The future of Datawindow .Net

Hi all,

What does the future hold for Datawindow .Net ? Will it be
abandoned ?  Will a CLR compliant version be released soon ?

I ask because it's been a long while since we've heard
anything
substantial concerning Dw.Net and I'm presently looking into
64bit support for my Dot.Net apps that all use Dw.net and
presently it's the only technology that is preventing me to
go full 64bit.

We are presently using version 2.0 but are waiting anxiously
for some news concerning Dw.Net.

Regards,

Robert
0
Robert

Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath on this one!
I've never seen the point of DW.NET - there are far better
VS controls around which are updated and enhanced more
frequently and come with the source code so you can do what
you like with them. Head on over to Developer Express. I'm
sure they can help you out.

> Hi all,
>
> What does the future hold for Datawindow .Net ? Will it be
> abandoned ?  Will a CLR compliant version be released soon
> ?
>
> I ask because it's been a long while since we've heard
> anything
> substantial concerning Dw.Net and I'm presently looking
> into 64bit support for my Dot.Net apps that all use Dw.net
> and presently it's the only technology that is preventing
> me to go full 64bit.
>
> We are presently using version 2.0 but are waiting
> anxiously for some news concerning Dw.Net.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert
0
Big
9/8/2010 8:43:44 AM
I asked this a while ago whilst contemplating moving my team to Visual
Studio. Datawindow.Net is ummm.... "deprecated". If you want to use that
great technology in future you'll have to use PowerBuilder. Draw your
own conclusions.

Uh oh, I feel a war of drivel filled posts coming on.........

On 8/09/2010 12:01 AM, Robert Bastien wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What does the future hold for Datawindow .Net ? Will it be
> abandoned ?  Will a CLR compliant version be released soon ?
>
> I ask because it's been a long while since we've heard
> anything
> substantial concerning Dw.Net and I'm presently looking into
> 64bit support for my Dot.Net apps that all use Dw.net and
> presently it's the only technology that is preventing me to
> go full 64bit.
>
> We are presently using version 2.0 but are waiting anxiously
> for some news concerning Dw.Net.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert

0
Paul
9/8/2010 1:09:20 PM
DataWindow .NET will be replaced with PowerBuilder .NET 12.5 which
will give you the ability to deploy custom visual user objects as .NET
assemblies that can be used in .NET applications developed in other
..NET languages.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase

PowerBuilder Blog:
http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/

On 7 Sep 2010 07:01:48 -0700, Robert Bastien wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>What does the future hold for Datawindow .Net ? Will it be
>abandoned ?  Will a CLR compliant version be released soon ?
>
>I ask because it's been a long while since we've heard
>anything
>substantial concerning Dw.Net and I'm presently looking into
>64bit support for my Dot.Net apps that all use Dw.net and
>presently it's the only technology that is preventing me to
>go full 64bit.
>
>We are presently using version 2.0 but are waiting anxiously
>for some news concerning Dw.Net.
>
>Regards,
>
>Robert
0
Dave
9/8/2010 3:34:30 PM
Isn't that a bit of a leap, from a few hundred dollar component to a full
fledged few thousand dollar development tool?  Who's going to do that?  Or
am I missing something here?

Terry Dykstra

"Dave Fish [Sybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> DataWindow .NET will be replaced with PowerBuilder .NET 12.5 which
> will give you the ability to deploy custom visual user objects as .NET
> assemblies that can be used in .NET applications developed in other
> .NET languages.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase
>
> PowerBuilder Blog:
> http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/
>
> On 7 Sep 2010 07:01:48 -0700, Robert Bastien wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>What does the future hold for Datawindow .Net ? Will it be
>>abandoned ?  Will a CLR compliant version be released soon ?
>>
>>I ask because it's been a long while since we've heard
>>anything
>>substantial concerning Dw.Net and I'm presently looking into
>>64bit support for my Dot.Net apps that all use Dw.net and
>>presently it's the only technology that is preventing me to
>>go full 64bit.
>>
>>We are presently using version 2.0 but are waiting anxiously
>>for some news concerning Dw.Net.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Robert

0
Terry
9/8/2010 4:16:15 PM
The vast majority of DataWindow .NET customers also use PowerBuilder.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase

PowerBuilder Blog:
http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/

On 8 Sep 2010 09:16:15 -0700, "Terry Dykstra [TeamSybase]"
<tddykstra@forestoil.ca> wrote:

>Isn't that a bit of a leap, from a few hundred dollar component to a full
>fledged few thousand dollar development tool?  Who's going to do that?  Or
>am I missing something here?
>
>Terry Dykstra
>

>"Dave Fish [Sybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> DataWindow .NET will be replaced with PowerBuilder .NET 12.5 which
>> will give you the ability to deploy custom visual user objects as .NET
>> assemblies that can be used in .NET applications developed in other
>> .NET languages.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave Fish
>> Sybase
>>
>> PowerBuilder Blog:
>> http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/
>>
>> On 7 Sep 2010 07:01:48 -0700, Robert Bastien wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>What does the future hold for Datawindow .Net ? Will it be
>>>abandoned ?  Will a CLR compliant version be released soon ?
>>>
>>>I ask because it's been a long while since we've heard
>>>anything
>>>substantial concerning Dw.Net and I'm presently looking into
>>>64bit support for my Dot.Net apps that all use Dw.net and
>>>presently it's the only technology that is preventing me to
>>>go full 64bit.
>>>
>>>We are presently using version 2.0 but are waiting anxiously
>>>for some news concerning Dw.Net.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Robert
0
Dave
9/8/2010 4:56:10 PM
What about the transaction object and how would that work if I wanted to use
more than one DW on the same window? Will these PB visual assemblies be able
to use the same database connection as the C# part of the application? It
would seem to be a poor design if the main app and each of the datawindows
had it's own connection to the database.

> The vast majority of DataWindow .NET customers also use PowerBuilder.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase
>
> PowerBuilder Blog:
> http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/
>
> On 8 Sep 2010 09:16:15 -0700, "Terry Dykstra [TeamSybase]"
> <tddykstra@forestoil.ca> wrote:
>
>>Isn't that a bit of a leap, from a few hundred dollar component to a full
>>fledged few thousand dollar development tool?  Who's going to do that?  Or
>>am I missing something here?
>>
>>Terry Dykstra
>>

>>"Dave Fish [Sybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
>>> DataWindow .NET will be replaced with PowerBuilder .NET 12.5 which
>>> will give you the ability to deploy custom visual user objects as .NET
>>> assemblies that can be used in .NET applications developed in other
>>> .NET languages.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave Fish
>>> Sybase
>>>
>>> PowerBuilder Blog:
>>> http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/

0
Roland
9/8/2010 7:37:26 PM
Let's face the truth. EOL of Datawindow.NET.

"Roland Smith [TeamSybase]" <rsmith_at_trusthss_dot_com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4c87e5f6$1@forums-1-dub...
> What about the transaction object and how would that work if I wanted to use more than one DW on the same window? Will these PB
> visual assemblies be able to use the same database connection as the C# part of the application? It would seem to be a poor design
> if the main app and each of the datawindows had it's own connection to the database.
>
> "Dave Fish [Sybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message news:bvff86h1mns0beal0nngo1ikr6ir2kaaf2@4ax.com...
>> The vast majority of DataWindow .NET customers also use PowerBuilder.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave Fish
>> Sybase
>>
>> PowerBuilder Blog:
>> http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/
>>
>> On 8 Sep 2010 09:16:15 -0700, "Terry Dykstra [TeamSybase]"
>> <tddykstra@forestoil.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>Isn't that a bit of a leap, from a few hundred dollar component to a full
>>>fledged few thousand dollar development tool?  Who's going to do that?  Or
>>>am I missing something here?
>>>
>>>Terry Dykstra
>>>

>>>"Dave Fish [Sybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message

0
Arnd
9/9/2010 10:11:28 AM
I have never used it myself, I was just wondering.

"Arnd Schmidt" <arnd.schmidt@no-spam-at-work.org> wrote in message
> Let's face the truth. EOL of Datawindow.NET.
>
> "Roland Smith [TeamSybase]" <rsmith_at_trusthss_dot_com> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:4c87e5f6$1@forums-1-dub...
>> What about the transaction object and how would that work if I wanted to
>> use more than one DW on the same window? Will these PB visual assemblies
>> be able to use the same database connection as the C# part of the
>> application? It would seem to be a poor design if the main app and each
>> of the datawindows had it's own connection to the database.
>>
>> "Dave Fish [Sybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
>>> The vast majority of DataWindow .NET customers also use PowerBuilder.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave Fish
>>> Sybase
>>>
>>> PowerBuilder Blog:
>>> http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/

0
Roland
9/9/2010 12:08:51 PM
Yes that is a feature being added to PowerBuilder 12.5, the sharing of
connections between the DataWindow and the C# code.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase

PowerBuilder Blog:
http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/

On 8 Sep 2010 12:37:26 -0700, "Roland Smith [TeamSybase]"
<rsmith_at_trusthss_dot_com> wrote:

>What about the transaction object and how would that work if I wanted to use
>more than one DW on the same window? Will these PB visual assemblies be able
>to use the same database connection as the C# part of the application? It
>would seem to be a poor design if the main app and each of the datawindows
>had it's own connection to the database.
>
>"Dave Fish [Sybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> The vast majority of DataWindow .NET customers also use PowerBuilder.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave Fish
>> Sybase
>>
>> PowerBuilder Blog:
>> http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/
>>
>> On 8 Sep 2010 09:16:15 -0700, "Terry Dykstra [TeamSybase]"
>> <tddykstra@forestoil.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>Isn't that a bit of a leap, from a few hundred dollar component to a full
>>>fledged few thousand dollar development tool?  Who's going to do that?  Or
>>>am I missing something here?
>>>
>>>Terry Dykstra
>>>

>>>"Dave Fish [Sybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message

0
Dave
9/9/2010 5:02:06 PM
Hi Dave,

Not quite. We barely maintain our PB apps due to the lack of
qualified developpers here. PB never had the same popularity
here in Quebec (Canada) has it has had elsewhere so we have
a shortage of qualified developpers. I guess it's a language
thing... Sybase never thought of a francophone marketing
strategy for Quebec.

That is why 3 years ago we started converting our PB apps to
VB.Net with the use of DW.Net to facilitate the conversion
process. This helped us to conserve all the Datawindow
Objects we had created in our PB apps. It did save us a lot
of time in the conversion effort but now I'm starting to
regret.

So I guess Sybase will abandon all the Datawindow .Net
users.

Regards,

Robert

> The vast majority of DataWindow .NET customers also use
> PowerBuilder.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase
>
> PowerBuilder Blog:
> http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/
>
> On 8 Sep 2010 09:16:15 -0700, "Terry Dykstra [TeamSybase]"
> <tddykstra@forestoil.ca> wrote:
>
> >Isn't that a bit of a leap, from a few hundred dollar
> component to a full  >fledged few thousand dollar
> development tool?  Who's going to do that?  Or  >am I
> missing something here? >
> >Terry Dykstra
> >

> >"Dave Fish [Sybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in
> message
> >news:c5bf86tuodffhkq2dhc0lvn0nb5dofj3jj@4ax.com... >>
> DataWindow .NET will be replaced with PowerBuilder .NET
> 12.5 which >> will give you the ability to deploy custom
> visual user objects as .NET >> assemblies that can be used
> in .NET applications developed in other >> .NET languages.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Dave Fish
> >> Sybase
> >>
> >> PowerBuilder Blog:
> >> http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/

> be >>>abandoned ?  Will a CLR compliant version be
> released soon ? >>>
> into >>>64bit support for my Dot.Net apps that all use
> Dw.net and >>>presently it's the only technology that is
> preventing me to >>>go full 64bit.

> anxiously >>>for some news concerning Dw.Net.

0
Robert
10/14/2010 6:44:41 PM
Thanks for your feedback Robert. I'll be sure to pass it along to our
product management team.

I will say that the process of creating and using DataWindows in other
..NET applications won't be much different than it is in DataWindow
..NET.

You'll be able to use PowerBuilder .NET, or Infomaker .NET (something
planned for the 12.5 timeframe) to create and maintain your
DataWindows. All you'll need to do is create a .NET assembly from a
new target in PowerBuilder .NET that lets you deploy PowerBuilder
custom visual user objects (CVUOs) in .NET assemblies.

These assemblies will be added as references in your C# or Visual
Basic .NET application and then the controls can be dropped on your
forms.

I realize that there is a cost differential between PowerBuilder and
DataWindow .NET. We'll be working to address that issue as well.

On 14 Oct 2010 11:44:41 -0700, Robert Bastien wrote:

>Hi Dave,
>
>Not quite. We barely maintain our PB apps due to the lack of
>qualified developpers here. PB never had the same popularity
>here in Quebec (Canada) has it has had elsewhere so we have
>a shortage of qualified developpers. I guess it's a language
>thing... Sybase never thought of a francophone marketing
>strategy for Quebec.
>
>That is why 3 years ago we started converting our PB apps to
>VB.Net with the use of DW.Net to facilitate the conversion
>process. This helped us to conserve all the Datawindow
>Objects we had created in our PB apps. It did save us a lot
>of time in the conversion effort but now I'm starting to
>regret.
>
>So I guess Sybase will abandon all the Datawindow .Net
>users.
>
>Regards,
>
>Robert
>
>> The vast majority of DataWindow .NET customers also use
>> PowerBuilder.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave Fish
>> Sybase
>>
>> PowerBuilder Blog:
>> http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/
>>
>> On 8 Sep 2010 09:16:15 -0700, "Terry Dykstra [TeamSybase]"
>> <tddykstra@forestoil.ca> wrote:
>>
>> >Isn't that a bit of a leap, from a few hundred dollar
>> component to a full  >fledged few thousand dollar
>> development tool?  Who's going to do that?  Or  >am I
>> missing something here? >
>> >Terry Dykstra
>> >

>> >"Dave Fish [Sybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >news:c5bf86tuodffhkq2dhc0lvn0nb5dofj3jj@4ax.com... >>
>> DataWindow .NET will be replaced with PowerBuilder .NET
>> 12.5 which >> will give you the ability to deploy custom
>> visual user objects as .NET >> assemblies that can be used
>> in .NET applications developed in other >> .NET languages.

>> be >>>abandoned ?  Will a CLR compliant version be
>> released soon ? >>>
>> into >>>64bit support for my Dot.Net apps that all use
>> Dw.net and >>>presently it's the only technology that is
>> preventing me to >>>go full 64bit.

>> anxiously >>>for some news concerning Dw.Net.

0
Dave
10/14/2010 8:11:42 PM
Hi Dave,

That would mean that we would have to convert code back to
PB.Net from VB.Net to be able to continue to use the
datawindow control. This is a complicated proposition that
my client would not be willing to pay for. And adding
another programming technology in the mix will only
complicate our apps and the deployment of these.

In the case of the company I work for, the enterprise
architects have decided to phase out Powerbuilder because of
the lack of qualified ressources. When PB apps are due for
major overhaul the directive has been to convert to VB.Net.

In our case we used Datawindow.Net to limit the cost of this
conversion for my client. Now I have to look into converting
my UI's to another technology. Not a pleasant endeavor.

Regards.

> [...]
> >>
> >> PowerBuilder Blog:
> >> http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/

> >> component to a full  >fledged few thousand dollar
> >> development tool?  Who's going to do that?  Or  >am I
> >> missing something here? >

> in >> message
> >> DataWindow .NET will be replaced with PowerBuilder .NET
> >> 12.5 which >> will give you the ability to deploy
> custom >> visual user objects as .NET >> assemblies that
> can be used >> in .NET applications developed in other >>
> NET languages. >> >>

> it >> be >>>abandoned ?  Will a CLR compliant version be
> >> released soon ? >>>
> heard >> >>>anything
> looking >> into >>>64bit support for my Dot.Net apps that
> all use >> Dw.net and >>>presently it's the only
> technology that is >> preventing me to >>>go full 64bit.

> >> anxiously >>>for some news concerning Dw.Net.

0
Robert
10/15/2010 11:42:41 AM
Hi Robert,

You wouldn't have to convert any code from VB .NET. You would use VB
..NET to instantiate the PowerBuilder .NET class and then call
functions on it. I'll see if I can put a code example together. The
feature is still in development but is 90% coded so what I'll show you
should be pretty close to how it will work in GA.

On 15 Oct 2010 04:42:41 -0700, Robert Bastien wrote:

> [...]
>> to >VB.Net with the use of DW.Net to facilitate the
>> conversion >process. This helped us to conserve all the
>> Datawindow >Objects we had created in our PB apps. It did
>> save us a lot >of time in the conversion effort but now
>> I'm starting to >regret.
>> >
>> >So I guess Sybase will abandon all the Datawindow .Net
>> >users.
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >
>> >Robert

>> in >> message
>> custom >> visual user objects as .NET >> assemblies that
>> can be used >> in .NET applications developed in other >>
>> NET languages. >> >>

>> it >> be >>>abandoned ?  Will a CLR compliant version be
>> heard >> >>>anything
>> looking >> into >>>64bit support for my Dot.Net apps that
>> all use >> Dw.net and >>>presently it's the only
>> technology that is >> preventing me to >>>go full 64bit.

0
Dave
10/15/2010 3:35:22 PM
Hi Dave,

Interesting concept but I would need to have a Powerbuilder
licence as well as a Visual Studio licence for each
developper. Datawindow .Net costs around $ 900 but
Powerbuilder is 3 to 4 times that. Unless PB.Net can be sold
separately and the price goes down this is a show stopper
for me.

> [...]
> but now >> I'm starting to >regret.

> use >> >> PowerBuilder.

> dollar >> >> component to a full  >fledged few thousand
> dollar >> >> development tool?  Who's going to do that?
> Or  >am I >> >> missing something here? >

> wrote >> in >> message
> PowerBuilder .NET >> >> 12.5 which >> will give you the
> ability to deploy >> custom >> visual user objects as .NET
> >> assemblies that >> can be used >> in .NET applications
> developed in other >> >> NET languages. >> >>

> Will >> it >> be >>>abandoned ?  Will a CLR compliant
> version be >> >> released soon ? >>>
> >> heard >> >>>anything
> >> looking >> into >>>64bit support for my Dot.Net apps
> that >> all use >> Dw.net and >>>presently it's the only
> >> technology that is >> preventing me to >>>go full
> 64bit. >> >> >>>
> waiting >> >> anxiously >>>for some news concerning

0
Robert
10/15/2010 6:35:24 PM
Hi Robert;

  We have the same problem here in Ottawa. PB experienced developers are
getting harder to find, no PB education courses anymore in the local college
or universities (there used to be), Sybase Canada dropped local courses, PB
distributor & education partner was forced out by Sybase, etc. So its not a
francophone thing IMHO - but a complete degradation of the PB ecosystem.

  Add to that the lack of decent web development features, no support for
..NET 4.0 yet, no built-in interfaces to SharePoint, SAP, etc and you get a
strong movement towards VS by IT management because they feel that PB is a
sunset technology. Once you have that mentality at work - its almost
impossible to reverse.

  I think (personally) that Sybase is basically sun setting PocketBuilder,
EAServer and DW.Net as I see no new development on these products for a
while now - nor, any roadmap for their future. I suspect that InfoMaker will
also succumb to this trend as well - although I have heard a rumour that a
WPF version might be coming - however, I personally no value in that (like
PB 12.net) as the demand is in our area is 90% plus towards full web enabled
applications.

Regards ... Chris
President: OSUG / STD Inc.
Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
PBDJ: http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com

"Robert Bastien" wrote in message
> Hi Dave,
>
> Not quite. We barely maintain our PB apps due to the lack of
> qualified developpers here. PB never had the same popularity
> here in Quebec (Canada) has it has had elsewhere so we have
> a shortage of qualified developpers. I guess it's a language
> thing... Sybase never thought of a francophone marketing
> strategy for Quebec.
>
> That is why 3 years ago we started converting our PB apps to
> VB.Net with the use of DW.Net to facilitate the conversion
> process. This helped us to conserve all the Datawindow
> Objects we had created in our PB apps. It did save us a lot
> of time in the conversion effort but now I'm starting to
> regret.
>
> So I guess Sybase will abandon all the Datawindow .Net
> users.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert
>
>> The vast majority of DataWindow .NET customers also use
>> PowerBuilder.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave Fish
>> Sybase
>>
>> PowerBuilder Blog:
>> http://blogs.sybase.com/powerbuilder/
>>
>> On 8 Sep 2010 09:16:15 -0700, "Terry Dykstra [TeamSybase]"
>> <tddykstra@forestoil.ca> wrote:
>>
>> >Isn't that a bit of a leap, from a few hundred dollar
>> component to a full  >fledged few thousand dollar
>> development tool?  Who's going to do that?  Or  >am I
>> missing something here? >
>> >Terry Dykstra
>> >

>> >"Dave Fish [Sybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >news:c5bf86tuodffhkq2dhc0lvn0nb5dofj3jj@4ax.com... >>
>> DataWindow .NET will be replaced with PowerBuilder .NET
>> 12.5 which >> will give you the ability to deploy custom
>> visual user objects as .NET >> assemblies that can be used
>> in .NET applications developed in other >> .NET languages.

>> be >>>abandoned ?  Will a CLR compliant version be
>> released soon ? >>>
>> into >>>64bit support for my Dot.Net apps that all use
>> Dw.net and >>>presently it's the only technology that is
>> preventing me to >>>go full 64bit.

>> anxiously >>>for some news concerning Dw.Net.

0
Chris
10/16/2010 12:56:49 AM
Hi Robert;

    Unfortunately, Sybase decided to drop all other versions except
"Enterprise" for PB version 12.x. So where we had great options for
students, consultants, small IT shops, small project teams, etc - Sybase has
now pushed everyone into the top dollar category (I am sad to say).

> [...]
>> the >> conversion >process. This helped us to conserve all
>> the >> Datawindow >Objects we had created in our PB apps.
>> It did >> save us a lot >of time in the conversion effort
>> but now >> I'm starting to >regret.

>> use >> >> PowerBuilder.

>> dollar >> >> component to a full  >fledged few thousand
>> dollar >> >> development tool?  Who's going to do that?
>> Or  >am I >> >> missing something here? >

>> wrote >> in >> message
>> PowerBuilder .NET >> >> 12.5 which >> will give you the
>> ability to deploy >> custom >> visual user objects as .NET
>> developed in other >> >> NET languages. >> >>

>> Will >> it >> be >>>abandoned ?  Will a CLR compliant
>> version be >> >> released soon ? >>>
>> that >> all use >> Dw.net and >>>presently it's the only
>> 64bit. >> >> >>>
>> waiting >> >> anxiously >>>for some news concerning

0
Chris

What are the ASP.NET Futures?
What are the ASP.NET Futures? - Tips for using the "ASP.NET Futures" forum   The ASP.NET Futures represents a specific set of preview bits that you can download at: http://www.asp.net/downloads/futures/ The code and controls included in the ASP.NET Futures download represent experimental versions of features that are being considered for a future version of ASP.NET and the .NET Framework. Before starting a new thread in this ASP.NET Futures forum, "please make sure your question is related to the Futures controls that you have downloaded." Also, since these F...

Datawindow.NET futures and feedback
Let me just caveat this entire post: I REALIZE THAT THIS IS BLEEDING EDGE. A LOT WILL CHANGE. I DO NOT WISH TO START A FLAME WAR. SYBASE ONLY EMPLOYS MAGNIFICENT CREATURES OF INSIGHT (that just needed to be said... I have wanted to compliment them for some time). Okay, so, I don't want to download a trial of the VS.NET IDE for use with a trial of Datawindows.NET. So, I got to looking around. I attempted an open-source C# editor, but there was a critical bug. So, I installed the M$ C# Express beta, which uses .NET framework v2 beta. I then noted that datawindows.NET w...

Are Futures the future of DOMRequest?
Hi, There is a draft for futures (promise-like mechanism) [1] which hopefully would replace DOMRequest. One question is whether they could replace it. FirefoxOS and Gaia in particular make heavy use of current APIs which define DOMRequest objects or equivalent (SMSRequest, FileRequest...). If Futures can repace DOMRequest, that's awesome. If they cannot, one idea is to make DOMRequest inherit from DOMFuture. Thoughts? David [1] https://github.com/slightlyoff/DOMFuture ...

Why Powerbuilder's future is .Net
Does Sybase think traditional PB need not to improve any more? ////////////////////////////////////// string ls_me ls_me = 'an honest PB customer' Choose case PBversion case < 'PB11' messagebox('Oh','I am be fed up with the ugly UI and I need B/S development') case 'PB11' #IF Defined PBNATIVE Then messagebox('God','any difference with PB6?') #Elseif Defined PBWEBFORM Then messagebox('Good','it is abstractive but performance need optimize') #Elseif Defined PBWINFORM Then ...

The Future of PowerBuilder
Hello! Earlier this year, I came across an article in one of the weekly industry newspapers that stated that Sybase was telling major customers that PowerBuilder will be discontinued after version 8.0. (I can't remember which newspaper had the story and I can't seem locate it by doing a Google search. But I'm not making this up - I really did see it.) At the PowerBuilder Information Site ( www.justpbinfo.com ) I came across the following article: ------------------------------------------------ The Future of PowerBuilder Is there life after PowerBuilder 8? Rum...

The future of Powerbuilder
I am looking for opinions and viewpoints. I think Powerbuilder has 2 distinct and quite different markets. The small to medium sized software market and corporate IT market. In the software market where results are easy to measure on the bottom line I think PB is doing just fine. The productivity, efficiency and swift development process suites that market just fine. Just keep your customers happy. I am amazed at what I have seen in PB based software packages considering the total lack of documentation. That speaks volume on the capabilities of PB if you just get into it. O...

Datawindow Future ??
Hello everyone, There seems to be a plethora of information regarding the upcoming PB 12. But what about Datawindow? Is it going to improve? Are we going to have functionality and looks similar to DevXpress, Xceed, Infragistics etc. in the near future? You only need one look at their implementations to get excited and jealous with their "Grid" controls. You've looked at the stuff on the WPF DataWindow? On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 02:41:11 -0700 (PDT), ChrissDeGrece <chriss_degrece@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hello everyone, > >There seems to be a plethora...

The future of PowerBuilder...
That subject line should get your attention. <g> I'm very pleased with the participation in this group. We've obviously provided a well for a very thirsty group of developers! As you may or may not know, PB 9 is about to go into Beta and the feature set has pretty much been frozen. I know a lot of these requests are for very useful features and hopefully many will some day be incorporated into PB. I don't know what can be done for PB 9 at this point. Just don't want to falsely get people's hopes up. What I would like to do, is raise the discussion to a h...

Future of .NET
Dear friends, I am interested in knowing the software industry, especially about what kind of career challenges a .NET developer will be facing in next 5 years.Mark as answer if this post helps you, So that it will be helpful to others.----------------------------------------------Cheers,dp  Hi dp...No one can forsee with great accuracy how things will be 5 years from now .However I have good confidence in the direction in Microsoft is heading. Lot of new things coming out.. Will definitely keep us developers on their toes if we want to be on the leading edge.Jeev~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks ComputerWorld!!! What a piece of .... I haven't read the article, but I don't have to. I had a subscription to ComputerWorld once. ComputerWorld was one of the biggest fans of the Apple is dead movement. Guess they were wrong there... The journalism in that magazine is terrible. Over the course of a year subscription, I read most of the articles for about six months. Then I threw it away until the subscription ...

The future of Indy or what are your plans for the future?
Sorry if a topic in the wrong section, but very interesting: what are the plans for the development of Indy (if any)? Are there any plans to create a bug-trekker? And from a personal question: Do you plan to implement support for SSH? I'll add the following question : will the SuperCore package (fibers, IOCP, etc.) be revived ? That was a great project ;) <pavel dobryakov> wrote in message news:125448@forums.codegear.com... > Sorry if a topic in the wrong section, but very interesting: what are the > plans > for the development of Indy (if any)? There are no d...

Should this formum be titled Futures or No Futures?
Should this formum be titled Futures or No Futures? > Should this formum be titled Futures or No Futures? I'd say possible futures if Sybase gets there act together sharply but most likely "slowly stagnating into a lingering death - no future"! Jack D. It depends, will we be disccussing the product, or your future career as a comedian? <g> Distruptive change is hard. Some people don't want to adapt. That's why when Microsoft originally introduced .Net, so many people, including many Microsoft MVPs, lobbied for the continuation of the "c...

POWERBUILDER FUTURE?
i am in Powerbuilder for past 4 Years.....currently i am in india. But my projects are in my last 4 years almost maintenance & migration to advanced techniques...almost zero development and the sad news is ,powerbuilder developers are very less when compared to advance techniques... u know the PB versions are also coming yearly once & introducing new concepts also almost not useful(i discussed with lot of PB developers almost they are not using the advance techniques) so everybody is going slowly out of PB technology... In india last few years Pb usage is re...

PowerBuilder future
I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following: According to Chen the company had become over-diversified, and lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP consulting business - what for? We had a product that competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to get rid of some bits and pieces." In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have competed with VB is...

Web resources about - The future of Datawindow .Net - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo