Printed report formatting

I have been using Crystal Reports a little of late and have noticed some
features that would be eve so useful PB/Infomaker (and would mean I dont
have to use Crystal  which would be nice). They have Report Header and
Report Footer bands (i.e section that appear only on the first and last
pages of a report, and a forced page break. A page break which can go
anywhere or can be based on a formula would be a great bonus. We get a lot
of requests for output from our product with these two features (paper
reports are alive and well)

0
Clive

I've been asking for that for years.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post.

"Clive Collie" <NOSPAM_HERE_clive@clivec.ftech.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have been using Crystal Reports a little of late and have noticed some
> features that would be eve so useful PB/Infomaker (and would mean I dont
> have to use Crystal  which would be nice). They have Report Header and
> Report Footer bands (i.e section that appear only on the first and last
> pages of a report, and a forced page break. A page break which can go
> anywhere or can be based on a formula would be a great bonus. We get a lot
> of requests for output from our product with these two features (paper
> reports are alive and well)

0
Terry
6/25/2002 3:45:29 PM
i can call numerous enhancements PB could "borrow" from crystal reports.

on the other hand: we have encorporated CR heavily in our class, so we dont
realy use DWs anymore for printing purposes. (all new reports are made for
CR)

CR is just much better in this field

Extra advantage for us is that the reports can be developed by other
personel (service dept.)

DW's can only be developed by the our dev.dept.

my 2p

Grtz

harry

"Clive Collie" <NOSPAM_HERE_clive@clivec.ftech.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> I have been using Crystal Reports a little of late and have noticed some
> features that would be eve so useful PB/Infomaker (and would mean I dont
> have to use Crystal  which would be nice). They have Report Header and
> Report Footer bands (i.e section that appear only on the first and last
> pages of a report, and a forced page break. A page break which can go
> anywhere or can be based on a formula would be a great bonus. We get a lot
> of requests for output from our product with these two features (paper
> reports are alive and well)

0
Harry
6/27/2002 1:46:04 PM
Yes, if the datawindow supported more advanced reporting like crystal etc.
then a lot more people would not use crystal and would use PB to do the
reporting.

Infomaker can be used by your *other* personnel to develop DWs, but again
since the datawindow doesn't support all that crystal can do you probably
would use Crystal regardless.

Really is too bad since if infomaker/datawindows supported a lot more of the
Crystal type functionality then Sybase could really go after the reporting
'aftermarket' with Infomaker - which would then drive sales of PowerBuilder
as well.

"Harry Schurink" <h_schurink@tsd.nl> wrote in message
> i can call numerous enhancements PB could "borrow" from crystal reports.
>
> on the other hand: we have encorporated CR heavily in our class, so we
dont
> realy use DWs anymore for printing purposes. (all new reports are made for
> CR)
>
> CR is just much better in this field
>
> Extra advantage for us is that the reports can be developed by other
> personel (service dept.)
>
> DW's can only be developed by the our dev.dept.
>

> my 2p
>
> Grtz
>
> harry
>
> "Clive Collie" <NOSPAM_HERE_clive@clivec.ftech.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> > I have been using Crystal Reports a little of late and have noticed some
> > features that would be eve so useful PB/Infomaker (and would mean I dont
> > have to use Crystal  which would be nice). They have Report Header and
> > Report Footer bands (i.e section that appear only on the first and last
> > pages of a report, and a forced page break. A page break which can go
> > anywhere or can be based on a formula would be a great bonus. We get a
lot
> > of requests for output from our product with these two features (paper
> > reports are alive and well)

You really use Crystal for everything? We've found that Crystal breaks down
rather quickly if you have any volume of data, especially if you have any
subreports. The same reports as Datawindows worked much faster.

"Harry Schurink" <h_schurink@tsd.nl> wrote in message
> i can call numerous enhancements PB could "borrow" from crystal reports.
>
> on the other hand: we have encorporated CR heavily in our class, so we
dont
> realy use DWs anymore for printing purposes. (all new reports are made for
> CR)
>
> CR is just much better in this field
>
> Extra advantage for us is that the reports can be developed by other
> personel (service dept.)
>
> DW's can only be developed by the our dev.dept.
>

> my 2p
>
> Grtz
>
> harry
>
> "Clive Collie" <NOSPAM_HERE_clive@clivec.ftech.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> > I have been using Crystal Reports a little of late and have noticed some
> > features that would be eve so useful PB/Infomaker (and would mean I dont
> > have to use Crystal  which would be nice). They have Report Header and
> > Report Footer bands (i.e section that appear only on the first and last
> > pages of a report, and a forced page break. A page break which can go
> > anywhere or can be based on a formula would be a great bonus. We get a
lot
> > of requests for output from our product with these two features (paper
> > reports are alive and well)

0
Mike
6/27/2002 4:02:54 PM
I've also dealt with quire a few VB programmers who all prefer Infomaker
over CR.  But I agree, the DW is definitely lacking a few CR features.

--

"Mike Kruchten" <mkruchten@fsisolutions.com> wrote in message
> You really use Crystal for everything? We've found that Crystal breaks
down
> rather quickly if you have any volume of data, especially if you have any
> subreports. The same reports as Datawindows worked much faster.
>

> "Harry Schurink" <h_schurink@tsd.nl> wrote in message
> > i can call numerous enhancements PB could "borrow" from crystal reports.
> >
> > on the other hand: we have encorporated CR heavily in our class, so we
> dont
> > realy use DWs anymore for printing purposes. (all new reports are made
for
> > CR)
> >
> > CR is just much better in this field
> >
> > Extra advantage for us is that the reports can be developed by other
> > personel (service dept.)
> >
> > DW's can only be developed by the our dev.dept.
> >

> > my 2p
> >
> > Grtz
> >
> > harry
> >
> > "Clive Collie" <NOSPAM_HERE_clive@clivec.ftech.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> > > I have been using Crystal Reports a little of late and have noticed
some
> > > features that would be eve so useful PB/Infomaker (and would mean I
dont
> > > have to use Crystal  which would be nice). They have Report Header and
> > > Report Footer bands (i.e section that appear only on the first and
last
> > > pages of a report, and a forced page break. A page break which can go
> > > anywhere or can be based on a formula would be a great bonus. We get a
> lot
> > > of requests for output from our product with these two features (paper
> > > reports are alive and well)

0
Terry
6/27/2002 4:10:22 PM
right now we have a mix of CR and DWs
the DW are mostly old reports, the new ones are almost always written in CR.
I think over 90% is better created in CR.
The volume is no prob at all for us, we printen thousands of pages with CR
in a single job
and subreports.. yes, that has always been a problem in CR, but we learned
that we dont need them as much in CR as in DWs
just dont go to the third level with subreports, than you wont have
problems.
the RDC wont let you open third level subreports anyway.

"Mike Kruchten" <mkruchten@fsisolutions.com> schreef in bericht
> You really use Crystal for everything? We've found that Crystal breaks
down
> rather quickly if you have any volume of data, especially if you have any
> subreports. The same reports as Datawindows worked much faster.
>

> "Harry Schurink" <h_schurink@tsd.nl> wrote in message
> > i can call numerous enhancements PB could "borrow" from crystal reports.
> >
> > on the other hand: we have encorporated CR heavily in our class, so we
> dont
> > realy use DWs anymore for printing purposes. (all new reports are made
for
> > CR)
> >
> > CR is just much better in this field
> >
> > Extra advantage for us is that the reports can be developed by other
> > personel (service dept.)
> >
> > DW's can only be developed by the our dev.dept.
> >

> > my 2p
> >
> > Grtz
> >
> > harry
> >
> > "Clive Collie" <NOSPAM_HERE_clive@clivec.ftech.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> > > I have been using Crystal Reports a little of late and have noticed
some
> > > features that would be eve so useful PB/Infomaker (and would mean I
dont
> > > have to use Crystal  which would be nice). They have Report Header and
> > > Report Footer bands (i.e section that appear only on the first and
last
> > > pages of a report, and a forced page break. A page break which can go
> > > anywhere or can be based on a formula would be a great bonus. We get a
> lot
> > > of requests for output from our product with these two features (paper
> > > reports are alive and well)

0
Harry
6/28/2002 6:48:31 AM
thats strange..
controlling the RDC in VB is much easier than in PB....
the documentation for PB is poor or just not there at all, and the
example-pbls are not working at all
if i were a VB programmer.. i would surely use CR
but i am not..  (pfffwww)

harry

"Terry Dykstra" <dontreply_tddykstra@forestoil.ca> schreef in bericht
> I've also dealt with quire a few VB programmers who all prefer Infomaker
> over CR.  But I agree, the DW is definitely lacking a few CR features.
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post.
> MySybase http://my.sybase.com/mysybase
> Search Google: http://groups.google.com
>
> "Mike Kruchten" <mkruchten@fsisolutions.com> wrote in message
> > You really use Crystal for everything? We've found that Crystal breaks
> down
> > rather quickly if you have any volume of data, especially if you have
any
> > subreports. The same reports as Datawindows worked much faster.
> >

> > "Harry Schurink" <h_schurink@tsd.nl> wrote in message
> > > i can call numerous enhancements PB could "borrow" from crystal
reports.

> > > on the other hand: we have encorporated CR heavily in our class, so we
> > dont
> > > realy use DWs anymore for printing purposes. (all new reports are made
> for
> > > CR)
> > >
> > > CR is just much better in this field
> > >
> > > Extra advantage for us is that the reports can be developed by other
> > > personel (service dept.)
> > >
> > > DW's can only be developed by the our dev.dept.
> > >

> > > my 2p
> > >
> > > Grtz
> > >
> > > harry
> > >
> > > "Clive Collie" <NOSPAM_HERE_clive@clivec.ftech.co.uk> schreef in
bericht
> some
> dont
> last
> > lot

0
Harry

How to export all reports to different format and print out all reports
Hello, Everyone. I am using VB.NET I have encounter a problem when there is more than 1 page of report, I can only export the first page to the other format (excel, adobe, word) and also can print only the first page of report only. ***How can I export all pages to the other format and print all pages on the Web?*** Thanks for your patience to view a lot of questions from I, Thank You!!! Dont mind, Can you tell me how to export in diffrent format for single page like (Excel,Adobe,word).. Thanks in advance...MayuR PateLSoftware Developer...

format of printing report
If the report format is that even row and odd row have different background color, I set the property as below: Band object � Detail (1) Autosize Height (2) Expression � Color : if (mod(getrow(), 2) = 0, rgb(240, 240, 240), rgb(255, 255, 255)) Column Object � (1) Position : Autosize Height (2) Expression � Background.color: if (mod(getrow(), 2) = 0, rgb(240, 240, 240), rgb(255, 255, 255)) In the preview of datawindow, the report forma...

Conversion of PowerBuilder Reports to WordPerfect Format
Has anyone ever converted a report from PowerBuilder into a WordPerfect document with the formatting looking the same? We really need to be able to do this. If this is not possible, are there any third party products that would do this? And if this is not possible is there any word processing program a PowerBuilder report can be converted to? Thanks Jerry O'Brien Look at my PowerBuilder-Website on www.Frank-M.Hoyer.com. There is a DW-to-RTF-Tool... Frank --------------------- Jerry O'Brien schrieb: > Has anyone ever converted a report from PowerBuilder into...

Printing formatted text in composite report
In PB 6.5, I have a composite report on which one text field (originally entered using the PB RTE control) that needs to contain tab stops. All I can come up with are vertical bars (leaving the text as ASCII) or boxes (converting to ~t). How can I print the tabs as tabs? Thanks Robin ...

report format changes when previewed or printed
We have recently migrated our PB 4 app to PB 6.5, and the following is occuring: If I look at my report data window as preview, it looks fine. But if I run the report in the app, and preview it or print it, then it garbles the formatting. Cuts off the right section of the report eventhough margins are acceptable, makes lines bold, and increases thickness. Other reports are working fine... What is causing these discrepencies, and how to fix? -- Thanks, Stephane Viau Ottawa, Canada "When I run the report in the app"... Do you mean compiled, and then run on...

Composite report print/print preview cutting last line of multi-page report
I have a Composite report and I am using 8.01. The report is multipage. At the end of each page the last sentence of the page get truncated. For example, When you are at the end of page 1, the last line will get printed half on page 1 and half on page 2.. You can see this effect in print Preview also. Is this a problem?? HOw to resolve it.. Thanks in advance. Pramod pramodrane@hotmail.com Do you have a real large autoheight column in there? It's a known issue (not bug) when you have very large autoheight columns (those that span page breaks). I've had succ...

Crystal Report Report on ASP.net page, report formatting
Hello, I am new in ASP.net/C# 2.0 and Cristal Report, I would like to create some reports using crystal report, my question is: When I build a webpage with report created by Crystal reports, can I print only the report and be well formatted (for paper print), and if, possible, printed in pdf and other format?   Thank a lot for your useful suggestions.   Hello, any help will be very appreciated.   Thank...

printing event after report printing
hellooooi am using a client side print to print my  reports and need to recive anythig tell me that the reort is printed or not to take an action based on this replay is there are any way for thatthanks BolosBolo...

Crystal Report Report format
Hi All, Is it possible to import the report format from a microsoft excel file instead of manually recreating the UI in crystal report? If so how may I go about doing it? Thank you. Regards, leroylll...

Crystal report print words in indian format
HI,   I am using crystal report when i print the amount to words using towords() function but it prints only us format I want indian format anybody know pls help me Change the cultural format settings.    Eric No use... Still it is coming in millions.Tamil Crystal does not provide an in built function for this purpose. You need to write a custome function for this task. You need to define Indian Currency keywords and then break ur amount accordingly e.g. use constants like 'Crores', 'lakhs' etc and then break the numeric or amount field accordingly....

printing rtf format within a datawindow report
Hi, I want to print a report. This report consists of infomations which are grouped. One column in the database contains text formated as rich text. By now I found no way to get a standard datawindow report (tabular) printed together with the rtf column on one page. The report should look like the following: Header XXXXXX YYYYY ZZ RTFText ZZ RTFText ZZ RTFText YYYYY ZZ RTFText ... XXXXX YYYYY ZZ RTFText ... Footer If anyone has an idea ? TiA, Ingolf ...

view and print EPS & PDF format in PowerBuilder.
Hi all, I've used PowerBuilder for about 2 months, now I have a problem, does anyone know how to view and print EPS or PDF format image in datawindow? Since I'm very new to PowerBuilder, if anyone got solution, please help, thanks! Jaffe. The only way to do that is to create a datawindow with an OLE presentation style. Then use ActiveX controls that know how to read the file types you want. For example Adobe Reader, which by the way is distributed for free (www.adobe.com), can read PDF files and it comes with its own ActiveX control. I'm not familiar with ActiveX ...

printing a datawindow report of web applicaition in PowerBuilder 11.5
Hi, I have deployed my appliction in web based using powerbuilder 11.5. I acknowledge that print option will not function as window based, it will first save as PDF file in server and then through Print file manage we can see or take print. Print file manager which is showing in web page after pressing print button of application, showing error as could not "SaveAS did not complete successfully, return code is : -1 ", Even though same code "dw_1.print(false)" is working. I want to know that I will have to change in code or need any configuration or pdf writer s...

Page Numbering Problem in PowerBuilder 6.0 Nested Reports Printing
I am using PowerBuilder 6.0. I have a report that is nested 3 deep. The top level report is grouped on several columns. When the second level report spans pages the page numbering does not work correctly when the report is printed. I am using the general: "Page " + Page() + " of " + PageCount() format in the footer section of the top level report. If the main report goes to multiple pages on grouping without the subreport spanning pages the numbering works correctly. Printing is done from script using dwobject.print(False). If there are 5 pages and...

Web resources about - Printed report formatting - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Text formatting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The most common use of boldface is to highlight the article title, and often synonyms, in the lead section (first paragraph). This is done for ...

Formatting « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers ...
Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers, Law School, Law Suits, Judges and Courts

Android Studio 1.2 Reaches Beta, Adds Built-In Decompiler, Inline Debugger Variables, Smarter Formatting ...
When Android Studio v1.1 entered the Stable channel, about 6 weeks ago, the Dev Tools team gave word that v1.2 was already well underway and ...

TextExpander 2.0 Brings Rich Text Formatting, Fill-In Snippets And More
TextExpander has finally received its big 2.0 update.

WordEver HD - Text Editor with Redesigned Keyboard and MarkDown syntax & formatting highlight
Holen Sie sich „WordEver HD - Text Editor with Redesigned Keyboard and MarkDown syntax & formatting highlight“ im App Store. Sehen Sie sich Screenshots, ...

Macs are vulnerable to Thunderstrike 2 firmware malware that survives formatting
... Thursday, researchers will demonstrate that not only can Macs be remotely infected with malware, but that this malware can survive a user formatting ...

16 Tips on Blog Writing and Formatting
... again. My point is that you ought to take advice with a grain of salt. And that applies to this post as well. Writing blog posts and formatting ...

Select Text With Similar Formatting in Google Docs
Google Docs added a cool new feature that lets you select all the text with similar formatting, so you can quickly make some changes. It's like ...