PowerBuilder future

I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an
article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following:

According to Chen the company had become over-diversified,
and
lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our
businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was
asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP
consulting business - what for? We had a product that
competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to
get rid of some bits and pieces."

In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have
competed with VB is PB? Does Chen's comment refer to
PowerBuilder? Does it mean that sybase will give up
PowerBuilder in the short term?

For further information go the this link

http://www.cbronline.com/content/COMP/magazine/Articles/Features/ExclusiveSybaseCEOIntervi.asp
0
EG

Been there, done that. Please read the GUI Olympics thread on this
newsgroup. John was referring to Visual Components a company bought by
Powersoft in the mid 90s and sold off soon after John arrived.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase

TechWave 2005!
www.sybase.com/techwave

Download an evaluation version of DataWindow .NET 1.5 Today!:
www.sybase.com/datawindow.net

DataWindow.NET code examples available on CodeXchange:
http://datawindownet.codexchange.sybase.com

PowerBuilder 10.5 Beta available August 15th:
http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1036811

On 11 Aug 2005 22:03:26 -0700, EG wrote:

>I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an
>article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following:
>
>According to Chen the company had become over-diversified,
>and
>lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our
>businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was
>asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP
>consulting business - what for? We had a product that
>competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to
>get rid of some bits and pieces."
>
>In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have
>competed with VB is PB? Does Chen's comment refer to
>PowerBuilder? Does it mean that sybase will give up
>PowerBuilder in the short term?
>
>For further information go the this link
>
>http://www.cbronline.com/content/COMP/magazine/Articles/Features/ExclusiveSybaseCEOIntervi.asp

0
dfish
8/12/2005 5:25:41 AM
Thanks David for the clarification

> Been there, done that. Please read the GUI Olympics thread
> on this newsgroup. John was referring to Visual Components
> a company bought by Powersoft in the mid 90s and sold off
> soon after John arrived.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase
>
> TechWave 2005!
> www.sybase.com/techwave
>
> Download an evaluation version of DataWindow .NET 1.5
> Today!: www.sybase.com/datawindow.net
>
> DataWindow.NET code examples available on CodeXchange:
> http://datawindownet.codexchange.sybase.com
>
> PowerBuilder 10.5 Beta available August 15th:
> http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1036811
>
> On 11 Aug 2005 22:03:26 -0700, EG wrote:
>
> >I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an
> >article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following:
> >
> >According to Chen the company had become over-diversified
> , >and
> >lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our
> >businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was
> >asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP
> >consulting business - what for? We had a product that
> >competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to
> >get rid of some bits and pieces."
> >
> >In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have
> >competed with VB is PB? Does Chen's comment refer to
> >PowerBuilder? Does it mean that sybase will give up
> >PowerBuilder in the short term?
> >
> >For further information go the this link
> >
> >http://www.cbronline.com/content/COMP/magazine/Articles/F
> eatures/ExclusiveSybaseCEOIntervi.asp

0
EG

POWERBUILDER FUTURE?
i am in Powerbuilder for past 4 Years.....currently i am in india. But my projects are in my last 4 years almost maintenance & migration to advanced techniques...almost zero development and the sad news is ,powerbuilder developers are very less when compared to advance techniques... u know the PB versions are also coming yearly once & introducing new concepts also almost not useful(i discussed with lot of PB developers almost they are not using the advance techniques) so everybody is going slowly out of PB technology... In india last few years Pb usage is re...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks Bala wrote in message <#AImoYME$GA.270@forums.sybase.com>... >Hi, > >Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - >The Future of Powerbuilder? >Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Except you should not believe everything you read. I remember the mutterings after PB 6.5 and currently Sybase is shipping EAS which PB 7.0 forms part of. Again I was at Sybase TechW...

The future of Powerbuilder
I am looking for opinions and viewpoints. I think Powerbuilder has 2 distinct and quite different markets. The small to medium sized software market and corporate IT market. In the software market where results are easy to measure on the bottom line I think PB is doing just fine. The productivity, efficiency and swift development process suites that market just fine. Just keep your customers happy. I am amazed at what I have seen in PB based software packages considering the total lack of documentation. That speaks volume on the capabilities of PB if you just get into it. O...

The Future of PowerBuilder
Hello! Earlier this year, I came across an article in one of the weekly industry newspapers that stated that Sybase was telling major customers that PowerBuilder will be discontinued after version 8.0. (I can't remember which newspaper had the story and I can't seem locate it by doing a Google search. But I'm not making this up - I really did see it.) At the PowerBuilder Information Site ( www.justpbinfo.com ) I came across the following article: ------------------------------------------------ The Future of PowerBuilder Is there life after PowerBuilder 8? Rum...

The future of PowerBuilder...
That subject line should get your attention. <g> I'm very pleased with the participation in this group. We've obviously provided a well for a very thirsty group of developers! As you may or may not know, PB 9 is about to go into Beta and the feature set has pretty much been frozen. I know a lot of these requests are for very useful features and hopefully many will some day be incorporated into PB. I don't know what can be done for PB 9 at this point. Just don't want to falsely get people's hopes up. What I would like to do, is raise the discussion to a h...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hello Every one!!, Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web dependendent. I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now. could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar techonologies or should i get along with PB?? Please respond to me... Thanks!! Regards, Dhawan. It never hurts to expand your skillset by picking up new languages. PowerBuilder is still going strong, Syb...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks ComputerWorld!!! What a piece of .... I haven't read the article, but I don't have to. I had a subscription to ComputerWorld once. ComputerWorld was one of the biggest fans of the Apple is dead movement. Guess they were wrong there... The journalism in that magazine is terrible. Over the course of a year subscription, I read most of the articles for about six months. Then I threw it away until the subscription ...

The future of powerbuilder #3
Hi, all I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what is the future of PowerBuilder? Thanks "Taoge" <luxiaotao@hotmail.com> wrote: > I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems > powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what > is the future of PowerBuilder? http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future/powerbuilder_s_future.html Dmitri. Dmitri, do You like the ...

The Future of Powerbuilder #2
I work for a fortune 500 company who is looking at developing a client server software package. It is of course geared to be web enabled as well as normal client server. As a Powerbuilder and Visual Basic programmer for more than 8 years I believe that going with Powerbuilder on this project is a good decision, my colleagues and managers does not. It has been rumored for some time now that Powerbuilder is dying a slow but eminent death and I'm rather saddened by this since I personally feel Powerbuilder is a great tool to work with. I couldn't find any substantial informa...

As he is the future real of PowerBuilder?
Hi As he is the future real of PowerBuilder? Law some post and some articles where they say that PowerBuilder does not have future, this tool is very beautiful and me q pain to know that there is no future in her. Perhaps I am mistaken or I am confusing the things. Lima - Per=fa Yeah, I read back in late 1999 in articles and posts that all the computers in the world were going to crash causing a worldwide panic leading to the destruction of civilization. Then came Britney Spears. They were right. <L.Barzi> wrote in message news:45018540.f94.1681692777@sybase.com...

Future of IT and place for PowerBuilder???
Hi all: As you know, we've gone through many changes in IT: 1. Mainframe Computing 2. Client Server 3. Distributed (3-Tier) 4. Distributed (N-Tier/Web) Given the fact that there's a possibility of great improvements in network speeds and improved deployment methods, which of the following in your opinion would become popular? 1. Thin-client, multi-tier, non-browser based technology become popular (and hence boost PB market???) 2. Thin-client, multi-tier, browser-based web-technology (featuring rich-client look) (and consequently PowerBuilder would evolve into a web...

PowerBuilder futures webcast...
December 11 and 12 http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1022611,00.html?source=newsgroups From the webpage: "Join Dr. Raj Nathan, Senior VP and GM of the Sybase Enterprise Solutions Division, for his Webcast presentation on the future of PowerBuilder! IT executives, directors, managers, and developers won�t want to miss this! Dr. Nathan will discuss the state of the applications market, the industry segments in which PowerBuilder is situated today and will be in the future, and the strategic thrusts for PowerBuilder going forward." Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybas...

Future of PowerBuilder #2
Hi, Can anybody point me to a good documentation or an article about the future or the prospect of PowerBuilder?? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks AK; There are MANY threads in sybase.public.powerbuilder.futures.discussions NG. Here is a link to a very knowledgeable website: (http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future2 /powerbuilder_s_future2.html) HTH, Austin <AK> wrote in message news:3f3bf83f.5e1.846930886@sybase.com... > Hi, > Can anybody point me to a good documentation or an article > about the future or t...

JAVA PowerBuilder future
Hi: For Pb 6.0 users How is java been utilized by the new version and do you think a good knowledge in Java will be helpful Thank you ...

Web resources about - PowerBuilder future - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles