pb 6.5, pb 7.0, pb 8.0 and future releases

I have designed an app using PB 6.5.1 and feel quite confortable to write
another app using this version of Power Buulder. I am aware that there have
been many other releases after this but have heard many developers complain
about not being stable and so forth. I can't say how true this is cause I
never bothered to update to later releases. I recently got a contract for a
new app and quite likely will be using Power Biulder but I am wondering if
am cheating myself by not trying to upgrade myself to a later release of
Power Biulder.

Thanks.

Charlie.
1
Charlie

Charlie

    You will loose ... Big time!

    As a contractor myself, I only accept work in the newer releases. My
clients look to me for guidance in assimilating the newer technologies. If
you can not get field experience in the latest software, I find your
contractibility goes way down! Most clients want current experience,
especially now with newer DBMS's, techniques, Web, etc

My $0.02 worth!

regards ... Chris

<Charlie> wrote in message
> I have designed an app using PB 6.5.1 and feel quite confortable to write
> another app using this version of Power Buulder. I am aware that there
have
> been many other releases after this but have heard many developers
complain
> about not being stable and so forth. I can't say how true this is cause I
> never bothered to update to later releases. I recently got a contract for
> new app and quite likely will be using Power Biulder but I am wondering if
> am cheating myself by not trying to upgrade myself to a later release of
> Power Biulder.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Charlie.

-1
Chris
10/29/2002 6:07:20 PM
In addition to what Chris said I would find it risky working with
software no longer supported by the vendor. If you run into something
that you cannot work around, and you have a contract to deliver
something, that can be quite a liability.

I've found PB 8 to be as stable for me as PB 6.5.1 was. I'm currently
using PB 8.0.3 and haven't had any issues with it.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:13:15 -0500, Charlie wrote:

>I have designed an app using PB 6.5.1 and feel quite confortable to write
>another app using this version of Power Buulder. I am aware that there have
>been many other releases after this but have heard many developers complain
>about not being stable and so forth. I can't say how true this is cause I
>never bothered to update to later releases. I recently got a contract for a
>new app and quite likely will be using Power Biulder but I am wondering if
>am cheating myself by not trying to upgrade myself to a later release of
>Power Biulder.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Charlie.

1
dfish
10/29/2002 8:33:14 PM
I agree with Chris and Dave, plus the fact that you will eventually need
support for new versions of the operating system [I didn't say Windows
because I think Linux on the desktop is about ready to make a splash] and
DBMS. The only risk is that the vendor may deprecate a feature you rely on,
such as DPB.

Charlie wrote in message
<016861E9444B2E92005E98D085256C61.005E98EB85256C61@webforums>...
>I have designed an app using PB 6.5.1 and feel quite confortable to write
>another app using this version of Power Buulder. I am aware that there have
>been many other releases after this but have heard many developers complain
>about not being stable and so forth. I can't say how true this is cause I
>never bothered to update to later releases. I recently got a contract for a
>new app and quite likely will be using Power Biulder but I am wondering if
>am cheating myself by not trying to upgrade myself to a later release of
>Power Biulder.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Charlie.

0
Jerry
10/30/2002 3:12:22 PM
Jerry;

    Nice touch for the dig on DPB! I could sure use it again!

Regards ... Chris

"Jerry Siegel" <jerrys@data-sci.com.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> I agree with Chris and Dave, plus the fact that you will eventually need
> support for new versions of the operating system [I didn't say Windows
> because I think Linux on the desktop is about ready to make a splash] and
> DBMS. The only risk is that the vendor may deprecate a feature you rely
on,
> such as DPB.
>
> Charlie wrote in message
> <016861E9444B2E92005E98D085256C61.005E98EB85256C61@webforums>...
> >I have designed an app using PB 6.5.1 and feel quite confortable to write
> >another app using this version of Power Buulder. I am aware that there
have
> >been many other releases after this but have heard many developers
complain
> >about not being stable and so forth. I can't say how true this is cause I
> >never bothered to update to later releases. I recently got a contract for
> >new app and quite likely will be using Power Biulder but I am wondering
if
> >am cheating myself by not trying to upgrade myself to a later release of
> >Power Biulder.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Charlie.

0
Chris

PB 7.0 or PB 6.5 or PB 6.0 or PB5.04

PB 5.0 to PB 6.5, 7.x, 8.0??
I have a client who needs to move from an initial PB 5.0 release (no patches applied) to a newer version of PB. This is a small internal application but they would like to open it up via the internet in the future. They are currently running on a SQL Anywhere DB but would be looking to change that also. I don't have any hands on experience with PB 7.x but from what I heard and read it hasn't been that great. I've been using PB 6.5 since build 444 and was thinking of recommending that they make the move to 6.5 first and then wait for PB 8.0 later this year. Any thoug...

Oracle Client 8.1.7
Hi all, I have a question about compatibility between PB native driver and oracle sql*net for different versions of Power Builder. We have 3 applications developed in 3 different versions of Power Builder: 5.00.0.0, 6.5.1.620 and 7.0.10047 All of them are using the Oracle Client 8.1.6 and accessing via PB Native Driver to Oracle. Although this is combination is not supported, the person in charge of the PB part tested this combination and decided to upgrade the oracle client from version 7.3.X to 8.1.6. So far it is working properly for us. Now, if it is decided to move to ora...

PB 6 and PB 6.5 Upgrade to PB 8.0 in OS W2K Professional
PB 6 and PB 6.5 crash in OS W2K Professional: I notice that I need to upgrade to 6.5.1 as well as EBF 1299. However, I am only able to get 6.5.1. Where can I get the optionally patch EBF 1299? Is there any document to indicate any known problem in OS W2K for 6.0 and 6.5? PB 6 and PB 6.5 Upgrade to PB 8.0: Can be upgrade from 6.0 and/or 6.5 directly to 8.0? Is 8.0 support WIN XP? Regards. Set your timeframe to 'ALL' on http://downloads.sybase.com. While that is the most current build, it was released at least over 6 months ago (the default timeframe of this site)...

PB 8 and PB 6.5, 7.0
Can you deploy Powerbuilder 8 and Powerbuilder 6.5 / 7.0 apps on the same system? Are there any issues with shared DLLs. From what I was told the DLLs are named different, but has anyone actually tried this? I have PBL Peeper 5, 6, 7 and 8 on my system. I often run multiple versions simultaneously. No problems. Good luck, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:06:51 -0500, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Charles <nospam@ssc.nasa.gov> wrote: >Can you deploy Powerbuilder 8 and Powerbuilder 6.5 / 7.0 apps on the >sa...

PB 7.0 to PB 5.0
Hi I am currently a PB7.0 programmer(1 year exp), but I found a new job which using PB5.0. My question is:Is it will very difficult for me(focus on syntax, powerful...) thank you very much Having done the same thing... almost... in the other direction, I can say that the actual coding portion of PB hasn't changed drastically between 5 and 7. There was a major rework of the IDE between 6 and 7, but extremely little change in syntax and/or available commands. There were, however, a few new features in 6 that weren't in 5 (shared objects, for one). Not a lot, t...

Error connecting Pb 6.5 and Pb 7.0 to SQL SERVER 7.0 desktop(Window 98)
Today(9 Sep 1999), I can't connect to SQL Server 7.0 before this i can connect it. It give an Error "Unable to connect : SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist, Specified SQl Server not found ". I have check with Query analyzer , the Query analyzer can connect very well. Any one this have this problem, and how to solve this ??? TIA -- Regards Daniel Fransius not enough information... are you trying to use OLE DB ? ODBC ? Native driver ? What about security settings on the server ? What user id and password are you passing ? There is a lot of things ...

Can the PB 6.5 or 6.5.1 maintenance release be ran on PB 6.0
Yes. ...

PB GPFs while migrating an app from PB 5.0.2 to PB 8.0.1
Hi, I am trying to migrate an application from PB 5.0.02 to PB 8.0.01. The application runs perfectly under PB 5.0.02. While migrating the app, I get the following message: Pb80 has caused an error in PBVM80.DLL. Then PB crashes. Any suggestions? Moreover, does anyone know of some white paper with some advices on migrating apps? Thx Luca Before migrating, you should run the Migration Assistant (File / New / Tools). Make any suggested changes with PB5 before migrating. Of course, backup, backup, backup. Then, optimize all the PBLs and do a Full Rebuild (Library Pain...

Migrate/Upgrade from PB 5.0.xx to PB 8.0/9.0
Hi, I am having the PB 5.0.xx Applications running on my pc at this moment. I have to Migrate/Upgrade them to PB 8/9. What is the best way to get this? Can any one give me some guidance on this? Thanks for your Help in Advance Regards Migrating: - Backup - Optimize in PB5 - Full Rebuild in PB5, with Information and Warning messages turned on - Backup, send it offside - Run Migration Assistant (File / New / Tools in PB8/9) - Fix the identified issues using PB5 <doublechecking> - Optimize in PB5 - Full Rebuild in PB5, with Information and Warning messages t...

Migration from PB 5.0 to PB 7.0
Hi All, While using the Migration assistant to check if any of the functions being currently used in our application have become Obsolete.I got these error messages PBORCA LIBRARY - Entry Information Failed and PBORCA error message Obsolete - Replaced by f-wait in n_cst_datetime was not found. Error No: 3 These error messages were displayed for the PFC and PFE PBL's. Could anyone please give any suggestions... TIA, Sg Here's a hunch. Check for duplicate PowerBuilder DLLs or mismatched DLLs being loaded. A good tool to check what's being loaded is HandleEx...

Web resources about - pb 6.5, pb 7.0, pb 8.0 and future releases - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

Press Release Rocket - News and Current Events
By Toi Williams on December 24, 2014 Workers at more than 1,400 Walmart stores across the nation are set to see their pay rise next year as ...

Software release life cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The origin of the "alpha/beta" test terminology is IBM. As long ago as the 1950s (and probably earlier), IBM used similar terminology for their ...

Nuance releases new Dragon Anywhere app on iOS w/ continuous cloud-based dictation
... Anywhere , iOS , Nuance For more news on Apps , iOS , and App Store continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Nuance releases ...

Gameloft releases Sniper Fury shooter, teases Gods of Rome fighter
The renowned game developer Gameloft has just released a new mobile game. In addition, it has begun teasing its next major title. Shoot to kill ...

Apple Releases Swift as Open Source
CUPERTINO, California — December 3, 2015 — Apple® today announced that its Swift™ programming language is now open source. As an open source ...

Baroness release new song "Morningstar"
by Rob Sperry-Fromm Baroness continue to stoke anticipation for Purple today, releasing the third single "Morningstar" on the heels of "Chlorine ...

White Student Union Releases Demands On Behalf Of ‘Europe@n’ Students
White Student Union Releases Demands On Behalf Of ‘Europe@n’ Students

‘Midnight Rider’ Director Randall Miller Seeks Early Release From Jail
... in connection with the death of camera assistant Sarah Jones on the set of Midnight Rider , have filed a motion for his early release from jail. ...

HoniePop dev offers $1 million for the rights to release Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 in the US
For the time being, publisher Koei Tecmo has no plans to release Dead or Alive Xtreme 3, a spin off staring the comely ladies of the Dead or ...

Sheriff Releases Names of Those Killed in San Bernardino Mass Shooting
Police have released the names, ages, and hometowns of the 14 people killing in Wednesday’s mass shooting in San Bernardino, California: Read ...