Better to use API fn call/Powerbuilder fn call ...

I have a rather elementary question. Is there any difference in application
performance if I use an API call rather than a PowerBuilder function call ?

eg Suppose there is PowerBuilder function 'X' which will bring a window to the
foreground.
An API function 'Y' does the same.

Assuming that I need not prepare/initialize  any structure etc to be passed to
the API function 'Y', does it make any difference to the app performance if I
make an API call instead of the PowerBuilder function call 'X' ?

Thx
Ganesh
0
Ganesh

The difference would be virtually indistinguishable, for this specific API.
Generally, if something can be done by a PowerScript function, I'd go along
with that instead of an API call (which has its overhead as well).

--
pbm_hopethishelps,
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

Ganesh <nospamrganesh123@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have a rather elementary question. Is there any difference in
application
> performance if I use an API call rather than a PowerBuilder function call
?

> eg Suppose there is PowerBuilder function 'X' which will bring a window to
the
> foreground.
> An API function 'Y' does the same.
>
> Assuming that I need not prepare/initialize  any structure etc to be
passed to
> the API function 'Y', does it make any difference to the app performance
if I
> make an API call instead of the PowerBuilder function call 'X' ?
>
> Thx
> Ganesh

0
Roy

How can I get PowerBuilder to use the UNICODE API calls to an ODBC?
How can I get PowerBuilder to use the UNICODE API calls to an ODBC? I am connecting to a DB2 database and when running a trace and reviewing the file the calls are to ANSI API's. example below pb80 db-157 EXIT SQLDescribeCol with return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS) HSTMT 032F2528 UWORD 2 UCHAR * 0x0012E2D0 [ 14] "FIRST_DIST_DTE" SWORD 129 SWORD * 0x0012E2AC (14) SWORD * 0x0012E29C (9) SQLLEN * 0x0012E298 (10) SWORD * 0x00...

API Calls from PowerBuilder.
Hi all, I have a problem with API calls. I'd like to now how to call api functions in a DLL that have some functions with parameters like this: DLL: function x ( stru_a ) Structure stru_a { char * name, integer * value_1, Double * value_2, .... } I hope somebody can help me. Thank's. Luiz Paes. Search the Help file for Declaring External Functions and then Calling External Functions. This will explain how (and where) to declare and call your API functions. Zane Knight. ...

GetWindowTextA Win32 API call is returning garbage using PowerBuilder 10.5...
Well, this one's got me whipped. Time to turn to you folks for help. I am launching MS-Word, and some of my user's computers are slower than others, so I am needing to delay the PowerBuilder script an undetermined amount of time while MS-Word opens up. I have looked at and tried tons of methods, and it all seems to be boiling down to a failure of the Win32 API function GetWindowTextA (it returns garbage characters instead of the window's title bar text). I have it declared as a Global External Functions as follows: FUNCTION LONG GetWindowTextA( long hWnd, Ref String l...

" Cannot find the script or external object that implements prefix 'fn' " error when I use "fn" prefix in xslt and I call it with ASP.NET.2.0
Hi, I’m trying to display the contents of an xml file using an xslt file. I’m using ASP.NET.2.0 and the xsltCompiledTransform method in order to achieve the transformation. Everything works fine when I don’t have xPath functions in my xslt but when I declare the namespace ‘xmlns:fn=http://www.w3.org/2005/02/xpath-functions' and I use Xpath functions in my xslt file, it comes up with the following error message : ‘Cannot find the script or external object that implements prefix 'fn'. Just to mention I use VB as a scripting language in my ASP page. Could anyone please tell me w...

PowerBuilder API Call Problem
I have a PowerBuilder application running under PB 6.5 and Win NT. I am running a WinAPI function, GetWindowsDirectory. It is initialized by the following declaration: Function long GetWindowsDirectory(String lpBuffer, Long nSize) LIBRARY "kernel32.DLL" Alias For "GetWindowsDirectoryA" In a window function I make a call to GetWindowsDirectory like this: string sWinDir long lReturn long iSysPath lSysPath = 256 sWinDir = space(lSysPath) lReturn = GetWindowsDirectory(sWinDir, lSysPath) lReturn returns 8, but sWinDir is empty. The code works in Visual B...

PowerBuilder API-Call Problem
I have a PowerBuilder application running under PB 6.5 and Win NT. I am running a WinAPI function, GetWindowsDirectory. It is initialized by the following declaration: Function long GetWindowsDirectory(String lpBuffer, Long nSize) LIBRARY "kernel32.DLL" Alias For "GetWindowsDirectoryA" In a window function I make a call to GetWindowsDirectory like this: string sWinDir long lReturn long iSysPath lSysPath = 256 sWinDir = space(lSysPath) lReturn = GetWindowsDirectory(sWinDir, lSysPath) lReturn returns 8, but sWinDir is empty. The code works in Visual...

How to call MSMQ API from Powerbuilder
Hi all, can someone point me to a site/newsgroup, etc. that explains/shows how to get Powerbuilder to communicate with MSMQ? I am working in a legacy App that now requires to send messages to a MSMQ queue. Any help very appreciated! Don't know about MSMQ, but here's one for MQSeries: http://www.rgagnon.com/howto.html Click on PowerBuilder --> What's New --> Use MQSeriers HTH Greg <Gabriel Gutierrez> wrote in message news:3fa7c6b2.653e.846930886@sybase.com... > Hi all, > > can someone point me to a site/newsgroup, etc. that > e...

Powerbuilder
Does anybody have a cross reference list of the PowerBuilder powerscript to obsolete windows API calls?? Has anybody created new functions to handle the new windows API calls?? Thanks, Denise ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp ...

call, call(), .call, and captures
From S06: sub bar ($a,$b,$c,:$mice) { say $mice } sub foo (\$args) { say $args.perl; &bar.call($args); } The C<.call> method of C<Code> objects accepts a single C<Capture> object, and calls it without introducing a C<CALLER> frame. And from S12: In addition to C<next METHOD>, the special function C<call> dispatches to the next candidate, possibly with a new argument list: call; # calls with the original arguments call(); # calls with no arguments call(1,2,3); # calls ...

Using powerbuilder to call a phone somewhere (not data)
Have anyone done this. My problem is that i have to support win95, 98 and winnt4.0 The TAPI for windows does not support winnt. I have the u_cst_rasapi32.sru but i dont think i can use this to call to a phone like from outlook in the contact manager. I would appreciate any help i can get. Michael Chernin was kind enough to give me a lik to that sru i mentioned earlier, and im gratefull for that, but still im not sure this is what i can use to do what i want. So if anyone have any documentation (microsofts web was kind of blank in this issue where i looked) or know where to get...

Powerbuilder crash when calling API function Openfile()
lul_Handle = gu_ext.OpenFile(ls_file, lstr_FileInfo, 2) To get the handle of the file I use command above... Most of the time, the first time I run the script it works, the second time I get a powerbuilder crash... Anyone any idea? The function is declared in the user object gu_ext Function ulong OpenFile (ref string filename, ref s_fileopeninfo of_struct, ulong action) LIBRARY "KERNEL32.DLL" Any ideas? Thanks Don't forget to free the handle afterwards with Private Function Long CloseHandle(Long hObject) Library "kernel32" CloseHandle(lul_Hand...

Powerbuilder API call to stop datawindow retrieval
When I used SQLNET v1.x with Powerbuilder v4.x, I was able to stop a datawindow retrieve in my apps with a key combination of <CTRL>-<C>. This was a very nice feature to have, especially, with a datawindow retrieval lasting several minutes. With Powerbuilder v5.0.0.3 and SQLNET v2.0, the <CTRL>-<C> feature does not work. Powersoft tech support says that Oracle SQLNET v2.0 does not support this feature. But, SQLNET v2.0 documentation says that it does support this feature. I tested this successfully via SQLPLUS. I could use the RetrieveRow datawindow eve...

Making Third Party API Calls From Powerbuilder
Hi, I don't think this is possible but... Let's say I've got a Java API or a Python API. Is there anyway to use them in powerbuilder? (PB 8 to be specific) Thanks Not with PB8. PB9 provided PBNI and the EJBConnection object that can be used to talk with Java. <Dan Black> wrote in message news:461c12c1.5851.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi, > > I don't think this is possible but... > > Let's say I've got a Java API or a Python API. Is there > anyway to use them in powerbuilder? (PB 8 to be specific) > > Thanks ...

Powerbuilder API call to stop datawindow retrieval
When I used SQLNET v1.x with Powerbuilder v4.x, I was able to stop a datawindow retrieve in my apps with a key combination of <CTRL>-<C>. This was a very nice feature to have, especially, with a datawindow retrieval lasting several minutes. With Powerbuilder v5.0.0.3 and SQLNET v2.0, the <CTRL>-<C> feature does not work. Powersoft tech support says that Oracle SQLNET v2.0 does not support this feature. But, SQLNET v2.0 documentation says that it does support this feature. I tested this successfully via SQLPLUS. I could use the RetrieveRow datawindow eve...

Web resources about - Better to use API fn call/Powerbuilder fn call ... - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles