 0 or sqlca.sqldbcode <> 0 then
        Messagebox('Connection Failed', "Click OK to Exit .", Stopsign!)
        Halt Close
end if

What am I doing wrong???
0
Beverly
8/23/2002 2:56:54 PM
You may find it better to use a .udl file to contain your connection
parameters.  Even if you dynamically build the .udl file (just a unicode
text file) from your application. The .udl file will make the connection
process much faster. My experience in PB7 was the .udl file seemed to handle
the subtle issues better than putting things in the dbparm  This problem
appears to be fixed PB 8.02.9601 and PB 9.0.2525.  Still the .udl is handy.

0
Tyler

Considerations converting powerbuilder connection from the native sql server connection to OLE DB
We have an application which was upgraded from PB8.0.3 to PB9 (original build) . The application formerly used sql servers native connection. The application is now coded to use OLEDB. We are running into minor issues that were not present with the native connection. Example: you have a stored procedure called "sp_test" that has one argument, @dummy. We would normally execute the procedure like this: EXEC sp_test 'test_value' ^ But when using OLE-DB, you have to include the parameter name, like this: EXEC sp_test @dummy='test_value' ^ Now we ...

connecting to SQL Server 7 using ole db provider for Sql Server
I had problems trying to do this with a grid so I am now trying to add a new connection in the Server Explorer. I added all the neccessary info and when I hit "Test Connection" it is successful but when I ckick on "OK" I get an error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Anybody know what is wrong? Thanks....

Problems with db-library and ODBC using with MS SQL Server ver 7.0 PowerBuilder ver 6.5. And OLE-DB for Microsoft OLAP Services
There are many problems when running the aplication using the new ODBC driver for SQL ver 7. Simple, does not work. It�s any patch to this problem ? Using DB Library makes poor query plans in some case using SQL Server 7.0. It�s any path ? It�s any patch or utility to use OLE-DB for connecting Microsoft OLAP Services ? Carlos Lara darsa@solnet.com.mx ...

connecting PowerBuilder 10 to MS-SQL Server using OLE DB: Problems with trailing blanks in StringType Data
HI. We work on a project using PowerBuilder 9.0.1 connected to a MS-SQL Server DataBase. Now we want to upgrade to PB 10, and we've realized that we have to use OLE DB to connect to our DataBase. OK, we've made the connection via OLE DB, now we are starting to have some unexpected troubles.. For instance: In datawindows retrieving String Type data, the OLE DB connection give us all the string data without trimming the trailing blank spaces...With PowerBuilder 9 (and its native MSSQL Server interface), the String data would come all trimmed down...i.e.: "HELLO"...

connecting PowerBuilder 10 to MS-SQL Server using OLE DB: Problems with trailing blanks in StringType Data
HI. We work on a project using PowerBuilder 9.0.1 connected to a MS-SQL Server DataBase. Now we want to upgrade to PB 10, and we've realized that we have to use OLE DB to connect to our DataBase. OK, we've made the connection via OLE DB, now we are starting to have some unexpected troubles.. For instance: In datawindows retrieving String Type data, the OLE DB connection give us all the string data without trimming the trailing blank spaces...With PowerBuilder 9 (and its native MSSQL Server interface), the String data would come all trimmed down...i.e.: "HELLO"...

powerbuilder connection to sql server 2000
Hi everyone, when I try to connect to our sql server 2000 db i get this error message. SQLSTATE = S1003 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Program type out of range. How do I fix this. Mark ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp I'll have to guess, since you didn't provide the info, but you must be using a rather old version of PB (i.e., 6.5 or earlier). MS updated ODBC to support additional datatypes and PB was updated to support them subsequently. On 30 Dec 2004 17:26:32 -0800, "mark" &l...

ole db connection to sql server 2000
I'm currently connecting to sql server 2000 through an ole db connection that is set up in the db profile. The problem is, I can't see the tables. I'm using sqloledb as the provider and I want to access the database through this driver. Do I need to set up the security to use windows nt authentication or use the sql server authentication? Is this what's causing me to not be able to view the tables. I get an error in my powerbuilder code (version 7.0.2) whenever I try to access one of the tables: sqlstate = 42s02; Invalid object name 'table name' ...

Connection OLE DB to SQL Server 2000
Hi, I Migrate an application of SQL Anywhere to SQL 2000, but at the time of executing the application, an error takes place that leaves PowerBuilder. Executing the Debug, I realized that stops in the insertion that is within the cursor. Not if I must make some configuration. The code is the following one: DECLARE cursora CURSOR FOR SELECT sum( ingreso.val_ing) , ingreso.cod_emp, fch_nac_emp FROM ingreso, emp_por_pst, concepto, empleado WHERE ingreso.cod_con = concepto.cod_con and ingreso.cod_emp = empleado.cod_emp and concepto.pag_imp_rta = 1 AND in...

Connecting Powerbuilder 7.03 to MS SQL 2000
I have been told that the dll's included in the 7.03 version of PB has the ability to connect to and work with SQL 2000. I have installed the upgrade but, when I open the database with the MSS driver the database is not updateable. In all the painters PB will not allow me to edit the data. I know that for Sybase SQL Server you need to run a script on the database to allow the driver to communicate with PB. Am I missing this file somewhere or is there another way to enable PB to work with SQL 2000? Thanks, Paul Swanson We work with PB7/SQL2000 with no problems, we di...

Connecting to SQL Server 2005 from PowerBuilder 7.0
I am using Power Builder 7.0 and connecting to SQL Server 2000 usng native drivers. Now I am upgrading SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005. I am getting the following error when I try connecting to SQL 2005: SQLCode = -1 SQLDBCODE=10003 SQLErrText = Login Incorrect Please let me know whether it is possible to connect to SQL Server 2005 using PB 7.0 Thanks in advance You should be able to use OLE_DB connection with the later versions of PB 7.0.x. I had a customer that used PB 7.0.3 after the SQL Server upgrade without any problems reports, since the customer has upgrade...

Use OLE DB Connect SQL Server 2000
I have an error message as SQLCODE = -1 and SQLERRTEXT = "No OLE DB provider name was specified in the connection parameter" when I was running the executable file (even I put all the run time in the same folder of executable file). But if I run that apllication in PB then it is OK. My INI as below: DBMS=OLE DB DBParm=Namespace='System.Data.OleDb',PROVIDER='SQLOLEDB',DATASOURCE='MY_SERVER' ,PROVIDERSTRING='database=mydb',PBTrimCharColumns='Yes' TIA. John, Is the executable being run on the same machine as the development env...

Connecting to MS SQL Server 2000 through OLE DB
When I use this connection, my column defaults do not show in the database painter or when I try to update a dw, I get an error as I had not set the field to zero (in this case). The default shows in MS Enterprise Manager and when I connect through the Native Driver. Is this a bug? ...

Unable to connect to SQL server 2000 from Powerbuilder 9
Hi, I have Power Builder 9 installed in Windows 2003 server Enterprise Edition . I also have SQL server 2000 client compenents installed in the same server. I use an INI file to connect my application to the database. The DBMS in the INI file is MSS Microsoft SQL server Iam able to create a DSN, connect via ISQLW but when i try to login to the application there is no connectivity established. I get the error Database Error: Transaction not connected SQLCODE:0 SQLDBCODE:-1 Can someone tell me why such a error ? ...

Web resources about - Connecting to sql server 2000 via ole db in Powerbuilder 7 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles