Application Help Files

Hello all,

We are writting an application, and we want to know what
type of help files to use to give our users, well, help.

Do we use .chm or .hlp? Or does it matter at all??

Cheers,
Poopenhime
0
Poopenhime
9/16/2004 1:13:46 AM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 14 followers. Follow

On 15 Sep 2004 18:13:46 -0700, Poopenhime wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>We are writting an application, and we want to know what
>type of help files to use to give our users, well, help.
>
>Do we use .chm or .hlp? Or does it matter at all??

I would use the HTML help.  MS has been pushing it for years now.

  Boris Gasin [TeamSybase]
  mailto:NOSPAM_bgasin@dynamictechgroup.com
    ___
  ____   _
 _____    _
  ____   _
    ___

  Dynamic Technology Group, Inc.
  http://www.dynamictechgroup.com/
0
Boris
9/16/2004 5:26:41 PM
Cheers! I will use the HTML help then. thanks heaps!

> I would use the HTML help.  MS has been pushing it for
> years now.
>
>   Boris Gasin [TeamSybase]
>   mailto:NOSPAM_bgasin@dynamictechgroup.com
>     ___
>   ____   _
>  _____    _
>   ____   _
>     ___
>

>   Dynamic Technology Group, Inc.
>   http://www.dynamictechgroup.com/
0
Poopenhime

Help...copy file when the source file is open by another application
CopyFile does not work if the source is open. Please give me an example how to copy in that case the file from source to destination. Thanks. BB DD <> wrote: >CopyFile does not work if the source is open. Please give me an example how to copy in that case the file from source to destination. Thanks. Open the file in read-only mode. If the file cannot be opened in read-only mode, it can not be copied. Open the destination file. Read the source file. Write the destination file. Repeat until done. Close both files. ... ...

HELP-Files for my application
Hello i have implemented for my MDI-Application a help-file.....it work's find; how could i implement a help-function for my response-windows???? thank's in advance Michael E. in the open-event, set the menu for the response window after opening it (take a look at ChangeMenu() in PB-Help) and hide it afterwards. This will enable the user to still trigger the menu actions thru it's shortcuts (e.g. <Shift-F1>) but won't change the appearance. Ben "M.Erlinger" <michael.erlinger@vienna.at> wrote in message news:4077ed6a@forums-1-dub...

Help Help Help Help Help Help

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help with a Help application
 HelloI am looking for an application that can be integrated with my ASP.NET application to provide context sensitive help. When users navigate to different pages and click on the help icon, they should be able to see the help for the page they are on. The help text will be manually entered by a team that is not technically inclined.Currently, we have ASPX/HTML pages that holds the help information and link it from the header that has the help icon.Please let me know which products I can look at.Thanks! what I did: I put an help button on my masterpage....Javascript code on the maste...

Own Help in Powerbuilder Help
Hi all How can I get my Own Help into PB12 help? In PB 10.5 I put this into pbhelp105.cnt. But in PB12 there isn't a CNT in the Folder .../help. I found only HxK or HxC in the help folder. I have my own help instruction for Programmer. I want to include this in PB12 too. Have anyone a idea. Thanks. regards, Andr� Rust Actually what you are supposed to do is add this line to the [PB] section of pb.ini: UserHelpFile=myhelpfile.hlp The .cnt file is a type of index file that is generated by the help compiler. Copy your .hlp file into the ...\PowerBuilder...

Help with Help File
I have a project that uses the PFC command pfc_help to implement windows level help. I've set the ia_helptypeid for all cases. When I run the application through the PB environment all of the links to the help file work perfectly, but when I create an executable and run it I get the following error message: The help topic does not exist. Contact your application vendor for an updated help file. (129) Is there something I need to include in the resource file when I build the project? Thanks in advance for the help. Cheryl wrote: > > I have a project that uses the ...

application cannot find help file
Currently using BDS 2006, C++ Builder environment. Have recently upgraded application from BCB5. I have written a help file (winhelp32) which is located in a subdirectory below application directory. When I run application inside IDE to debug, application cannot find help file. When I examine application class, help file property is a null string. I have tried setting help file (full path name) in root module and in my main form (mdi application) with no luck. When I try calling helpcommand method p assing helpcontents constant, get access error with message stating that no helpcontents...

Powerbuilder application "crashing" another powerbuilder application
This is a repost of the above subject since there has been some problem for messages posted on the 19th - 22nd July 2002. *************** Hi All, I have an application (App A)built using PB7.0.3 build 10077 and it seems to work fine. However, recently, another application (App B) built using PB 7.0.3 build 10047 as well was installed and it seems to trigger Dr Watson on App A. There is an embedded OCX on a "main" window on App A, which receives triggers from external applications. The OCX will then call another function sitting on another main window. That function w...

Help Help Help Help

Creating application help files
Hey Guys,             I have a quick question. What do you think would be the best way to create online help files? Should I use the help workshop, use an xml based system, create a simple static help web site or is there an Atlas alternative? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks If by "online" you mean "from the web", then the HTML Help Workshop may not be the best idea since you'd have to download it as a compiled file anyway; of course if you've created your chm file with HHW, then you could always offer up a non-compil...

Linking Help file to my application
Can anyone help me do this: i would like to link a help file (.chm) to my web application. In other words when i press F1 i should be able to open this help file (.chm).   thanks Mighty Ducks  That would be hard to do for several reasons 1/. F1 key is the industry norm for launching help, so chances are you browser IE/FF/Opera would launch its help file when you hit F12/. This will have to be done on client side meaning you must use javascript to launch a new window to display your help, that means you will have to hook onto an onkeypress of your html document and check ...

help help help help

PB Application Help File
Hi, I want to create te window help file for PB Application but I don't know what tool or programe to use. Could any one help? Thank you. Maria Any tool that supports the Windows Help or HTMLHelp formats. Doc-To-Help, RoboHelp, etc., etc. On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:57:51 -0500, Maria wrote: >Hi, > >I want to create te window help file for PB Application but I don't know >what tool or programe to use. Could any one help? Thank you. > >Maria Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with Powe...

Web resources about - Application Help Files - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Miller accused's bail application adjourned until Friday
One of the two men charged with causing the one-punch death of Brisbane teenager Cole Miller will stay behind bars until at least Friday.

Apple Stores planned for India as application is filed with regulators
... India Times , the company has recently taken a major step in accomplishing that goal. According to the report, Apple has just filed an application ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 19% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications sink after rush