Array of Array.

How is possible to declare a DYNAMIC array of array ?

I need something like a dynamic hash table whose pages grow up dynamically
too (each one can have different number of elements).
In other words, a matrix that can be dynamic in both dimension.

example:

[1,2,3...]
[3,4..]
[5]
[6,7,8,9...]
[.]
..
..
..

0
Marco
1/31/2004 12:21:33 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 16 followers. Follow

Have you considered using a DataStore?

--
<hopethishelps/>
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

"Marco Meoni - News" <mmeoni@usl4.toscana.it> wrote in message
> How is possible to declare a DYNAMIC array of array ?
>
> I need something like a dynamic hash table whose pages grow up dynamically
> too (each one can have different number of elements).
> In other words, a matrix that can be dynamic in both dimension.
>
> example:
>
> [1,2,3...]
> [3,4..]
> [5]
> [6,7,8,9...]
> [.]
> .
> .
> .

0
Roy
1/31/2004 2:36:11 PM
An Array of datastore?
But how can I manage the datastore columns number?
For example, I need that the first datastore is 5 integer long, the second 3
integer long and so forth... I don't want an array of records...

Using array of ds, when I need to access to the i position of the array I
should write

ds = hash[i]

but how can I know how many columns THAT datastore has got each time?
Could you send me a short example?

Any possibilities to use something like  Integer hash[][]  ?

"Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> wrote in
message news:401bbfc2$1@forums-2-dub...
> Have you considered using a DataStore?
>
> --
> <hopethishelps/>
> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
> SDN CodeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com
>
> "Marco Meoni - News" <mmeoni@usl4.toscana.it> wrote in message
> > How is possible to declare a DYNAMIC array of array ?
> >
> > I need something like a dynamic hash table whose pages grow up
dynamically
> > too (each one can have different number of elements).
> > In other words, a matrix that can be dynamic in both dimension.
> >
> > example:
> >
> > [1,2,3...]
> > [3,4..]
> > [5]
> > [6,7,8,9...]
> > [.]
> > .
> > .
> > .

0
Marco
1/31/2004 5:10:01 PM
You have to change your way of thinking about the datastore. Basically,
transpose your illustration below into something like this:

[1][3][5][6]
[2][4][  ][7]
[3][  ][  ][8]
[  ][  ][  ][9]

You can create the columns on-the-fly usingthe datawindow's CREATE syntax.
You can access the contents of each column as an array using the data
notation.

--
<hopethishelps/>
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
SDN CodeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com

Each DS will have two columns, one for key and one for value.

You can alsouse a 2- or more dimensional arrays.
> An Array of datastore?
> But how can I manage the datastore columns number?
> For example, I need that the first datastore is 5 integer long, the second
3
> integer long and so forth... I don't want an array of records...
>
> Using array of ds, when I need to access to the i position of the array I
> should write
>
> ds = hash[i]
>
> but how can I know how many columns THAT datastore has got each time?
> Could you send me a short example?
>
> Any possibilities to use something like  Integer hash[][]  ?
>

> "Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> wrote in
> message news:401bbfc2$1@forums-2-dub...
> > Have you considered using a DataStore?
> >
> > --
> > <hopethishelps/>
> > Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
> > SDN CodeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com
> >
> > "Marco Meoni - News" <mmeoni@usl4.toscana.it> wrote in message
> > > How is possible to declare a DYNAMIC array of array ?
> > >
> > > I need something like a dynamic hash table whose pages grow up
> dynamically
> > > too (each one can have different number of elements).
> > > In other words, a matrix that can be dynamic in both dimension.
> > >
> > > example:
> > >
> > > [1,2,3...]
> > > [3,4..]
> > > [5]
> > > [6,7,8,9...]
> > > [.]
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .

0
Roy
1/31/2004 8:30:54 PM
You  must  use array of structures.

Par exmpl (PB 8):

1.You must create structure
global type str_array2 from structure
 string  arg[]
end type

2.Declare 2-D dynamical array
str_array2 str_2d []

3.Use 2-D array
str_2d[i].arg[j]

For 3-D dymamical array

global type str_array3 from structure
 string  str_array2 []
end type

str_array3 str_3d

str_3d[k].str_2d[i].arg[j]

"Marco Meoni - News" <mmeoni@usl4.toscana.it> �������/�������� � ��������
���������: news:401ba036$1@forums-2-dub...
> How is possible to declare a DYNAMIC array of array ?
>
> I need something like a dynamic hash table whose pages grow up dynamically
> too (each one can have different number of elements).
> In other words, a matrix that can be dynamic in both dimension.
>
> example:
>
> [1,2,3...]
> [3,4..]
> [5]
> [6,7,8,9...]
> [.]
> .
> .
> .

0
urvas

How to create the columns on-the-fly usingthe datawindow's CREATE syntax? Could
you send me a short example?

Greetz,
Rafal

On 31 Jan 2004 12:30:54 -0800,
 in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> wrote:
>You have to change your way of thinking about the datastore. Basically,
>transpose your illustration below into something like this:
>
>[1][3][5][6]
>[2][4][  ][7]
>[3][  ][  ][8]
>[  ][  ][  ][9]
>
>You can create the columns on-the-fly usingthe datawindow's CREATE syntax.
>You can access the contents of each column as an array using the data
>notation.
>
>--
><hopethishelps/>
>Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
>SDN CodeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com
>
>Each DS will have two columns, one for key and one for value.
>
>You can alsouse a 2- or more dimensional arrays.
>"Marco Meoni - News" <mmeoni@usl4.toscana.it> wrote in message
>> An Array of datastore?
>> But how can I manage the datastore columns number?
>> For example, I need that the first datastore is 5 integer long, the second
>3
>> integer long and so forth... I don't want an array of records...
>>
>> Using array of ds, when I need to access to the i position of the array I
>> should write
>>
>> ds = hash[i]
>>
>> but how can I know how many columns THAT datastore has got each time?
>> Could you send me a short example?
>>
>> Any possibilities to use something like  Integer hash[][]  ?
>>

>> "Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> wrote in
>> message news:401bbfc2$1@forums-2-dub...
>> > Have you considered using a DataStore?
>> >
>> > --
>> > <hopethishelps/>
>> > Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
>> > SDN CodeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com
>> >
>> > "Marco Meoni - News" <mmeoni@usl4.toscana.it> wrote in message

>> dynamically

0
rafal
2/2/2004 1:17:17 PM
One more thing - external dw

Rafal.

On 2 Feb 2004 05:17:17 -0800,
rafal <ralf@cursor.pl> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>How to create the columns on-the-fly usingthe datawindow's CREATE syntax? Could
>you send me a short example?
>
>Greetz,
>Rafal
>
>On 31 Jan 2004 12:30:54 -0800,
> in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
>Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> wrote:
>>You have to change your way of thinking about the datastore. Basically,
>>transpose your illustration below into something like this:
>>
>>[1][3][5][6]
>>[2][4][  ][7]
>>[3][  ][  ][8]
>>[  ][  ][  ][9]
>>
>>You can create the columns on-the-fly usingthe datawindow's CREATE syntax.
>>You can access the contents of each column as an array using the data
>>notation.
>>
>>--
>><hopethishelps/>
>>Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
>>SDN CodeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com
>>
>>Each DS will have two columns, one for key and one for value.
>>
>>You can alsouse a 2- or more dimensional arrays.
>>"Marco Meoni - News" <mmeoni@usl4.toscana.it> wrote in message
>>> An Array of datastore?
>>> But how can I manage the datastore columns number?
>>> For example, I need that the first datastore is 5 integer long, the second
>>3
>>> integer long and so forth... I don't want an array of records...
>>>
>>> Using array of ds, when I need to access to the i position of the array I
>>> should write
>>>
>>> ds = hash[i]
>>>
>>> but how can I know how many columns THAT datastore has got each time?
>>> Could you send me a short example?
>>>
>>> Any possibilities to use something like  Integer hash[][]  ?
>>>

>>> "Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> wrote in
>>> message news:401bbfc2$1@forums-2-dub...

>>> dynamically

0
rafal
2/2/2004 1:28:09 PM
I can name 2 possibilities:

1. a struct with an array
2. a PB user object with an array as instance variable

both ways you can create of these objects and thus have a
dynamic array of array.

The first is the easiest way, the second one the more nicest
way (from design view point). If you stay withing the PB
environment, I would advise the second one because it leaves
more freedom (for changes afterwards etc.). However if you
need to communicate this object to other environments (e.g.
java), the struct is far more convinient.

Good luck,

Gert
> How is possible to declare a DYNAMIC array of array ?
>
> I need something like a dynamic hash table whose pages
> grow up dynamically too (each one can have different
> number of elements). In other words, a matrix that can be
> dynamic in both dimension.
>
> example:
>
> [1,2,3...]
> [3,4..]
> [5]
> [6,7,8,9...]
> [.]
> .
> .
> .

0
Gert

Arrays, Arrays, Arrays
I mainly come from a JScript classic ASP background and I'm liking both C#.net and JScript.net. Now I have to say... "What's happened to arrays?" They used to be so flexible and easy to use. Here are my quick questions... Am I allowed to create an array with a non specified length so that I can add to it? If not then how can I modify an array's length? Can I create an array with a named index eg myArray["apple"] = "tasty"; or is the hash table the equivalent for this now? The classic array methods and properties like pop(), push(), length etc... are ...

referring to an array in an array of arrays
How can I get at an array in an array of arrays? I'm creating the arrays using: $fComments[$i++] = [ @comments ]; Now I want to get back what I put in: print "$fComments[0]\n"; but this prints ARRAY(0x107671f0). How do I follow that pointer? (I really think we need a pre-beginners list... =) TIA. - B You can try something like this: print "@{$fComments[0]}\n"; Which will attempt to dereference the array at $fComments[0]. -----Original Message----- From: Bryan R Harris [mailto:Bryan_R_Harris@raytheon.com] Sent: Tue...

How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays?
How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > -----Original Message----- > From: Angerstein [mailto:ang@nmc-m.dtag.de] > Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 6:12 AM > To: beginners@perl.org > Subject: How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > > > How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? $ perl -d -e 1 ..... DB<1> @aoa = ([qw(foo bar baz)]) << create array of arrays DB<2> x @aoa 0 ARRAY(0x80f82dc) 0 'foo' 1 'bar' 2 'baz' DB<3> unshift @{$aoa[0]}, 'qu...

Concatenating arrays from arrays of arrays
Hello - I am trying to accumulate items in a flat list (array) by concatenating on to it the scalars contained in arrays which in turn are contained in arrays. The data is to be read in from a file rather than existing as literals in my code. Everything I try either crashes the computer or gives me an array of arrays instead of a flat list. I have been programming in Unicon which has a concatenate operator, but Perl makes very heavy weather of nested list management. Should I switch to Lisp, or is there a way of doing what I want to do in Perl? Regards _John Sampson_ On...

An array of arrays
Could anybody help me out here? Here's the message I just got from a guy I know: ----------- I was wondering if you know how to create and access an array of arrays in Perl. Basically I'm parsing an exported text file containing e-mails and I think I want to move some fields into arrays until I'm ready to do my report. Here basically is what I'm looking at doing: ^ | | Array 1 (messages) | | v <------ Array 2 -------> (message fields:FROM, TO, CC, etc, sensitivity, etc) I want to be able to search through the first array to count how many messag...

array of arrays
Hi. =20 Im using a multidimensional array in the following way: $array[$i][$j][$k] =3D [ @list ]; where, @list is a 2-D array ie. = $list[][]. How do I access the individual elements of the array @list once Ive put it = into the array @array? Thanks. -ty On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 02:28:41PM -0600, Tyler Cruickshank wrote: > $array[$i][$j][$k] = [ @list ]; where, @list is a 2-D array ie. $list[][]. > > How do I access the individual elements of the array @list once Ive put it > into the array @array? $array[$i][$j][$k][$l][$m] eq $list[$l][$m] Howev...

Array of arrays
Hi I'm trying to return from a web service a array of arrays, one of the arrays is a array of objects, which I tested separately and it's working fine, and another array of integer and another of strings. When I run the web service I got this:You must implement a default accessor on System.Array because it inherits from ICollectionDefault accessor what that means? Thank you very much.  As Heinlein said "specialization is for insects" explore beyond the universe. Could you pls post the relevant code ? hi rushan thank you for the reply the code is here:  ...

Array of Arrays
Hi, I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which needs to be passed to Oracle database to minimize the round trips to hte server. I was successful in sending simple arrays so far but no idea on how to create array of arrays in PB. I have used structures to simulate this but looks like I can't send the PB structure to Oracle. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks, Anil PB 11 or 12 I believe will have this native. <Anil> wrote in message news:422789a4.721c.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi, > > I am looking for a way to create an array of ar...

array of arrays
Hi, I have a simple question: how do I access an array in an array? @array = (@array1, array2); ### unless this is wrong... the idea behind it is, that I have a long list, and want to put all 25 entries in a seperate array in that big array. later on I want to be able to read one specific array at a certain position... -- cheers alex mailto:Keex@gmx.de you need to learn about references. read the: perldoc perllol here is the jist though. @all = (\@array1, \@array2 ... ); # ... so on to access first array and first element...

Array of Arrays
Hi, I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which needs to be passed to Oracle database to minimize the round trips to hte server. I was successful in sending simple arrays so far but no idea on how to create array of arrays in PB. I have used structures to simulate this but looks like I can't send the structure to Oracle. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks, Anil Please don't cross-post. On 3 Mar 2005 14:02:47 -0800, Anil wrote: >Hi, > >I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which >needs to be passed to Oracle database t...

[@array] and \@array
Given the case, my @array = (1,2,3,4); my $var1 = [@array]; my $var2 = \@array; What's the difference between $var1 and $var2? Are they all refered to @array? Thanks guys. On 3/22/07, Jm lists <practicalperl@gmail.com> wrote: > Given the case, > > my @array = (1,2,3,4); > my $var1 = [@array]; > my $var2 = \@array; > > What's the difference between $var1 and $var2? > Are they all refered to @array? > Thanks guys. $var2 is a reference to @array. $var1 is a reference to new array. Observe #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use war...

extracting elements from arrays of arrays of arrays ;-)
Hiya All, I hope you'll forgive this oo perl rookie for asking a routine question. I'm not new to perl, but the bioperl module I'm working on is giving me a headache! ;-) Let's say I have this: my @array = qw(12 56 41 23); my $array_ref = \@array; # where $var1, $var2, and $var3 are other array references. my $ref = [$var1, $var2, $array_ref, $var3 ]; my @object = (); push @object, $ref; QUESTION: How do I obtain the array $array_ref refers to in this situtation? Let's say I want to give @new the values in @array. Thank many thanks for you...

Confusion on @array vs $array[] vs $array
--=_FCA3CF00.8EEF86D1 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Hello: I have been fairly confused on the intermixing of array naming standards. If I understand correctly, the @array syntaxt is used to refer to the whole array, while $array[n] is refered to specific elements. In my thinking, it would have been less confusing to use @array[n] to address specific elements, but Perl complaines bitterly when warnings &/or strict is enabled. Is the rational for the "$"array[] character for identifying ...

Powerbuilder and database array fetching / array inserts
What I understand from the documentation, Powerbuilder supports array fetching when you issue a SELECT query. The size of this "array" can be changed by setting the DBParm parameter BLOCK (we have an Oracle db) But what about array inserts? Does Powerbuilder support this if you are using bindvariables? I mean, if you have a datawindow (rows with NewModified! status), does the dw.Update() then produce one Insert command and send all the inserted values in an array to the database, or (what I suspect) will there be an insert command (sent over the network) for every row in th...

Web resources about - Array of Array. - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Array - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Search with Relcy for an array of relevant, reliable results
... on the bandwagon? or Enjoy Apple TV 4 screensavers on Mac OS X with Aerial . Relcy - The Fastest Way to Find Search with Relcy for an array ...

GM to build solar array at transmission plant
Filed under: Green , Plants/Manufacturing , GM , Technology , Solar GM is partnering to build its largest solar array in Michigan near the Warren ...

New books for animal lovers deliver array of adventures, information
Who's on the bookshelves this month? Dogs, wolves, birds and cats. And butterflies. Beautiful butterflies. Here are some of the new animal-related ...

Rarely Seen ‘Ashes And Embers’ Getting Restoration & Distribution From Ava DuVernay‘s Array Releasing ...
Ava DuVernay 's Array Releasing has acquired director Haile Gerima ’s rarely-seen classic Ashes And Embers and will give it full restoration, ...

Violin All-Flash Arrays Aimed at High-end, Starter Markets
Take your pick: 140TB of raw flash in three-rack units, with 1.1 million IOPS, or a not-quite-as-fast starter array for under $100,000.

Sheldon Silver, Longtime Titan of New York Politics, Guilty On Array of Corruption Charges
Sheldon Silver, who has been speaker of the New York State Assembly for 20 years, was found guilty today in federal court of seven corruption ...

Alien megastructures? SETI Institute’s Allen Telescope Array targets weirdly winking star
One of the premier telescope arrays in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, or SETI, is focusing its antennas on an anomalously blinking ...

El Cheapo Phased-Array Sonar
... — the range to the closest object that the speaker is pointing at. It doesn’t have to be that way. [Graham Chow] built a simple phased-array ...

‘Geminid’ Meteor Shower: Scintillating Array Of ‘Shooting Stars’ To Illuminate December Night Sky
Stargazers across the world will witness a wondrous array of spectacular shooting stars illuminating the night sky this weekend. The mesmerizing ...