Can a PB application be run off a server?

I have a dumb question even though I know the answer. I was
asked to post this anyway. Our client wants to avoid
installing Oracle client on every client machine. Instead,
they asked if a copy of the PB application can be put onto a
network drive and all clients have a shortcut pointing to
the exe on this server and use the ODBC connection the
server has? Is this possible?

thanks.
0
dtsakiris
1/29/2004 11:58:40 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 15 followers. Follow

The oracle client (Net8 or SQLNet) will still have to be loaded on each
workstation unless you are using Citrix, PCAnywhere, etc., that allows you
to work directly on the server.
cdc
<dtsakiris> wrote in message news:40199e30.647b.846930886@sybase.com...
> I have a dumb question even though I know the answer. I was
> asked to post this anyway. Our client wants to avoid
> installing Oracle client on every client machine. Instead,
> they asked if a copy of the PB application can be put onto a
> network drive and all clients have a shortcut pointing to
> the exe on this server and use the ODBC connection the
> server has? Is this possible?
>
> thanks.

0
cdc
1/30/2004 12:34:16 AM
You can put the PB app and the Oracle client layer on the network and
just make a few registry entries that tell the client where to find
them.  The downside is it will be a bit slower as the client has to
access those files across the network.

The other option, as already mentioned by someone else, is Citrix.

--
Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Sixth Annual Sybase Tools Seminar - April 19, 2004 - Minneapolis, MN
http://www.powerobjects.com/seminar/?source=newsgroups

Two new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups

Got code samples?  Check out CodeXchange:
http://www.codexchange.sybase.com

ISUG Enhancement Requests
http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
Assisi
http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce
1/30/2004 2:09:56 AM
The other solution would be to centralize the data access through a
middle tier application server like EAServer. That way, each client
only has to access the application server.

That being said, I'd expect this solution to likely cost you in:

- software costs (EAServer)
- hardware costs (new servers)
- development costs (2 tier is a *lot* easier)
- ongoing administrative costs (an additional server and its software)
- in a lot of cases (most?), performance (there *can* be gains for
some cases like caching the results of common complex queries, or
compressing data before going across a WAN, but generally you'd be
transferring data to one tier, processing it and transferring it
again)

Not sure what the motivation for not deploying the Oracle client is.
If it's an attempt to save money, throw a few numbers together for
this solution and drop it on his desk. Wish I could be there to see
him go pale. <beg>

Good luck,

On 29 Jan 2004 15:58:40 -0800, dtsakiris wrote:

>I have a dumb question even though I know the answer. I was
>asked to post this anyway. Our client wants to avoid
>installing Oracle client on every client machine. Instead,
>they asked if a copy of the PB application can be put onto a
>network drive and all clients have a shortcut pointing to
>the exe on this server and use the ODBC connection the
>server has? Is this possible?

See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
1/30/2004 4:06:41 AM
That's our setup, but we run Sybase.  Works great.

<dtsakiris> wrote in message news:40199e30.647b.846930886@sybase.com...
> I have a dumb question even though I know the answer. I was
> asked to post this anyway. Our client wants to avoid
> installing Oracle client on every client machine. Instead,
> they asked if a copy of the PB application can be put onto a
> network drive and all clients have a shortcut pointing to
> the exe on this server and use the ODBC connection the
> server has? Is this possible?
>
> thanks.

0
DT
1/30/2004 2:51:14 PM
On 29 Jan 2004 15:58:40 -0800, dtsakiris wrote:

>I have a dumb question even though I know the answer. I was
>asked to post this anyway. Our client wants to avoid
>installing Oracle client on every client machine. Instead,
>they asked if a copy of the PB application can be put onto a
>network drive and all clients have a shortcut pointing to
>the exe on this server and use the ODBC connection the
>server has? Is this possible?

Just curious, what the motivation behind this?  Is it to ease the
deployment?  They *do* know that it does not change the licensing
arrangement?  Don't mean to sound sarcastic, but you never know what
some people are thinking...

In any case depending on the network and the app it could run a *lot*
slower, to the point of being unbearable...  For ex. I seem to
remember large menus with deep hierarchy make matters worse.  Same for
large application based on PFC or some other class library.   Be sure
to try it and evaluate the app and window open times before you make
any commitment to the client.

  Boris Gasin [TeamSybase]
  mailto:NOSPAM_bgasin@dynamictechgroup.com
    ___
  ____   _
 _____    _
  ____   _
    ___

  Dynamic Technology Group, Inc.
  http://www.dynamictechgroup.com/
0
Boris

SQLCA works when application runs in PB not when application is run with Powerbuilder WDK.
Hi, My applications with out SQLCA run great through Powerbuilder WDK, my applications that contain SQLCA information doesn't. When I run the application in PB I get a splash screen and then the application starts. When I run it through PB WDK the splash screen starts and the I get a login box. No matter what I do it always show's up and when I hit OK I get the following SQLSTATE = 08001 error. How can I stop this from occurring? The SQLCA code and ini file are below. code: startupfile = "pds.ini" /* Populate sqlca from current PB.INI settings */ sqlca.DBMS...

Can not run PB application by the scheduled tasks on Win2000 server
I tried to run the an application (PB9.0.1) by the scheduled tasks on a win 2000 server. It does not work. Any information? When you set up the scheduled task, you have some issues to consider: what user will the application be run by, what environment is available to that user for scheduled tasks and what will the application's working directory be when it runs. Without knowing your application at all, can you see any problems that might arise by it being run by a different user (eg unable to access certain files on the file system, including your application's executable)...

Can DotNetNuke run on two web servers, an application server and a sql server?
The catch is that the webservers can only connect to the application server which in turn is the only server allowed to acess the sql server!! I read the documentation on Web farm support which suggests that in DotNetNuke 3.1 the two webservers should be supported. However nothing in the installation documents leads me to believe that an application server is supported but can this be done? The Dotnetnuke site I am thinking of creating has content will not be huge (but will be updated often I believe) so I was thinking of going down the DotNetNuke 2.12 road with an Access database...

can we run another application from a PB application
Can anybody tell me if its possible to run a second PB application from an already running PB application? If yes, then is there any way to terminate the first application and continue with the second? Thanks, Menka Gupta Corsair Communications, Inc. Run("secondapp.exe") Halt Close S Rivankar Menka Gupta wrote in message <3846D57A.FE3778BB@corsair.com>... >Can anybody tell me if its possible to run a second PB application from >an already running PB application? > >If yes, then is there any way to terminate the first application and >con...

Asp.net runs an application on server side. How can I see the output on the server?
Hello,  I have been trying to fix "design" problem for some time now and now sure which path to take. I have developed a windows application using vb.net that uses a winform for output. This application gets executed by ASP.net to run on the server. The problem is, the UI will not appear on the server even though I can see the application running in the Task Manager of the server. I understand why this occurs now and  I have tried many things to try to make the UI appear but with no avail. Is there any other way to be able to see the output of my application on the...

How can I run another application from PB ?
How can I run another application from PB script and continue its execution after finish this application (NOT immediately after start) ? Thanks, Radko Najman Look at the CreateProcess() Win32 API -- it allows for this type of functionality. There are a number of posts titled "Run Command" in this forums that mention that. Roy On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:46:44 +0200, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.powerscript Radko Najman <radko.najman@ksprogram.cz> wrote: >How can I run another application from PB script and continue its >execution after finish this ...

Calling internet enabled PB application from Client Server PB Application
Is it possible to call a internet enabled PB application from a Client-Server PB app? (Just like the way using RUN function to run another app from PB app) Thx, Mahesh If I understand you correctly, you can add teh Microsoft Internet Explorer ole object to a window and have it browse to the site housing the PB appliation just like it would to any other site. See this technote for details on browsing automatically etc. http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=47945 - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com) www.planetdx.com ...

Calling internet enabled PB application from Client Server PB Application
Is it possible to call a internet enabled PB application from a Client-Server PB app? (Just like the way using RUN function to run another app from PB app) Thx, Mahesh This newsgroup is for discussing enhancement requests for future versions of PowerBuilder. You will get a much more relevant reponse if you post in one of the other newsgroups, for example: powersoft.public.powerbuilder.distributed or powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general <Mahesh> wrote in message news:E66A29615A1F68F4006837D685256BC8.006837E685256BC8@webforums... > Is it possible to call a internet...

Can I run a DirectX application on a Terminal Server ?
I have installed DirectX9 and Terminal Services on my Windows 2003 Enterprise server, and the question is: Can I start a DirectX-application by using a thin terminal client? Must I do any modifications of my DirectX installation on the Terminal server to be able to run DirectX-based game applications in this way? ...

Appeon Application running without PowerBuilder on the server
Hi, I have a PowerBuilder application. On my workstation, with Power Builder installed, I generated an Appeon application. I would put my Appeon application on a server which don't have Power Builder installed, only EAServer. Is it possible ? Thanks Yes - it will use the PBVM that's deployed to EAServer. You don't need to install the full PowerBuilder IDE on the server. Paul Horan[Sybase] <ferrarojulien@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ceff65d1-9cda-4b88-881c-38fd1b92624c@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a PowerBuilder app...

How can I prevent running PB-application more than one time?
We have application server with Windows NT 4 and workstations with Windows NT 4 We are using PB 7.0.2 I need to prevent running the same PB-application on the same workstation more than one time simultaneously. please post to powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general this is dedicated to PB components within Jaguar to get you started take a look at the Handle( ) function and in particular the example code. A. Popov wrote: > We have application server with Windows NT 4 and workstations with Windows > NT 4 > We are using PB 7.0.2 > I need to prevent running the s...

Can I access a ActiveX server exe in a PB application?
I'm absolutely new to PB, I just need to know if there's a way to create an ActiveX object (out of proc) in PowerBuilder 9 - and receive events from the ActiveX object? If not, what are the alternatives? ...

Can I run PB applications in sys tray icon?
If so how can I do that?... Try http://www.justpbinfo.com/pbtips/windows_system_tray.asp or... http://www.topwizprogramming.com/freecode.html -- Jason 'Bug' Fenter Best Dern Programmer Out There fenterbug_at_hotmail_dot_com "Cokie" <japodaca@bts.com.mx> wrote in message news:IZeE6z5UCHA.74@forums.sybase.com... > If so how can I do that?... > > ...

Can I run a Powerbuilder-6 application on Windows XP
I have an application build with Powerbuilder-6 (desktop version) using Sybase SQL Anywhere (for windows 95/nt) which, at this moment, runs on windows-95 en windows-98 PCs. Is it possible to run this application on Windows XP? If not what do I have to do to make it run on Windows XP? Must I migrate it to Powerbuilder 9 desktop, and what about the Sybase SQL Anywhere? Is it possible to run it in a windows-98 simulation area in windows XP? Thank you for your answer, Kind Regards, Rick AFAIK PB 6 is not supported for XP. But I use and develop PB 6.5 applications at XP without sho...

Web resources about - Can a PB application be run off a server? - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Would you give up chocolate for better application performance?
Application performance is critical to business performance according to 98 percent of businesses, yet 89 percent of executives say the poor ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 30% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Slightly Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 0.2 percent from one week ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

PCB firm Unitech looks to automotive, IoT applications for 2016 growth
PCB maker Unitech Printed Circuit Board expects demand for any-layer designs for use in automotive electronics, wearables and other IoT-connected ...

A new edition of CRISPR promises to make gene therapy ready for human applications
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard and the McGovern Institute for Brain Research have developed a way to significantly cut down on “off-target” ...

The 3 Things That Can Happen With Your Early College Application
... Decision to wait as patiently as they can for the next two weeks as email inboxes and snail mail slots fill with the results of all those applications. ...