Where is Powerbuilder?

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

0
Yoyo

Delphi is much less in vogue than PowerBuilder and is listed
in Top 10. Not believable.

Regards,
SNS

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

0
SNS
3/5/2008 2:51:48 PM
The Next 50 Programming Languages
The following list of languages denotes #51 to #100. Since the differences
are relatively small, the programming languages are only listed (in
alphabetical order).

  a.. ABC, Algol, Alpha, APL, Applescript, AspectJ, Beta, Boo, Caml, cg,
Clean, Csh, cT, Curl, DC, Dylan, Eiffel, Felix, Focus, Fortress, Icon, IDL,
Inform, Io, J#, MAD, Magic, Maple, Mathematica, Modula-2, MOO, MUMPS,
Oberon, Occam, Oz, PILOT, Postscript, Powerbuilder, PowerShell, Progress, Q,
REALbasic, Rebol, S-lang, Scala, SIGNAL, SPSS, Verilog, VHDL, XSLT
"Yoyo Young" <young@public1.wx.js.cn> wrote in message
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

0
Jerry
3/5/2008 3:17:33 PM
Don't forget to look at what it's measuring:

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/tpci_definition.htm

If you search my outbox, by this definition, PB is pretty much off the
radar, simply because I don't use the phrase "PowerBuilder programming."
Is it an accurate reflection of anything other than how often I use the
phrase "PowerBuilder programming?" For me, no. In fact, if you search
*just PowerBuilder forums* for that phrase since the beginning of the
year, the only times it's mentioned (7 times, according to Google
Groups) is in job ads. It's just a phrase this community doesn't use,
and as a result, it doesn't register on Tiobe.

Good luck,

--
*********************************
Build your vocabulary and feed the hungry

PB Futures updated Feb 22/2008
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
3/5/2008 6:46:41 PM
Let's see - where did I put that link about Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics?

"Terry Voth [TeamSybase]" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
> Don't forget to look at what it's measuring:
>
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/tpci_definition.htm
>
> If you search my outbox, by this definition, PB is pretty much off the
> radar, simply because I don't use the phrase "PowerBuilder programming."
> Is it an accurate reflection of anything other than how often I use the
> phrase "PowerBuilder programming?" For me, no. In fact, if you search
> *just PowerBuilder forums* for that phrase since the beginning of the
> year, the only times it's mentioned (7 times, according to Google Groups)
> is in job ads. It's just a phrase this community doesn't use, and as a
> result, it doesn't register on Tiobe.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> Yoyo Young wrote:
>> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>

> --
> *********************************
> Build your vocabulary and feed the hungry
> http://www.freerice.com
> *********************************
> Newsgroup User Manual
> =====================
> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
> Forums = Peer-to-peer
> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
> *********************************
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 4.0.3 now available at the Sandbox
> PB Futures updated Feb 22/2008
> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
Jerry
3/5/2008 7:31:24 PM
They might be willing to modify the search criteria if asked.

> Don't forget to look at what it's measuring:
>
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/tpci_definition.htm
>
> If you search my outbox, by this definition, PB is pretty much off the
> radar, simply because I don't use the phrase "PowerBuilder programming."
> Is it an accurate reflection of anything other than how often I use the
> phrase "PowerBuilder programming?" For me, no. In fact, if you search
> *just PowerBuilder forums* for that phrase since the beginning of the
> year, the only times it's mentioned (7 times, according to Google Groups)
> is in job ads. It's just a phrase this community doesn't use, and as a
> result, it doesn't register on Tiobe.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> Yoyo Young wrote:
>> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>

> --
> *********************************
> Build your vocabulary and feed the hungry
> http://www.freerice.com
> *********************************
> Newsgroup User Manual
> =====================
> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
> Forums = Peer-to-peer
> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
> *********************************
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 4.0.3 now available at the Sandbox
> PB Futures updated Feb 22/2008
> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
Roland
3/5/2008 9:01:00 PM
If you don't like that measurement, the page below includes a few
different surveys that use different measurements.  The lists are not
all that different (although two of the surveys include Ajax - it's more
than a little strange to call that a language).

http://www.devtopics.com/most-popular-programming-languages/

0
Mark
3/5/2008 9:37:09 PM
Yoyo Young wrote:
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

The strange phenomenon to me anyway is Ruby ?

Is there a specific use for it that I am missing,  or is it just another
scripting language ala javascript/vbscript/perl.
Ruby On Rails (http://www.rubyonrails.com/) has been the cat's pajamas
for a year or two now with all the Web 2.0 set.  37 Signals and David
Heinemeier Hansson (DHH) have been the big ones developing and
promoting it: http://www.37signals.com/

Basically a framework for database driven web development that
preaches Convention over Configuration so that it can do lots of work
for you behind the scenes based on the assumption of certain naming
and coding conventions.  Neat stuff, but as usual not a silver bullet
for every problem.

Doug Porter
DailyAccess Corporation

"J It" <ignore@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Yoyo Young wrote:
>> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>
> The strange phenomenon to me anyway is Ruby ?
>
> Is there a specific use for it that I am missing,  or is it just
> another scripting language ala javascript/vbscript/perl.

0
Doug
3/6/2008 4:12:17 PM
Another characteristic of Ruby that I use on occasion is that of it's success with little to no marketing. For folks in PB who think marketing is the problem, Ruby had very little and really took off based on what you can do with it. The language and tool have sold themselves.

But not to me yet :)

Troy

Doug Porter wrote:
> Ruby On Rails (http://www.rubyonrails.com/) has been the cat's pajamas
> for a year or two now with all the Web 2.0 set.  37 Signals and David
> Heinemeier Hansson (DHH) have been the big ones developing and
> promoting it: http://www.37signals.com/
>
> Basically a framework for database driven web development that
> preaches Convention over Configuration so that it can do lots of work
> for you behind the scenes based on the assumption of certain naming
> and coding conventions.  Neat stuff, but as usual not a silver bullet
> for every problem.
>
> Doug Porter
> DailyAccess Corporation
>
> "J It" <ignore@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Yoyo Young wrote:
>>> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>> The strange phenomenon to me anyway is Ruby ?
>>
>> Is there a specific use for it that I am missing,  or is it just
>> another scripting language ala javascript/vbscript/perl.

0
Troy
3/6/2008 5:31:16 PM
True, Ruby On Rails is what catapulted it forward to the mainstream.
Ruby was about 10 years old when RoR came out and caused it to finally
get some traction.  It has also caused Python to get dragged along
with it nicely too into the mainstream eye.

Doug Porter
DailyAccess Corporation

"Troy" <troy-no-spam@onesplace.com> wrote in message
> Another characteristic of Ruby that I use on occasion is that of
> it's success with little to no marketing. For folks in PB who think
> marketing is the problem, Ruby had very little and really took off
> based on what you can do with it. The language and tool have sold
> themselves.
>
> But not to me yet :)
>
> Troy
>
> Doug Porter wrote:
>> Ruby On Rails (http://www.rubyonrails.com/) has been the cat's
>> pajamas for a year or two now with all the Web 2.0 set.  37 Signals
>> and David Heinemeier Hansson (DHH) have been the big ones
>> developing and promoting it: http://www.37signals.com/
>>
>> Basically a framework for database driven web development that
>> preaches Convention over Configuration so that it can do lots of
>> work for you behind the scenes based on the assumption of certain
>> naming and coding conventions.  Neat stuff, but as usual not a
>> silver bullet for every problem.
>>
>> Doug Porter
>> DailyAccess Corporation
>>
>> "J It" <ignore@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> The strange phenomenon to me anyway is Ruby ?
>>>
>>> Is there a specific use for it that I am missing,  or is it just
>>> another scripting language ala javascript/vbscript/perl.

0
Doug
3/6/2008 7:38:07 PM
I always that Ruby on Rails sounded like an aging stripper with a coke
problem...
"Doug Porter" <doug_porterATdailyaccessDOTnospamDOTcom> wrote in message
> True, Ruby On Rails is what catapulted it forward to the mainstream. Ruby
> was about 10 years old when RoR came out and caused it to finally get some
> traction.  It has also caused Python to get dragged along with it nicely
> too into the mainstream eye.
>
> Doug Porter
> DailyAccess Corporation
>

> "Troy" <troy-no-spam@onesplace.com> wrote in message
>> Another characteristic of Ruby that I use on occasion is that of it's
>> success with little to no marketing. For folks in PB who think marketing
>> is the problem, Ruby had very little and really took off based on what
>> you can do with it. The language and tool have sold themselves.
>>
>> But not to me yet :)
>>
>> Troy
>>
>> Doug Porter wrote:
>>> Ruby On Rails (http://www.rubyonrails.com/) has been the cat's pajamas
>>> for a year or two now with all the Web 2.0 set.  37 Signals and David
>>> Heinemeier Hansson (DHH) have been the big ones developing and promoting
>>> it: http://www.37signals.com/
>>>
>>> Basically a framework for database driven web development that preaches
>>> Convention over Configuration so that it can do lots of work for you
>>> behind the scenes based on the assumption of certain naming and coding
>>> conventions.  Neat stuff, but as usual not a silver bullet for every
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Doug Porter
>>> DailyAccess Corporation
>>>
>>> "J It" <ignore@nospam.net> wrote in message

0
Richard
3/6/2008 7:45:30 PM
There is a song about it. Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town by Kenny
Rogers.

"Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com> wrote in message
>I always that Ruby on Rails sounded like an aging stripper with a coke
>problem...
> "Doug Porter" <doug_porterATdailyaccessDOTnospamDOTcom> wrote in message
>> True, Ruby On Rails is what catapulted it forward to the mainstream. Ruby
>> was about 10 years old when RoR came out and caused it to finally get
>> some traction.  It has also caused Python to get dragged along with it
>> nicely too into the mainstream eye.
>>
>> Doug Porter
>> DailyAccess Corporation
>>

>> "Troy" <troy-no-spam@onesplace.com> wrote in message
>>> Another characteristic of Ruby that I use on occasion is that of it's
>>> success with little to no marketing. For folks in PB who think marketing
>>> is the problem, Ruby had very little and really took off based on what
>>> you can do with it. The language and tool have sold themselves.
>>>
>>> But not to me yet :)
>>>
>>> Troy

0
Roland
3/6/2008 7:50:56 PM
.... actually written by Mel Tillis.  Based on a true story.  I know... get a
life.

"Roland Smith [TeamSybase]" <rsmith_at_trusthss_dot_com> wrote in message
> There is a song about it. Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town by Kenny
> Rogers.
>
> "Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com> wrote in message
>>I always that Ruby on Rails sounded like an aging stripper with a coke
>>problem...
>> "Doug Porter" <doug_porterATdailyaccessDOTnospamDOTcom> wrote in message
>>> True, Ruby On Rails is what catapulted it forward to the mainstream.
>>> Ruby was about 10 years old when RoR came out and caused it to finally
>>> get some traction.  It has also caused Python to get dragged along with
>>> it nicely too into the mainstream eye.
>>>
>>> Doug Porter
>>> DailyAccess Corporation
>>>

>>> "Troy" <troy-no-spam@onesplace.com> wrote in message

0
Larry

PowerBuilder future
I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following: According to Chen the company had become over-diversified, and lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP consulting business - what for? We had a product that competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to get rid of some bits and pieces." In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have competed with VB is...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks Bala wrote in message <#AImoYME$GA.270@forums.sybase.com>... >Hi, > >Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - >The Future of Powerbuilder? >Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Except you should not believe everything you read. I remember the mutterings after PB 6.5 and currently Sybase is shipping EAS which PB 7.0 forms part of. Again I was at Sybase TechW...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks ComputerWorld!!! What a piece of .... I haven't read the article, but I don't have to. I had a subscription to ComputerWorld once. ComputerWorld was one of the biggest fans of the Apple is dead movement. Guess they were wrong there... The journalism in that magazine is terrible. Over the course of a year subscription, I read most of the articles for about six months. Then I threw it away until the subscription ...

The future of PowerBuilder...
That subject line should get your attention. <g> I'm very pleased with the participation in this group. We've obviously provided a well for a very thirsty group of developers! As you may or may not know, PB 9 is about to go into Beta and the feature set has pretty much been frozen. I know a lot of these requests are for very useful features and hopefully many will some day be incorporated into PB. I don't know what can be done for PB 9 at this point. Just don't want to falsely get people's hopes up. What I would like to do, is raise the discussion to a h...

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

Future of Powerbuilder
Hello Every one!!, Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web dependendent. I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now. could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar techonologies or should i get along with PB?? Please respond to me... Thanks!! Regards, Dhawan. It never hurts to expand your skillset by picking up new languages. PowerBuilder is still going strong, Syb...

POWERBUILDER FUTURE?
i am in Powerbuilder for past 4 Years.....currently i am in india. But my projects are in my last 4 years almost maintenance & migration to advanced techniques...almost zero development and the sad news is ,powerbuilder developers are very less when compared to advance techniques... u know the PB versions are also coming yearly once & introducing new concepts also almost not useful(i discussed with lot of PB developers almost they are not using the advance techniques) so everybody is going slowly out of PB technology... In india last few years Pb usage is re...

The Future of PowerBuilder
Hello! Earlier this year, I came across an article in one of the weekly industry newspapers that stated that Sybase was telling major customers that PowerBuilder will be discontinued after version 8.0. (I can't remember which newspaper had the story and I can't seem locate it by doing a Google search. But I'm not making this up - I really did see it.) At the PowerBuilder Information Site ( www.justpbinfo.com ) I came across the following article: ------------------------------------------------ The Future of PowerBuilder Is there life after PowerBuilder 8? Rum...

The future of Powerbuilder
I am looking for opinions and viewpoints. I think Powerbuilder has 2 distinct and quite different markets. The small to medium sized software market and corporate IT market. In the software market where results are easy to measure on the bottom line I think PB is doing just fine. The productivity, efficiency and swift development process suites that market just fine. Just keep your customers happy. I am amazed at what I have seen in PB based software packages considering the total lack of documentation. That speaks volume on the capabilities of PB if you just get into it. O...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

Powerbuilder
long ll_rc dw_1.SETTRANSOBJECT(SQLCA) dw_1.retrieve() g_ole_crx_application = create oleobject g_ole_crx_report = create oleObject g_ole_crx_connection_info = create oleObject Resultset lrs_resultset ADOResultset lrs_adoresultset oleobject loo_AdoRecordset DataStore lds_temp lds_temp =create Datastore lds_temp.Dataobject="dw_print" lds_temp.settransobject(sqlca) lds_temp.retrieve() lrs_resultset=create resultset ll_rc=lds_temp.generateresultset(lrs_resultset) lrs_adoresultset = create adoresultset ll_rc = lrs_adoresultset.SetResultset(lrs_resultset) loo_AdoRecords...

Powerbuilder
I am a new PB 6 developer. I want to create setup for my application exe. How do I do it using Installshield free. I have to copy sqlanywhere database to clients PC through the setup.I connect the DB through ODBC.Can anyone pl guide me. thanks. Shaikh moin If you are using ASA 6 then look in the Help... ASA User's Guide PART 4. Database Administration and Advanced Use CHAPTER 27. Deploying Databases and Applications Using a silent installation for deployment If you are using SQL Anywhere 5 try looking here... SQL Anywhere User's Guide ...

PowerBuilder 9.0 and PowerBuilder 10.0

Web resources about - Where is Powerbuilder? - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles