Application running slow after Migrating from PB 6.5 -> PB 9.0.2

Hi,

We have migrated our application from PB 6.5 TO
pb9.0.2.
We have around 80 pbls.
In PB 6.5 , application used to be fast. I mean EXE.
In PB 9.0.2 , exe is running slow.
We are not using PFC
DATABASE is : Oracle 8.1.7.4.0

Any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Kavitha.M
0
Kavitha

That's really not enough information to be helpful.  You probably need
to do some profiling of your application to determine what operations
are taking too much time.  Once you've narrowed it down somewhat we
may be able to help.

On 28 Feb 2005 22:54:22 -0800, Kavitha wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We have migrated our application from PB 6.5 TO
>pb9.0.2.
>We have around 80 pbls.
>In PB 6.5 , application used to be fast. I mean EXE.
>In PB 9.0.2 , exe is running slow.
>We are not using PFC
>DATABASE is : Oracle 8.1.7.4.0
>

>Any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>Kavitha.M

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Vote for DataWindow.Net!
http://sys-con.com/dotnet/readerschoice2004/

TeamSybase blogs:
http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs

PowerBuilder Developer's Journal:
http://sys-con.com/pbdj/

Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups

Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
http://www.codexchange.sybase.com

http://www.needhim.org

NOTE:

If you are using Google to post messages to the newsgroups, you will
*not* receive a reply.  Messages posted through Google never reach the
Sybase newsgroup server, so we don't see them in order to respond to
them.  You should post your question using a standard newsgroup reader
or the web based newsreaders at my.sybase.com or www.pfcguide.com.
Google is great for searching the Sybase newsgroups, but you can't post
to them from there.

DISCLAIMER:

This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
it may not.

Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that the
author has multiple personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.
0
Bruce
3/1/2005 1:47:46 PM
 Are you running the application from a file server on the network?

<Kavitha> wrote in message news:4224119c.42d3.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi,
>
> We have migrated our application from PB 6.5 TO
> pb9.0.2.
> We have around 80 pbls.
> In PB 6.5 , application used to be fast. I mean EXE.
> In PB 9.0.2 , exe is running slow.
> We are not using PFC
> DATABASE is : Oracle 8.1.7.4.0
>

> Any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Kavitha.M

0
Chris
3/1/2005 2:07:22 PM
Just to give an example, one app I analyzed for performance problems after an
upgrade had a problem with changing graphics in a DataWindow. In the new
version, it was a fraction of a second longer, but they were changing the
graphic dozens of times per user operation. While the performance change
wouldn't hit 99.9% of the apps out there, it massacred them. Once we added some
sanity to their graphic changing algorithm, performance returned to expected
levels.

That to say, while most apps don't have significant performance differences in a
migration like you describe, it's entirely possible that you do. You'll need to
profile it (profiling tools come included in PB Enterprise) and try to get an
idea on what operation might be slowing you down.

Good luck,

On 1 Mar 2005 05:47:46 -0800,
 in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com> wrote:
>That's really not enough information to be helpful.  You probably need
>to do some profiling of your application to determine what operations
>are taking too much time.  Once you've narrowed it down somewhat we
>may be able to help.
>
>On 28 Feb 2005 22:54:22 -0800, Kavitha wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>We have migrated our application from PB 6.5 TO
>>pb9.0.2.
>>We have around 80 pbls.
>>In PB 6.5 , application used to be fast. I mean EXE.
>>In PB 9.0.2 , exe is running slow.
>>We are not using PFC
>>DATABASE is : Oracle 8.1.7.4.0
>>

>>Any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Kavitha.M
>
>Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
>http://www.teamsybase.com
>
>Vote for DataWindow.Net!
>http://sys-con.com/dotnet/readerschoice2004/
>
>TeamSybase blogs:
>http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs
>
>PowerBuilder Developer's Journal:
>http://sys-con.com/pbdj/
>
>Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
>http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups
>
>Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
>http://www.codexchange.sybase.com
>
>Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of Assisi
>http://www.needhim.org

>NOTE:
>
>If you are using Google to post messages to the newsgroups, you will
>*not* receive a reply.  Messages posted through Google never reach the
>Sybase newsgroup server, so we don't see them in order to respond to
>them.  You should post your question using a standard newsgroup reader
>or the web based newsreaders at my.sybase.com or www.pfcguide.com.
>Google is great for searching the Sybase newsgroups, but you can't post
>to them from there.

>DISCLAIMER:
>
>This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
>is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
>message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
>that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
>it may not.
>
>Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
>of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
>Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
>products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
>views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that the
>author has multiple personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
>of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.

*********************************
Click once a day to help the hungry
http://www.thehungersite.com
*********************************

See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
3/1/2005 3:30:32 PM
Kavitha, can i ask you a question.  We are migrating to pb 9
as well.
In my app we have 3 targets,  of the 3, on target is shared
by both the other 2.  Do you have shared objects like this.
If so, how did you set your workspace.
Thanks
> Hi,
>
> We have migrated our application from PB 6.5 TO
> pb9.0.2.
> We have around 80 pbls.
> In PB 6.5 , application used to be fast. I mean EXE.
> In PB 9.0.2 , exe is running slow.
> We are not using PFC
> DATABASE is : Oracle 8.1.7.4.0
>

> Any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Kavitha.M
0
mfanning
3/1/2005 5:59:26 PM
we are running exe from remote server

>  Are you running the application from a file server on the
> network?
>
> <Kavitha> wrote in message
> > news:4224119c.42d3.1681692777@sybase.com... Hi,
> >
> > We have migrated our application from PB 6.5 TO
> > pb9.0.2.
> > We have around 80 pbls.
> > In PB 6.5 , application used to be fast. I mean EXE.
> > In PB 9.0.2 , exe is running slow.
> > We are not using PFC
> > DATABASE is : Oracle 8.1.7.4.0
> >

> > Any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Kavitha.M

0
kavitha
3/2/2005 11:56:40 AM
Kavitha;

 OK then .. what did you in probably was PB 7. It's architecture changed to
do a resource "look-up" for bitmaps and icons EVERYTIME it instantiates a
window, picture, toolbar, etc. This quite often forced the O/S to go back to
all EXE and DLL's looking for this graphic resource (ie: across the
network). If this is the case in your application ... here is what you can
do:

1)    If you are on a 10 mbs network get yourself up to 100 mbs or better
yet 1Gbs. Then the overhead is not noticeable.
       - We run all our applications from a server with a 1G backbone and
100M hubs and the PB applications (v 9.0.2 and 10.0.1) are instantaneous.
2)    Copy the application to each user's "C" drive.
3)    Make sure you link all application resources into the EXE or DLL
(PBD)'s.
4)    Make sure all external resources (icons, images, etc) do NOT have a
"path"!
5)    Upgrade to Windows 2000/XP that caches the application resources
better (If you are not already there).

Regards ... Chris

<kavitha> wrote in message news:4225a9f4.53ee.1681692777@sybase.com...
> we are running exe from remote server
>
> >  Are you running the application from a file server on the
> > network?
> >
> > <Kavitha> wrote in message
> > > news:4224119c.42d3.1681692777@sybase.com... Hi,
> > >
> > > We have migrated our application from PB 6.5 TO
> > > pb9.0.2.
> > > We have around 80 pbls.
> > > In PB 6.5 , application used to be fast. I mean EXE.
> > > In PB 9.0.2 , exe is running slow.
> > > We are not using PFC
> > > DATABASE is : Oracle 8.1.7.4.0
> > >

> > > Any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Kavitha.M

0
Chris
3/2/2005 1:34:57 PM
HI ,

we  have only one target. we set one workspace and then one
target which corresponds to the application.

May be you should arrange ur targets for the workspace in
order which you want.

Regards,
Kavitha

> Kavitha, can i ask you a question.  We are migrating to pb
> 9 as well.
> In my app we have 3 targets,  of the 3, on target is
> shared by both the other 2.  Do you have shared objects
> like this.  If so, how did you set your workspace.
> Thanks
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have migrated our application from PB 6.5 TO
> > pb9.0.2.
> > We have around 80 pbls.
> > In PB 6.5 , application used to be fast. I mean EXE.
> > In PB 9.0.2 , exe is running slow.
> > We are not using PFC
> > DATABASE is : Oracle 8.1.7.4.0
> >

> > Any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Kavitha.M
0
kavitha

Migrating from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0 #2
After migrating our PB 6.5 application to PB 9.0 it showed up warnings for GetSQLPreview function. Is it safe to leave this as it is? Since they are quite a lot. Will it cause any problems? Thanks, Rahul The help file in PB8 states: Obsolete method GetSQLPreview is obsolete and will be discontinued in the near future. You should replace all references to GetSQLPreview as soon as possible. The SQL syntax is available as an argument in the DBError and SQLPreview events. That means that Sybase has warned you that the function won't be around forever. You're going to ...

PB 6.5 Migrated from PB 5.0 Application deployment
I recently migrated a PFC/PFE application from PB 5.04 to 6.5. I have compiled it down to p-code and am able to run the application from both the developement environment & from the EXE on the machine that has PB 5.04 installed on it. When I move the application and the PB 6.5 deployment DLL's to a machine without PB 5.04 on it, it starts asking me for the whole set of PB 5.04 deplymnt DLL's. It's like there is some sort of dependance on PB 5.04 that I didn't break during the migration process. My OS is NT 4.0 SP4 and the application path includes the app/pbd'...

PB crashes while migrating pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0
Hi, I am trying migrate a pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0. It crashes while rebuilding for migration. Is there anything needs to be taken care before the migrating it to pb 9.0 ? Thanks, Mohan Same as any other version: - backup - optimize all PBLs - run Migration Assistant in destination version; try to deal with as much as possible in original version - full build, with information and warning messages turned on, so you know which messages after migration aren't new - backup, backup, backup - migrate - if it crashes, try again and watch messages to see if you ca...

PB 5.0.4 Application can't migrate to PB 6.5
Hi, I try to migrate the application from PB5.0.4 to PB6.5. After migration, some errors occurs. Problem 1: A window ( say w_abc) which is inherited from another window (w_inherit). After migration, it has following errors Object: w_abc Instance Variables (0002) Error C0001: Illegal data type: istru_result istru_result - is a window structure in w_inherit window and it is used in w_abc instance variables In w_abc window, Instance variables: istru_result istru_result1 Problem 2: If a function which used string array ...

Migrating from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0
Sybase will be giving our company a presentation on migrating from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0 with a view to deploying to the WEB. Our application is three tier. IBM DB2 PB App Servers on Mid teir Servers PB Client applications on WinNT and Win98 PCs If anyone has any experiences (usually bad) with migration issues I would appreciate any input or advice on specific questions and issues we should bring up at this presentation. Thanks Snookyt What app servers are you using now? Is this currently a DPB app? On Thu, 2 May 2002 15:07:36 -0400, in powersoft.public.powerbuilde...

Migration from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0
Hello, We are in the process of migrating from PB 6.5 to 9.0.1 Build 7096. We found that when we are inserting rows using PB 6.5 it was found that the SQL which got generated in where was : WHERE APPLICANT_ID = NULL, In PB 9.0 the same datawindow is generating SQL as : WHERE APPLICANT_ID is NULL. The 2nd one is taking a long time to display the blank screen. Is there any solution to this which can be put in the INI file? Environment is Oracle 9i R2 and PB 9.0 using O84 drivers. Regards Ravi Why are you not using the "O90" drivers? "RH" <rharv...

We recently migrated a PB6.5 application to PB 9 (Ver 9.0.1 Build 6533) and when we run the app in interactive mode, it runs fine but upon exiting the app
We recently migrated a PB6.5 application to PB 9 (Ver 9.0.1 Build 6533) and when we run the app in interactive mode, it runs fine but upon exiting the app - it always generates the following message: PB90.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. If we run the app through the debugger, there is never any such error upon closing out of the application. I can never find any error log file that gets created. We are running the PB code on a Novell network against an Oracle 8 database. Any s...

PB GPFs while migrating an app from PB 5.0.2 to PB 8.0.1
Hi, I am trying to migrate an application from PB 5.0.02 to PB 8.0.01. The application runs perfectly under PB 5.0.02. While migrating the app, I get the following message: Pb80 has caused an error in PBVM80.DLL. Then PB crashes. Any suggestions? Moreover, does anyone know of some white paper with some advices on migrating apps? Thx Luca Before migrating, you should run the Migration Assistant (File / New / Tools). Make any suggested changes with PB5 before migrating. Of course, backup, backup, backup. Then, optimize all the PBLs and do a Full Rebuild (Library Pain...

Migration from PB 5/6.5 to PB 9
Hi, if anyone could provide with a link to a document/whitpaper on migrating from PB5/6.5 to PB 9 giving details about methodology, complexties in it etc. Thanks in advance. Gurpreet Singh You can use the following link http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/changes_to_powerbuilder.html Vinay Karwal > Hi, if anyone could provide with a link to a > document/whitpaper on migrating from PB5/6.5 to PB 9 > giving details about methodology, complexties in it etc. > > Thanks in advance. > Gurpreet Singh http://www.techno- kitten.com/Changes_t...

Powerbuilder Upgrade Issues (PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1)
Hello, We are having some issues while trying to upgrade from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1 The database is Sybase .I was hoping if you could post in any usergroups Background: There is a window w_child inherited from w_parent.The datasource of this dw_1 is a Stored Procedure that runs in Sybase ASE 12.5 In ue_1 of w_parent there is a dw_1.retrieve(arg1,arg2). ue_1 of w_child extends ue_1of w_parent. In ue_1 of w_child the code checks the condition dw_1.rowcount() >0 based on which it decides on the execution flow. Issue: While running the application, no rows are getting re...

PB 7.0 or PB 6.5 or PB 6.0 or PB5.04

Migrate/Upgrade from PB 5.0.xx to PB 8.0/9.0
Hi, I am having the PB 5.0.xx Applications running on my pc at this moment. I have to Migrate/Upgrade them to PB 8/9. What is the best way to get this? Can any one give me some guidance on this? Thanks for your Help in Advance Regards Migrating: - Backup - Optimize in PB5 - Full Rebuild in PB5, with Information and Warning messages turned on - Backup, send it offside - Run Migration Assistant (File / New / Tools in PB8/9) - Fix the identified issues using PB5 <doublechecking> - Optimize in PB5 - Full Rebuild in PB5, with Information and Warning messages t...

problem with migration pb 6.5 to pb 6.0
after problems in compilation with pb 6.5, I compile librairies in pb 6.0 and it is ok. But, in menu, letters with accent ("�" or "�" ) become "o". thanks to say me if it's normal... ...

Running PB 6.0 and PB 5.0 on Same Machine
I would like to start reviewing PB 6.0. Will there be problems if I load on the machine I used for PB 5.0 development? Any tricks or warnings I should know about? >I would like to start reviewing PB 6.0. Will there be problems if I load >on the machine I used for PB 5.0 development? Any tricks or warnings I >should know about? > I haven't seen any problems. The files are all named differently, so there should be no problem. Larry Cermak [Team Powersoft] | Moderator forums.powersoft.com.database Branick Consulting,Inc. | Moderator forums.powersoft.com.pow...

Migrating from PB 5.0.02 to PB 6.5...
Hello, The migration went pretty well, but I have an error and don't know where to look. Here it is: Object: ue_cie_ie Instance Variables (0031): Error C0176: Badly ordered TYPE and VARIABLE declarations. Is this modified exported source? Any ideas?? Thanks in Advance, Fred. (fred.goldbach@fiserv.com) What's on line 31 of the instance variables? Terry [TeamPS] and Sequel the techno-kitten On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:06:08 -0400, Fred Goldbach <fred.goldbach@fiserv.com> wrote: > The migration went pretty well, but I have an error and...

Web resources about - Application running slow after Migrating from PB 6.5 -> PB 9.0.2 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Development application for Holt golf course land open for public inspection
The developers selling 350 dwellings on disused parts of the Holt golf course have submitted their development application for public inspection. ...

Samsung Unveils the Latest Application Processor, Exynos 8 Octa, Built on 14-Nanometer FinFET Process ...
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, today announced the newest member of its Exynos family of ...

MBA: Mortgage Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 18% YoY ...
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 1.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications fall 1.3%
Despite a sharp rise in mortgage interest rates, mortgage application volume was not affected as much as expected.

Thousands of Java applications vulnerable to nine-month-old exploit
A popular Java library has a serious vulnerability, discovered over nine months ago, that continues to put thousands of Java applications and ...