array boundary exceeded

How much records can an unbounded string array handle in PowerBuilder?

I use an unbounded String array in my code. Normally, It works fine, but I got
this "array boundary exceeded" error when the code put big amount of data (like
40,000) to this array? So I'd like to know how much data PowerBuilder Array can
handle.

Thanks very much.

Connie
Connie

Theoretically, it's only limited to the amount of memory available on your
machine. Are you, perhaps, using an INT variable as your index? Once an INT
passes 32,767 it flops back to -32,768 and would give you this error. Try a
LONG variable instead.

HTH

"Connie Wang" <connie.wang@cingular.com> wrote in message
> How much records can an unbounded string array handle in PowerBuilder?
>
> I use an unbounded String array in my code. Normally, It works fine, but I
got
> this "array boundary exceeded" error when the code put big amount of data
(like
> 40,000) to this array? So I'd like to know how much data PowerBuilder
Array can
> handle.
>

> Thanks very much.
>
> Connie

Bug
1/14/2002 9:22:46 PM
Please do not crosspost.

From the PB* documentation: Each dimension of an array can have
2,147,483,647 bytes of elements.

How are you populating this array. There is a limit when working with dw
where you can only manipulate 32k elements but I think you get a different
error.

/ck

"Connie Wang" <connie.wang@cingular.com> wrote in message
> How much records can an unbounded string array handle in PowerBuilder?
>
> I use an unbounded String array in my code. Normally, It works fine, but I
got
> this "array boundary exceeded" error when the code put big amount of data
(like
> 40,000) to this array? So I'd like to know how much data PowerBuilder
Array can
> handle.
>

> Thanks very much.
>
> Connie

Chris
1/14/2002 9:25:44 PM
Actually, different PB versions have had different limitations on array
sizes.  PB 6.5, for instance, has a limit of 2,147,483,647 elements per
dimension.  In practice it would be hard to exceed this limitation with
40,000 rows even if a single dimension was used with each column having it's
own element and using an "offset" to locate specific rows.  So, Bug's theory
is a lot more plausible then actually exceeding PB's limitations.

It is an "unbounded" array isn't it?

HTH

-EGM

Bug <fenterbug@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Theoretically, it's only limited to the amount of memory available on your
> machine. Are you, perhaps, using an INT variable as your index? Once an
INT
> passes 32,767 it flops back to -32,768 and would give you this error. Try
> LONG variable instead.
>
> HTH
>

> "Connie Wang" <connie.wang@cingular.com> wrote in message
> > How much records can an unbounded string array handle in PowerBuilder?
> >
> > I use an unbounded String array in my code. Normally, It works fine, but
> got
> > this "array boundary exceeded" error when the code put big amount of
data
> (like
> > 40,000) to this array? So I'd like to know how much data PowerBuilder
> Array can
> > handle.
> >

> > Thanks very much.
> >
> > Connie
> > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> > http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
Edward
1/14/2002 9:40:10 PM
It think you mean the string is unlimited. The array dimension is limited.

/ck

"Bug" <fenterbug@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Theoretically, it's only limited to the amount of memory available on your
> machine. Are you, perhaps, using an INT variable as your index? Once an
INT
> passes 32,767 it flops back to -32,768 and would give you this error. Try
> LONG variable instead.
>
> HTH
>

> "Connie Wang" <connie.wang@cingular.com> wrote in message
> > How much records can an unbounded string array handle in PowerBuilder?
> >
> > I use an unbounded String array in my code. Normally, It works fine, but
> got
> > this "array boundary exceeded" error when the code put big amount of
data
> (like
> > 40,000) to this array? So I'd like to know how much data PowerBuilder
> Array can
> > handle.
> >

> > Thanks very much.
> >
> > Connie
> > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> > http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
Chris
1/14/2002 9:45:14 PM
What I meant isn't correct. As you said, there IS a limit to the number of
elements, though I didn't know that this morning. Regardless, if the index
is a 16-bit integer variable, you will get problems at the 32,768th element.
And you can avoid this by using a 32-bit integer variable (a Long) to index
your array.

"Chris Keating" <nospam_keating@iAnywhere.com> wrote in message
> It think you mean the string is unlimited. The array dimension is limited.
>
> /ck
>
> "Bug" <fenterbug@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Theoretically, it's only limited to the amount of memory available on
your
> > machine. Are you, perhaps, using an INT variable as your index? Once an
> INT
> > passes 32,767 it flops back to -32,768 and would give you this error.
Try
> > LONG variable instead.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> > "Connie Wang" <connie.wang@cingular.com> wrote in message
> > > How much records can an unbounded string array handle in PowerBuilder?
> > >
> > > I use an unbounded String array in my code. Normally, It works fine,
but
> > got
> > > this "array boundary exceeded" error when the code put big amount of
> data
> > (like
> > > 40,000) to this array? So I'd like to know how much data PowerBuilder
> > Array can
> > > handle.
> > >

> > > Thanks very much.
> > >
> > > Connie
> > > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> > > http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
Bug
1/14/2002 11:08:37 PM
Whenever I run into this, it's usually a backhanded way of
PowerBuilder telling me it's run out of memory, so it can't allocate
any more array elements.

Maybe a work around (a good day for suggesting this <g>) is to use an
external datawindow, and set the datawindow to store data to disk (you
don't mention version, but there was a bug that storage to disk didn't
work in early PB6 versions). May be a little slower... then again, it
may be faster than the stopped version <g>. The catch is that you'll
have to define the maximum size of your string.

Good luck,

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:36:08 -0500, "Connie Wang"
<connie.wang@cingular.com> wrote:

>How much records can an unbounded string array handle in PowerBuilder?
>
>I use an unbounded String array in my code. Normally, It works fine, but I got
>this "array boundary exceeded" error when the code put big amount of data (like
>40,000) to this array? So I'd like to know how much data PowerBuilder Array can
>handle.

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry

Jag Error: Array boundary exceeded...
Hello everyone, I hope someone can help with this error we've been recieving ever since we upgraded to C3. I have a case open with Sybase, but they aren't being very helpful... Anyway, here's the error I see in svr.log: Error: Array boundary exceeded at line 29 in function of_convert_value of object nv_retreival_arg. Aug 28 12:07:05 2000: PowerBuilder Application Execution Error (R0003) Application terminated. Apparently, this is a Sybase component? This error occurs when we open a page with an HTML datawinow on it. For some reason it seems to only occur on pages with HTML datawindows that accept a date (not confirmed), but it causes the following error to display on the HTML page: ERROR: On component call 'RetrieveEx' = 'Exception thrown: org.omg.CORBA.UNKNOWN: IDL:CTS/PBUserException:1.0 in method RetrieveEx of class DataWindow/_st_HTMLGenerator. ' ERROR: On component call 'Generate' = 'Exception thrown: org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: offset (24) + length (4) exceeds message size (24) in method Generate of class DataWindow/_st_HTMLGenerator. I think it's significant that not all of our pages with HTML datawindows are failing, only a subset of them are. Also, these are not NEW pages... these have been in production since 11/99 with no recent changes (other than the upgrade to C3) and have been working fine. Thanks for any help! Bobby R Arrgh... what's the case number that you have open?.......

array boundary exceeded error in pfc_n_cst_tvsrv
Hi friends, I am facing a problem with of_searchchild function of pfc_n_cst_tvsrv, I get array boundary exceeded error at line 54. Also I get this error only when I run the executable, from development environment it works fine ... i don't get any error messages. I was wondering if this is a known problem and if anybody could give me any leads on this. Environment : PB 6.5 / PFC / Windows 95 / Sybase 11.5 Thanks, Shafi. ...

Arrays, Arrays, Arrays
I mainly come from a JScript classic ASP background and I'm liking both C#.net and JScript.net. Now I have to say... "What's happened to arrays?" They used to be so flexible and easy to use. Here are my quick questions... Am I allowed to create an array with a non specified length so that I can add to it? If not then how can I modify an array's length? Can I create an array with a named index eg myArray["apple"] = "tasty"; or is the hash table the equivalent for this now? The classic array methods and properties like pop(), push(), length etc... are these no longer? Does one have to create their own custom class for these? To be honest, I really don't come from a coding background, self-taught you might say. All I really need is a good reference source then I'd be happy as larry. Are there and good referece sites out there for C# (or JScript.net)? At the moment I think I am cheating coz I'm using Classic Jscript ASP (I think) in my .net files unless there is nothing wrong with this? I do like the String and Array methods like split(), join(), indexof() etc... Surely these or their equivalent must exist for C#? Again, many thanks in advance. Hi, Checkout ArrayList. It has a lot more features when compared to Arrays. --Shravan Addaypally MCP Hi Am I allowed to create an array with a non specified length so that I can add to it? If not then how can I modify an array's length?? Well as someone said you c...

Powerbuilder and database array fetching / array inserts
What I understand from the documentation, Powerbuilder supports array fetching when you issue a SELECT query. The size of this "array" can be changed by setting the DBParm parameter BLOCK (we have an Oracle db) But what about array inserts? Does Powerbuilder support this if you are using bindvariables? I mean, if you have a datawindow (rows with NewModified! status), does the dw.Update() then produce one Insert command and send all the inserted values in an array to the database, or (what I suspect) will there be an insert command (sent over the network) for every row in th...

Concatenating arrays from arrays of arrays
Hello - I am trying to accumulate items in a flat list (array) by concatenating on to it the scalars contained in arrays which in turn are contained in arrays. The data is to be read in from a file rather than existing as literals in my code. Everything I try either crashes the computer or gives me an array of arrays instead of a flat list. I have been programming in Unicon which has a concatenate operator, but Perl makes very heavy weather of nested list management. Should I switch to Lisp, or is there a way of doing what I want to do in Perl? Regards _John Sampson_ On...

referring to an array in an array of arrays
How can I get at an array in an array of arrays? I'm creating the arrays using: $fComments[$i++] = [ @comments ]; Now I want to get back what I put in: print "$fComments[0]\n"; but this prints ARRAY(0x107671f0). How do I follow that pointer? (I really think we need a pre-beginners list... =) TIA. - B You can try something like this: print "@{$fComments[0]}\n"; Which will attempt to dereference the array at $fComments[0]. -----Original Message----- From: Bryan R Harris [mailto:Bryan_R_Harris@raytheon.com] Sent: Tue...

How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays?
How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > -----Original Message----- > From: Angerstein [mailto:ang@nmc-m.dtag.de] > Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 6:12 AM > To: beginners@perl.org > Subject: How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > > > How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? $ perl -d -e 1 ..... DB<1> @aoa = ([qw(foo bar baz)]) << create array of arrays DB<2> x @aoa 0 ARRAY(0x80f82dc) 0 'foo' 1 'bar' 2 'baz' DB<3> unshift @{$aoa[0]}, 'qu...

Array of Array.
How is possible to declare a DYNAMIC array of array ? I need something like a dynamic hash table whose pages grow up dynamically too (each one can have different number of elements). In other words, a matrix that can be dynamic in both dimension. example: [1,2,3...] [3,4..] [5] [6,7,8,9...] [.] .. .. .. Have you considered using a DataStore? -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] SDN CodeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com "Marco Meoni - News" <mmeoni@usl4.toscana.it> wrote in message news:401ba036$1@forums-2-dub... > How ...

[@array] and \@array
Given the case, my @array = (1,2,3,4); my $var1 = [@array]; my $var2 = \@array; What's the difference between $var1 and $var2? Are they all refered to @array? Thanks guys. On 3/22/07, Jm lists <practicalperl@gmail.com> wrote: > Given the case, > > my @array = (1,2,3,4); > my $var1 = [@array]; > my $var2 = \@array; > > What's the difference between $var1 and $var2? > Are they all refered to @array? > Thanks guys. $var2 is a reference to @array. $var1 is a reference to new array. Observe #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use war...

array of arrays
Hi. =20 Im using a multidimensional array in the following way: $array[$i][$j][$k] =3D [ @list ]; where, @list is a 2-D array ie. = $list[][]. How do I access the individual elements of the array @list once Ive put it = into the array @array? Thanks. -ty On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 02:28:41PM -0600, Tyler Cruickshank wrote: > $array[$i][$j][$k] = [ @list ]; where, @list is a 2-D array ie. $list[][]. > > How do I access the individual elements of the array @list once Ive put it > into the array @array? $array[$i][$j][$k][$l][$m] eq $list[$l][$m] Howev...

Array of Arrays
Hi, I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which needs to be passed to Oracle database to minimize the round trips to hte server. I was successful in sending simple arrays so far but no idea on how to create array of arrays in PB. I have used structures to simulate this but looks like I can't send the structure to Oracle. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks, Anil Please don't cross-post. On 3 Mar 2005 14:02:47 -0800, Anil wrote: >Hi, > >I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which >needs to be passed to Oracle database t...

Array of arrays
Hi I'm trying to return from a web service a array of arrays, one of the arrays is a array of objects, which I tested separately and it's working fine, and another array of integer and another of strings. When I run the web service I got this:You must implement a default accessor on System.Array because it inherits from ICollectionDefault accessor what that means? Thank you very much.  As Heinlein said "specialization is for insects" explore beyond the universe. Could you pls post the relevant code ? hi rushan thank you for the reply the code is here:  ...

An array of arrays
Could anybody help me out here? Here's the message I just got from a guy I know: ----------- I was wondering if you know how to create and access an array of arrays in Perl. Basically I'm parsing an exported text file containing e-mails and I think I want to move some fields into arrays until I'm ready to do my report. Here basically is what I'm looking at doing: ^ | | Array 1 (messages) | | v <------ Array 2 -------> (message fields:FROM, TO, CC, etc, sensitivity, etc) I want to be able to search through the first array to count how many messag...

array of arrays
Hi, I have a simple question: how do I access an array in an array? @array = (@array1, array2); ### unless this is wrong... the idea behind it is, that I have a long list, and want to put all 25 entries in a seperate array in that big array. later on I want to be able to read one specific array at a certain position... -- cheers alex mailto:Keex@gmx.de you need to learn about references. read the: perldoc perllol here is the jist though. @all = (\@array1, \@array2 ... ); # ... so on to access first array and first element...

What generals generally do

Array of Arrays
Hi, I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which needs to be passed to Oracle database to minimize the round trips to hte server. I was successful in sending simple arrays so far but no idea on how to create array of arrays in PB. I have used structures to simulate this but looks like I can't send the PB structure to Oracle. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks, Anil PB 11 or 12 I believe will have this native. <Anil> wrote in message news:422789a4.721c.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi, > > I am looking for a way to create an array of ar...

Hash arrays ("associative arrays" / "dictionaries") for PowerBuilder
One thing I miss in PowerBuilder development is something like a hash array. Are there any good* implementations/solutions out for PB? (I use PB9/PB11 for "normal applications" - no JAVA/.NET/Web targets) *good means for me: - no special runtime requirements like additional OLE components or special Windows components (like the .NET framework) - it shouldn't have much overhead Is there a PBNI implementation? Hi JKorth, it should not be that hard to implement using datastore. Have you checked pfc if it contains what you need ? Regards JKorth pisze: >...

extracting elements from arrays of arrays of arrays ;-)
Hiya All, I hope you'll forgive this oo perl rookie for asking a routine question. I'm not new to perl, but the bioperl module I'm working on is giving me a headache! ;-) Let's say I have this: my @array = qw(12 56 41 23); my $array_ref = \@array; # where $var1, $var2, and $var3 are other array references. my $ref = [$var1, $var2, $array_ref, $var3 ]; my @object = (); push @object, $ref; QUESTION: How do I obtain the array $array_ref refers to in this situtation? Let's say I want to give @new the values in @array. Thank many thanks for you...

Array boundary Exceded
Hello, I just re-deployed a webform app I wrote last year with one simple change. Since then the only thing we did with our desktops was upgrade to 11.5.1 build 4608. My deployment procedure was: I uninstalled the application on the server, built a new msi package without error, and re-installed it on the same server. The app starts up fine but any time now it pops up that "Loading please wait..." graphic, we get the following error: Powerbuilder Application Execution Error Application Terminated. Error: Array boundary exceeded: void d(system.string) of object...

OutParmtype boundary exceeded
Hej. I'm trying to make a dynamic sql but I ran into some problems. I get this error Array boundary exceeded in the OutParmtype[i] when i is 10. What us wrong. What I'm trying is writing a script that can handle input from a sql no matter how many rows and columns. Then it should send it to a word document. But this stops me. Is there anyone who can figure this out! Thanks Here are the code String ls_stringvar, Sqlstatement, ls_bookmark, ls_document, ls_arr[] Integer Intvar, i, ll_Column, ll_ColumnCount, ll_rowcount, ll_column_count, ll_col i=0 ll_col...

R0003:Array Boundary
Hi all, I am getting R0003 Array boundary exceeded. The value of the index does not exists in the array in power script. I declared as lst_lookup is a structure as string and source is string. FOR LL_INDEX=1 TO UPPERBOUND(LST_LOOKUP.LINE_NO) LL_ROW=INSERTROW(0) DW_DATA.SCROLLTOROW(LL_ROW) SETITEM(LL_ROW,'PARTY_ID',LST_LOOKUP.PARTY_CODE[LL_INDEX]) SETITEM(LL_ROW,'AC_CODE',LST_LOOKUP.AC_CODE[LL_INDEX]) /*************At this line iam getting the error. R0003.*******************************/ "SETITEM(LL_ROW,'AC_DORC',LST_LOOKUP.SOURCE[LL_INDEX])&...

CONSTANTS for array-boundary
I want program like in other languages usual. I want define a constant, and the array should so big like the constant. Example integer MAX_NAME = 16 string ls_names[MAX_NAME] This is normaly in PB7 not possible !? Do you know any other solution, except an array-definition without boundary-limits ( string ls_names[] ) Peter Stojkovic Did you try: constant integer MAX_NAME = 16 string ls_names[MAX_NAME] "Peter M. Stojkovic" <Peter.Stojkovic@SMS-Eumuco.de> wrote in message news:3AE56561.C65795AB@SMS-Eumuco.de... > I want program like...

Array Boundary Exeeded!
Hi All, I have a problem when I tried to destroy the DataStore within an array. The code I used is, ----------------------------------------------------- If IsValid(Ds_Value[Cnt]) Then DESTROY Ds_Value[Cnt] Ds_Value[Cnt] = CREATE DataStore ----------------------------------------------------- even the value of Cnt > 0, I am getting the error "Array Boundary Exeeded". I have many DataStores in the process and the application is exiting without any error, during the process. I am trying to clear the memmory in each loop to avoid the termination. Thanks in a...

Web resources about - array boundary exceeded - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Boundary (topology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In topology and mathematics in general, the boundary of a subset S of a topological space X is the set of points which can be approached both ...

Council ward boundary changes a step closer
Brisbane is growing and so are its council wards, which is why the Electoral Commission of Queensland has moved to make changes.

Anger over 'absurd' plan for council boundary to split Majors Creek
Plans to split Majors Creek into two council areas labelled &quot;absurd&quot; and devoid of common sense.

East Timor to Malcolm Turnbull: Let's start talks on maritime boundary
Timor hopes Turnbull takes a new tack and negotiates on unresolved boundary

Council boundary plan would spell the end of Royalla's 'illogical' divide
Royalla residents have welcomed the news of a possible merger between Queanbeyan and part of Palerang, which would spell the end of their &quot;illogical&quot; ...

East Timor to Malcolm Turnbull: Let's start talks on maritime boundary
Timor hopes Turnbull takes a new tack and negotiates on unresolved boundary

Proposed Calgary ward boundary adjustments raise concerns - Calgary Herald
Community associations and city councillors are concerned about newly proposed adjustments to Calgary's ward boundaries, stating citizens don't ...

Unclear maritime boundary with Indonesia takes toll on PH fishery
Government data show that the fishing sector's catch has been dwindling since 2010. Officials blame it on climate change. But others point to ...

Gotham Season 2 Will Push the Boundary of Bruce Wayne's Journey to Batman
In the last few episodes before the Season 2 mid-season break of Gotham, Bruce Wayne really [...]

Why is there a mysterious boundary deep in the Earth's mantle?
Two separate teams of scientists propose explanations for a suspected boundary marking a property change in our planet's mantle.