Array Boundary Exeeded!

Hi All,
   I have a problem when I tried to destroy the DataStore
within an array. The code I used is,
If IsValid(Ds_Value[Cnt]) Then DESTROY Ds_Value[Cnt]
Ds_Value[Cnt] = CREATE DataStore
    even the value of Cnt > 0, I am getting the error "Array
Boundary Exeeded".
    I have many DataStores in the process and the
application is exiting without any error, during the
process. I am trying to clear the memmory in each loop to
avoid the termination.

Thanks in advance,
      Jemson Kuriakose.
0
Jemson

Entirely expected. PB will fail before the IsValid() executes if Cnt >
UpperBound (Ds_Value), including when UpperBound (Ds_Value) = 0.

Good luck,

On 13 May 2008 11:57:55 -0700, Jemson Kuriakose wrote:

>Hi All,
>   I have a problem when I tried to destroy the DataStore
>within an array. The code I used is,
>If IsValid(Ds_Value[Cnt]) Then DESTROY Ds_Value[Cnt]
>Ds_Value[Cnt] = CREATE DataStore
>    even the value of Cnt > 0, I am getting the error "Array
>Boundary Exeeded".
>    I have many DataStores in the process and the
>application is exiting without any error, during the
>process. I am trying to clear the memmory in each loop to
>avoid the termination.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>      Jemson Kuriakose.

*********************************
Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
http://www.freerice.com
*********************************
Newsgroup User Manual
=====================
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

PB Futures updated April 2/2008
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
5/13/2008 7:31:27 PM
Terry,
    Can you please advice me that, how can we handle this?
Thank you for your response,

Jemson Kuriakose

> Entirely expected. PB will fail before the IsValid()
> executes if Cnt > UpperBound (Ds_Value), including when
> UpperBound (Ds_Value) = 0.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On 13 May 2008 11:57:55 -0700, Jemson Kuriakose wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >   I have a problem when I tried to destroy the DataStore
> >within an array. The code I used is,
> >-----------------------------------------------------
> >If IsValid(Ds_Value[Cnt]) Then DESTROY Ds_Value[Cnt]
> >Ds_Value[Cnt] = CREATE DataStore
> >-----------------------------------------------------
> >    even the value of Cnt > 0, I am getting the error
> "Array >Boundary Exeeded".
> >    I have many DataStores in the process and the
> >application is exiting without any error, during the
> >process. I am trying to clear the memmory in each loop to
> >avoid the termination.
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >      Jemson Kuriakose.
>
> *********************************
> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
> http://www.freerice.com
> *********************************
> Newsgroup User Manual
> =====================
> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
> Forums = Peer-to-peer
> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
> *********************************
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's
> Toolkit.  Version 4.0.3 now available at the Sandbox
> PB Futures updated April 2/2008
> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the
> Sandbox ^ ^
> o o
> =*=
0
Jemson
5/13/2008 7:45:32 PM
IF Cnt <= UpperBound (Ds_Value) THEN
    IF IsValid (Ds_Value[Cnt]) THEN DESTROY Ds_Value[Cnt]
ELSE
    // You want to make sure you're just one step above the max.
    // If UpperBound (Ds_Value) = 1 and you pass in Cnt=10,
    // you'll create eight empty elements in your array (2-9)
    // wasting a lot of memory.
    Cnt = UpperBound (Ds_Value) + 1
END IF

--
Off topic:
Sybase has been reviewing NNTP availability and is looking at

Please sign up; give it a try. My hope is that it evolves into more than
just a Q&A database, but it won't get there without your participation.
0
Jason
5/13/2008 8:33:34 PM
But don't use Cnt=0. PB arrays are indexed from 1. So 0 will always exceed
array boundaries.

--
Regards,
Millard [TeamSybase]

"Jason 'Bug' Fenter [TeamSybase]"
<NO_SPAMMING_jason.fenter_@_teamsybase.com> wrote in message
> IF Cnt <= UpperBound (Ds_Value) THEN
>    IF IsValid (Ds_Value[Cnt]) THEN DESTROY Ds_Value[Cnt]
> ELSE
>    // You want to make sure you're just one step above the max.
>    // If UpperBound (Ds_Value) = 1 and you pass in Cnt=10,
>    // you'll create eight empty elements in your array (2-9)
>    // wasting a lot of memory.
>    Cnt = UpperBound (Ds_Value) + 1
> END IF
> Ds_Value[Cnt] = CREATE DataStore
>

> Jemson Kuriakose wrote:
>> Terry,
>>     Can you please advice me that, how can we handle this?
>> Thank you for your response,
>>
>> Jemson Kuriakose
>>
>>> Entirely expected. PB will fail before the IsValid()
>>> executes if Cnt > UpperBound (Ds_Value), including when
>>> UpperBound (Ds_Value) = 0.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten

>>> "Array >Boundary Exeeded".

>>> *********************************
>>> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
>>> http://www.freerice.com
>>> *********************************
>>> Newsgroup User Manual
>>> =====================
>>> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
>>> Forums = Peer-to-peer
>>> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
>>> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
>>> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
>>> *********************************
>>>
>>> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
>>> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's
>>> Toolkit.  Version 4.0.3 now available at the Sandbox
>>> PB Futures updated April 2/2008
>>> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the
>>> Sandbox ^ ^
>>> o o
>>> =*=
>
> --
> Off topic:
> Sybase has been reviewing NNTP availability and is looking at alternative
> ways to build a user community. As a test-bed / proof-of-concept, I have
> personally created a community on Ning (http://powerbuilder.ning.com).
> While Ning certainly doesn't offer all of the features that I'd like to
> see Sybase eventually implement, I am trying to foster some community
> involvement on that site. Several of the TeamSybase members have joined
> already and are available to answer questions there.
>
> Please sign up; give it a try. My hope is that it evolves into more than
> just a Q&A database, but it won't get there without your participation.

0
Millard
5/13/2008 8:40:53 PM
I would have destroyed them in a loop FOR cnt = 1 TO UpperBound(Ds_value),
then recreated datastores as necessary. But then I was brought up in an era
when a gigbyte was the size of a washing machine and cost (before inflation)
US$50,000.

"Millard F. Brown III" <millard.brown@teamsybase.com> wrote in message
> But don't use Cnt=0. PB arrays are indexed from 1. So 0 will always exceed
> array boundaries.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Millard [TeamSybase]
>

> "Jason 'Bug' Fenter [TeamSybase]"
> <NO_SPAMMING_jason.fenter_@_teamsybase.com> wrote in message
>> IF Cnt <= UpperBound (Ds_Value) THEN
>>    IF IsValid (Ds_Value[Cnt]) THEN DESTROY Ds_Value[Cnt]
>> ELSE
>>    // You want to make sure you're just one step above the max.
>>    // If UpperBound (Ds_Value) = 1 and you pass in Cnt=10,
>>    // you'll create eight empty elements in your array (2-9)
>>    // wasting a lot of memory.
>>    Cnt = UpperBound (Ds_Value) + 1
>> END IF
>> Ds_Value[Cnt] = CREATE DataStore
>>

>> Jemson Kuriakose wrote:
>>> Terry,
>>>     Can you please advice me that, how can we handle this?
>>> Thank you for your response,
>>>
>>> Jemson Kuriakose

>> --
>> Off topic:
>> Sybase has been reviewing NNTP availability and is looking at alternative
>> ways to build a user community. As a test-bed / proof-of-concept, I have
>> personally created a community on Ning (http://powerbuilder.ning.com).
>> While Ning certainly doesn't offer all of the features that I'd like to
>> see Sybase eventually implement, I am trying to foster some community
>> involvement on that site. Several of the TeamSybase members have joined
>> already and are available to answer questions there.
>>
>> Please sign up; give it a try. My hope is that it evolves into more than
>> just a Q&A database, but it won't get there without your participation.

0
Jerry
5/13/2008 8:49:09 PM
I tried but failed, see the eg. what I tried,
DataStore Temp[]
Long Cnt, Bound

For Cnt = 1 To 10
   If IsValid(Temp[Cnt]) Then Destroy Temp[Cnt]
   Temp[Cnt] = Create DataStore
NEXT
    Is there anything wrong with this example?
    I forgot to note one thing, My window is an inherited
window(w_sheet) from pfc. Thank you,

Jemson Kuriakose.

> I would have destroyed them in a loop FOR cnt = 1 TO
> UpperBound(Ds_value),  then recreated datastores as
> necessary. But then I was brought up in an era  when a
> gigbyte was the size of a washing machine and cost (before
> inflation)  US$50,000.
>
> "Millard F. Brown III" <millard.brown@teamsybase.com>
> wrote in message  news:4829fcd5@forums-1-dub...
> > But don't use Cnt=0. PB arrays are indexed from 1. So 0
> > will always exceed  array boundaries.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Millard [TeamSybase]
> >

> > "Jason 'Bug' Fenter [TeamSybase]"
> > <NO_SPAMMING_jason.fenter_@_teamsybase.com> wrote in
> > message  news:4829fb1e$1@forums-1-dub...
> >> IF Cnt <= UpperBound (Ds_Value) THEN
> >>    IF IsValid (Ds_Value[Cnt]) THEN DESTROY
> Ds_Value[Cnt] >> ELSE
> >>    // You want to make sure you're just one step above
> the max. >>    // If UpperBound (Ds_Value) = 1 and you
> pass in Cnt=10, >>    // you'll create eight empty
> elements in your array (2-9) >>    // wasting a lot of
> memory. >>    Cnt = UpperBound (Ds_Value) + 1
> >> END IF
> >> Ds_Value[Cnt] = CREATE DataStore

> this? >>> Thank you for your response,

> when >>>> UpperBound (Ds_Value) = 0.

> DataStore >>>>> within an array. The code I used is,

> DataStores in the process and the >>>>> application is
> exiting without any error, during the >>>>> process. I am
> trying to clear the memmory in each loop to >>>>> avoid
> the termination. >>>>>

> >> --
> >> Off topic:
> >> Sybase has been reviewing NNTP availability and is
> looking at alternative  >> ways to build a user community.
> As a test-bed / proof-of-concept, I have  >> personally
> created a community on Ning
> (http://powerbuilder.ning.com).  >> While Ning certainly
> doesn't offer all of the features that I'd like to  >> see
> Sybase eventually implement, I am trying to foster some
> community  >> involvement on that site. Several of the
> TeamSybase members have joined  >> already and are
> available to answer questions there. >>
> >> Please sign up; give it a try. My hope is that it
> evolves into more than  >> just a Q&A database, but it
> won't get there without your participation. >

0
Jemson
5/14/2008 1:16:46 PM
You've missed what Jason and I have told you:

DataStore Temp[]
Long Cnt, Bound

For Cnt = 1 To 10
   IF Cnt <= UpperBound (Ds_Value) THEN
	   If IsValid(Temp[Cnt]) Then Destroy Temp[Cnt]
   END IF
   Temp[Cnt] = Create DataStore
NEXT

The basic concept is: If you try to retrieve a value from above the
UpperBound() of a variable length array, you will get an error. Your
IsValid() parameter is trying to do that.

Good luck,

On 14 May 2008 06:16:46 -0700, Jemson Kuriakose wrote:

> [...]
>> Sybase eventually implement, I am trying to foster some
>> community  >> involvement on that site. Several of the
>> TeamSybase members have joined  >> already and are
>> available to answer questions there. >>
>> evolves into more than  >> just a Q&A database, but it
>> won't get there without your participation. >

*********************************
Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
http://www.freerice.com
*********************************
Newsgroup User Manual
=====================
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

PB Futures updated April 2/2008
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
5/14/2008 1:59:52 PM
 Sorry for the same and, I have tried before in that way,
its working, but when I watch through Debug->Objects in
Memory, I could see that still its exists the same array
size in memory. Let me try to explain once again what I did,

Just before destroying the DataStore, I could see that it
exists like Temp [12](that was Temp [0] at initial
execution). And then I tried the FOR LOOP to destroy each
with,
If UpperBound > 0 Then
  FOR Cnt = 1 TO UpperBound(Temp[])
    If IsValid(Temp[Cnt]) Then Destroy Temp[Cnt]
  NEXT
End If
And it causing the Termination of application after a
while(like the initial memory usage was 50,000k and
terminates when exceeds 100,000k). Thank you,

Jemson Kuriakose

> [...]
> already and are >> available to answer questions there. >>
> >> evolves into more than  >> just a Q&A database, but it
> >> won't get there without your participation. >
> >> >

> *********************************
> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
> http://www.freerice.com
> *********************************
> Newsgroup User Manual
> =====================
> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
> Forums = Peer-to-peer
> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
> *********************************
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's
> Toolkit.  Version 4.0.3 now available at the Sandbox
> PB Futures updated April 2/2008
> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the
0
Jemson
5/14/2008 2:11:59 PM
Are you trying to resize an unbound array? Once PB allocates an element
in an array, it will not release that element until the array goes out
of scope. If you really want to re-index an array, use code like this:

// Assuming ls_big[] has 13 elements...
DataStore ls_Small[]
Long i

// This code simply clears the datastores... it does nothing for the array
FOR i = UpperBound (ls_big) TO 1 STEP -1
    IF IsValid (ls_Big[i]) THEN DESTROY ls_Big[i]
NEXT

// This statement re-indexes the array.
ls_Big = ls_Small
// At this point, UpperBound (ls_Big) = 0

--
Off topic:
Sybase has been reviewing NNTP availability and is looking at
alternative ways to build a user community. As a test-bed /
proof-of-concept, I have personally created a community on Ning
(http://powerbuilder.ning.com). While Ning certainly doesn't offer all
of the features that I'd like to see Sybase eventually implement, I am
trying to foster some community involvement on that site. Several of the
TeamSybase members have joined already and are available to answer
questions there.

Please sign up; give it a try. My hope is that it evolves into more than
just a Q&A database, but it won't get there without your participation.
0
Jason

Arrays, Arrays, Arrays
I mainly come from a JScript classic ASP background and I'm liking both C#.net and JScript.net. Now I have to say... "What's happened to arrays?" They used to be so flexible and easy to use. Here are my quick questions... Am I allowed to create an array with a non specified length so that I can add to it? If not then how can I modify an array's length? Can I create an array with a named index eg myArray["apple"] = "tasty"; or is the hash table the equivalent for this now? The classic array methods and properties like pop(), push(), length etc... are ...

Powerbuilder and database array fetching / array inserts
What I understand from the documentation, Powerbuilder supports array fetching when you issue a SELECT query. The size of this "array" can be changed by setting the DBParm parameter BLOCK (we have an Oracle db) But what about array inserts? Does Powerbuilder support this if you are using bindvariables? I mean, if you have a datawindow (rows with NewModified! status), does the dw.Update() then produce one Insert command and send all the inserted values in an array to the database, or (what I suspect) will there be an insert command (sent over the network) for every row in th...

How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays?
How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > -----Original Message----- > From: Angerstein [mailto:ang@nmc-m.dtag.de] > Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 6:12 AM > To: beginners@perl.org > Subject: How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > > > How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? $ perl -d -e 1 ..... DB<1> @aoa = ([qw(foo bar baz)]) << create array of arrays DB<2> x @aoa 0 ARRAY(0x80f82dc) 0 'foo' 1 'bar' 2 'baz' DB<3> unshift @{$aoa[0]}, 'qu...

Concatenating arrays from arrays of arrays
Hello - I am trying to accumulate items in a flat list (array) by concatenating on to it the scalars contained in arrays which in turn are contained in arrays. The data is to be read in from a file rather than existing as literals in my code. Everything I try either crashes the computer or gives me an array of arrays instead of a flat list. I have been programming in Unicon which has a concatenate operator, but Perl makes very heavy weather of nested list management. Should I switch to Lisp, or is there a way of doing what I want to do in Perl? Regards _John Sampson_ On...

referring to an array in an array of arrays
How can I get at an array in an array of arrays? I'm creating the arrays using: $fComments[$i++] = [ @comments ]; Now I want to get back what I put in: print "$fComments[0]\n"; but this prints ARRAY(0x107671f0). How do I follow that pointer? (I really think we need a pre-beginners list... =) TIA. - B You can try something like this: print "@{$fComments[0]}\n"; Which will attempt to dereference the array at $fComments[0]. -----Original Message----- From: Bryan R Harris [mailto:Bryan_R_Harris@raytheon.com] Sent: Tue...

An array of arrays
Could anybody help me out here? Here's the message I just got from a guy I know: ----------- I was wondering if you know how to create and access an array of arrays in Perl. Basically I'm parsing an exported text file containing e-mails and I think I want to move some fields into arrays until I'm ready to do my report. Here basically is what I'm looking at doing: ^ | | Array 1 (messages) | | v <------ Array 2 -------> (message fields:FROM, TO, CC, etc, sensitivity, etc) I want to be able to search through the first array to count how many messag...

Array of arrays
Hi I'm trying to return from a web service a array of arrays, one of the arrays is a array of objects, which I tested separately and it's working fine, and another array of integer and another of strings. When I run the web service I got this:You must implement a default accessor on System.Array because it inherits from ICollectionDefault accessor what that means? Thank you very much.  As Heinlein said "specialization is for insects" explore beyond the universe. Could you pls post the relevant code ? hi rushan thank you for the reply the code is here:  ...

Array of Arrays
Hi, I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which needs to be passed to Oracle database to minimize the round trips to hte server. I was successful in sending simple arrays so far but no idea on how to create array of arrays in PB. I have used structures to simulate this but looks like I can't send the structure to Oracle. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks, Anil Please don't cross-post. On 3 Mar 2005 14:02:47 -0800, Anil wrote: >Hi, > >I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which >needs to be passed to Oracle database t...

array of arrays
Hi, I have a simple question: how do I access an array in an array? @array = (@array1, array2); ### unless this is wrong... the idea behind it is, that I have a long list, and want to put all 25 entries in a seperate array in that big array. later on I want to be able to read one specific array at a certain position... -- cheers alex mailto:Keex@gmx.de you need to learn about references. read the: perldoc perllol here is the jist though. @all = (\@array1, \@array2 ... ); # ... so on to access first array and first element...

Array of Arrays
Hi, I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which needs to be passed to Oracle database to minimize the round trips to hte server. I was successful in sending simple arrays so far but no idea on how to create array of arrays in PB. I have used structures to simulate this but looks like I can't send the PB structure to Oracle. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks, Anil PB 11 or 12 I believe will have this native. <Anil> wrote in message news:422789a4.721c.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi, > > I am looking for a way to create an array of ar...

array of arrays
Hi. =20 Im using a multidimensional array in the following way: $array[$i][$j][$k] =3D [ @list ]; where, @list is a 2-D array ie. = $list[][]. How do I access the individual elements of the array @list once Ive put it = into the array @array? Thanks. -ty On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 02:28:41PM -0600, Tyler Cruickshank wrote: > $array[$i][$j][$k] = [ @list ]; where, @list is a 2-D array ie. $list[][]. > > How do I access the individual elements of the array @list once Ive put it > into the array @array? $array[$i][$j][$k][$l][$m] eq $list[$l][$m] Howev...

What generals generally do

Array of Array.
How is possible to declare a DYNAMIC array of array ? I need something like a dynamic hash table whose pages grow up dynamically too (each one can have different number of elements). In other words, a matrix that can be dynamic in both dimension. example: [1,2,3...] [3,4..] [5] [6,7,8,9...] [.] .. .. .. Have you considered using a DataStore? -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] SDN CodeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com "Marco Meoni - News" <mmeoni@usl4.toscana.it> wrote in message news:401ba036$1@forums-2-dub... > How ...

[@array] and \@array
Given the case, my @array = (1,2,3,4); my $var1 = [@array]; my $var2 = \@array; What's the difference between $var1 and $var2? Are they all refered to @array? Thanks guys. On 3/22/07, Jm lists <practicalperl@gmail.com> wrote: > Given the case, > > my @array = (1,2,3,4); > my $var1 = [@array]; > my $var2 = \@array; > > What's the difference between $var1 and $var2? > Are they all refered to @array? > Thanks guys. $var2 is a reference to @array. $var1 is a reference to new array. Observe #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use war...

Web resources about - Array Boundary Exeeded! - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Grain boundary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A grain boundary is the interface between two grains , or crystallites, in a polycrystalline material. Grain boundaries are defects in the crystal ...

Man bailed over assault on cop at West End's Boundary Hotel
Officer hit in West End brawl that was linked to car crash.

Police hit in brawl outside West End's Boundary Hotel
Inner-city car crash that injured six people linked to fight.

Glenn Maxwell laments rule that allowed his freak catch straddling boundary
... catch on Friday was upheld, Glenn Maxwell, remains opposed to fielders being able to claim catches while jumping from outside the boundary. ...

Concerns over planned Gladstone port boundary
A proposed boundary for Queensland's Port of Gladstone fails to protect some vulnerable areas from development, conservationists say.

Cricket World Cup: Zimbabwe fumes over Ireland's John Mooney catch on boundary rope
Zimbabwe believes it suffered an injustice over an Irish catch which saw the fielder appear to touch the boundary rope.

DR Congo seeks Virunga park boundary change
DR Congo says it wants to redraw the boundaries of Virunga National Park, a Unesco World Heritage site, to allow for oil exploration

Proposed Calgary ward boundary adjustments raise concerns - Calgary Herald
Community associations and city councillors are concerned about newly proposed adjustments to Calgary's ward boundaries, stating citizens don't ...

This amazing video shows every state and county boundary change in America from 1629 to 2000
The remarkable video below from EarthDirect is time-lapse animation showing every boundary change in American history for the continental United ...

Special force planned for sea boundary
The force will be consisted of skilled personnel and it would be headed by a three-star general.